PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me..

Spirit
16-03-2009, 02:35
Or are some of the writers at GW complete tools?

I was looking at the website today and saw some lizardmen tacitics.

From the GW Lizardmen tactics page.

Tactic One: Puppet Master
With the Channelling special rule, the Slann Mage Priest can cast his spells through the Skink Priests as long as they are within 24" of him. This can have the advantage of enabling the Slann to use short-ranged spells from elsewhere on the table, unleashing powers without exposing himself to danger.

Channelling is especially valuable with powers like Drain Life (in the Lore of Death) and Cleansing Flare, which both affect all enemies within a set distance. Use the Skink Chief on the Ancient Stegadon to get close (and preferably ram into) the enemy and then unleash the Engine of the Gods power, followed by Cleansing Flare for maximum power.

The Slann's rule specifically states that only magic missiles may be channeled. No wonder there is so much argument around the rules.

Edit:

Tactic 2: Charge Interference
There are a few units in this army can run charge interference for the rest of the force. The Terradons, for example, can get in the way of enemy units and flee an impressive 3D6" away. The Terradons then rally automatically in their own turn, because of their Hit And Run special rule.

Except that terradons don't have hit and run any more, they have feigned flight. So they no longer auto rally but can act normally if they rally.

Lord Malorne
16-03-2009, 02:44
Likely those have not been updated since the site update.

Though I agree that they are tools ;).

Spirit
16-03-2009, 02:51
Considering they are placed next to pictures of the new lizards, tactics involving kroxigor in units of skinks, ancient stegadons ect and army lists from the new book, i'm fairly sure this isnt the case lol.

Lord Malorne
16-03-2009, 02:53
Why not? Copy and Paste is the lazy mans secret lover.

Spirit
16-03-2009, 02:57
Lol, well i cant aregue with that!

Alathir
16-03-2009, 08:28
I'm quite sure that people who have the Feigned Flight rule automatically rally if they flee as a charge reaction.

And no, I don't really think they are tools.

Gazak Blacktoof
16-03-2009, 10:20
I'm quite sure that people who have the Feigned Flight rule automatically rally if they flee as a charge reaction.

I'm quite sure you're wrong, have a look at the BRB, p.70.

EDIT: I wouldn't be so rude to call them tools, but when posting an article like that it would be nice if they checked that their suggestions actually work. Even if they wrote the tacticas early so that they were ready to go "live" once the lizardmen book hit the shelves, they'd still have several months between the finished documents being sent to the printers and the books being commercially available. That's certainly sufficient time to do a bit of fact checking.

Leth Shyish'phak
16-03-2009, 12:13
Wait? Stupid mistakes on the GW website? :confused: :wtf: :eek:

Its, like never happened before!

The world is over!

EvC
16-03-2009, 12:18
Yep, they're the last people you can trust when it comes to the rules!

sigur
16-03-2009, 15:44
So when was it that you last read a tactics article by GW which actually seemed sensible beyond a level of "shoot stuff with units that are good at shooting"?

Bloodhunter
16-03-2009, 15:53
It appears that they are the worst people to hear tactical advises from.
Surely they have great generals but they don't write tactics articles who know why.

If you search tactics, read the forums. I think it's the better source.

Wolf 11x
16-03-2009, 16:16
I'm not sure about Fantasy and I'm recently getting back into it, but their website / magazines have the worst 40k lists I've ever seen. We're talking about a game that is typically won or lost based on list design!

Desert Rain
16-03-2009, 16:20
The tacticas on there website arn't much good unless your just starting out with the game. Despite that it would be nice if they knew the rules a bit better.

W0lf
16-03-2009, 17:46
Two words...

matt ward...

Makaber
16-03-2009, 17:49
Then again, it's quite possible that article was written some time ago, under a different set of playtest rules. Who knows, maybe that exact tactic is what made them include the Magic Missile restriction in the first place.