PDA

View Full Version : Terrain placement

blurred
15-03-2009, 13:36
Hi all,

just a small questionnaire about your terrain placement habits.

1) How do you set up the terrain (roll dice, third party etc.)?

2) Do you use the "no terrain within 12 inches from the centre" rule?

3) How many terrain pieces do you use in a regular pitched battle game?

4) What kind of terrain do you use?

Here are my answers:

1) How do you set up the terrain (roll dice, third party etc.)? We place the terrain pieces in the middle of the table and use scatter dice and 4d6 to determine where each of them lands. Sometimes this takes some tweaking, but this is usually done in a gentlemanly fashion.

2) Do you use the "no terrain within 12 inches from the centre" rule? Nope. However, with the way we place our terrain the middle of the board usually ends up quite open.

3) How many terrain pieces do you use in a regular pitched battle game? Five to seven usually. At least two of these are hills which are placed at the edges of the board.

4) What kind of terrain do you use? Three or four hills, two forests and maybe a building or two. Our gaming board is the Citadel Battlemat so there's plenty of open ground also (and our hills are not very broad).

So now you. :)

EDIT: One more question: How important do you find the terrain to be? Does your army depend on some woods and hills or are they all the same for you? :)

Arnizipal
15-03-2009, 18:58
Each player gets to set up four pieces of terrain on his table half. Each piece is then scatter 2D6 in a random direction.

No.

3) How many terrain pieces do you use in a regular pitched battle game?Eight.

We still use the 6th edition random terrain table (Realm of Men or Badlands most often). Our gaming group has most terrain features required for the tables except for rivers. You never know for sure what you're gonna get as you're not guaranteed to get hills or woods.

O&G'sRule
15-03-2009, 19:04
Dont really worry about it, as long as the board doesn't look cluttered and units can actually get to the enemy its fine. occasionally depends who I'm playing we do use the centre rule

Orcboy_Phil
15-03-2009, 23:16
Since I normally play instore I just get a staff member to set it up for us. Unfortunatly the entire terrain for warhammer conisits of 4 forests and the hills from the realm of battle board.

Axis
15-03-2009, 23:24
In the campaign i am playing at the moment (a variation of lustria with WoC and lizards) i just let my opponent set up the terrain. This campaign was his idea and he has all the inspiration. He is a nice bloke so he doesn't make it hugely advantageous for him.

Normally we just let one player set up the board, the opponent says yes or no (if no why) then we basically roll off for sides and start. It works because my group are good friends and everyone wants a fair terrain set.

selone
16-03-2009, 01:49

Mutual consent

Yes

4-5

Woods, hills.

theunwantedbeing
16-03-2009, 02:55
1. Mutual consent, usually me saying "put the scenery however the heck you want, I'll move it if it's overly biased".

2. Yes.

3. 3-6 usually, depends what terrain is available at the time. (often you'll find the 40k players are using most of it...)
Depends on the board size we get to use. 4ft x 4ft means less scenery is needed, 6ft x 4ft means we can fit a lot more.

4. Hills, buildings, walls, fences, forests, shrubs.

Lord Dan
16-03-2009, 03:21
One person sets it up, the other chooses table sides. If it's not someone I'm used to playing with, we do all the formal rolling and whatnots.

No.

5-6 if I'm getting ready for a tournament, but more towards 6-7 if it's just a friendly game.

Anything we can get our hands on.:)

Draconian77
16-03-2009, 05:10

A variety of ways but always with mutual consent.

We try not to have something slap bang in the middle of the board or within 6~8" of a board edge.

3-5 normally.

Wood Elves.

Tra~la~la~la~la
"Chorus"
Tra~la~la~la~la

Waaaaghmonger
16-03-2009, 05:48
We randomly generate terrain and take turns placing it. Whenever one player doesnt want to place anymore, the other player may place one more piece. We follow the no terrain in the center rule because, if not, it can make a big advantage for some armies. We then roll off to see who gets to choose sides.

The_Dragon_Rising
16-03-2009, 09:40

Roll a dice each, player with highest roll sets up a piece of terrain first, then the lowest roller, then the highest etc until the terrain is exhausted

Where terrain is placed is totally up to the players

8-10 which fills up slightly less than a quarter of a 6*4 board when placed next to each other.

2 Citadel Corner Hills, 4 lengths of walls, two forests and a LOS blocking rock formation (slightly larger than a steggie for size comparison) and the occasional pond.

As for how important i often find terrain placment, or at least correct use of terrain, to be one of the main factors in winning battles.

DarkTerror
16-03-2009, 17:55
We just set up the terrain in an agreeable way. Then we roll off.

It really is the best way of doing things, GW has a system designed for playing strangers and people with relatively few pieces of terrain.

The best part about just setting it up how it looks good is all of the little pieces of terrain that goes around. The board looks more realistic, has small little patches of trees, fences, etc. which would otherwise never be placed. It's because of the definition of "piece of terrain" that with GW's method of placement you get splotchy looking tables with holes in the middle.

Does that look good? Well, no... And why would you go through all of the effort to paint up your army and make nice looking terrain only to ruin it with GW's method of deployment which results in a table which could look far better?

Be bold and original. Make a table look like it should - your army deserves it and you'll have more fun.

Keller
16-03-2009, 18:13
Typically, one player sets up the table, then the other side is allowed ot make any changes he wants. Table side is decided by dice-winner's selection. All in all, we are fairly informal about it. Just grab some pieces and have at it!

No. Terrain can be placed anywhere. Sometimes a central hill or forest can make for some interesting tactics.

No set number per say, but it depends on our size of table. Games are played anywhere from a 4x4 to a 8-foot-across x 12-foot-long table depending on size and number of players (we like multiplayer games in our group.)

Forests, hills, small buildings mostly. Fields (difficult, flat ground) rivers, and ponds have all been used in the past, but are less common since they are not in our usual terrain stock-pile and have to be specially brought.

lakissov
17-03-2009, 09:00
For all local tournaments, it's pre-set by the organizer. In friendly games, we go for random placement: each piece is placed in a randomly determined 2x2 feet section of the table (of which there are six), and then into one of this section's 1x1 quarters. In the end, all pieces are scattered 2d6 inches.

No. This is a strange rule, which bans ceratain very interesting setups.

5-6, out of which 3-4 are big, and 1-2 are small.

Hills and woods - almost always. Additionally, swamps, impassable cliffs, buildings, special objects.

snurl
17-03-2009, 09:39
We use D6 pieces of terrain,
usually one person sets it up and the other is given choice of which side.
We don't use the no terrain in the center rule.

Here's a fun mini scenario: The Meatgrinder.
A river runs the length of the table down the center of the board. It is Impassible. There is one large bridge (at least regiment base width, about 12-18 inches long) in the center of the table. Both armies want to cross the bridge, from opposite sides. Mayhem ensues.

The Red Scourge
17-03-2009, 09:44
As per the rules from the BRB we take turns.

Choosing where to fight AKA "terrainhammer" is too big a part of the game to leave it to dice :)

Tokamak
17-03-2009, 10:09
At some tournaments the terrain is placed by some dudes and there's no way you can argue with that set up.

Too bad lots of people have this idea in their head that there always needs to be one big annoying piece of terrain right in the middle.

The Red Scourge
17-03-2009, 15:14
Too bad lots of people have this idea in their head that there always needs to be one big annoying piece of terrain right in the middle.

Tried to ignore the 12" middle rule for a few games, and quickly changed our minds. It really isn't good for game balance, when you can set up a solid wall of terrain between your CC troops and your opponents missiles :)

Zilverug
17-03-2009, 16:58

Last time we divided the table in 16 areas and rolled a d6 for each area.
On a 1 or a 2 we put some terrain there. It worked out quite well.

No

That's random.

We roll a random table from the old GRB. Then we roll on that table per terrain piece. Last game, we played in the Khemri desert.

Summary: we love randomness!

Nuada
17-03-2009, 17:35

Usually roll a dice, highest places 1st. Also done, one player sets up, other choses, and a map with the terrain where you write down units deployment.
We've also tried dividing the table into 2ft squares, rolling random terrain then a scatter dice, but i didn't think it was fair for my opponent (a dwarf player) so we decided not to do that

Yes

Depends on the table size; 6x4= 5-6 pieces, 8x4 increase by another 2 etc, but we're fairly lenient

Got a bit of everything, apart from rivers. We put it all in one big pile, players can chose anything