PDA

View Full Version : Codex: Droids

my_name_is_tudor
12-12-2005, 11:36
In the same vein as my Codex: Clones (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18612), I am writing the 'opposition' codex, Codex: Droids.

I am though having a little trouble thinking of what to include.

Where the clone army is a highly organised military organisation, the droid armies are a ramshackle collection of units, which are more often than not just marched at the enemy in the hopes of winning by numbers. This means that guaging organisation of the forces is difficult.

So far I am looking at something like:

HQ
--Battle Droid Commander

Elites
--Droidekas (destroyer droids)
--Assault Droids

Troops
--Battle Droids squad (big unit, probably compulsary to take one or two)
--Super Battle Droids

Fast Attack
--Crab Droids
--IG Lancer Droids

Heavy Support
--Dwarf Spider Droids
--Octuptarra Droids

Note that I have stuck to small droids, i.e. infantry and 'beast' sized. I want to keep the larger droids with the vehicles, as many will be considered as vehicles for the purposes of making rules (homing spider droids, tri-droids, hailfires, persuaders)

I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to anything else I should include? I'm interested in another HQ choice especially.. perhaps units of magnaguard sent to oversee the battle as Greivous/Dooku's eyes and ears?

RampagingRavener
12-12-2005, 17:30
Grevious as a Special Character w/Magnagaurd bodygaurd would be a good choice. You could also have magnagaurd as a seperate elites choice, as you described.

Hailfires could possibly be a Fast Attack choice, an armour 11/11/10 fast tank with 4 missile launchers?

The Judge
12-12-2005, 19:35
Beautiful idea, I love the Super Battle Droids - especially in the arena in Ep. !!.

Would Buzz Droids make an appearance? I know they operate in space, but could they come down and fight on the ground?

my_name_is_tudor
12-12-2005, 19:55
RampagingRavenor: greivous will make an appearance in codex:CIS (check out the small index page thingy here (http://www.freewebs.com/grimdarkness/StarWars40k.htm).) and will most likely have the option of taking a number of magnaguard, that's why I'm umming and aahing abotu including them without him in the main 'dex.

As for the hailfire, I've thought about it quite a bit, but seeing as how it would need to be represented as a vehicle, I want to keep it to the armouries sub-dex.

The I.G. Lancers are a pretty self explanatory choice for a fast attack slot, they have jetbikes. THe crab droids are designed to scuttle across difficult terrain, so I'm thinking fleet and move through cover, and perhaps scouts to represent them scuttling ahead of the main force to clear the way. Which seems quite fast-attacky.

PS. I'm going to get the WIP version of codex:droids up asap, so you lot can see what you think.

Sandlemad
13-12-2005, 22:23
Personally I think Magnaguard would be cool as something like the emperor's champion, leading by example (for droids?) rather than commanding. Doing damage instead.
An independant character HQ or a small squad in elites.

Another idea would be the aerial battle droids from the ROTS game. I didn't get a long look but they seemed to be battle droids equipped with wings but lifted by jets; overall they looked very like robotic geonosians. A jump pack/deep strike choice?

Finally, what are assault droids? Some sort of CC battle droid?
Very cool stuff altogether, BTW.

my_name_is_tudor
13-12-2005, 22:38
aerial droids won't be making an appearance I'm afraid, they're too 'made up', not backed up by any of the fiction, apart from stuff from the game, which doesn't quite count as official in my book.

Assault droids are, funnily enough, nothing to do with assault (in terms of what it means in 40k anyway). They are better programmed and armed battle droids, with missile launchers in squads. Designed to combat head on the risk posed by ARC Troopers, but they're nowhere near as good as their clone counterparts.

As for magnaguard, I'm still umming and ahhing. The magnaguard were designed specifically for use as greivous's retinue, and were trained specially by him. So I don't much like the idea of them being on their own..