PDA

View Full Version : Starting LotR - Where do I start?

devolutionary
12-12-2005, 05:54
OK, I'm looking at starting LotR. But I have no idea where or how to start. What box am I buying? What sort of rule sets are there? What do I need to keep in mind for books/supplements/etc... ?

I'm a complete newbie for LotR, so the more advice, the better! Help appreciated :D

Shadowheart
12-12-2005, 06:33
There's a starter boxed set called Mines of Moria, along the same lines as 40K's Battle for Macragge. But if you're not a total gaming noob and don't want the plastic miniatures (Fellowship, Cave Troll and Goblins) and scenery, you can skip over that.

The Lord of the Rings rulebook (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=60041499012&orignav=16) is the one you should get. It's got all the rules and profiles you'll need.

You may then want to buy some of the supplements (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301486&orignav=16) for the scenarios they contain. Soon the Shadow in the East supplement will be released as well, which will contain some new profiles not found in the main rulebook.

But that all depends on which scenarios you'll want to play, which forces you're going to collect. While there are rules for tournament-style pitched battles, LotR is at heart a scenario based game. Depending on your preference you can write up army lists and buy the appropriate miniatures (like you would for a Warhammer army), or you can pick certain scenarios and buy the miniatures required to play them. Or of course you can combine the two.

Arguably the best thing about the game is that it's based on The Lord of the Rings, both book and movie. You'll enjoy it most if you're a fan of them, in which case you'll probably have your favourite scenes and characters which will help you chose what to get.

devolutionary
12-12-2005, 06:41
hrmmm interesting. I am given to understanding that two armies are sometimes collected, one for evil, one for good (see my priorities?). Is this standard, or just a tournament anomaly?

As for the rulebook vs Mines of Moria, I'm assuming Mines only includes the rules for those particular units in the box, not for the rest of the game? I'm definitely eyeing up the Shadow in the East supplement, since I think Easterlings are, quite simply, fantastic.

All in all, it sounds fairly tempting. I need new games, once I've cleared up my current web building projects :)

Shadowheart
12-12-2005, 07:09
The game doesn't have army lists as such, there's just the Good side and the Evil side, and every game is a clash between them. The rules will refer to the "Good player" and the "Evil player". Thus the call for a set of armies in tournaments. It's not necessary for friendly play, if both players show up with an army belonging to the same side, you just have to decide who will be "Good" and "Evil" for that game.

In any case, the standard tournament size LotR armies are very small compared to those of the Warhammer games. It's a skirmish game, there are no units, every model is an individual. Most gamers agree that with larger forces (50+ models per player) it doesn't work well. So really two LotR armies aren't difficult to collect or carry around. Also means trying out the game doesn't require any large commitments.

Yes, Mines of Moria just has the rules required for playing the entry level scenarios in the box. It doesn't have the full ruleset, nor the full list of profiles. It's just a nice introduction for beginners.

hilltroll
12-12-2005, 08:19
Mines of Moria, as far as I am aware, contains the profiles for all models made under the New Line contract (film models). So you will get Gondorins, but not Dwarves or Hobbit Militia.