PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Canadian web store that actually answers emails?

TheKingInYellow
18-03-2009, 03:38
I have a $700 multi-buyer order in with GC-Minis and, as another poster mentioned below, they are really sub-standard with their communication. I was promised shipping by yesterday at the latest, but as I expected I have heard nothing. I dropped them an email, but I don't expect to hear back. It has now been a month since I place my order. I'm going to have to file a PayPal complaint to get any action, I fear.

Someone mentioned TableTopWarGames.com and I was willing to look at them as well. The group of buyers has a few extras we want to order, so I thought I'd give them a chance. The site says free Canadian shipping on orders over $150, but despite putting in a $300 order, it still wants to charge shipping on the web store. I have sent them three emails in the last six days to try and sort this out, and I have yet to hear back.

Is there another web store that offers a 20% or greater discount in Canada that actually communicates with their customers? I'd consider a US or UK vendor like WaylandGames but I'm concerned that the customs guys are going to nail me when the package arrives...

I have $1,000+ in business ready to go and it seems like no one wants it.

Hicks
18-03-2009, 05:57
What you are experiencing is a pretty common problem. In my experience GC-minis won't answer emails at all and take forever to ship, but they do ship you your stuff eventually.

Ser_Spazz
18-03-2009, 06:40
I've put most of my business in purchases in through E-Bay stores as of late, as I find they have much more to lose if they are shoddy with their store ethics. Blackdagger games, Hoard O Bits Back to Base-ix Discount_games_store and Blackdagger Games on E-Bay eat away my pay cheques for bits and cheaper than normal models. Most are US based, but their shipping isn't retarded, which is a plus.

I've had the same luck as you with online store's "accountability" being absolute garbage. I still have an outstanding bit order from one store from December, that I've been assured is "in the mail" and attempts at getting them to talk to me are almost entirely futile.

At least with E-Bay you have E-Bay itself keeping the store's accountable, as everything they do is on a ratings system and if they get poor reviews, they are penalized or shut down.

The Spaz

Shadowsinner
18-03-2009, 08:00
www.hillcitycomics.com

it used to be both canadian and american but converted strictly to up north. not sure how they are now but when i used to order from them the shipping was pretty swift.

Shadowsinner
18-03-2009, 08:02
err nevermind they took GW off their menu... haha sorry

zedeyejoe
18-03-2009, 08:58
Is there another web store that offers a 20% or greater discount in Canada that actually communicates with their customers?

I think you have your problem there, you want a discount and then think about customer service. Go for customer service first and then think about the discount.

A discount is only useful if you actually get what you order.

TheKingInYellow
18-03-2009, 14:10
www.hillcitycomics.com

it used to be both canadian and american but converted strictly to up north. not sure how they are now but when i used to order from them the shipping was pretty swift.

The own TableTopWargames.com now, which is their GW/minis branch. they are one of the sites that I'm having trouble with.

TheKingInYellow
18-03-2009, 14:12
I think you have your problem there, you want a discount and then think about customer service. Go for customer service first and then think about the discount.

A discount is only useful if you actually get what you order.

I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive though, do they? Amazon is a discount book seller and I've never had anything but exemplary service from them.

Besides, we all know that there is a serious premium applied to GW products compared to just about any other miniatures manufacturer, a discount is pretty important when you have other financial priorities, like kids, a house, a couple of cars, etc...

sliganian
18-03-2009, 14:53
Now stop me if you've heard this before, but I believe that there is a remarkable bit of technology that might help this situation: a telephone.

TheKingInYellow
18-03-2009, 14:55
Hard to do PayPal on the telephone.

caddock
18-03-2009, 14:57
www.miniwargaming.com

located in Ontario. Anser their phone and e-mail regularly.

Cane
18-03-2009, 14:58
Why don't you call the stores in question? Its hard for them to ignore phone calls, I did it with an order recently with a US store and found out they were waiting on one of the battleforces to arrive and the next day my order was shipped.

And if they don't have valid phone numbers on their site, don't do business with them.

TheKingInYellow
18-03-2009, 15:00
I plan to today. It just seems like a simple request to respond to emails sent to the email address you specify to send questions too :)

Pardon the rant, I've been dealing with this for a month now so I admit that there is a certain degree of bitterness in this.

Cane
18-03-2009, 15:01
I plan to today. It just seems like a simple request to respond to emails sent to the email address you specify to send questions too

Agreed. The bitkingdom.com and Nea's thewarstore.com have proven to be excellent for me in this category. The next business day they'd have a reply waiting for me in my inbox and will give you a free 'quote' on your potential order if you ask.

BTW the store in question was Superherogameland.com and I recommend them, free shipping (in the US at least not sure about Canada) on orders over 100ish bucks.

sliganian
18-03-2009, 16:26
Hard to do PayPal on the telephone.

The issue isn't one of payment, it is one of customer service.

Or when you said it was an issue of customer service that isn't really what you meant?

TheKingInYellow
18-03-2009, 16:32
No service is the issue. They provide a service online, they should have a professional response when someone opts to use the service.

The Paypal issue is why I do want to place the order online, and not on the phone. I've collected funds from the other buyers in this method, so that is the most convenient way to pay.

zedeyejoe
18-03-2009, 17:07
It just seems like a simple request to respond to emails sent to the email address you specify to send questions too

But emails don't always arrive.

No service is the issue. They provide a service online, they should have a professional response when someone opts to use the service.

I wish everything in life was as it should be.

I hate to say it but there are even businesses that take the money and don't send the goods (its called a scam). One might proceed in the hope that no one is out to rook you but that is not wise.

Besides, we all know that there is a serious premium applied to GW products compared to just about any other miniatures manufacturer, a discount is pretty important when you have other financial priorities, like kids, a house, a couple of cars, etc...

What are you on about? GW gives a fairly standard trade discount, its just a popular product and so resellers compete heavily on price.

But I agree children are expensive, having none, gives me more money to spend. Its a lifestyle choice.

TheKingInYellow
18-03-2009, 17:13
One of the three of them should have. If email was that unreliable no one would have a web presence for their retail business.

Regardless, GC emailed me back today and said they would send out a tracking number as soon as possible, and a phone call to TableTop did get the information I was looking for.

Bael
19-03-2009, 02:57
Someone mentioned TableTopWarGames.com and I was willing to look at them as well. The group of buyers has a few extras we want to order, so I thought I'd give them a chance. The site says free Canadian shipping on orders over $150, but despite putting in a $300 order, it still wants to charge shipping on the web store. I have sent them three emails in the last six days to try and sort this out, and I have yet to hear back.

The tabletopwargames checkout states a price for shipping when you check out but they don't actually charge you for it if you order over $150.

Try calling them, they have a freephone number I think.

TheKingInYellow
19-03-2009, 03:34
The tabletopwargames checkout states a price for shipping when you check out but they don't actually charge you for it if you order over $150.

Try calling them, they have a freephone number I think.

Yup, that's what I discovered after talking to them. I'm surprised that it's not mentioned on the FAQs or anything like that.

RedSarge
19-03-2009, 05:33
Oh no, I hope GCM behaves this time for the sake of both YOU and ME!
As I have ordered not too long ago (March 10th) , a combined order.

zedeyejoe
19-03-2009, 08:53
One of the three of them should have. If email was that unreliable no one would have a web presence for their retail business.

No. If there is a reason for email getting blocked (blacklisted domain for example) then it will continue to happen regardless of how many emails are sent. Unfortunaly one of the side effects of spam blocking also means that harmless emails get blocked.

Certainly in the last week I have had one customers order details either not sent to me (by PayPal) or blocked somewhere in transmission. Not a problem since the actual order was on the PayPal website so a went there and printed the order off. Typical 'get around' of a problem.

I think you have a problem where you have a view of how the world works but the world does not actually work like that.

rich1231
19-03-2009, 09:05
I'd also suggest making sure you registered on their store with the correct address.

The number of people that enter their addresses incorrectly is staggering.

TheKingInYellow
19-03-2009, 13:46
No. If there is a reason for email getting blocked (blacklisted domain for example) then it will continue to happen regardless of how many emails are sent. Unfortunaly one of the side effects of spam blocking also means that harmless emails get blocked.

Certainly in the last week I have had one customers order details either not sent to me (by PayPal) or blocked somewhere in transmission. Not a problem since the actual order was on the PayPal website so a went there and printed the order off. Typical 'get around' of a problem.

I think you have a problem where you have a view of how the world works but the world does not actually work like that.

I somehow doubt that they've blacklisted both Gmail and western Canada's largest ISP.

I think you have a problem where you are seeing the world from the perspective of a store owner, where the store can do no wrong.

I'm sorry, you offer a web service as your *primary* business source, you should be answering your email in a timely and professional manner.

TheKingInYellow
19-03-2009, 13:47
I'd also suggest making sure you registered on their store with the correct address.

The number of people that enter their addresses incorrectly is staggering.

Certainly, I could imagine that being an issue.

I'm not implying that the customer is always right, I've done retail and I know that it is simply not the case.

Codsticker
19-03-2009, 17:05
What you are experiencing is a pretty common problem. In my experience GC-minis won't answer emails at all and take forever to ship, but they do ship you your stuff eventually.

This has been my experience with them as well; I always get my stuff but it can take a month and I am only 3 hours north of them. :eyebrows:

TheKingInYellow
19-03-2009, 17:07
This store does a lot on eBay, and I have purchased from them before: www.HeavySupport.com

They are responsive on ebay, and I just noticed their site now. 20% off WFB and 40K, free shipping over $150 as well. Anyone have any experience with them?

Atrum Angelus
26-03-2009, 09:15
www.hillcitycomics.com

Just never go into his store. I lived in Thunder Bay, where the store is located, while going to university, and half the guys there were just rude.

As for responses to orders, GW Canada's staff are all (well, most of 'em) are currently packing there desks. You'll be contacting the US guys soon, and may already be. All Canadians orders come out of Memphis, like the US orders.

TheKingInYellow
26-03-2009, 14:17
Just never go into his store. I lived in Thunder Bay, where the store is located, while going to university, and half the guys there were just rude.

As for responses to orders, GW Canada's staff are all (well, most of 'em) are currently packing there desks. You'll be contacting the US guys soon, and may already be. All Canadians orders come out of Memphis, like the US orders.

Well, all of my orders have been shipped. My 'promised to be shipped by the 16th' order from GC didn't actually make it to a post office until the 23rd. HillCity/Tabletop took about a week to bill me and ship.

Atrum, I'm also in Winnipeg. Can I ask if you do any local shopping here? I know Game Knight used to carry WH stuff, and we do have the GW store down by St. Vital mall. Any where else I should be aware of?

TheKingInYellow
26-03-2009, 23:30
Follow up to this.

I finally received my order from GC, and they shorted me two Stone Trolls, a Tomb Scorpion, a blister of Tomb Swarms, a Tomb King Catapult and they substitued a blister of three Witch Elves for a box of five Witch Elves.

They included a note saying that they have issued a credit, but it sure didn't show up on my PayPal account.

GC has officially moved from bad customer service to HORRIBLE customer service. I've opened a dispute with PayPal.

Cane
27-03-2009, 00:06
Wow, that really sucks but I commend you for posting it on the forum so we know whats up with various stores. I can't stand businesses that fail to deliver their end since we as customers are their only source of revenue.

Especially that bit about them refunding and substituting various products and you only finding out now inside the shipped box...wow they really suck. The amount of time it took for it to get to your location, the Paypal credit or whatever they were doing should at least show up on your account unless they've been slacking or ignoring you altogether - both are likely given their horrible customer service.

Whats so hard about getting orders written in plain text correct and within a reasonable timeframe?

TheKingInYellow
27-03-2009, 00:26
The GC guy has already emailed me back promising the missing items will ship 'next Monday'.

I seriously wonder why he thinks I should trust him any more?

Kymmerus
27-03-2009, 04:24
I and a Friend have done business with GCM before... their response to inquiries can be miserable, and on one order I called them only to find their voicemail full... though on the plus side they do offer a good discount, and despite their lack of response to questions about order status they did deliver all the goods... eventually..

I'll put in another suggestion for Miniwargaming they have a physical shop, and consider customer service.. answering questions about orders in their forums at times. (I also like them as I live close enough that I can always get my order in person)

In addition to a discount they also have a points system where you can earn credit towards a future purchase with them, plus they've periodically done sales where their discount is increased for a given period. Kinda plugging the local gaming club / store to a degree but really they're a great outfit to do gaming business with as far as I'm concerned.

TheKingInYellow
28-03-2009, 04:07
Looks like I'll be getting a refund for the missing items from GCM.

I can't say I've been happy with the experience, but at least it looks like they are going to settle up. Hopefully once the store move is complete they'll be able to focus on their service experience again.

zedeyejoe
28-03-2009, 09:01
They included a note saying that they have issued a credit, but it sure didn't show up on my PayPal account.

Credit, can mean that you have money in the pot waiting for your next order. I am not a fan of such credits, preferring to have the money in my pocket to spend with whom I want.

TheKingInYellow
28-03-2009, 14:57
That's not acceptable given the situation.

I asked for a refund and he issued it last night.

Atrum Angelus
31-03-2009, 12:10
Well, all of my orders have been shipped. My 'promised to be shipped by the 16th' order from GC didn't actually make it to a post office until the 23rd. HillCity/Tabletop took about a week to bill me and ship.

Atrum, I'm also in Winnipeg. Can I ask if you do any local shopping here? I know Game Knight used to carry WH stuff, and we do have the GW store down by St. Vital mall. Any where else I should be aware of?

There's Maxx Collectables down Portage (across from the park, in the same block as Sargeant Sundae's) and Comic's America on Academy (though, they are no longer bring in more GW because they messed with IP laws). Imagine Games down town will order any GW stuff you need in and it takes about 1-2 weeks.
I generally just go to the GW store. They have pretty much everything on hand, plus I know all the staff and almost everyone who comes in (worked there for two years, left in September).

TheKingInYellow
31-03-2009, 16:29
Yeah the GW store is really handy for supplies and picking up a single box or blister here or there. I really only use the online stuff for new armies or big multi-person purchases as in these cases.

I'll take a look at the other guys too.

Thanks!

Ashnyr
26-04-2009, 04:48
My friend and I are having issues with GC-minis as well. We've been waiting over 3 weeks for our orders and I just got an email saying that they would be shipping on Monday (of course I've had to email them four times and called them twice - got a full answering machine). Their site states that items will be DELIVERED in Canada within 2-3 weeks.

My beef is this, if you can't ship as it says on your site, either change your site or pull up your socks. I realize that they give a good discount, however, they should be up front and honest about their shipping policies (or lack thereof).

I've been dealing with them for a number of years and the last couple of years have really seen a drop off in their service. Nearly 10 years ago, they were AMAZING and that earned them my continued patronage and my referrals of other people to them. I'm not sure what has changed, but my opinion of their business certainly has.

TheKingInYellow
26-04-2009, 04:50
Try TableTopWargames.com or HeavySupport.com The difference in service is incredible... GCM is pretty much done as far as I can tell.

Hicks
27-04-2009, 06:22
My friend just ordered daemons from them last week... for our summer campaign. I hope he'll get his minis before the next snow storm...

Ozeor
27-04-2009, 06:52
J&Js Hobbies in waterloo ontario, IS AMAZING!!!!!!!! They are like 33% off if not more, i'm not sure about there shipping and handling, here is there website.

Order from these guys, I never order from anyone else but them, sometimes they have stock issues but me and my group of friends travel the 40mins driving because of there prices.

Also heavysupport is usually pretty good.

But J&Js is the best!!!

Bael
28-04-2009, 04:59
J&Js Hobbies in waterloo ontario, IS AMAZING!!!!!!!! They are like 33% off if not more, i'm not sure about there shipping and handling, here is there website.

Order from these guys, I never order from anyone else but them, sometimes they have stock issues but me and my group of friends travel the 40mins driving because of there prices.

Also heavysupport is usually pretty good.

But J&Js is the best!!!

Unfortunately J&J's don't seem to sell much online- they have a total of 16 products in their WFB section, and no LOTR products. In fact I can't find any Canadian online store that sells any of the new WOTR releases, despite them being in stores nearly a month.