PDA

View Full Version : My Take on Scouts in my Space Marine Chapter.

Snakebite
11-12-2005, 23:09
With the recent release of plastic Space Marine Scouts, I thought I'd take the opportunity to work them into the army list for my DIY Chapter of Space Marines, namely the Emperor's Disciples.

The Emperor's Disciples follow a good number of the basic tenets found in the Codex Astartes with an important exception being their recruitment process. Whereas in Codex Chapters, new recruits join the Tenth Company as a Scout / Aspirant / Neophyte / Whatever, the Emperor's Disciples do things differently. Their Aspirants are inducted into a Battle Company as a member of a Tactical Squad. It is here that their training is completed and their skills honed, and more importantly it is where any affinity for types of combat are identified and pursued.

Disciples of the Emperor that tend toward heavy and support firepower are gathered into Devastator Squads within their company. Tactical Squads are never armed with heavy weapons (Cleanse and Purify Trait), making their use something of an "Elite" skill. It's the same with Assault weapons. Those with an affinity for closing the distance and attacking man-to-whatever are assigned to Assault Squads, also in the same company to which they were originally inducted.

Finally, we get to the Scouts. In much the same way as the Space Wolves, Disciples of the Emperor that display skills in stealth missions are gathered into Scout Squads assigned to the same company. These Disciples tend to be fiercely loyal to the other members of their squad, something that marks them out as being very good at what they do.

Well, I hope you've enjoyed this little look into the Emperor's Disciples way of doing things. I like coming up with my own reasons for including units in my army, particularly if those reasons are not the same as was originally intended in the Codex. It's fun, and it's personal. Have a go!

Snakebite

ratatosk
12-12-2005, 00:21
Does this mean that your scouts will be formed into both seperate units and added to the tac squads in a similar way to the BTs? or just as seperate units?

Either way i like your take on scouts, and think that its good to come up with as much fluff behind an army as you can and your take on scouts is as good as any.

brother_fandango
12-12-2005, 02:39
nice approach! personally, i use my scouts to represent marines thatve done something wrong, and need to seek redemption outside of power aurmor, yet on the battle feild. so, if they can survive a battle, hey, theyre back in.

Snakebite
12-12-2005, 09:10
@ratatosk:

The Scouts aren't added to Tactical Squads, although I must admit to having considered the Black Templars' rules instead of regular Space Marines. The main problem with that being my almost completed Devastator squad. As far as I'm aware, Black Templars don't have them, do they?

@brother_fandango:

Your idea sounds very cool! I like the idea of them being "stripped" of their honour (armour) and having to really prove themselves to get it back.

After having re-read my original post, I've realised that I should probably allow for different structure to their battle companies to better reflect their organisation. I'm going to have a good think about this at work today (what's that? Well, what should I be doing?! Heheh) and post a mini-Codex thread or something.

Thanks for your comments, guys. However your Scouts are used, may they bring you victory!

brother_fandango
12-12-2005, 20:56
sweet! i got complimented!!

i just love staring at my scouts saying "brother lamentus, youve wronged me. gain my respect... or die!!!!!"

FireN.Brimstone
12-12-2005, 21:14
One niggley little thing though, despite what space wolves may tell you, space marines can't use their armor very well until they're already passed out of the whole scout state of existence. This is due to not having the Black Carapace which is the last implant to be installed in a space marine. I suppose you could say that they stay at home and train much longer than most chapters, and thus by the time their trained their already implanted with the Black Carapace, and thus fully a space marine (at least physically).

The existence of the space wolves though sort of throws the book out the window on this one though, so you can do what you want, just know for 99.9% of the chapters, you can't be a scout, and wear power armor.

redwulfen
12-12-2005, 21:22
nice thoughts.
off the tangent a bit but does anyone think that the new plastic scouts look shockingly bad. personally i had the heads. for me its the hairy head sprue for space wolves and imperial guard heads for other marine chapters. seriously GW what were you thinking

boogle
12-12-2005, 21:23
but Space Wolf Scouts don't wear power armour, they have reverted from using Power Armour whan they get tp the stage of: 1 path - Wolf Guard, 1 Path - Scout, 1 Path - Long Fang, those that are seen as outsiders ususally become scouts and then don the Scout Armour

It would seem that Space Wolf Aspirants spend a lot longer training at home than other chapters, so they have all of their impants inserted before becoming a Blood Claw

Hlokk
12-12-2005, 22:26
It's fun, and it's personal. Have a go!
Fair play

Scouts in the Garou Chapter

Once a scout has been accepted as a scout, he is assigned to a scout squad, which comprises part of a scout "Demi-company", a detachment of scouts mirroring a normal army, usually numbering about 30-40 members, overseen by the command staff of the Garou 2nd company.

Typically, a Garou scout demi company will resemble:

2x Close assault teams
1x short range firepower teams
2x fire support teams
1x sniper support team
1x scout bike squad
1x command from the 2nd company

These Demi companies will then be assigned to a battle company on a 1-2 year tour of duty, before being rotated to another battle company for another tour of duty. After a 2 or more demi-companies have completed several tours of duty, the companies are amalgamated and sent on a final "Proving" mission, which is usually either an all out assault on an enemy position or engaging a force several times larger than the demi-company. If this is not possible, the first company of the chapter is not above rounding up a couple of thousand civilians from the surrounding hives and dumping them in hostile terretory, such as a continent infested with plague zombies or so forth. In this case, how well the scout comapny performs is based on how many civilians are left alive before the mission ends. It is considered a good result to have a 5% civilian survival rate in these dangerous missions.

There are three fates that can come across a scout in a proving mission:

Death/Injury: If the scout falls in duty but is still alive, he is re-couperated and inducted into the Space marine's home planet's PDF force as a special forces trooper. This way, the chapter does not loose a valuable trooper who has many years of training needlessly.

Retreat: those who run away are shot by the Chaplains of the chapter, or else hunted down by the survivors of the mission

Victory/survival: When the mission is won, the survivors are exhalted and initiated into one of the battle companies. Those in the close assault squads are rewarded with chainsword and bolt pistol (My chapter's doctrines include take the fight to them), those who excel in close fire support become special weapon troopers, those who provide generic fire support become tactical marines, those who carry heavy bolters or operate sniper rifles become heavy weapons troopers, with an eye to developing them into devistator marines.

Snakebite
12-12-2005, 22:52
sweet! i got complimented!!

i just love staring at my scouts saying "brother lamentus, youve wronged me. gain my respect... or die!!!!!"

That's fantastic - I love it!

I give my army a "pep talk" (or, more appropriately perhaps, a pep sermon) before the battle. Emperor's Disciples armies are lead by the Chapter's Chaplains as for me at least, they personify the Emperor's Cult and therefore the Emperor himself. I fondly imagine myself in the guise of Reclusiarch Honorious, current commander of the 4th Battle Company, urging his Marines on to feats of exceptional bravery and service to the Emperor. I can't say it has ever won me a game, but you can't blame a man for trying!

One niggley little thing though, despite what space wolves may tell you, space marines can't use their armor very well until they're already passed out of the whole scout state of existence. This is due to not having the Black Carapace which is the last implant to be installed in a space marine. I suppose you could say that they stay at home and train much longer than most chapters, and thus by the time their trained their already implanted with the Black Carapace, and thus fully a space marine (at least physically).

The existence of the space wolves though sort of throws the book out the window on this one though, so you can do what you want, just know for 99.9% of the chapters, you can't be a scout, and wear power armor.

The Emperor's Disciples induct their warriors over a longer process than 99.9% of the other Chapters and when they are ready to join the ranks of the Chapter, they are fully "implanted". It is not uncommon for members of any kind of squad to transfer to a Scout squad, although the reverse is very rare. Assignation to a Scout squad is almost turning his back on his former brethren in the sense that Scout squads are often deployed as Kill Teams far behind enemy lines or even distant star systems, unlikely to ever be seen again. There is no dishonour or shame in this path, as they are still "carrying the Emperor's light to the dark corners of the Universe", they just do it under very different circumstances. Due to the way most Emperor's Disciples Battle Companies are deployed, if they are assigned a Scout squad, it will usually be only five strong and armed for stealth missions.

Just because Battle Company Marines "give up" their power armour, any Honours they have received are not lost. Therefore, it is not uncommon to find members of Scout squads with Terminator Honours decorations and other such honours.

Wow, Hlokk, seems you've given your fluff a LOT of thought! It's exactly the kind of depth I'm looking for in my army. Kudos to you, my friend!

brother_fandango
12-12-2005, 23:28
i think i tak warhammer a little too far. if a unit of either Guard or SM Scouts does badly in battle, they go in a dark red world of foam (bottom of my case) and if i feel genorous, i let em see action in a few months. then, if theyre still bad, well.... every base needs its casualties...... hehehe. i love playing mastermind to my army. id be a really bad chapter master, just... i dont like your performance... dead.

Snakebite
12-12-2005, 23:32
It's such a feeling of power, isn't it! It's great!

brother_fandango
13-12-2005, 00:46
i think im mean to my scouts. i see em as my whipping block. i mean, i have no 5 point termaginus models to just say... o man, 20 models just got wasted. there goes 1/200 of my army. its a little fun just to see how much fire power and fighting those pre marines can take. i think is sadistic... but i like it!!

Snakebite
13-12-2005, 19:59
For 3rd Ed. I ran a Dark Angels army with a 5 man Scout squad. In their first game, they held up an entire flank on their own against pre-update Bloodletters. I gave the Sergeant a name and wrote the encounter into the unit's fluff. In their second game, against Eldar, they ran a gauntlet of Shuriken fire and took out a Sabotage objective. I was so impressed, I decided that he had earned the right to be inducted in to the Deathwing and so made him a Veteran Sergeant.

His next mission was against Chaos again. My regular opponent was tired of getting his armies beaten by my now not-so-lowly Scout squad that he made it a target for his Lord and Retinue. Despite not killing the Chaos Lord, the Scout unit held him up for four turns, thus allowing the rest of my army pretty much free reign across the table. I decided he had earned the use of a Power Sword, mostly because he had landed a number of hits on the Lord but was always thwarted by the Lord's Armour saves.

By now, the unit was becoming a feared part of my army, more for its luck than anything else. Mission number four, against Tyranids this time, was also a success. He survived this battle without killing much at all (my opponent was cunning enough and fast enough to keep most of his units out of the way of my Scouts!) but there were a couple of things that stood out about the battle for me. The Scouts were called on for Morale Tests several times and each time I passed roll on impossibly low scores - a 2, two 3s and a 4 if I remember correctly. With nerve like that, Stubborn was the next logical step...

I retired the unit after a few more games, more out of a desire to repeat the process than anything else. The last game he fought was against a re-tooled Eldar army. Combat against a Wraithlord caused his eventual demise, but what a story.

ratatosk
13-12-2005, 23:53
it is good fun to remember the back story for certain characters, after all Capt Tycho himself became a special character after a battle report with a BA captain of that name whose actions became the basis for the special characters history.

Snakebite
15-12-2005, 23:10
That's the exact idea I had.

Only this time, my whole army is being developed. I have a core 1000pts that I'm taking to Winter War 2006 in January which is mostly Troops choices. After they fight in a few battles, they'll have a (hopefully) wide range of adversaries to draw some history from. Essentially, the way that I end up fighting with them will define them and their history.

Hlokk
15-12-2005, 23:20
That's the exact idea I had.

Only this time, my whole army is being developed. I have a core 1000pts that I'm taking to Winter War 2006 in January which is mostly Troops choices. After they fight in a few battles, they'll have a (hopefully) wide range of adversaries to draw some history from. Essentially, the way that I end up fighting with them will define them and their history.

And its kind of the idea I had.

My chapter doesnt exist any more. It existed between the 33rd and 38th Millennium, so every battle I fight, I will use to develop background and storylines for the chapter.

As for my scouts. Im currently running a seperate 1000pt scout list to represent the demi company I posted earlier. Nothing but scouts, a veteran squad and a commander/squad, all with infiltrate :evilgrin: