PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt VC List. Please comment.

jma037
03-05-2005, 06:14
Hi guys, can you please comment on my VC list. The VC will run around killing everything, the wight lord will be in the skeletons, the necro will hide in the grave guards and the trall will lead the bannered black knights.

Ideas, Comments, Suggestions?

Cheers

VC
-lvl 2
-Nightmare
-barding
-Aura of dark Majesty
-Wasitband of black gold OR ring of the night
-Sword of power
-additional hand weapon

Thrall
-Nightmare
-barding
-Heavy armour
-shield
-Walking death
-Black Periapt
-lance

Wight Lord
-Sword of Kings
-Heavy Armour
-Enchanted Shield

Necromancer
-lvl 2
-dispel scroll
-Book of Arkhan

Skeletons X 27
Full Command

Zombies X 13
2/3 command

93pts
-full command
-banner of barrows

Black Knights X 5
-barding
-full command
-screaming banner

Black Knights X 5
-barding
-full command

Total:2001pts

Ideas, Comments, Suggestions?

AngelofSorrow
03-05-2005, 06:34
First off u cannot use the additional Hand weapon while mounted or with a magic weapon so that is useless, A bit too many skellies drop the extra 7 invest ina few more zombies for those units u can always make em bigger
Overall not too bad lookin I think other than I prefer Lahmia Vampires or Strigoi Vamps but thats just me

devolutionary
03-05-2005, 07:12
I'm trying to figure out why you have two small units of Black Knights. You could just as easily modify the Thrall for foot based combat and shove him with the Grave Guard to protect the Necro, merge the two Black Knight units (saving you the command), place the VC with them, and have a decent sized heavy hitter instead of two small units that are guaranteed to lose a lot of combats due to being outnumbered. Sure, you can't break, but if you can't break them, then potentially you could be held up for a long time.

Other than that, it looks fine... just those small units that make me nervous :p

jma037
03-05-2005, 22:41
Thanks for the reply, well, you might have guessed, I'm an empire player getting into VC. I normally have two 5 nilla knights in my Empire list for flanking.

Questions:
1) can you have two char joining the same unit? If not, what do you mean putting the trall in the GG to protect the necro?

2) what do you think of the set up of the four charactors? How would you set them up? as you can see, i'm trying to Max out the points on them.

Changes:
Knights merged to form one big unit. VC joining the knights.

Skeletons droped to 24, the zombies are now 15 each.

Trall is now on foot in the GG.

I don't have the army book on me now so I can't work out the points. But i'll do it when I get home. The points left over, what do you think I should spend it on?

I plan to "grow" the zombie units and the skeleton unit in the first two turns. while they are marching towards the enermy. Then use other spells. Feasible?

Comments, Ideas, suggestions, land claimes?

Cheeers

devolutionary
04-05-2005, 07:53
I dont see any rule that says only one character per unit. If there is, then I think I should find out ASAP before I field a VC with a VT Standard in my own Black Knights.

For the characters, I'd have the Lord with the Black Knights for impact, Necro and Thrall with the Grave Guard for survivability, and the Wight Lord with the Skeletons to simply provide some punch. The Zombies are there as units to tie up flankers, IMO.

Saying that, I'm developing Blood Dragons, so I only have the Thrall and Count in my force, relying on mass skeleton ranks. Apart from that, it all seems pretty fine to me, though the extra points from the changes could be well spent on more rank and file, like skeletons or maybe Dire Wolves/bats for some speed

gukal
05-05-2005, 19:24
I plan to "grow" the zombie units and the skeleton unit in the first two turns. while they are marching towards the enermy. Then use other spells. Feasible?

At this level of magic (PD6?), most of the time you will add very few models in the course of a battle. You may not add any. A magic heavy army will prevent most/all of your raising and obliterate the units you do have from magic missiles/shooting.

I prefer to start with large blocks ... that way I can immediately begin raising flanking forces. At worst, I advance with a horde. At best, I completely surround him. In order to do this effectively, you've got to cut back on the spending for heroes.

Oguleth
07-05-2005, 22:42
Magic first: With only 6 PD, you will seldom be able to raise a lot of stuff. Starting with pretty big blocks (like 20 at least for the units), would be a better idea than trying to raise things during the battle. If you get to raise, make new ones for speed bumps etc. Having only one scrolls seems kinda risky if you ask me..

Black Knights. I`d rather keep the two units of 5 than have one big one with count, just have a champ, and use them for flanking stuff that you have locked in combat with the foot units. Don`t put banners on them since you shouldn`t charge stuff where you need the banner (ie things that isn`t in combat with your combat infantry or stuff that you won`t just make a mess of at once), so just use the champ on them.

AFAIK the Periapt is an arcane item, so the Thrall cannot have it. (Since he`s not a magic user).

Consider giving the Thrall Wolf Form and Flayed Hauberk and put him in one of the non-GG units. Can be a nasty surprise to chariots, or he can run to other places on the field where he is needed, or just able help the infantry win the combat. Putting him in the GG unit will only make that unit a bit better, while the other stuff can`t win any combats. Having more than just one unit being able to fend for itself without help is often quite good... Having the lord ride around charging in where he is needed is also a good idea, though it would seem he`s a bit vulnerable with so little magic defence... So consider putting him in one of the small black knight units until the enemy magic phase isn`t much of a threat.

I miss support units like Bats, Ghouls and wolves, but I guess you don`t like such things, since there are none in the list?