PDA

View Full Version : GT final reflections

rmthedude
17-03-2009, 13:49
I found this years 40K grand final to be a fantastic competitive weekend. The standard was the highest I have ever seen and was reflected in the overall standings. When you have excellent players such as James Esland, Alexander Fennell and David Millar struggling to get wins you know that the players competing on the top tables were the very best of the best.

I used my new daemon army and after years of tournaments as a necron player the first couple of rounds were a rude awakening! I eventually managed to pull it around and finish reasonably high up (well higher than Alessio anyway) and restore the belief that daemons might be my new thing. I played five really nice guys and only one muppet (game 6) and this also made me realise that it is possible to be competitive and friendly at a tournament.

Sure, it would have been nice to see a few more 40k races more strongly represented, Tau, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Tyranids and Guard armies were very few and far between, but the majority of the armies there were nicely painted and skilfully used. I do feel that GW events have to look at certain army builds (double lash with plague marines, twin seer councils etc.) and try to limit their power somehow so we see more interesting (and more demanding) army selection in the future, but for now I saw a well run and excellenty supported Throne of Skulls final.

Congratulations to all who attended.

x-esiv-4c
17-03-2009, 13:54
post your daemon list! :D

SOTIRIOS
17-03-2009, 14:11
The title should not be "Throne of Skulls Final but "Gorka Morka final"...9 of the first 20 were orks...Overall a very good final with many nicely painted armies and very strong army builds. The top 3 are certainly the best of the best...

elgamoth
17-03-2009, 15:02
I found this years 40K grand final to be a fantastic competitive weekend. The standard was the highest I have ever seen and was reflected in the overall standings. When you have excellent players such as James Esland, Alexander Fennell and David Millar struggling to get wins you know that the players competing on the top tables were the very best of the best.

I used my new daemon army and after years of tournaments as a necron player the first couple of rounds were a rude awakening! I eventually managed to pull it around and finish reasonably high up (well higher than Alessio anyway) and restore the belief that daemons might be my new thing. I played five really nice guys and only one muppet (game 6) and this also made me realise that it is possible to be competitive and friendly at a tournament.

Sure, it would have been nice to see a few more 40k races more strongly represented, Tau, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Tyranids and Guard armies were very few and far between, but the majority of the armies there were nicely painted and skilfully used. I do feel that GW events have to look at certain army builds (double lash with plague marines, twin seer councils etc.) and try to limit their power somehow so we see more interesting (and more demanding) army selection in the future, but for now I saw a well run and excellenty supported Throne of Skulls final.

Yap.
after seven editions (4 heats and 3 GT) i've seen that the players level is always increasing.
i've played 6 nice games and save for the firs one, where my opponent were veeery unlucky, i played 5 hard games, great players with strong lists.
i'm very pleased of it.
i'll be back for sure next november for heat2

Tyron
17-03-2009, 16:45
Can someone post links to the army lists and what they look like along with any battle reps.

Cheers!

Grazzy
17-03-2009, 18:14
Well, the top 10 armies contained

Eldar with 2 wraithlords and a council on bikes
Chaos with 2 lash/oblits
Orks with battlewagons
Orks in trukks
Sisters with 2 exorcists + many rhinos

shakespear
17-03-2009, 20:19
Sure, it would have been nice to see a few more 40k races more strongly represented, Tau, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Tyranids and Guard armies were very few and far between...

I assume you understand why those armies werent there or were "underrepresented".

rmthedude
17-03-2009, 22:37
Of course I do, for the same reason as there were so many double lash chaos armies and seer council eldar lists. This was GT finals, I don't blame people for not taking those armies, it just would've been nice to see all armies represented at such a major event. I played three chaos double lash lists, and while I don't blame the chaos players for taking that army (if I was a CSM player I probably would) it would've been nice to see play a wider variety of armies.

It was only a minor downside to a very good event.

Bodysnatcher
17-03-2009, 23:25
I'm one of the thin on the ground Tau players. And yes, there's a good reason we're rare :p

I just want to know how Simone Di Tomaso gets such a consistent performance. Does he sacrifice babies to the infernal gods or something?

harrytheschmuck
17-03-2009, 23:45
I'm one of the thin on the ground Tau players. And yes, there's a good reason we're rare :p

I just want to know how Simone Di Tomaso gets such a consistent performance. Does he sacrifice babies to the infernal gods or something?

yes, he must do

harrytheschmuck
17-03-2009, 23:47
Can someone post links to the army lists and what they look like along with any battle reps.

Cheers!

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188654

Tyron
18-03-2009, 01:40
Thanks for that.

I take it the top 3 were Orks?

Blackmoor
18-03-2009, 06:22
From this thread:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179443&page=6
(http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179443&page=6)

just got back, had an epic weekend. Will post up a report of sorts, but for anyone interested:
1:Ugo Oliveti with 1 Council and other stuff Eldar
2:Simone Di Tomaso with Chaos, unsure of list
3 Allen El-Sour with Chaos,2 lash 4 oblits and Land raiding berzerkers
4:Alex Whitehead with 2 Council Eldar
5:Scott Young with i think 4 Battlewagon Ghazgul
6:Me (James McGlough) with Chaos, Abbadon, Kharne and 2 Land raiders.
7:Phil Walter with Nidzilla
8:Gary Percival with Orks
9:Andrew Taylor with Witchunters ! :p
10:David Richardson with Orks

Lots of battlewagons, and the 2 top chaos armies had 2 lash and 1 land raider + some oblits. Armour 14 is the way to go.

Out of the top 50 there were:
14 Orks
12 Eldar
7 Chaos
4 Daemons
2 Witch hunters
2 Tyranids
2 Space marines
2 Space wolves
1 Necron
1 Blood angel
1 Dark eldar
1 Guard
1 Tau

So a nice representation from lots of armies, not as many chaos, and the high ones wernt 9 lash oblits. Lots of seer councils and battlewagons everywhere.

Had a great laugh, no problems, awesome time!

spikydavid
18-03-2009, 14:21

Hi Rob - nice to have met you, we played in game 1. Thanks again for the game, and glad to see you came back strong!

rmthedude
18-03-2009, 18:44
Hi Dave, yeah it was good to play you and well done on the weekend. I'd love to play you again in the future. It was a real learning curve with the daemons but I think I was getting to grips with them by the end. May see you at the heats (or maybe even the final next year) and I'll try and get some revenge.

Best

rmthedude
19-03-2009, 15:19
post your daemon list! :D

Ok.

Ku'gath The Plaguefather

Keeper of Secrets with everything

11 Plaguebearers with an Icon

11 Plaguebearers with a Icon

3 soulgrinders with phlegm and tongue

The army worked pretty well but the greater daemons were very disappointing. I'm gonna drop them both and put in 2 Khorne heralds on Jugganaults and 8 Bloodcrushers. More wounds, better armour and more attacks.

self biased
19-03-2009, 15:53
this thread just restored a little of my faith in 40k general.