PDA

View Full Version : Got my hands on a piece of history.

Justicar_Freezer
16-03-2009, 18:39
Hey all. This weekend was Cold Wars here in PA and I have to say it was great fun. Have to love the flea market down there. Speaking of the flea market I managed to make a great find down there.

I got my hands on the second edition Nid codex. I've looked through it and I must say it's awsome....carnifex's were terrifying back them just as I remembered.

Right now I'm trying to collect all of the 2nd edition codexs because I truely feel second edition was the best edition. But I am curious what all codexs there were.

I have the following
Second Edition Rules
Second Edition Wargear book
Second Edition Codex Imperialis
Dark Millennium
All the psychic cards
All the Vehicle datafaxs
UltraMarines.
Space Wolves
Angels of Death
Imperial Guard
Chaos Space Marines
Eldar
Tyranids

What I don't have
Codex Orks
Codex Sisters of Battle
Some of the templates
Most of the wargear cards that do not come in the codexs.

My question is, what else am I missing? Because a friend of mine and myself who are currently not happy with 40k want to give 2nd a go to see if it rekindles our interest and stops us from selling most of our stuff.

Also anyone who wants to post happy memories of their 2nd edition days feel free :)

Lord Damocles
16-03-2009, 18:44
There was a second edition Codex: Assassins, according to Lexicanium.

pookie
16-03-2009, 18:48
There was a second edition Codex: Assassins.

hmmm not sure about that..... wasnt it 3rd that they relased that one?

you have enough tho if you have the rules/wargear book and dark mellenium to play.

AndrewGPaul
16-03-2009, 18:56
Nope, Codex: Assassins was first published under 2nd edition - I've got one.

Looks like you've listed all the published books (although it was Codex: Space Marines, not Codex: Ultramarines :) ).

In addition, there were a couple of supplemental books - the Piscina IV campaign pack, for instance, included rules for Scout Sergeant Namaan of the Dark Angels, and Warboss Wazdakka of the Bad Moons, and there was a book titled something like Warhammer 40,000 Battles - had a Blood Angel on the cover, IIRC - which was reprints from White Dwarf.

Lord Damocles
16-03-2009, 19:04
Nope, Codex: Assassins was first published under 2nd edition - I've got one.
I was just about to conceed that I was mistaken and blame it all on lexicanium... now I'm really confused :p What was on the cover of the 2nd ed. codex then?

Looks like you've listed all the published books (although it was Codex: Space Marines, not Codex: Ultramarines :) ).
There was a Codex: Ultramarines.
I've got a copy right here on my laptop ;)

EDIT: Ultrasmurfs - http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Codex:_Ultramarines_(2nd_Edition)

MrMojoZ
16-03-2009, 19:13
I don't recall there being a generic Space Marine codex, you used the Ultramarine book for your DIY chapters.

zeep
16-03-2009, 19:27
The second edition codex: assassins was released almost simultaneously with the 3rd edition. At the time we thought it was a joke given the timing and the thinness of the codex.

TimLeeson
16-03-2009, 19:35
I dont remember a sisters of battle codex except for the one that was in that white-dwarf, did they ever make a proper book for them in 2nd ed ?

devolutionary
16-03-2009, 19:39
Yes, Sister's of Battle were released as a full codex about 6-7 months before Third Ed was announced. The current model line is from then, as can be seen by their Bolter style.

Codex: Ultramarines was indeed the generic Marine codex (and a bloody beauty at that).

The only document I can think of that you haven't listed is the black and white army lists found in the 40k box along with Imperialis, Wargear, and Rulebook. That's the book that will let you do weird armies not covered by Codices.

Lord Damocles
16-03-2009, 19:40
Codex Sisters of Battle (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Codex:_Sisters_of_Battle_(2nd_Edition))

EDIT: Argh, ninja attack.

gigglyjoker
16-03-2009, 19:50
I happen to have a 2nd edition Assassin's codex. How much will you buy it for?

perplexiti
16-03-2009, 19:51
There was also a battles book as well, it had battle reports from WD in it. I think it also had some card bunkers in the back to cut out and make up.

2nd Ed was very cool, lots of house keeping every turn though. And there's the template phase where you roll for all the templates that are in play, they shrink or grow or move, it can take a while to do. I liked the extra level of detail 2nd Ed had though, but be prepared for games to last alot longer than current ones.

Bloodknight
16-03-2009, 19:54
I was just about to conceed that I was mistaken and blame it all on lexicanium... now I'm really confused What was on the cover of the 2nd ed. codex then?

The same as the 3rd edition cover, just with a differently styled caption symbol. The assassin codex was the last one released for 2nd edition, IIRC. It's a fun read, though, with lots of fluff although it's only like 16 pages strong. And the statlines are hilarious...assassins compared to SM captains took a serious nerf from 2nd to 3rd.

(they used to be better in most combat relevant stats than an SM mighty hero in 2nd and got the stats of a minor SM captain in 3rd..).

Lord Damocles
16-03-2009, 19:56
The same as the 3rd edition cover
Aha!
That's where i've been going wrong then.

Thanks for clearing that up for me :)

Doppleskanger
16-03-2009, 20:41
Oh an assasin wasn't better than a Space Marine Captain in 2nd Ed. It was better than a Space marine Army!

precinctomega
16-03-2009, 21:30
I have Codex: Sisters of Battle.

I don't have anything to contribute to the thread. I just thought I'd show off. :P

R.

boogle
16-03-2009, 21:35
Codex Assassins in 3rd was given away free with WD too!!

as for the Battles book it had the following Battles in it
Ultramarines vs Orks
Space Wolves vs Ulthwe Eldar (one of the best battle reports ever)
Blood Angels vs Orks (this was the genesis of Captain Tycho)
Eldar vs Orks
Also had the datafax for the Razorback, Leman Russ and rules for Bunkers (as well as a template) and Arbites

Shame they never did another compilation book like this with the SM vs IG tank battle, the IG/UM vs Orks and the Nids vs IG/Eldar as they truly rocked

MrMojoZ
16-03-2009, 22:34
I have Codex: Sisters of Battle.

I don't have anything to contribute to the thread. I just thought I'd show off. :P

R.

I have the 1st edition Space Wolf list that was printed in White Dwarf. So :p.

boogle
16-03-2009, 22:36

is that WD 151 or 152?

MrMojoZ
16-03-2009, 22:38
156-158 according to the Lexicanum. Not sure if that US or UK numbers though which I think are diffrent.

boogle
16-03-2009, 22:40
Did the US even have a different WD back then?

Ragnar was hard as nails in 1st Ed with his retractable foot claw attacks amongst other nastiness

Bloodknight
16-03-2009, 22:42
Oh an assasin wasn't better than a Space Marine Captain in 2nd Ed. It was better than a Space marine Army!

Everything but Orks was better than a Space Marine army (but only the Eversor as a single model could kill them by the squad in one turn, stupid luck with 4+ "fight again" rolls assumed). I can hardly remember actually seeing power armoured SM on the board, they were hideously overpriced.

Griefbringer
16-03-2009, 22:44
The RT era Space wolf list was in WD 157, with the background in 156. Special characters were in 156 and 158.

boogle
16-03-2009, 22:45
Everything but Orks was better than a Space Marine army (but only the Eversor as a single model could kill them by the squad in one turn, stupid luck with 4+ "fight again" rolls assumed). I can hardly remember actually seeing power armoured SM on the board, they were hideously overpriced.

They were usually in assault squads armed with Hand Flamers.

The Eversor was by farthe nastiest Assassin way back when, reminds me of the time we let 1 loose in a necromunda campaign

Bloodknight
16-03-2009, 22:50
Poor Necromundans. They would have had to shoot him because he absolutely ravaged everything in CC that wasn't a Bloodthirster or Avatar; because vs them his Neuro Gauntlet didn't work. He'd generally slaughter a Hive Tyrant - probably the third hardest CC nasty in the game except special characters - easily if he got one hit in, halving all his stats :).

boogle
16-03-2009, 22:58
well in all fairness they were experienced gangs, and we did have a Vindicare there too, they both got killed eventually by the myriad of gangs that converged on them

Insane Psychopath
16-03-2009, 23:04
I dont remember a sisters of battle codex except for the one that was in that white-dwarf, did they ever make a proper book for them in 2nd ed ?

Yes a 2nd Ed codex SoB came out, (UK) WD 212 I belive cover this with some the models that the time & some mission to cover this as well as some cool conversion

I can beat that, I was given the Rough Traded rule book for free just a mere few week ago

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/ironwarriors/insane%20psycopath/Termy%20army/DSC04484.jpg

Justicar_Freezer
16-03-2009, 23:08
thanks guys, and doing some digging I've found I have two copies of 2nd edition codex Assassins :) happy days.

So I need to get my hands on the white and black army lists as well for things like Squats. Hmm might have to do some searching.

I've played 2nd edition before and absolutely loved it. Much more detail and thought invovled or so it seemed to me. Looking forward to giving it a go again.

Gimp
16-03-2009, 23:15
You got nothing till you got the gorkamorka rulebooks :D

boogle
16-03-2009, 23:17
Got those too somewhere

nightgant98c
17-03-2009, 20:53
I love getting my hands on the old books. They have a ton of fluff in them. Plus it gives you the option of playing old school if you want to.

finbob
18-03-2009, 16:53
Was it 2nd edition when the Imperial Firebase came out?
There was another one too, but can't remember what it was called! Had both of them, used them as a base for my Necromunda gang.

Pacific
18-03-2009, 17:00
Seem to be quite a few people playing 2nd edition again..

The Ultramarine codex was indeed a beaut!

AndrewGPaul
18-03-2009, 17:06
Was it 2nd edition when the Imperial Firebase came out?
There was another one too, but can't remember what it was called! Had both of them, used them as a base for my Necromunda gang.

Yeah. There was the Firebase, as well as an Imperial Command Bunker, Bastion and a fourth one which I can't recall at the moment.

Hellfury
18-03-2009, 17:12
Bah. I have a copy of Laserburn from 1980. THE original 40K book before there was even 40K! :p

Like precinct omega, I have nothing to contribute to this thread. I am just showing off.

Pacific
18-03-2009, 17:28
I'VE got the hardback copy of Rogue Trader, so there! :P

Baggers
18-03-2009, 17:37
Don't forget the Necron codex in White Dwarf 217 and 218.

AndrewGPaul
18-03-2009, 21:51
I'VE got the hardback copy of Rogue Trader, so there! :P

You win. I've only got a paperback copy, and I cut all the counters out. :)

I did get both volumes of Realms of Chaos in a bring and buy for 4 (in total!) though. The only RT supplement I'm missing now is Waaagh! The Orks.

The Clairvoyant
19-03-2009, 00:08
thanks guys, and doing some digging I've found I have two copies of 2nd edition codex Assassins :) happy days.

So I need to get my hands on the white and black army lists as well for things like Squats. Hmm might have to do some searching.

I've played 2nd edition before and absolutely loved it. Much more detail and thought invovled or so it seemed to me. Looking forward to giving it a go again.

the black & white book (also known as the black codex) also has the rules for Genestealer Cults and Imperial Agents - which off the top of my head, include the basic assassin (before the vindicare, callidus and eversor were released), inquisitors, grey knights, adeptus arbites and the original adeptus sororitas (which then became Sisters of Battle)

captainramoz
19-03-2009, 01:39
I was just about to conceed that I was mistaken and blame it all on lexicanium... now I'm really confused :p What was on the cover of the 2nd ed. codex then?

There was a Codex: Ultramarines.
I've got a copy right here on my laptop ;)

EDIT: Ultrasmurfs - http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Codex:_Ultramarines_(2nd_Edition)
I could get copies of codex nids codex ultras and cosex wolfies