PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Stegadon mounts count as rare?

Necros
15-03-2009, 15:45
So, I got the new army builder files and was building a lizardman list. I added some razordons for my rare choice, then added a priest on an ancient stegadon and it was counting that as a 2nd rare choice. I know if you take it without the priest it will count as one, but I thought you could just add one to the priest and have it not count. So, which is right? does the priest's mount count as rare or not? I looked in the army book real quick and didn't see anything but maybe I missed it...

Coram_Boy
15-03-2009, 15:57
It doesn't count as rare - it's a fault in the armybuilder file.

TheDarkDuke
15-03-2009, 17:21
thats why you buy the actual army book and not use a flawed computer program. ive seen alot of topics over the years asking stuff exactly like this from army builder and to be honest people shouldnt really answer them as its pretty much giving away army rules which is against the rules. but meh im not that much of a jerk.

and no a hero on one is not a rare

UltimateNagash
15-03-2009, 20:45
people shouldnt really answer them as its pretty much giving away army rules which is against the rules.
Actually, it's a genuine question with the army books. It's not specified in the books whether they do or not, and it can be a tad confusing. Well, it can. GW have never been the most reliable with making sure their rules make sense...

Orcboy_Phil
15-03-2009, 21:52
Actually, it's a genuine question with the army books. It's not specified in the books whether they do or not, and it can be a tad confusing. Well, it can. GW have never been the most reliable with making sure their rules make sense...

Not really, by that logic a pegasus mounted paladin would count as hero and a special. If it dosen't state that a mount takes up a different slot then it souldn't be assumed they do.

TheDean04
15-03-2009, 22:16
agreed. I dont think its confusing at all. It does not say it takes up a rare so therefor it does not take up a rare. Think about it like a land raider dedicated transport.

UltimateNagash
15-03-2009, 22:21
Not really, by that logic a pegasus mounted paladin would count as hero and a special. If it dosen't state that a mount takes up a different slot then it souldn't be assumed they do.
See what I said below \/

agreed. I dont think its confusing at all. It does not say it takes up a rare so therefor it does not take up a rare. Think about it like a land raider dedicated transport.
Yes, and that contains a rule saying it doesn't take up a slot. Mounts have no such rule, therefore, although different systems, it's an inconsistency with their style.

Tohellweride
15-03-2009, 22:46
Yes, and that contains a rule saying it doesn't take up a slot. Mounts have no such rule, therefore, although different systems, it's an inconsistency with their style.[/QUOTE]

Guess they just expect fantasy players to be a little smarter than 40k players. ;)

EvC
15-03-2009, 22:56
Yet I've never seen anybody ask if a High Elf Hero on a Great Eagle counts as a rare slot ;)

dannyfave
15-03-2009, 23:04
Yet I've never seen anybody ask if a High Elf Hero on a Great Eagle counts as a rare slot ;)

Good point, but there were questions about a highelf hero on a chariot in this new edition though due to it not saying that it takes a special choice anymore.

TheDean04
15-03-2009, 23:04
Guess they just expect fantasy players to be a little smarter than 40k players. ;)

:p I love fantasy elitism!

Orcboy_Phil
15-03-2009, 23:13
Its not elitist when its the truth :D

UltimateNagash
15-03-2009, 23:31
Its not elitist when its the truth :D
Well, yes, there is that :D

TBH, I take it that because it doesn't say they do, it's an entirely seperate option that just uses the same stats etc. But the rules themselves aren't clear on the matter. That's all...

EvC
15-03-2009, 23:57
Good point, but there were questions about a highelf hero on a chariot in this new edition though due to it not saying that it takes a special choice anymore.

Exactly- people let their memories of old books confuse what the current rulebooks actually say. If something takes up a slot, the book tells you. These questions should never be asked- this is one area GW actually manage to be clear on!

Lord Dan
16-03-2009, 00:16
:p I love fantasy elitism!

I resent that because I'm supposed to!

DarkstarSabre
16-03-2009, 09:15
Yes, and that contains a rule saying it doesn't take up a slot. Mounts have no such rule, therefore, although different systems, it's an inconsistency with their style.

Read any book with a Dragon or Manticore as a mount. They contain rules stating that taking X takes up the hero slot.

There is no such rule with the Stegadon. Or the Carnosaur in fact.

havoc626
16-03-2009, 09:31
These questions should never be asked- this is one area GW actually manage to be clear on!

Yes, their inconsistencies. :p