PDA

View Full Version : All things Guard

Gus Train
15-03-2009, 03:46
So after a lengthy break due to other, non-Warhammer related issues, I've come back to the game to find my favourite army of all time (IG) are getting a new 'dex with a plethora of units and plastics! Hooray! There is one short-coming of all this however and that's basically -- they're Cadian.

Don't get me wrong, the new command-squad look great but personally I find the armoured Cadians a little... Startrooper-eqsue. However, despite being far less aesthetically appealing in contrast to many other Guard armies, it seems there is little other choice.

My favourite by far are the Mordian Iron Guard, followed by the Death Korps but the former only exists in ugly, out-dated models with little variety and the latter is way beyond what I'm prepared to spend at the present.

So I'm wondering, how feasible would it be too buy boxes of Cadians and then order bits from a private company to get large quantities of the coat-wearing torso's from the tank sprues and officer heads? Sure I'd still be stuck with shoulder pads instead of the nice frilly shoulders regular Mordians have but it seems like the closest I can get. The other question I have is (having not constructed a Leman Russ in some time or any other guard for that matter) is there an officer head with the cap with a blank expression? No open mouth, no comms-set, no bionic eye... I figured having the same head for every rank and file would actually look quite good for the discipline-mad, stoney-faced Mordians, but not if they're all screaming. So yeah, does such a head exist?

Battle-Brother Wags
15-03-2009, 03:53
Don't get me wrong, the new command-squad look great but personally I find the armoured Cadians a little... Startrooper-eqsue.

If by Startrooper you mean Starship Troopers, then rest assured, GW did not copy the StarShip Troopers as in Mobile Infantry of the absurdly lame movie series, which didn't even pretend to follow what the MI was all about in the book. It is actually pretty clear that Space Marine armor was in part influenced by Heinlein's discription of marauder armor. But I'm getting tangential . . . The movie Starship Troopers came well after the cadian models, so if you don't like the models, don't let it be because of some lame movie that got so much stuff wrong that it makes me sick thinking of how bad they butchered the classic novel.

Gus Train
15-03-2009, 04:08
Rest assured, I was into 40K a long time before I even watched those movies and yes, they were terrible (I mean hell I even got the name wrong, shows how much of an impression they left on me), but the Cadian armour still seems far too cliched for futuristic, human soldiers. I like the less-armoured look. I want my soldiers displaying their pride and faith in the Emperor's protection (An Eagle on a thin cloth cap covering their skull) in a very Commissar-like fashion.

Besides, this isn't a debate over who likes the Cadian models and who doesn't, I just want to know how I can get around them and create some Mordians :)

GeneralBUTTERBAR
15-03-2009, 04:34
Actually with how things will be going (price wise) with the new 10 man boxes of cadians/catachens at 22.00 per, you wont be that far off by buying the metal Mordians. That's compared to new Guard players starting their collections. I say this with the comparison of 20 cadians for 30'ish versus 10 metal for 35.00

edit: this is US dollars I'm refering to

Lawkeeper
15-03-2009, 07:00
=The movie Starship Troopers came well after the cadian models, so if you don't like the models, don't let it be because of some lame movie that got so much stuff wrong that it makes me sick thinking of how bad they butchered the classic novel.

But if you've seen without reading the book, it's a pretty cool movie. I think you don't like because they didn't stick to the book.

Explodingboy
15-03-2009, 08:35
is there an officer head with the cap with a blank expression? No open mouth, no comms-set, no bionic eye... I figured having the same head for every rank and file would actually look quite good for the discipline-mad, stoney-faced Mordians, but not if they're all screaming. So yeah, does such a head exist?

WestWind have allot of WW2 heads, if your after field caps. Also the Cadian shoulder pads aren't to hard to file away.

Bunnahabhain
15-03-2009, 13:58
Try these:

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/_product_32543/British_Firing_Line_-_Zulu_War

28mm British redcoats, circa Zula war. 15 USD for 20.

To make them into Mordians, you'll want to replace their guns, and to leave off the pith helmets,( seperate heads and helmets!) and green-stuff them some uniform caps, which isn't too hard

sigur
15-03-2009, 17:12
Can't you get real Mordians from ebay and other second hand sources? And don't you call them "lame" or "outdated". :mad:

WhiteKnight
15-03-2009, 22:32
UGH! Why must they be cadian! The Imperial Guard have millions of regiments across thousands of worlds, not just the cadians. I personally dislike the models too. They're so bland and there's not much room for poses either. I hope that I can still have my catachans since well, they're cooler IMO.

Well with the new codex arriving in about a month and 2 weeks, I guess we better get ready for the change and stock up before the price raise happens. So I say buy what we can before things get too expensive.

Maine
16-03-2009, 02:47
UGH! Why must they be cadian! The Imperial Guard have millions of regiments across thousands of worlds, not just the cadians. I personally dislike the models too. They're so bland and there's not much room for poses either. I hope that I can still have my catachans since well, they're cooler IMO.

They've never said (and they WONT say) you can't use non-Cadian IG models - in fact, they're releasing Catachan command set too. I'm sure they'll continue to sell their metal models as well (I play Steel Legion).

RichBlake
16-03-2009, 06:03

To be fair unless you're playing as Catatchans, Mordians, Tallarn, Valhallans, Vostroyans, Steel Legion, Death Korp or Elysians (think I didn't forget any) then you'll be a Cadian player.

I play Cadians, I have done ever since they were metal, I played them during the Eye of Terror campaign and I continue to use their doctrine set despite it not being great. I also insist of Sharpshooters for line squads despite not really being worth it.

I have a friend or two who plays Guard who doesn't play Cadians, just uses the "Cadian" models. Sadly since the explanation is "WOAH the Cadians are that good people copy their equipment!" people are always seen to be "Cadian" players even if they aren't.

Also I think in the new 'dex everyone will just be "Imperial Guard" using different models.

Col.Gravis
16-03-2009, 12:26
To be fair unless you're playing as Catatchans, Mordians, Tallarn, Valhallans, Vostroyans, Steel Legion, Death Korp or Elysians (think I didn't forget any) then you'll be a Cadian player.

You did :mad: ;)

RichBlake
16-03-2009, 12:54
You did :mad: ;)

To be honest I actually thought of Praetonians but then realised I know no-one who collects them and you can't buy them any more. Also GW doesn't even acknowledge them in the fluff :(

If you collect Praetonians you'll probably be known as "That guy who uses those non-GW models" :p

Col.Gravis
16-03-2009, 12:59
Curious, I know more people personally who collect Praetorians then Tallarn, Valhallan, Mordian and Catachan combined ;) but not to worry lol

sigur
16-03-2009, 13:08
No big surprise there. You're like the president of international Praetorianism after all. :p

Maarten K
16-03-2009, 13:28
The movie Starship Troopers came well after the cadian models

No it didn't, the movie is from '97. back then we barely had, if already, the plastic catachans. The plastic cadians are most likely not based on, but inspired by starship troopers. All guard armies are based on a suitable historic period/movie. The cadians are the only exception as that they are inspired by near future sci-fi.

Praetorians are very nice (I have an army of them) but not very warhammer: they lack the gritty dark theme. various manucarturers sell fieldcap heads. mixed with the cadians they make acceptable, if overarmoured mordians.

Mannimarco
16-03-2009, 14:37
praetorians are still available from the GW online store under the guard collector models, theres a box of 10 of them, including 10 man boxes for mordians, valhallans and tallarns

sliganian
16-03-2009, 14:50
But if you've seen without reading the book, it's a pretty cool movie. I think you don't like because they didn't stick to the book.

No, the movie is a mind-numbing exercise in suck, but I don't expect that view to be popular.

Col.Gravis
16-03-2009, 15:30
praetorians are still available from the GW online store under the guard collector models, theres a box of 10 of them, including 10 man boxes for mordians, valhallans and tallarns

No they're not... Praetorians hav'nt been available even from the collectors range since the revamp.

Captain Micha
16-03-2009, 15:43
I heart my Cadian models.

I do like Mordians alot too though. They were the first ones I wanted to make with Guard till I found out I couldn't get mordians in mass quantities.

Maarten K
16-03-2009, 16:15
No, the movie is a mind-numbing exercise in suck, but I don't expect that view to be popular.

It's very warhammer though: sacrificing loads of troops, massive pointless ground-assaults; complete abscence of tactics; manportable grenade launched nukes, psyker, commisar-style training. The only thing lacking are loads of skulls. I think the movie paints a pretty good image of how the guard works.

Starchild
16-03-2009, 16:23
So I'm wondering, how feasible would it be too buy boxes of Cadians and then order bits from a private company to get large quantities of the coat-wearing torso's from the tank sprues and officer heads?

It wouldn't be feasible at all. The best option is to sculpt your own parts with plastic bits and epoxy putty, then copy the finished masters with molding rubber and casting resin. The process can be somewhat time consuming, but the results are worth it.

Avoid using Allumilite, as this resin has a five minute cure time-- not nearly enough time for proper mixing and pouring. The resin from Micromark is much better because you can get resin with 15 minute or 30 minute cure times.