PDA

View Full Version : A hyrda at 1000pts

Nicha11
17-03-2009, 10:53
How do i deal with a magic heavy DE army, with a Hyrda at 1000pts?

I mainly play TK and Lizardmen.

ROCKY
17-03-2009, 12:08
hmmm i dont know about tombke kings but with lizardmen, take stuff like the lore of fire to deal with the hydra, and disrupt their magic phases with scrolls etc/ then either skink em to death or use saurous/salamanders etc.

W0lf
17-03-2009, 12:36
How magic heavy?

With lizards take burning blade of chotek and kill the damned hydra, a caddy should do for defence imo. That or priest on EoTG w/diadam + scroll for 6 DD 1 scroll.

With tomb kings id assasintae the wizards with scorps and probably ignore the hydra whilst trying to mitigate its damage.

Spirit
17-03-2009, 14:03
Lizardmen have easily got the capability to poison it to death (remember its not US1 so there is NO -1 to hit for it being a skirmisher)

2 units of skinks with blowpipes will tear it apart in 2 turns.

WhiteKnight
17-03-2009, 14:36
First tip, use lizards. From what I've read and seen, when lizards fave Dark Elves with a hydra, they always take lore of fire. Hopefully get conflagoration of doom and wall of fire so it'll keep taking hits from the wall.

dsw1
17-03-2009, 15:25
First tip, use lizards. From what I've read and seen, when lizards fave Dark Elves with a hydra, they always take lore of fire. Hopefully get conflagoration of doom and wall of fire so it'll keep taking hits from the wall.

Unless I am very much mistaken, in 1000pts you can only take skink priests who can only use Lore of heavens :(.

With TK, use an SSC and 2 LP and a few bowmen (also a unit to ave the prince in). The SSC firing 12 in a game should make short work of the hydra assuming it gets past the regen ;).

With lizards, Stegs are quite good for taking on hydras apparently. I've heard that they statistically beat them but I wouldn't know :angel:.

danny-d-b
17-03-2009, 15:54
SSC is flameing, so it goes past the regen no matter what!

Dokushin
17-03-2009, 16:03
For Lizzies:

Magic isn't going to do it. 1000 pts. means Skink Priests only means your magic phase is a joke. Your best Hydra killers:

Stegs in general. Hydras would kill stegs in a fight, but on the charge those impact hits are going to tip things waay in the stegs favor, so just focus on getting the charge off. In addition, the poison bolthrower or giant blowpipes (from sheer volume) will do a good job of whittling it down, especially with Chief for BS5. The Engine of the God's d6 s4 no armor save will also do you well here to whittle it down with before the charge (bring the war-drum of xahutec and you can always march, you should be able to run circles around it). Stegs are a big investment at 1k, but one will be versatile enough to easily justify itself (especially with a chief or priest) and if he's willing to bring a hydra you may want to bring two.

Skinks. Oldie but a goodie. Doubleshoot blowpipes even at long range and you'll wrap this thing up in no time -- it's gonna take you maybe fourty wounds, but keep shooting and you'll get it. Skirmishing will help against the breath weapon, and if he gets a charge against a poorly-placed unit, 70 points, who cares. Maybe even field a unit of 5 chameleon skinks for 60 points, to block and get the poison train rolling.

Cavalry. A good, solid charge from Cold One Cavalry probably won't kill it, unless you sneak a Scar-Vet on cold one with the burning blade of chotec in there -- and the burning blade is a good enough item to where it will help you elsewhere, also. This is your best 'classic' solution.

Terradons. Drop rocks, harass with javelins, if it looks like it could be dangerous, charge to pin until help arrives.

Barbed Razordons. All those s4 shots will get this guy down eventually, although I would prefer skinks, I think.

Personally, I'd bring a chief on ancient with lance, chief on normal for BS5 great bow, 3x10 skink skirmishers, and some terradons if you have room, and you'll have a list that will eat that kind of crap alive.

Spirit
17-03-2009, 16:42
against the magic heavy part of the army, take an EOTG with diadem of power and dispell scroll.

6 dispell dice & scroll & 5+ward save from all the ranged attacks = nullified dark elves.

Then when you get close, S4 no armour save hits vs T3 troops = even more pain.

fubukii
17-03-2009, 21:55
i agree with the eotg and the scar vet solutions seems like a good counter to me.

Nicha11
17-03-2009, 22:03
i agree with the eotg and the scar vet solutions seems like a good counter to me.

Problem is an EOTG and a kitted out scar vet will set me back aroun 550pts.

so the rest of my army could easily be over whelmed.

I'll show you his list.

One lv2 with familiar on horse, one lv2.

x2 10 Repeater Crossbowmen

x5 Witch Elves

x5 Harpies

x5 Cold One Knights

Hydra.

Whitesox
17-03-2009, 22:13
How about terradons to kill the mages and saurus with spears led by scar vet with flaming sword to kill the hydra. Get two skint priests to counter the magic and leave it as that

Genrazn
17-03-2009, 23:08
Honestly, what I would do, kill everything else use the scar vet to go hunting on the COK, Use cohots to deal with harpies and or terradons. In a straight up fight terradons will win *Mostl ikely) And or charge the repeater crossbows with terradons.

Your best bet is tieing up the hydra or attempt to poison it down but with regen and a armour save its unlikely. Just ignore it best you can and take care of the rest. As the rest is easy to handle for lizards.

W0lf
17-03-2009, 23:14
Thats not hard to beat.

Chief with warspear on ancient

2x 10 skirmished skinks

2x stegadon

990 pts and GG.

Dokushin
18-03-2009, 06:11
Personally, I'd roll with:

Skink Chief, with War Spear, and ancient (380)
Skink Chief on a normal steg with BSB (315)
10 Skirmishing Skinks (70)
10 Skirmishing Skinks (70)
3 Terradons (90)
1 Salamander Hunting Pack (75)

The Ancient will win the game for you -- run the younger steg as support next to it, keeping it in position to countercharge anything that gets the ancient, and while you're waiting use the BS5 poison greatbow to kill cold ones. When you can charge with the ancient, go for it, but remember the giant blowpipes are devastating, also. The terradons will shut down fast movers, and the rocks will murder a lone character or do a number on crossbowmen. Salamander is a threat to anything in the list except the hydra. And the skinks are always useful, just dance around and shoot all the light-armor stuff to death.

Here's what to do about his stuff:

Repeater crossbowmen: Only a threat to the terradons. Shoot with blowpipes or giant blowpipes and get the sally up to breathe on them.

Witch Elves: A joke. Shoot with anything and they'll drop. Don't waste rocks. Charge with a steg for overrun if the opportunity presents itself. Bait if you're having trouble setting up.

Harpies: annoying but weak. Shoot with skinks or giant blowpipe, or the sally will do in a pinch. You won't get the charge with one steg but have the young ready to counter if they charge the old. Don't forget your stand and shoot reaction with the howdah weapons.

Cold One Knights: only real danger in the list. Shoot with poison greatbow, tie up with terradons, basically if you can get the charge with a steg they're gone from autobreak and essentially out of the game.

Casters: You're going to have to weather some magic, but remember that the two stegs are the important part, and they'll never blast them to death. If the casters are by themselves that's prime drop-rock bait, otherwise use the terradons to hunt the mage and tie down the unit, or use sallies and skinks to thin out, or if you've got time before you need to deal with other threats charge with a steg and challenge.

Hydra: The focus of the list. Basically pour shooting into it when you don't have a better target, and set up the charge with the ancient. 2d6+1 S6 impact + 6 S6 attacks + 4 S3 attacks = dead hydra. If you wind up letting the hydra charge the ancient, that's bad, but as long as you had your younger steg there to countercharge you should be all right. Shoot it and avoid CC for as long as possible, then throw everything at it.

fubukii
18-03-2009, 15:39
Thats not hard to beat.

Chief with warspear on ancient

2x 10 skirmished skinks

2x stegadon

990 pts and GG.

wolfs list would work, but 1 small change add 1 skink to each unit to make it a clean 1000 pts :P

W0lf
18-03-2009, 15:56
Basically i win.

But seriously that list will have him posting 'how do i beat this with DE at 1K'

which imo is a far harder question then the one you posed.Oh and skirmished skinks are 7 pts a model so you cant add 2 :P.

fubukii
19-03-2009, 02:12
oh they were skirmished i misread that! (i assumed they were ranked), add one then lol :)