PDA

View Full Version : Is this a grey knight titan in this artwork?

StarFyreXXX
15-03-2009, 20:59
Also does anyone know what this art is from? It's for the Battle of Armageddon (the first one...and coolest IMHO)...

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/6/6b/Armageddon_by_StTheo.jpg/432px-Armageddon_by_StTheo.jpg

it seems to have the head like the FW GK dreadnought and the style of heads the metal models have (best looking space marines IMHO)

Regards,

Sanjay

Noserenda
15-03-2009, 21:08
Looks like a Warlord titan to me, a different head is nothing unusual...

Nexus Trimean
15-03-2009, 23:38
Dont know about the TItan, but it was done as a commision by a guy on DeviantArt, (cant remember who.) but there was a whole nother thread on it.

EDIT: Orginal thread here http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183816

The authors blurb about the piece
"heya guys final piece for the grey knights GW project been working. was asked to do a realy big piece ie compositionaly for a banner/ poster for games day. the brief was to depict the first war of armageddon when the final assault on the inner hive to find and destroy the deamon primrich aragorn and his 12 greater deamons. 200 hundred grey knights space marines went in but only 2 came out. anyway enough with the talk. thanks for looking theo"

Link to the orginal http://StTheo.deviantart.com/art/In-...ight-107752196

Bunnahabhain
15-03-2009, 23:57
No.

Imperial titans are controlled, owned, operated etc by the Ad. Mech only. This is consistent in all the background. They can get ordered to do stuff by sufficiently high ranking Imperial staff, like Inquistitors, generals and chapter masters.

There is no such thing as a Marine Titan. Such a thing contradicts all background

There is no such thing as an Inquisition titan. Such a thing contradicts all background

Therefore, there is no such thing as a Marine/Inquisition ( as that is what the grey knights are) titan, unless GW do a ret-con the size of our current national debt...

Lord Cook
16-03-2009, 00:12
Pretty much what Bunnahabhain said. Only the Mechanicus operates titans. Besides, there's nothing in that picture to indicate that the machine has any relation to the Grey Knights at all. It just happens to be standing behind them posing for the picture.

Hicks
16-03-2009, 00:46
Well the guy in the middle is so big, I guess he could count as a GK titan. :angel:

jeffersonian000
16-03-2009, 03:41
Not quite. There is the Lego Ordo Sinister, which is composed solely of 12 Emperor-class Titans. Their mandate is the enforcement of the Pax Imperium, which means these are the guy the empire calls on for Exterminatus of a world. They were first mentioned in the Titan Legion box set, when the Emperor class was first introduced. The Lego Ordo Sinister is like the Grey Knights in that they are a militant arm of the Inquisition. Some might say that they are more like the Sisters of Battle in that they can be called upon by the Inquisition, however, they are what they are and they do only one thing, and that is killing worlds in the Emperor's name.

SJ

weissengel86
16-03-2009, 03:50
They may be created by the Ad Mech or controlled by them but that doesnt mean they wouldnt create a Titan for the GK. Its what we call a joint venture. I saw an actual GK titan datasheet (fan made) which was pretty neat. I found the link on Bell of lost souls commentary for that picture.

AndrewGPaul
16-03-2009, 08:32
Not quite. There is the Lego Ordo Sinister, which is composed solely of 12 Emperor-class Titans.

In any case, the one in the pic isn't one of theirs; it's a Warlord. :)

There used to be mention of psi-titans, so it could be one of those.

It looks a little odd to me; there's something on the 'hood' armour - not sure if it's a gargoyle or it's being attacked by a daemon. Alos, there looks to be something hanging from the turbolaser barrel on its left shoulder - not sure if it's just a devotional banner or something else.

jeffersonian000
16-03-2009, 09:11
It’s definitely a Warlord in the picture, based on the weapon layout. The winged figure on the head of the titans looks like a figurehead of a ship in the form of Sanguinius kneeling, perhaps it’s the Titan's symbol. The "banner" is a transparent sheet of something cloth-like suspended from a prow. The Titan is very nautically themed. Even the mega-blow torch mounted to its right arm looks like a smoke stack from an old steamer. Could be a psi-titan, those did exist in Epic 40k and were modified Warlords.

SJ

jeffersonian000
16-03-2009, 09:12
double post

CarnusCaedes
16-03-2009, 10:05
@ Bunnahabhain

Geez, I think I remember the Adeptus Titanicus being a separate formation with charters to protect both Imperium and AdMech mandates with a strong connection to the latter and an over-riding duty to the former. You could say they're caught between two worlds.

Another Organisation with a 'Psy Titan', the Divisio Telepathica, one of the 4 divisions of the Collegia Titanica, which is one of the branches of the Adeptus Mechanicus. Anathema to the Daemons of the warp. Armed with 2 Warp Cannons in place of its arm and a Sensorium dome on its carapace hard points for the Adeptus Astra Telepathica choir. Available as a limited release for epic.

I second jeffersonian000's statement regarding Legio Sinister, having owned a copy myself for some time now.

Lord Damocles
16-03-2009, 11:12
Just a standard titan legion Warlord. Simple as that.

EDIT: Are they even Grey Knights? I know they're *supposed* to be Knights, but just from the picture, you wouldn't know it - I can't spot a single chapter symbol, and the array of non-GK weapons and wargear (jump packs etc.) makes them look far more like generic deamon hunting marine type folks than actual Knights...

Inquisitor S.
16-03-2009, 12:02
Not quite. There is the Lego Ordo Sinister, which is composed solely of 12 Emperor-class Titans. Their mandate is the enforcement of the Pax Imperium, which means these are the guy the empire calls on for Exterminatus of a world. They were first mentioned in the Titan Legion box set, when the Emperor class was first introduced. The Lego Ordo Sinister is like the Grey Knights in that they are a militant arm of the Inquisition. Some might say that they are more like the Sisters of Battle in that they can be called upon by the Inquisition, however, they are what they are and they do only one thing, and that is killing worlds in the Emperor's name.

The only information of this paragraph I recognize from the old sources is the name, the employment of Imperator titans and that they enforce the Pax Imperialis. The stuff with Exterminatus, being the militant arm of the Inquisition etc. should be backed up by a source...

pookie
16-03-2009, 12:20
Dont know about the TItan, but it was done as a commision by a guy on DeviantArt, (cant remember who.) but there was a whole nother thread on it.

EDIT: Orginal thread here http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183816

The authors blurb about the piece
"heya guys final piece for the grey knights GW project been working. was asked to do a realy big piece ie compositionaly for a banner/ poster for games day. the brief was to depict the first war of armageddon when the final assault on the inner hive to find and destroy the deamon primrich aragorn and his 12 greater deamons. 200 hundred grey knights space marines went in but only 2 came out. anyway enough with the talk. thanks for looking theo"

Link to the orginal http://StTheo.deviantart.com/art/In-...ight-107752196

so the Painter knows a load about 40K . . . ( check the name in bold )

deff not a GK Titan, poss best i coudl say is that it has a variant head, Corrvus type? my memory is quite Hazzy about Titans and the extras you could get for them )

Brucopeloso
16-03-2009, 13:58
Also does anyone know what this art is from? It's for the Battle of Armageddon (the first one...and coolest IMHO)...

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/6/6b/Armageddon_by_StTheo.jpg/432px-Armageddon_by_StTheo.jpg

it seems to have the head like the FW GK dreadnought and the style of heads the metal models have (best looking space marines IMHO)

Regards,

Sanjay

Interesting post, could this be a clue to the new Ordo Malleus (or even complete inquisition) codex being worked on?

Bookwrak
16-03-2009, 14:06
Bell of Lost Souls (http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2009/03/40k-rumors-daemonhunters-on-move.html) has a little blurb about it. It could very well be some type of psy-titan, as that would be apropos for inclusion at that stage of the first Battle for Armageddon, IIRC.

Lord Damocles
16-03-2009, 14:18
Not that this stage of the battle ever seems to have existed before now...

As far as I can find, the final assault against Angron and his bodyguard took place on the plains before hives Infernus and Helsreach, and consisted of only a single company of Grey Knights (ie. 100) teleporting directly into his presence (White Dwarf 248, pg.48 - 'The Armageddon Steel Legions: The Chaos Wars'.

captain ceaser
16-03-2009, 14:37
"Therefore, there is no such thing as a Marine/Inquisition ( as that is what the grey knights are) titan, unless GW do a ret-con the size of our current national debt..."

Lmao. Quite correct and Sigged!

Laser guided fanatic
16-03-2009, 16:56
It's a GK metal gear rex.

Leftenant Gashrog
16-03-2009, 19:03
Another Organisation with a titan Adeptsu Astra Telepathica Psy Titans.

According to Adeptus Titanicus the Psi-Titan Legions belong to the Divisio Telepathica, one of the 4 divisions of the Collegia Titanica, which is one of the branches of the Adeptus Mechanicus (Adeptus Titanicus is a contraction of Adeptus Mechanicus Collegia Titanicus - rather than its actual name). The Adeptus Astra Telepathica is a totally seperate non-military branch of the Imperial Government.