PDA

View Full Version : How to introduce someone new to the game

Bum
17-03-2009, 22:10
Well, the girlfriend asked me to teach her warhammer much to my delight, so now I'm kinda stuck trying to figure it out.

I've never been good with introducing people to the game so I'm not sure how to go about this. I figured taking it slowly and simplifying it down as much as possible would probably be the best bet but I really am not sure how to this correctly.

I have dwarfs and skaven to toy with in creating opposite lists and I figure 500 points is the best way to start.

I figure forgoing magic items/phase at first would be best, and keep it simple with movement shooting and magic. Giving her dwarfs seems the best bet since its simple enough for them.

Shes very competitive so I am trying to also design and make sure that she has a real good shot at kicking my butt first off. That should suck her in if she can win 2/3 games.

So I guess I have a couple of questions here at the end:

1. Good idea to get rid of the magic phase for a few games?

2. How to go about combat resolution since its so confusing at first.

3. What about lists? (For the Mods, I debated about throwing this in the list area instead but the previous questions made me post it here. If it should go elsewhere my apologies)

I came up with this for 500 points:

Dwarfs

Thane, General, Shield, Great Weapon

20 Warriors, Full command, Shield

10 Quarrelers, Shields

1 Organ Gun

It's about 10 points over 500 and I may just switch the quarrelers for handgunners as I could care less about giving her 20 more points than me. This list seems simple enough to me, the Warriors and thane should be able to take on any of my skaven blocks, and plenty of shooting to take down the horde. The Organ gun to me would be better than a cannon (I don't own a stone thrower) as it doesn't require guessing and probably will do more damage.

Skaven:

Chieftain - General, GW, Shield

25 Clanrats - Standard, Musician

1 Warpfire Thrower

15 Plague Monks, Full Command, Extra hand weapon

5 Night runners, extra hand weapons

1 Rat Ogre Pack

I'm hoping this isn't too tough for her to take down with the dwarfs. The Rat Ogre should get blown to bits fast, the plaguemonks should get taken down below effectiveness and the Clanrats can't take the dwarfs straight up (Or shouldn't).

I'm also hopefully encouraging her to make decisions with taking down the night runners who will gun for the organ gun, the warpfire thrower and the rat ogre. But hopefully this list will get beaten 2/3 times.

If you can come up with better lists, let me know. Please also if anyone has any advice about how to teach someone I'm all ears.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
17-03-2009, 22:16
Congratulations! You've already passed the most difficult test of all time: your woman knows about Warhammer. Now you've gotten the icing on the cake, which is made out of pure gold and win: she wants to play. I'd buy some lottery tickets right now if I were you.

Bum
17-03-2009, 22:21
Congratulations! You've already passed the most difficult test of all time: your woman knows about Warhammer. Now you've gotten the icing on the cake, which is made out of pure gold and win: she wants to play. I'd buy some lottery tickets right now if I were you.

I've holed up and reinforced the house. I'm pretty sure any minute now I'm going to be attacked by a liberation army or a meteor is going to crash into the house.

Shiodome
17-03-2009, 22:36
do you own skull pass? or know anyone that does... looking at the booklet in there would be a good place to start when looking for ways to introduce concepts gradually.

Bum
17-03-2009, 22:40
do you own skull pass? or know anyone that does... looking at the booklet in there would be a good place to start when looking for ways to introduce concepts gradually.

Actually thats an excellent point. I have the little full rulebook and I'm pretty sure I could find the box. I'll take a look in there.

Melchor
17-03-2009, 22:46
The first game probably shouldn't be an all-out killfest. Just take it easy, explain the rules as you go along (ie. when they come up) and be fair. You can offer tactical advice but never forget she's the one playing her army and let her have the final say. Teach her to have fun. You can always take it up a notch for the next game.

And let her choose which army she'll be playing. :)

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
17-03-2009, 22:54
The first game probably shouldn't be an all-out killfest. Just take it easy, explain the rules as you go along (ie. when they come up) and be fair. You can offer tactical advice but never forget she's the one playing her army and let her have the final say. Teach her to have fun. You can always take it up a notch for the next game.

And let her choose which army she'll be playing. :)

All of this is gold. When I was trying to get my wife into it, I showed her all the miniatures and she picked out the Lizardmen because they were the most colorful. Our first game was a small skirmish where I focused more on the basic rules than on crushing her. When it comes to her playing Warhammer, the object and point of the game is simply to bring her to the table and show her a good time.

Quetzl
17-03-2009, 22:54
Show her how to roll the dice, if you get what I mean ;)

From Shadows
17-03-2009, 22:57
Are you sure that she is really your girlfriend?!? ;)

Bum
17-03-2009, 23:03
Putting aside the innuendo and the possibility that my GF might just be a figment of my imagination that is a good point. I'll do my best to take it slow. And let her pick which side she wants.

Crazydu
18-03-2009, 01:12
As a woman who knew nothing about Warhammer till a few months ago, I would say it would be good to let her watch you play a game or two, to get a grasp of the basic principles of gameplay. I have done this, and it has just made me want to play and understand more :-) I guess the next best thing would be to let her try and make and army of her own and have a go, (as I am guessing this is the only way I am going to learn more - I want to do this but sadly i'm just not yet in a position to try and do it).

Good luck and have fun anyway :-) the best thing I would say as a beginner is its nice to have people explain things lots - not all of us are naturals to rolly dice games and it can take a little while to pick it up :-)

TeddyC
18-03-2009, 01:14
Recently I introduced a friend to the game... not a female friend... but we went into WhW and played a brief intro game at about 750 points.

Allows you a good sized unit, some missiles plus character and rare/special.

Didnt bother with magic but used everything else pretty much to the letter, flank charges etc which i understand some intro games dont do. That doesnt mean be a rules lawyer. if she forgets to declare charges go ahead and let her do it after... as long as its not in the shooting phase.

Just run her through it as you would in you mind (by that I dont mean say 'I would charge those dwarves with this rat ogre'. Just gentle hints. 'Do you want to declare charges? Do you think those rat ogres would do well against the dwarfs?')

The other thing explain why you need to roll and what for! my freind didnt understand how I knew off the top of my head the dwarfs WS and S and the rolls to hit and wound id need vs a goblin.

Nephilim of Sin
18-03-2009, 01:47
I would definitely suggest doing things in stages, like Skull Pass. Keep things basic at first, do a small game like that so she can get the feel of it (without force-feeding information). Things like movement, combat, shooting, etc....

Next things up the information by introducing a new element, perhaps magic, or characters (magic items), or things like special rules for units. Maybe escalate the points value: start with 500, then go up by 250.

Just remember it is a lot different to introduce a girlfriend than it is a friend, and the rewards are so much better as well.

Bum
18-03-2009, 03:05
As a woman who knew nothing about Warhammer till a few months ago, I would say it would be good to let her watch you play a game or two, to get a grasp of the basic principles of gameplay. I have done this, and it has just made me want to play and understand more :-) I guess the next best thing would be to let her try and make and army of her own and have a go, (as I am guessing this is the only way I am going to learn more - I want to do this but sadly i'm just not yet in a position to try and do it).

Good luck and have fun anyway :-) the best thing I would say as a beginner is its nice to have people explain things lots - not all of us are naturals to rolly dice games and it can take a little while to pick it up :-)

Thanks a ton for the info. I'm kinda kicking myself right now that I don't live where I used to and have access to the oh-so colorful Lizardmen army of my buddy. I think she'd like that one a lot more (Mostly because of the colors/looks) than my dwarfs/skaven. But thems the breaks. Thanks for your input :)

Volker the Mad Fiddler
18-03-2009, 04:11
All of this advice ignores one key fact- we don't know your girlfriend. Some people like taking things slowly; I personally hate it and read the rulebook once, threw together a 2000 point list and jumped into a full game [as Empire back in the 5th edition herohammer days]. Got crushed, but loved it and wanted to do better next time. So, how interested is she? Does she enjoy/appreciate complicated games and details or not? Is she easily overwhelmed, or will she be offended if you 'take it slow'? What type of learner is she- auditory, visual, kinetic, other? You need to consider these questions before deciding on a teaching style.

dooms33ker
18-03-2009, 04:16
Play a game of mordheim since 7-10 miniatures are allot less intimidating than giant units of troops, especially to girls.

Mordheim will teach the basic rules of stats and movement and dice rolling which is the most important thing.

dooms33ker
18-03-2009, 04:21
You don't have to use the fancy rules for troops when you teach some one the basics.

A person's interest in warhammer will likely depend on how complex (in terms of ruls) they like their games to be.

If your girlfriend likes video games (especially RPG's) then she may get into warhammer

Stuffburger
18-03-2009, 16:00
I'd start very simple if i were you- just 2-3 blocks of troops, no characters, no magic, no psychology, just move, shoot and close combat. The CC is simple enough, as is combat resolution but movement can be a little hairy, with marching, when you can march, reforming, wheeling, line of sight giving even moderately experienced players hangups sometimes.

I would then add characters, magic items, pyschology, magic one at a time while slowly building up the size of games until 6-7 games in you're playing full rules, 1500 point games.

Just thinking out loud though, I don't know her.

Archaon
18-03-2009, 19:45
Don't bother with balanced lists now.. just include a little of everything but mostly basic stuff, i.e. 1-2 infantry units og about 20 each, some skirmishers if available, light cavalry, a unit of heavy cavalry and a bit of shooting. Don't include units with many special rules because those units only get effective when using those rules and that might be confusing at first.

I also agree to pass the magic at first, i.e. spells and items.. you can introduce that at a later stage.

Go slowly through each phase and explain her options to her but let her make the choice.

Example:

"You are now in charge range for your heavy cavalry against my infantry unit. You can now attack with an average or slightly below chance of beating them or you can wait a turn until your light cavalry is in position for a flank attack so your chances of winning this combat are greatly enhanced. However you risk your light cavalry because i realize the danger and will try to shoot the light cavalry down before they can get into combat"

When you are through a couple of games and she gets the hang of it including what to look for, how to setup the army initially and thinking ahead a turn or two you can move on to include the more detailed rules like magic, psychology etc. and how that affects the game.

After she is a bit experienced with the rules you can start to show her how to build an army and what works best with what combination. After that it's a simple matter of try and error and of gaining experience.