PDA

View Full Version : Going out of bounds with respect to army themes

swarmofseals
17-03-2009, 20:25
I'm wondering what you all think about creating an army theme that doesn't mesh well with the general overall book fluff for the relevant faction.

I did this a bit when I was playing 40k in 3rd edition -- My Eldar army was designed with a "Ghost Fleet" theme. The idea was that they were from a craftworld that had been destroyed but for whatever reason returned to hunt down those who were invading Eldar space. I painted with a darker palette in general but when for a particularly ghostly feel with certain units like my howling banshees. I also used tactics that reflected that these Eldar were essentially invulnerable -- they'd come back again after death, so they'd use more brazen and risky tactics.

Anyway, this is just an illustration of a minor case of coloring outside the lines thematically.

How would you feel about more serious breaches of the fluff?

For example, I'm considering starting a VC army (still wavering between them and Wood Elves) and had the idea of making them less of a clearly evil force. Rather, the vampire leaders would be idealistic, trying to use their dark arts to create a sort of utopian society.

If any of you are familiar with Vampire: The Masquerade, these vampires might be pursuing something akin to Golconda, and maybe even achieved it. There is a bit in the VC book about someone curing his thirst by drinking from a dragon.

Perhaps this army would be centered around that idea. If you wanted to bring it more in like with the grimness of the rest of the game, you could say that they had secretly enslaved this dragon and had been feeding off it slowly, and that the dragon blood didn't actually cure them, just satisfy them for an abnormally long time -- but that the dragon is now slowly dying, and when it finally does die, it will reawaken as a vampire dragon and threaten to destroy the entire society.

I could see how some people would really like these kinds of themes while others would feel rather strongly that you shouldn't try to contradict the overall theme of the army book.

Urgat
17-03-2009, 21:15
Why not? Vampires in Warhammer retain their personality, as far as I know, so it's not impossible, I suppose.

Unforgiven666
17-03-2009, 21:35
I say go for it :)

xragg
17-03-2009, 21:49
I reputting together a dark elf army (my original army over a decade ago), but with a high elf theme. While still inheritly evil, first appereance is one of nobility, beauty, and charisma. Only in battle will one see the "true evil that lies underneath". Lots of bright colors, white cold ones and steeds, and subtle changes mostly just in the painting. Still, its not the typical purple/blue dark evilness you usually see in a dark elf force.

Drakcore Bloodtear
17-03-2009, 22:22
It sounds good and will give you're army a personal feel
but a problem that I face when making my own fluff
where are you going to put this Utopia?

Nicha11
17-03-2009, 23:23
Sounds like a good idea to me.

There are no wrongs when it comes to designing your army

Only not rights

W0lf
18-03-2009, 00:07
sounds like a cool idea.

Not as cool as the eldar though.. that was cool :P

fracas
18-03-2009, 00:20
i was thinking of similar idea for eldar

Lord Malorne
18-03-2009, 00:34
I have done this with my VC's, the best way to fight chaos for eternity is to live for eternity, so I have an anti chaos 'good' undead army :D.

spetswalshe
18-03-2009, 00:51
As above, my Mordheim Restless Dead warband (that I have yet to start putting together) is more anti-chaos than anti-life. It's just those darn witch hunters trying to burn my Liche that makes him flood villages with zombies and the like.

Basically, if you're putting any thought behind your army's fluff, you're better than most in my book.

And the idea of a vampire dragon is scary enough to make your 'good' vampires as viable a threat to the Empire as everyone else in the world :)

swarmofseals
18-03-2009, 03:44
So those of you who have gone this route, how did you reflect it artistically in your painting and modeling?

Lord Malorne
18-03-2009, 11:29
Mine is an undead elven army so... Plenty of HE spearmen with undead bits on them.

:D

boosticks
18-03-2009, 11:42
go originality, i think this kinda thing makes people's stuff more interesting