PDA

View Full Version : Collecting multiple 500 point Armys and keeping it fun?

Evilmop
17-03-2009, 00:07
Im looking for some advice, me and a friend play 40k a few times a week, we only have tyranids and SM between us.

Were wanting to get more of our friends playing and decided the best way would be for both of us to aquire another 500 point army each. So we would have 4 in total.

We have decided that one we definitely would like is tau and were tossing between CSM and Necrons for the other. All of which the battleforces seem to be a good option.

What is your opinion in relation to keeping the cost of the army as low (money wise) as possible, but buying models which will be effectice against each other to ensure it is more about using what you have well rather then super L33t army list's?

I want to get people into the game in a user friendly way as the guy who got me into it was a POWER GAMER who cared only about winning, and i dont want to spend a lot of money on the models themselves.

Aegius
17-03-2009, 00:41
You could always use special characters that change the identity of your army and add a unit that characterises that army type. I'll use my space marines as an example, although I didn't use special characters, I just themed my army.

When I started my marines, I built up a 400pt all comers combat patrol force. This consisted of a small tactical squad, a razorback and an assault squad. This then formed the base for my first 1500pt army. As new squads were released I added them to the 1500pts that I already had. This meant that I could field different TYPES of space marine armies.

Now the way I am collecting them is to base them on specific companies. The company I'm currently working on is the 6th company. A codex 6th company consists entirely of tactical marines who are trained to use space marine bikes. This means that the only units I'll be buying are bike squads and maybe the occasional tactical squad (as I already own 3 10 man tactical squads.)

My reasons for collecting differ from yours though, as it is my intention to one day have an entire marine chapter. But the way I am currently building my armies alters the way that they play dramatically, but at the same time results in me building a bigger army as a whole.

dugaal
17-03-2009, 00:49
Battleforces man; usually offer a decent mix of stuff, while fulfilling the troop requirements. (also are cheaper then buying individually)
get an Eldar box + HQ,
Necrons+HQ,
nab the Orks from the boxset (really cheap).

IG aren't a good idea, you need two BF for a legal army (and that still requires creativity... + a model) plus they are getting new stuff in may

This thread gives some insight on the viability and points from each BF (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55679)

blackroyal
17-03-2009, 01:04
I would get the Chaos box, since that is the "better" of the two options you list. I don't find that Necrons work at the 500 points level.

yabbadabba
17-03-2009, 01:21
I would get the Chaos box, since that is the "better" of the two options you list. I don't find that Necrons work at the 500 points level.

Not sure about the current Ed., but under the previous Ed. Necrons were more than a handful.

massey
17-03-2009, 06:23
The Assault on Black Reach box will give you about 500 points of Marines and about 450 points of Orks. Buy a box of Lootas and that'll bring you up to 500 for them too. So that's $60 (Black Reach) + $22 (Lootas) and you've got 2 different 500 point armies. Don't get much cheaper than that. Yes, I know you've already got a Marine army, but it never hurts to have more than one on hand.

Khorne Berzerkers give you a great value for your $$$ as far as Chaos goes. $30 for 12 guys is a steal. Two boxes of that and an HQ and you've got a 500 point force ready to go, though it'll be fairly one-dimensional.

Mega Nutz
17-03-2009, 08:48
If cost is an issue then Massey's suggestion is hard to beat. However if you want to stick with the original two---then I'd go with chaos. Based simply because the range has had the more recent update of the two and again offers variation with affordabilty!

Evilmop
17-03-2009, 10:16
Guys your help has been greatly appreciated.

I got black reach anyway and a load of marines, we just want to mix it up and bit and get new players involved.