PDA

View Full Version : Missing tank class?

kurac
16-03-2009, 17:18
Before this turns in a bloodbath, this is just my opinion, i'm hoping for an informative and healthy discussion.

I'm generalising the overall classes of the vehicles so don't kill me for writing this...my, have i got prudent.

In between the standard Leman Russ/Demolisher/Falcon and Baneblade/Cobra/ there's a gap of tank design in my view, something like the Land raider but with a bit more punch and no stucture points for easy use on the game table.

I've had my fun with Vehicle design rules but as i know they are not in use anymore...

...thoughts?

Marshal Sinclair
16-03-2009, 18:04
Leman Russ, Fire Prisms and especially Land Raiders are about as heavy as you can get without going to structure points. The Malchador is slightly larger than a Leman Russ, and has 2 structure points.

Kurisu313
16-03-2009, 18:14
Between the russ and the baneblade are the malcador, macharius and valdor, but they have 2 structure points each.

Knight titans are small superheavies, with one or two structure point (depending on the homebrew rules of course), but could be done without structure points.

It sounds like what you want is a land raider with guns instead of transport? I'm not sure I like the sound of that from a gameplay perspective, but it's possible I guess.

Marshal Sinclair
16-03-2009, 18:20
It's called the Land Raider Terminatus or something, isn't it? :p

SimonL
16-03-2009, 18:37
Terminus Ultra...it has 3 twinlinked Lascannons and 2 single lascannons. The Ares-pattern Land Raider has a single Demolisher cannon if you want some heavy support.

I second the vote for the Malcador, Macharius and Valdor as the intermediate classes. Loyalist Space Marines don't really utilize super-heavy vehicles as they aren't really rapid strike vehicles

Ranger S2H
16-03-2009, 18:45
I think a heavy walker could be nice, something between a russ a pred and a hammerhead on 2 or 4 mechanical legs.

had an idea for a basiliskish 2 barrel quadruped artillery walker too, basically two cannons on a platform on legs.

Bunnahabhain
16-03-2009, 18:48
It's called a land raider.
Just about the best armour you can get without structure points.
Multiple heavy weapons, and able to split fire to a certain degree.

A Leman Russ is also approaching it from another direction. We're not quite sure what it will be able to do, but Lumbering Behemoth certainly allows us to fire Ordnance and all other weapons, possibly whilst moving.
No suggestion of split targeting, but it's not impossible, and that really would turn a russ into a proper HEAVY tank.

SimonL
16-03-2009, 18:50
I think a heavy walker could be nice, something between a russ a pred and a hammerhead on 2 or 4 mechanical legs.

had an idea for a basiliskish 2 barrel quadruped artillery walker too, basically two cannons on a platform on legs.

That's what the Knights are, the Warden class was the support/artillery variant.

Kurisu313
16-03-2009, 19:14

Do you know that forge world make a two barrelled-earthshaker cannon superheavy? I think it's called the minotaur. Don't think they've published rules for it yet, though, and it's not a walker

A knight warden is a mini titan (about 6" high in 40k scale) with a reaver style missile launcher on it's back. That might be up your alley

Laser guided fanatic
16-03-2009, 19:19
GW Make some plastic knights now or i'll get Alan Sugar to fire you.

SimonL
16-03-2009, 19:19
A knight warden is a mini titan (about 6" high in 40k scale) with a reaver style missile launcher on it's back. That might be up your alle

One Warden has a battlecannon-esque weapon.

boogle
16-03-2009, 22:47
hmm for me the Knight Baron would be a dream come true

Kurisu313
16-03-2009, 23:31
hmm for me the Knight Baron would be a dream come true

I've made one! :D

It's fairly cr....poorly made, but it's fun to use.

Edonil
17-03-2009, 02:28
Anyone have rules for knight class?

kurac
17-03-2009, 10:22
Ares-pattern Land Raider!!!

This is what i'm talking about, Thank you guys!

I never knew about this, keep'em coming!

a squig
17-03-2009, 11:32
[QUOTE=Ranger S2H;3379398]I think a heavy walker could be nice, something between a russ a pred and a hammerhead on 2 or 4 mechanical legs.[QUOTE]

http://www.coolminiornot.com/index/whatc/SF/id/210732

a bit like this kool design , i can see what the OP means but aim not sure how you would fit it inot the game.

Cool_Mint
17-03-2009, 13:45
Perhaps the RT Grav Attack Tank - aka the Deodorant Flyer?
http://www.solegends.com/citrt/rtgravattack.htm

RichBlake
17-03-2009, 17:20
Land Raider + Demolisher Cannon + bunch of lascannons + the ability to use PotMS twice.

That's as tough and as powerful as you could get without breaking some sort of law of reality or giving it super heavy rules :p

pookie
17-03-2009, 17:48

yeah of course there are them, they are AT-ST and the AT-AT.... oh wait :D

Kyrios
17-03-2009, 18:03
Anyone have rules for knight class?

Bell of Lost Souls

Check out their "Lords of Battle" Apoc compilation. About as offical you can get whithout GW/FW support.

Codsticker
17-03-2009, 20:38
I actually thought that there was a missing link in the IG tank arsenal but it was between the Russ and the Chimera; the helhound being the closest thing to a light tank. However, oh happy day, that should all change the first week of may. :)