PDA

View Full Version : Themed Empire army

the johnanator
18-03-2009, 02:20
Hey guys i am thinking of starting an empire army and basing in around the britsh army in the movie "the patriot" with mel gibson.

What units would be a must in this army?

Has anybody seen it done before?

cheers

darkace77450
18-03-2009, 02:45
Handgunners, Great Cannons, Pistoliers, perhaps some skirmishers as native scouts or marines.. All in all it is a pretty bland army to play with but a treat to convert and paint.

Charistoph
18-03-2009, 05:27
Handgunners, Great Cannons, Pistoliers, perhaps some skirmishers as native scouts or marines.. All in all it is a pretty bland army to play with but a treat to convert and paint.

This will work for most of the armies that were around when muskets were cost effective enough to field in large numbers till the end of the 19th century and the advent of the machine gun.

badgeraddict
18-03-2009, 10:04
OT: The Patriot was a horrible film! Since when was the Empire considered Nazi? Bah!

That theme, as already been said is only really going to be made up of guns. Which is frankly to use.

The colour scheme would be sweet to see however. :)

darkace77450
18-03-2009, 10:28
OT: The Patriot was a horrible film! Since when was the Empire considered Nazi? Bah!

It really was a crappy movie with a villain so over-the-top that the audience just rolled their collective eyes at each attempt to make him despised.

That theme, as already been said is only really going to be made up of guns. Which is frankly to use.

The colour scheme would be sweet to see however. :)

There was a converted redcoat army in an issue of WD years ago, I believe in one of the GT coverage articles. If you can find this article it is definitely a good place to find some inspiration.

maze ironheart
18-03-2009, 11:33
Mel gibson in warhammer picture that model.

fluffstalker
18-03-2009, 12:28
Sick ironheart, just sick. :P

In response to the OP. This would basically be a gunline, which is really fine by me considering as there are lot worse builds out there but it wont be that great to play with after a while.

You would have the convert the below to their 17th century equilvalent. I suggest doing some research, youll see the models dont really match up.

Handgunners- Line Infantry with Muskets
Hussars/Dragoons - Outriders or Pistoliers
Cavaliers- Knights
Cannon - ...Cannon

w3rm
19-03-2009, 00:47
You could convert Handgunners with bayonets, to represent spearmen. Might not be so cheesy than.

Keller
19-03-2009, 14:01
You could convert Handgunners with bayonets, to represent spearmen. Might not be so cheesy than.

I really like this idea. Would make the army much more playable, but still keep the feel of the army.

spiderhaiku
19-03-2009, 14:58
Mel gibson in warhammer picture that model.

They have already done a life size model I think:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/William_Wallace_Statue.JPG

Tho this fig is probably for OnG not Empire :p

W0lf
19-03-2009, 15:01
If you want a theme like this but dont want to be OTT then take units 20 strong with full command.

There now its fine ;)

grumbaki
19-03-2009, 15:22
If you are playing with a friend, then I could see some leeway being made with the rules too. 10pts a model, count as being armed with spears and handguns, may fire while moving but not marching (as the redcoats could advance and fire). Fairly expensive models, no armor save but would look really cool. Failing that, the other suggestions are good ones.

darkace77450
20-03-2009, 04:18
If you are playing with a friend, then I could see some leeway being made with the rules too. 10pts a model, count as being armed with spears and handguns, may fire while moving but not marching (as the redcoats could advance and fire). Fairly expensive models, no armor save but would look really cool. Failing that, the other suggestions are good ones.

If you are using houserules then I would suggest making the handgunners armed with muskets (30" range, but an additional -1 to hit at long range; at a point increase of course) and count them as spears as well.

Conotor
20-03-2009, 16:52
Halberdiers were used to protect the battle standard in the napoleonic wars. You could also take knights, with a little converting to make them dragoons.

Sadly, warhammer is really no fun with masses shooting...