PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Land Speeder to RT variant and TLOS issues?

Sir_Turalyon
15-03-2009, 23:50
I'd like to ask you how would you react to seeing on the table a conversion I'm planning.

I always liked the looks of original Land Speeder (the "flying couch" pattern which can be seen here http://www.solegends.com/citcat911/c2023smlandspeeders-h.htm ). I've never had a chance to buy actual model (I stick to polish auction sites and they never appear there - they seem rarer then classic Land Rider in Poland), so for years I've been toying with idea of converting one from modern plastic kit by removing frontal armour and storage comparament between drivers and engines. As lack of prow armour will give a good look of the passagers, and as I personaly believe that RT=Pre Heresy, I soon decided to model it as Master of Ravenwing. It's sound from modelling and fluff point of view - Master riding oldest, most venerable speeder pattern, with force field rather then armoured bow for protection, open couch instead of cocpit making the character visible and allowing me to pose him more dramaticaly. New Ultramarines codex further supported the fluff part, describing original speeders being armoured, with plates around cocpit controls added over millenia. However...

Without armour and trunk the speeder will be much shorter, probably no longer then it's wide. With 5th edition true line of sight rules I understand people may have issues with flying Land Rider not much larger then Attack Bike. I plan to do it for modelling / showcase reasons, but would hate to put work into it only to never use it in game. I don't want to exploit it's shorter size, and agree that opponent arguing that proper LS model would be in sight / assault range even when mine isn't probably is right, but I still have doubts how would randomly chosen opponents react to that. So I'd like to know your oppinion before doing it.

tangomegadeath
16-03-2009, 00:08
Just go for it - if done well I can't see any sporting opponent having a problem as long as it's a one off.

Anyone who does is probably not worth playing anyway.

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
16-03-2009, 01:02
sure. czemu by nie. i'll gladly play against one.

nedsta
16-03-2009, 02:34
Do it mate,if someone isn't willing to play because your using a classic (and still valid IMO) model then it's their loss

boogle
16-03-2009, 03:17
Absolutely go for it, it would look really cool IMHO, please put up a log of it on the Painting and Terrain forum as well

Mega Nutz
16-03-2009, 09:27
Yeah, go for it and post pics in the WIP section!

Mojaco
16-03-2009, 10:01
I don't see a problem. Usually people put the model nose-front anyway, making it the same size for LOS as your proposed model. How long it is seldomly becomes an issue.

You can always make it sit an inch higher to make it harder to hide or something, but that shouldn't be necesary.

Eryx_UK
16-03-2009, 12:52
I wouldn't have a problem. Go for it.

Brother Loki
16-03-2009, 15:23
Definitely go for it. A modern reworking of the original design will look great. It doesn't necessarily have to be smaller than the original, either. Look at Sammael's jetbike in comparison to the RT era ones. Although its clearly based off the same design (but more ornate, with the BFG style prow), its a lot bigger.

I'd love to see a conversion like this, and if you do it, please post a tutorial. ;)