PDA

View Full Version : eBay New Release Prices

Crube
12-12-2005, 10:28
About 6 months ago (or whenever the Wood Elves were actually released…) I picked up the army box from my local GW. Later that evening, I was on the internet, browsing through eBay, and noticed that some of the new Wood Elves were being bought for what can only be described as ‘silly money’ The book for £30, boxes of plastics for £25, the Ltd Ed Standard for £30 etc.

Now fast forward to this weekend. Crube pops along to his local GW to get the Dwarf army box. On getting home, I thought I’d have a look on eBay to see what things were going for (and if silly money was being offered, then I’d sell some of my dwarfs, until I could replace them on normal release ;)

The most expensive Dwarf book went for £20, the Ltd Ed Standard Bearer was £21, boxes of plastics went for £18, and the new Grudgethrower was £10, boxes of 10 Slayers going for £12. Now that to me seems to be some serious bargains…I almost bought more Slayers and cannons and Grudgethrowers, but managed to reign myself in (hey, my 1st 2K army list has NO slayers in it…

So is this the start of people wising up to excessive prices on the net? People becoming more patient for new releases? Or were people more excited about the Elves (and ‘nids) that the new Dwarfs?

marv335
12-12-2005, 10:41
there was far more demand for wood elves than dwarves. wood elf players had been waiting for a long time for the new releases, and so went a little daft when the new boxes became available.
the dwarves were not so much in demand.

Mikhaila
12-12-2005, 12:37
There are probably people picking up the army box, that have existing dwarf armies, and don't need parts of it. Slayers aren't new, so people could easily have too many and be dumping that box. Woodelf players had many years of pent up frustrations to work out.

The Ape
12-12-2005, 13:32
IF the book had ended up on the 'bay back when staff got hold of it, it probably would have sold for more.

Like the BT Codex's did - £78.00 thankyou kindly (Brushmonkeys copy went for £92).

Brushmonkey
12-12-2005, 22:46
Muahahahahahaha.

Ahem.

;)

boogle
13-12-2005, 11:47
There are probably people picking up the army box, that have existing dwarf armies, and don't need parts of it. Slayers aren't new, so people could easily have too many and be dumping that box. Woodelf players had many years of pent up frustrations to work out.
there are 3 new slayer sculpts in the Slayers box

t-tauri
13-12-2005, 12:18
There's a few reasons for the lack of silly prices:-

-they didn't sack a load of staff prior to the release of the dwarfs so people who got the army book early weren't able to sell as they were still contracted to GW.

-the limited mini is a conversion of the last army box standard who was also available through skullz so there's not a huge demand there.

-people only want the new slayer sculpts, not the old ones-you can expect to see a lot of slayer commands on ebay.

-the new plastics aren't that different from the old and many people won't upgrade their old plastics and metals. They lack the new units and options the Woodies had.

boogle
13-12-2005, 12:48
there isn't a Slayer Command in the Army deal, just 10 normal Slayers

Griefbringer
13-12-2005, 14:04
Definitely the hype-factor was much higher with the wood elves - after all, there had been nothing coming out for them since 1996, and the new army book and figures were significantly different in style from the previous.

Dwarves got their 6th edition army book around 5 years ago, and the new one is just a slight re-vamp of that.

Crube
13-12-2005, 14:21
Fair enough. Makes sense.

Having said this, how would you all see this going for Orcs and Gobbo's (as the next WFB army)

and for the Tau Empire

I bet if (when) Chaos Dwarfs get a redo - crazyness will ensue...

Tastyfish
13-12-2005, 19:23
Tau don't have enough new units - you would have to actually be crazy to go crazy over some slightly reworked legs, though if the stealthsuits are in the army box and yet delayed until cityfight they might not do too badly.

Griefbringer
13-12-2005, 20:40
Didn't the Tau came out around four years ago or so? I wouldn't expect anything to go wild with them.

Orcs and goblins are there with the dwarves - their previous army book and most new models came out at around the same time.

For the real hype-effect it should be something that has not been catered for a long time (Chaos Dwarves, Dogs of War, Squats), though under right circumstances a completely new but enthusiastically received force might make it (should be something more original than yet another space marine chapter).