PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetically, if the rumors are true....

cuda1179
17-03-2009, 20:53
From what I am hearing there are rumors that the next "siege of Vraks" book from Forgeworld might contain an Ad Mech force list. This is rather cool in and of itself. Then I heard another rumor that FW has been bombarded with requests for Knight class titans. Also, in the recent books from the Black Library Knight class titans are heavily featured. Forgeworld has also produced the Brass scorpion, an opponent of equal size to the Knight titan ( and the SoV books always like to have equality on both sides)

With all of this being considered, would it be reasonable to assume that the near future might be a good, if not great, time for FW to release a Knight titan? How popular would you think it would be?

Bregalad
17-03-2009, 22:50
The current rumour as featured in this thread ( http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188382&page=2 ) says, that Vraks 3 doesn't feature AdMech but the previous Vraks forces plus more Inquisition (Malleus and Grey Knights) and Daemons. It adds that the next book might be AdmEch, perhaps against Necrons.

sydbridges
17-03-2009, 23:17
It adds that the next book might be AdmEch, perhaps against Necrons.

I'm confused. AdMech... not running mechanically-enhanced-face first into the welcoming gauss fire of the Necrons?

Gensuke626
18-03-2009, 00:34
The AdMech and the Necrons have often been at odds with each other. While the AdMech revere all forms of technology, they also see Xenos Tech as debased and filthy. To them, Shuriken Catapults and Gauss Blasters are about as sacrilegious as someone using a shrine of the Virgin Mary as a Urinal would be to most Catholics.

On top of that, the Necrons hate all life, and so usually try to kill the AdMech surveyor teams as soon as they wake up.

Now, that's not to say that the book might not cover some sort of AdMech vs an AdMech cult worshiping the Dragon or something like that, just that AdMech vs Necrons isn't far fetched at all.

E-616
18-03-2009, 00:43
I was thinking just the other day that we could do with some Knight minis, I wouldn't be surprised if we did see them at some point :)

sydbridges
18-03-2009, 02:00
The AdMech and the Necrons have often been at odds with each other. While the AdMech revere all forms of technology, they also see Xenos Tech as debased and filthy. To them, Shuriken Catapults and Gauss Blasters are about as sacrilegious as someone using a shrine of the Virgin Mary as a Urinal would be to most Catholics.

On top of that, the Necrons hate all life, and so usually try to kill the AdMech surveyor teams as soon as they wake up.

Now, that's not to say that the book might not cover some sort of AdMech vs an AdMech cult worshiping the Dragon or something like that, just that AdMech vs Necrons isn't far fetched at all.

Oh, I'm aware that theoretically, the AdMech isn't stupid, but generally in BL novels, if the AdMech shows up, then there is almost always Necrons, and the AdMech will normally immediately act in everyone's worst interests by waking up all the Necrons while attempting to steal obviously dangerous items in what would appear to anyone who isn't crazy to be a death trap.

It is almost refreshing that a book might actually have the AdMech at odds with the Necrons BEFORE they start harvesting the flesh.

Gensuke626
18-03-2009, 02:53
I've never felt that the Black Library accurately portrays the AdMech and their quest for Knowledge.

sydbridges
18-03-2009, 04:31
I've never felt that the Black Library accurately portrays the AdMech and their quest for Knowledge.

You mean you don't think they go around space saying, "Oh hey, guys, a van and it says Free Candy on the side, we should go check it out; nothing bad could come from this"?

Gorbad Ironclaw
18-03-2009, 07:18
It doesn't help that half the defining features of the Ad mechs seems to be what they can't do/won't do/don't understand so they can easily come off as ignorant religious fanatics with no real clue.

Promethius
18-03-2009, 09:39
You mean you don't think they go around space saying, "Oh hey, guys, a van and it says Free Candy on the side, we should go check it out; nothing bad could come from this"?

LOL. The admech simply can't be as stupid as they come across in the BL books; I also find this me-cant-i-cus thing a bit stupid. The STC system means that the admech can build most if not all Imperial tech; it's just that some takes more time/effort than others, probably as it has to be handmade (things like terminator armour).

Knight titans would indeed be awesome, and a mechanicus vs necrons book interesting both in terms of fluff and models. We'll have to see how it pans out.

Gensuke626
19-03-2009, 09:00

No. I think they're more like an Intelligent D&D party. Note the use of the word Intelligent. That's key. They find a place that has a high probability of having a large amount of treasure. They venture into the dungeon with Rogues(Servo skulls and recon Skitarii) taking point while the Tanks and ranged strikers (Servitors, Protectors, Heavy Armored Skitarii, Praetorians, ect.) protect the cleric (Tech-Priest Explorator). Once the danger outweighs the risk (Ie, the Necrons begin to wake up, large power spikes appear, a Chaos Marine/Ork is spotted) they pull back and send for reinforcements (More Skitarii and Servitors) or leave the area wholesale knowing that they can't take the treasure with the resources currently available.

If the Explorator believes he can handle the threat, the team pushes forward, recovers the tech and returns to the ship. There are exceptions of course however I believe that this is the majority of encounters, primarily because the Tech-Priests who go galavanting the galaxy looking for tech are the Explorators, who have been said to be equal in power to Inquisitors. Sure, they don't have Space Marine or Battle Nun chapters at their beck and call, but if you look at what Praetorian servitors are supposed to be (Ie. Genetically engineered Ogryns in Power/Terminator armor) I don't think they need the Astartes...

The belief that the whole of the Adeptus Mechanicus is as inept as Black Library paints them means that you're basically falling for Imperial Propaganda, as that is what Black Library books essentially are. Regardless of that fact, if you honestly believe that Explorator fleets are all failures then there's no reason why the Space Marines should have Land Raiders, Land Speeders, Baneblades and anything else that the Mechanicus discovered after the Emperor arrived on Mars.

Frontier
19-03-2009, 14:21
I always loved some of the Imperial Armor fluff that the Ad Mech has a whole slew of Dark Age tech and Xenos tech that they break out for their forces if the need is dire enough. These guys have their own agenda, and it certainly ain't the same as the religious idiocy in the Imperium.

Baragash
19-03-2009, 15:03
There was a rumour that IA7 would contain AdMech, but that was when Vraks was only due to be 2 books. The recent FW tank (name escapes me) has an AdMech background to it, so they're starting to have a wander down that road.

Am I the only one that wants FW to do 1 or more Ordinatus?

Kyrios
19-03-2009, 18:26
It does sound like a rather dull gaming concept to me:
1. Deploy Ordinatus
2. Opponent has to focus all attention on destroying it.
a) Succeeds - you can pack up and go home.
b) Fails - remove half his army and repeat step 2.

Chem-Dog
19-03-2009, 19:16
From what I am hearing there are rumors that the next "siege of Vraks" book from Forgeworld might contain an Ad Mech force list. This is rather cool in and of itself. Then I heard another rumor that FW has been bombarded with requests for Knight class titans. Also, in the recent books from the Black Library Knight class titans are heavily featured. Forgeworld has also produced the Brass scorpion, an opponent of equal size to the Knight titan ( and the SoV books always like to have equality on both sides)

With all of this being considered, would it be reasonable to assume that the near future might be a good, if not great, time for FW to release a Knight titan? How popular would you think it would be?

There is no way a Knight is a Titan, it's about as high (according to current scaling of things like the Warhound) as a Land Raider is Long and it has armaments equivalent of a Main Battletank putting it at the top of the Dreadnought/Soulgrinder/Defiler bracket.

Of course this is a good thing, if the Knight is released and steers clear of the whole Structure points issue a lot of people who would be put off by the price to usage ratio of a Superheavy will be more inclined to buy it.
This in turn will make an AM army proper in 40K much more likely and a Plastic Knight kit almost guaranteed :D

Am I the only one that wants FW to do 1 or more Ordinatus?

Well, once they have the main body of it sorted, they could actually just release kits to represent each type of Ordinatus weapon, personally I'd love to see the Ordinatus Marsthe one with the huge Sonic Array.

It does sound like a rather dull gaming concept to me:
1. Deploy Ordinatus
2. Opponent has to focus all attention on destroying it.
a) Succeeds - you can pack up and go home.
b) Fails - remove half his army and repeat step 2.

This thing is mounted on a chassis at least twice as long as a Baneblade, it'd be an Apoc only kinda deal, which makes it less.... boring?

I'd love to see the FW guys do mechanicus in general and the Knight in particular. Robots too.
I'm a Big fan of Mechanicum and if I wasn't so Kak-handed with the modelling, I would have made my own knight by now.

Aurellis
19-03-2009, 20:52
I know this may be a little of topic but if anyone does want information regarding how the Ad Mech do deal with the Necrons they should read the new Soul Drinkers book, Hellforged by Ben Counter.

Back on topic though, I would love to see a Knight Class Titan!