PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you don't have a clue?

vinny t
15-03-2009, 00:40
Well, after a recent tournament, I have come up with a few problems relating to my chaos army. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my warriors, but the chaos book just seems too strict. Well, I have roughly 3000 points of warriors, and I just don't know whether to expand with them, and start a new chaos army theme, (Valkia, Throgg, all mounted, mono-god), or just start a new army (Lizardmen).

Well, the pros and cons of each

Chaos

Pros
*Can swap around units if I have 2-3 "armies"
*Already have an idea on how to play them
*Love the models and the fluff

Cons
*Restrictive playstyle
*Expensive

Lizardmen

Pros
*Great Models
*Various ways to play them
*Lots of plastic, so very cheap

Cons
*New army, so somewhat disorienting
*Might end up being expensive in the long run

So, what to do?

I love the idea of a fast skink scouting patrol, with terradons and steggies, so that would be the army I would do.
Whichever one you pick, feel free to tell me why you picked that reason and show me the errors of my ways

Thanks

W0lf
15-03-2009, 01:04
Lizards.

WoC as you said are very restrictive as you said.

SuperArchMegalon
15-03-2009, 01:12
If you're willing to spend on a new army, get one. 3000 points is more than enough. Starting a new army is great because you get ten times the variety a new WoC army (such asThrogg) would give you. When you're about to play a game instead of deciding what characters you want to throw down, you can instead choose a whole new army depending on how you feel.

selone
15-03-2009, 01:22
Obey the voices. Buy a new army.

Ultimo ninja
15-03-2009, 03:28
I have a WOC army, and after its at 2000, im going lizardmen.... these 2 are great armies to collect.

Ward.
15-03-2009, 07:06
I'd encourage you to get some trolls for a chance to use a throg list but it sounds like deep down you know you want a new army.

Hrogoff the Destructor
15-03-2009, 07:10
I'd go lizards. They have a ton of variety.

TrojanWolf
15-03-2009, 08:08
You might as well try a new army, and maybe you'll want to go back to Chaos at a later point. I'll be starting Vampire Counts when I get some free time (read: after I finish the 500pt Easterling army the manager at my local GW just challenged me to build...).

Sidorio
15-03-2009, 08:39
Get lizards. I'm probably going to get them after i finaly get around to finishing my Dark Elf army.

Shiodome
15-03-2009, 09:15
only start a new army if you've finished painting all of the last one! must... finish... projects. i mutter this to myself daily :D

Desert Rain
15-03-2009, 10:20
As you said Warriors lack flexibility. Lizardmen on the other hand have lot's of flexibility.
It sounds like you want something different and if that's the case I would advise you to start with Lizardmen as they will be something fresh and new.

O&G'sRule
15-03-2009, 14:53
As someone who has a throgg monster army I can tell you its an amusing army to use every now and then but its not the most effective. It has the same problems that ogre kingdoms has, only slightly worse as theres only one character (2 if you take Kholek) and no magic

vinny t
15-03-2009, 15:45
Thanks guys. Looks like lizardmen for me! But, I would like to know what units I should use for a "scouting patrol" army. It seems like loads of skinks and very few saurus, but I would like to know what you all think.

swarmofseals
15-03-2009, 16:02
Thanks guys. Looks like lizardmen for me! But, I would like to know what units I should use for a "scouting patrol" army. It seems like loads of skinks and very few saurus, but I would like to know what you all think.

Hmm. Well if you *really* want to make it a scouting patrol I would think you'd go for mostly skinks/kroxigor and skink skirmishers for troops, lots of chameleon skinks and terradons, some cold one riders, and some hunting packs (razordons, salamanders). def. no slann, no temple guard, no stegadons (far too big and noisy to make good scouts).

Personally I think that going for a strict scouting party theme would be too limiting because stegadons and slann are really important to the variety people have been talking about.

Maybe organize your army into two distinct detachments? Say, 1500 points of scouting detachment and then 1500 points of main force. Paint them in a way that keeps a unifying theme between the two detachments but also makes each detachment unique and internally consistent.

rottahn
15-03-2009, 17:39
starting a new army is always fun, if you can afford the models and have time to paint it.

WoC are a fun army, but way restrictive. :)
if WoC could have a unit of skirmishers, they would be a lot better.

Shiodome
15-03-2009, 18:17
i'd go with mainly skinks etc, but with one block of saurus... for me any scouting patrol is scouting 'for' someone (the guys that deal with a threat once found). and once they find it they call in the saurus on standby close to hand.

more than 1 unit of saurus would just make it a normal army though, so wouldn't take more than 1.

thisisntnotjt
15-03-2009, 19:05
I agree, you should get a wood elf army.:D

O&G'sRule
15-03-2009, 19:06
you could just have cold one riders if you need saurus

vinny t
15-03-2009, 20:10
Thisisntnotjt, would you happen to know anyone selling woodelves?;)
No, I like the idea of 12 men spear saurus a lot, and would like to use them as a solid centre, while supported by loads of skirmishing skinks. I don't like Kroxigor because they ar expensive and "only" strength 6, I love terradons because they're flying lizards with little lizards o top who drop rocks. How cool is that? How woould you fir that in with the "scouting patrol" fluff, and are their any temple cities with a predominantly skink army?

Desert Rain
15-03-2009, 21:03
Kroxigors are not as good as they were but they are still very useful. especially in units of skinks. Terradons would fit in excellently in a scouting force, who wouldn't want some flyers if you were out scouting?
Personally I don't like a single unit of 12, they are to squishy and will most likley be decimated by shooting, or ingored if you're lucky. I would buust them to 15, 18 or 2o instead to make them much more solid.