PDA

View Full Version : More Alienesque Races introduced?

Genrazn
18-03-2009, 05:09
Anyone else intrested in GW releasing a army that isnt revolved around the thought of being close to humanish looking race. 2 legs 2 arms. But something relatively unique and different. Tyranids dont count as they do fall under the whole... humanesque realm that look like bugs.

Hopefully give it some more thought on releasing a army thats truly 'alien'

souljaking09
18-03-2009, 05:13
Not sure I understand? Tyranids would be that army. That would be neat to release an army like you said, but I doubt they will. I havent heard anything about it.

JCOLL
18-03-2009, 05:18
Yeah, probably not going to happen. I think GW has enough on their plate revamping older armies that deserve their spotlight time and new books similar to Apocalypse (rumored Planetstrike this year). IF (a big if) GW decided to ever introduce something new I'm sure they'd keep it humanoid. I guess they had their chance to diverge with the Tau and they didn't.

massey
18-03-2009, 05:42
They have races like that in the background. Part of the problem is that if you diverge too much from body shapes we recognize, it just looks dumb. "Yes, this lump with a tentacle is my commander."

Personally, I'd like to see homemade army lists people have created. Even if it's just Generic Alien Race X (background -- "In a movie, these are the guys the Space Marines would be killing in the opening scene, before they get notice to go fight the main villain of the show. They have purple skin and funny ridges on their faces"). At some point I'd like to make a small army of some unknown race, just as a change of pace. I could use VOR miniatures or something.

sabre4190
18-03-2009, 06:09
Personally, I would love too see more alien races introduced. They add alot of character, and as long as the number doesn't get ridiculous, I would love another race or two.

As far as races being non-humanoid, it is a tiny bit tricky to imagine a non-humanoid race advancing to a highly technological state. GW had a monster-made list made of a bunch of creatures and random aliens, and encourage creativity. But a fully developed race needs to be able to travel across planets, and as such have some method of travel. They really do need some kind of ranged options, since shooting is so important in the game. Hands and feet are really favorable for this. A race needs a way to get around, so we think of this as legs. This can be replaced by something like tentacles, but really for a land based creature, legs make sense for something standing upright. And standing upright allows a creature to use its hands. Ex. Gorillas struggle to walk and use their hands, because they use those hands for balancing. Speaking of hands, an advanced race really does need them. How else can they create technology? Sure they could be all psychic based, but this would make for boring models. So, it makes sense that every alien is roughly humanoid, because we cant think of something that can build stuff without hands!

Tyranids really are the closest exception we can get. The actual little guys are not builders, and only have offensive appendages (talons), and sets of feet. They have permutations, such as tenacles for raveners. They do need that ranged attack, so they have things like hands to allow them to aim. They have something like biovores, which have more natural weapons.

So, for a really well thought out race, its not going to get any more un-humanesque than bugs. GW can still use clever exaggerations to make new aliens, but we can really imagine an alien conquering the stars without hands.

Genrazn
18-03-2009, 06:09
Well making a race look cool I think wouldnt be too much of a problem. Look at Metal Slug Aliens, bizarre and truly alien albeit I suppose based upon jelly fish. But not humanoid in any measure.

Tyranids dont really count as they are generally humnoid in shape.

Warforger
18-03-2009, 06:13
Metal Slug didn't need much of a story, as long as I can shoot it I don't care if its a nazi :p

Try Daemons, they seem to be the most unique aliens (if there aliens).

Genrazn
18-03-2009, 06:40
Daemons and Aliens arent the same thing you know :P As daemons are relatively daemonic with what, being made from ones imagination.

Still I would like to see race that doesnt follow the traditional 'humanish' blend.

Eiher or, a tabletop game doesnt need much of a story as its a game to play not really immerse yourself in heh.

souljaking09
18-03-2009, 07:05
Do you mean a creature with legs on top and head on bottom?:confused:

the_raptor
18-03-2009, 07:15
Tyranids dont really count as they are generally humnoid in shape.

"That word you keep using. I don't think it means what you think it means."

Tyranids are Centauroid dinosoids. There is a reason that most larger animals on this planet have a very similar symmetry. It is optimal for large creatures. The big-bugs might be more humanoidish (walking mostly upright) but the core of Tyranids was always the centaur forms like gaunts; big bugs are a gameist aberration.

Kburn
18-03-2009, 07:26
Firstly, GW needs to make the alien race something that is aesthetically pleasing, which is rather hard to do with non-human shapes. As the alien becomes more unrecognisable or blob-like, they start to lose a lot of appeal with customers. Tyranids are probably the best we can get, most models are gorgeous, and yet they're alien enough.

Also, don't forget that tyranids evolved over 5 editions to its current look. The previous few incarnations, while still alien, most models were arguably quite ugly, so its has taken GW 5 tries just to get the current beautiful models we have now. A new alien race would probably start off rather ugly and evolve over a few editions.

That being said, I think necrons have the potential to evolve over the good ol' humanoid model GW bases their models on. Unfortunately, I don't think GW will head in that direction...

Poseidal
18-03-2009, 10:06
I thought of a race that's basically a load of floating crystals that fire lightning at people.

It would probably be a bit boring to model, but could be an interesting 'one off' Rogue Trader style encounter.

fluffstalker
18-03-2009, 10:58
A good but impractical idea. GW desperately needs to fix older races before trying to introduce new ones.

And by the time they do that, some other races will have become obsolete, unless they do a thorough job this time and keep the codices balanced, which really is too much to hope for, what with their so called playtesting being a couple of games over tea using what they call balanced lists.

That being said, I wouldnt mind seeing some actual alien races. Nids right now is the only one that springs to mind.

Energy beings like Poseidal mentioned coudl be cool - Archons from the Protoss race in Starcraft?

The Demiurg and Kroot could be expanded on, I would love to see full armies for them.

Azhrarn
18-03-2009, 11:04
Energy beings like Poseidal mentioned coudl be cool - Archons from the Protoss race in Starcraft?

Technically the current Daemon codex already fills that niche quite nicely, they are warp energy made manifest through nothing but the willpower of their respective gods and the image imprinted on them by the collective psyche of the galaxy.

Industrial Propaganda
18-03-2009, 11:22
Tyranids are a mix of dinosaurs and insects. And not look humanoid.

Some daemons don't look humanoid too. (beasts and tzeentch)

I'm intersted to see them release miniature for the dog-like humanoid xenos from 3rd edition (can't remember the name).

Doppleskanger
18-03-2009, 12:27
I agree that they should eventually add another xenos, and that it shouldn't be a humanoid race. That's the star trek version of the universe, where aliens are either humanoid because it's just bit part actors in silly costumes, or blobs/crystals. The problem has been addressed in so many sci fi novels and authors have imagined many diffferent races that were star faring and non humanoid (admitedly many many more that were...) An early example would be the creatures in Asimov's amongst the Gods, more recent being the two xenos in the Ender series (although one wasn't star faring) or the gas giant dwellers in Ian M Banks The Algerbrist.
The arguement that the humanoid shape is the most effiecient and therefore parallel forms will evolve across the universe is suss. It is only even possibly true if you assume all intelligent species evolve on earth analogue planets, and there is no reason for this to be so. For example a planet with lower or higher Gravity will require a deifferent design.
Hands are also not the only way of manipulating the environment in complicated ways, although to develop technology some such method is required.
Also size is an issue. There is no reason for all species to evolve within the 5 to 7 foot range, none at all, although Nids and to some extent Tau address this.
Then you have to consider the development of species after natural selection has been replaced by deliberate manipulation. Once a species has the ability to re-write it's own equivalent of DNA, a vast range of possibilities become availible. There is also the option for Digital downloads and an entire species of hard ware based creatures, which could be of any shape they wanted.
I would like to see a new species that was both non humanoid and not at a human scale. Big spindly aliens perhaps, or mad war droids, working something like the Ogres in Fantasy, big in size, small in number.

Bregalad
18-03-2009, 12:36
Tyranids are obviously an Alien rip off, have a look at Space Hulk and old Hormagaunts.

Having another non-humanoid race would be fun, but as long as GW doesn't manage to update Dark Eldar and Necrons within 10 years, this discussion is futile.

Razarael
18-03-2009, 14:30
I had an idea for a race of aliens that was based this: If there are Daemons in the universe, why aren't there angels? The answer was: Well, there isn't a single happy soul in the whole dang galaxy, and warp being a reflection of emotion from the materium would not really allow for much in the way of angelic beings.

But why not have a race of aliens that look like angels. Sort of like little spider monkeys with strange wings that can do a number of things. For example, some wrap around the critter for 'armor' or some become razor wings for power weapons. The way I envisioned them is that they look divine but are totally monstrous, using people's faith to force sacrifies that boost the killiness of the 'angels' themselves, as they feed off the idea of things dying for them.

I wrote a little story about them, but it ended as soon as the Imperium really started to see them.

Lungboy
18-03-2009, 14:48
Tyranids are Centauroid dinosoids. There is a reason that most larger animals on this planet have a very similar symmetry. It is optimal for large creatures. The big-bugs might be more humanoidish (walking mostly upright) but the core of Tyranids was always the centaur forms like gaunts; big bugs are a gameist aberration.

Inconceivable!

Bergioyn
18-03-2009, 15:16
Well making a race look cool I think wouldnt be too much of a problem. Look at Metal Slug Aliens, bizarre and truly alien albeit I suppose based upon jelly fish. But not humanoid in any measure.

I thought of this too. And Metal Slug Aliens would make great model too, in my opinion.

a squig
18-03-2009, 15:24
i Reckon E.T would be a rock hard 40k model

but iam all for this ive thing there enough for humnoid stuff floating around, why cant we have a powerfull race of flying spaggetti monsters or summit. i think a shapshifting race would be a good addition

Necromancer2
18-03-2009, 17:53
Blobs... nuff said. ;) ..or some sort of floating Beholder type creature (no tanks/vehicles but you pay through the nose for beams/weapons)

seriously though... there wouldn't be enough money to be made in an army that doesn't offer variety.

or they need to make Necrons more Terminator esque.

Oh and A squig's avatar could work as well... like the creatures from Mars attacks or intelligent squigs with robotic parts.

Buddha777
18-03-2009, 17:58
Inconceivable!

I do not think he knows the meaning of this word :p

As for more alien races I'm all for it. Problem of course is what else are they going to add that dosn't have a humanoid appearance? A blob creature, floating rocks, formless energy? Any case will mean poor looking models and for a model company, probably not the best idea.

TimLeeson
18-03-2009, 18:00
YES!

Honestly, my biggest gripe with 40k is EVERY alien race is so conventional. Tyranids STILL have legs, arms and other conventional things.

Theres loads of great races in the backround but they dont get any focus, and thus it kind of ends up being a game about humans and bipeds and bugs of differing skin-colours (tau are blue, orks are green, necrons are silver ect). Pretty boring.

I want more races that are lovecraftian, theres tons of ideas and potential - but GW dont take advantage (maybe they wont sell because people need to "relate" to visual things in a way they can understand ?).

Either way, this is why I sculpt and cast up most of my own armies because 40k totally needs ;

* gothic style Triffids/killer plants
* lovecraftian elemental storm creatures (see my icon pic for cartoony depiction)
* black stringy asymmetrical black-hole aliens
* energy aliens in HOLOGRAPHIC ARMOUR
* A race of organic/flesh harvesters who use it to fix themselves (who visually look like Carpenters The Thing!)
ect

so best way is to learn to sculpt and cast and DIY because most people seem against aliens that are actually visually interesting.

SimonL
18-03-2009, 18:03
It's too "hard Sci-fi". Despite what many think, 40k is "Space Fantasy". It's epic and mythic, not science based.

Non-human races are cool (I'm a big Lovecraft fan). They exist, such as the Saruthi from Eisenhorn or the quadraped "Zoats" from Fulgrim, but don't really fit in as major players in the setting.

If we have to have a non-humanoid race..it must be the Daleks! You could just paint pepper shakers silver and use the rules for the Monolith for each one :P

Master Stark
18-03-2009, 18:15
As others have said, if you deviate too far from the 'norm', it becomes very difficult to put 'badass' into a model.

Something that looks like a giant bear, with frickin lasers on it's head is more badass than something that looks like a sea urchin with tentacles rather than spikes.

SimonL
18-03-2009, 18:18
As others have said, if you deviate too far from the 'norm', it becomes very difficult to put 'badass' into a model.

Something that looks like a giant bear, with frickin lasers on it's head is more badass than something that looks like a sea urchin with tentacles rather than spikes.

Very well said lol. 40k is built on "Cool" and "Awesome" not "weird".

Zahr Dalsk
18-03-2009, 18:25
I'd certainly enjoy seeing more alien species in 40k that truly feel alien. I see so much insistence that they must all be bipeds, must all have physical bodies, etc... gets tiring after a while.

However, GW aren't interested in creativity. If they released a new model range, it would most likely be a new human army. Maybe special rules for some chapter or other.

You could just paint pepper shakers silver and use the rules for a grot for each one

Fixed.

TimLeeson
18-03-2009, 18:30
I disagree, its totally not cool and awesome, it is however boring and painfully bland. Give me me nightmarish abstract entities from beyond any day, much more exciting models and visual appeal, it just takes some creativity and sculpting talent to put that into great models. I'll prove that when my own company puts its first wave out later this year.

p.s. tzeentch horrors and flamers are already proof you can do all the above and make great models.

SimonL
18-03-2009, 18:56
I disagree, its totally not cool and awesome, it is however boring and painfully bland. Give me me nightmarish abstract entities from beyond any day, much more exciting models and visual appeal, it just takes some creativity and sculpting talent to put that into great models. I'll prove that when my own company puts its first wave out later this year.

You misunderstand, I meant it's built on super soldiers with chainsaw swords and power armour fighting demons, killer ninja space elves, ultratech undead robots and anime-mecha communist aliens :P

I'm not saying the Lovecraftian stuff is bad, it's just not 40k. It be like going on a Call of Cthulhu forum and saying "These unknowable alien creatures are so boring, we need giant robots and super soldiers as well" It just doesn't fit...That's why we have CthulhuTech :D

Now, if you wanted to make a miniature game for CthuluTech, that would be amazing; I'd love to have some model Engels, or Mi-Go mecha or Rapine Storm gribbly monsters (Ok, I know that's it's just Chaos lol).

You could just paint pepper shakers silver and use the rules for a grot for each one
Fixed.

Grot!!! How dare you, those toilet plungers are deadly! You will be EX-TER-MIN-A-TED :chrome:

Darkhorse
18-03-2009, 20:16
Take it to extremes, you could have something that moved like a seal or snake, (Though 'nids have the latter covered I think) or you could go for something that moves like a giraffe after a few pints.

Poseidal
18-03-2009, 20:35
If we have to have a non-humanoid race..it must be the Daleks! You could just paint pepper shakers silver and use the rules for the Monolith for each one :
Joking aside, the Necron rules are pretty good for Daleks.

In fact, Citadel actually made model Daleks, so using counts-as and provided you can get the models, you can play a 100% 'tournament legal' Dalek Necron list.

sliganian
18-03-2009, 20:39
Well, the most economical approach would be to do a race that can shift the EM spectrum around them continusously. In effect, they are invisible!

My 1,500 point army of said race consists of 60 25mm bases.

StarFyreXXX
18-03-2009, 21:07
Sliganian ...

and I will commission "paint" an army of those 60 bases for $1000 for any buyers :D

Sanjay

SimonL
18-03-2009, 21:27
Sliganian, someone beat you to it already...

Valharik
18-03-2009, 21:49
Theoretically this non-anthropomorphic aliens indeed existed, but the empire exterminated them during their crusades.

It sucks that the human in 40k its like the perfect condition of a living being in the universe and the more you get away from that, the more corrupt, useless or evil you are. Eldars are losers, Tau are lobotomized folks, orks are silly hooligans...Tyranids are bloodthirsty bugs...but i guess it have more something to do with Lovecrafts legacy, cosmic horror stories and stuff like that; the estoic humanity against the mean deformed abominations who hides out there...

Genrazn
18-03-2009, 23:10
Honestly, saying the imperium killed them all is a bit of a stretch. There is likely going to be a non humanoid race out there that can be competitive. Though it would be amusing to have a alien race based around gas suits. Not using a humanoid measure. But the term passing gas would be amusing.

Would be a intresting concept at least having a alien race based around living on gas giants and using gas suits to survive. Using crystallized vessels and the like.

Imperialis_Dominatus
19-03-2009, 03:15
I had an idea for a race of aliens that was based this: If there are Daemons in the universe, why aren't there angels? The answer was: Well, there isn't a single happy soul in the whole dang galaxy, and warp being a reflection of emotion from the materium would not really allow for much in the way of angelic beings.

Who says that which looks angelic must be angelic? I think Tzeentch would have lots of fun making daemons that look like classic depictions of servants of 'good' gods who are wholeheartedly evil.

EDIT: By the way, Saruthi from the Eisenhorn series.

Valharik
19-03-2009, 03:36
Define "good". If you mean love or friendship then it would be an "angel" who hug and strokes the enemy instead of fight him. Because violence is, objectively, bad: it cause pain and death and a lot of bad feelings in those who suffer it (those feelings which feed Chaos, precisely). The reasons to fight are always objective, so i donīt see any real "goodness" anywhere.

The only good gods, i mean the less bastards of all are the ones who belong to Order (Eldar gods and the Emperor), and the Order doesnīt mutate its servants if its not thanks to scientist methods. Mutation is a privilege of Chaos (and tyranids, but there it is called evolution).

Imperialis_Dominatus
19-03-2009, 05:27
Define "good". If you mean love or friendship then it would be an "angel" who hug and strokes the enemy instead of fight him. Because violence is, objectively, bad: it cause pain and death and a lot of bad feelings in those who suffer it (those feelings which feed Chaos, precisely). The reasons to fight are always objective, so i donīt see any real "goodness" anywhere.

That's what the quote marks were for. 'Good' gods. Like, the Abrahamic God is a 'good' God. Except when He gets all Old Testament on your golden-cow-worshiping self.

Valharik
19-03-2009, 05:37
Yeah, that was for Lazariel, but iīm too lazy to quote him, soz. :P

Master Stark
19-03-2009, 05:50
I disagree, its totally not cool and awesome, it is however boring and painfully bland. Give me me nightmarish abstract entities from beyond any day, much more exciting models and visual appeal

Nightmarish abstract entities simply don't work as 28mm miniatures. If it's too abstract, it simply looks like your cat chewed up some plasticine, or like something your kid might have thrown up after eating roasted potato skins.

Something that might be totally cool and horrific in real life won't necessarily translate into model form, because they are different mediums.

Imperialis_Dominatus
19-03-2009, 06:15

Oh. Then I guess it's time to say DISREGARD THAT I SUCK SUPER GLUE TUBES.

And it's delicious. *drools blood*

Doppleskanger
19-03-2009, 12:48
The one tit bit i always really liked is on the map of the galaxy in the BGB.

"Consteallation on the far Eastern Fringes once known as the Wings of Sanguinius. Now known to harbour the hyper-violent Barghesi. Avoid at all costs."

I mean in a galaxy with Nids, Orks and Dark Eldar, let alone the Forces of Chaos, how mental do you have to be to be considered "Hyper-violent"?
Don't think there's any fluff on them other than the Iron Lords stop them leaving the Grendal Stars.
I amagine something black with loads of long spindly limbs that acts like Taz as soon as it sees you!

TimLeeson
19-03-2009, 13:47
Nightmarish abstract entities simply don't work as 28mm miniatures. If it's too abstract, it simply looks like your cat chewed up some plasticine, or like something your kid might have thrown up after eating roasted potato skins.

Something that might be totally cool and horrific in real life won't necessarily translate into model form, because they are different mediums.

Again : Tzeentch Horrors and Flamers are proof they DO translate into model form and look great. They are as abstract and nightmarish as you can get, entirely non-humanoid, random placement of limbs and features ect.
And iv seen more than a few people around here saying they have the "best" looking daemons in the range.

Razarael
20-03-2009, 04:40
Who says that which looks angelic must be angelic? I think Tzeentch would have lots of fun making daemons that look like classic depictions of servants of 'good' gods who are wholeheartedly evil.

That's where I was going with the idea. It looks all cute and cuddly and like it wants to be your friend and protect you, but it would create an aura of unconditional love for itself, whereby all beings are unnaturally attracted to it and will give up their lives to protect it. And that is the complete intention of these Angels aliens. Everything they do is a sick ruse to convince more and more to die for them.

An idea I had for a unit was sort of like a Will'o'the'Wisp (or something along those lines) that was able to change size at will --- that is, when humans died in sacrifice, this creature would expand, and it would be explained that there souls are being gathered for a more dire purpose, but that they are not just dying for nothing.

I'm guessing I'm Lazariel? :p

The only good gods, i mean the less bastards of all are the ones who belong to Order (Eldar gods and the Emperor), and the Order doesnīt mutate its servants if its not thanks to scientist methods. Mutation is a privilege of Chaos (and tyranids, but there it is called evolution).

Define good? I don't really remember saying anything about good or evil. But if I had to define it - I'd say 'good' is anything that makes me periodically happier, more content, able to live a longer life, or more powerful be it at the expense of others or not. Bad is anything that makes me weaker or takes away from any of the things I mentioned were good. Good does not mean altruistic.

Point is this - what is good for me will probably be bad for somebody else, as it a theme in 40k as it is in the history books.

---

But aren't we talking about Alien races? Lovecraft would be a good place to go for the strange and nasty. I kind of forgot about all that until someone mentioned it here. The problem kind of arises when when they need to be given a purpose. The 'devour all life' is a played out motif with the Tyranids and Necrons. But what would be the purpose of a bubbling monstronsity if it weren't to... devour? Give something wierd looking something more depth and it just turns into Tzeentch.

What could a giant walking talking scheming space lobster with a heart of gold who can invade the minds of its victims and spread it's own variety of perverse wisdom. Wait, even that sounds like a Keeper of Secrets.

Having a race that's just fighting because it wants to has already been done. Thank you Orks.

Human style motivation is hard to attribute to something that is supposed to be an anathema to all that is 'human.' I can't really do it.

How about this angle though - Take a more humanoid alien who likes to capture and breed and control the various monstrous entities found throughout the galaxy. Some sort of bored race of aliens who gather all the wierd nasties and, simply for fun, unleashes them against the races of the galaxy. It'd be a way to include lots of wierd critters without having to come up with a plot for them.

Although, this unfortunately looks a lot like a mix of Dark Eldar and Orks. Wanton murder and carnage for no point other than wanton murder and carnage. Hmm... I like that. There's nothing like wanton murder and carnage to start the morning.

Um... On that note...

kikkoman
20-03-2009, 04:48
But something relatively unique and different.

The fact that they have space orks and space elves is pretty unique and different for sci fi.

Sir_Lunchalot
20-03-2009, 05:51
Again : Tzeentch Horrors and Flamers are proof they DO translate into model form and look great. They are as abstract and nightmarish as you can get, entirely non-humanoid, random placement of limbs and features ect.
And iv seen more than a few people around here saying they have the "best" looking daemons in the range.

you're talking about these guys (http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=99119915020&orignav=13), right? They look pretty Humanoid to me. the body orientation is pretty much the same, They've got something close to a head, they seem to walk on two legs, the only oddity is the random extra arms and tentacles. now Screamers are a much better example of non-humanoid models that look gorgeous. The problem with non-humanoid aliens is that it's harder for an audience to identify with them. Ever wonder why the vast majority of science fiction novels have human protagonists? and those non-human protagonists that exist are almost always humanoid, or a parasite on a humanoid? With novels you can't say it's because of the "visual appeal" or because of the cost of makeup/special effects. rather it's because audiences have less ability to relate to something alien than something human.

That said I think there's room for a lot of cool "non-humanoid" aliens. My personal favorite is the "gasbag" archetype - aliens evolved in Gas Giant atmospheres that are essentially living blimps. it's got a lot of potential in terms of looks, unique gameplay, and fluff. I'd also love to see an AI race. Not metal humanoid shells like the necrons, but actual AI - self aware programs able to customize their bodies at will.

Oberst Viktor Morte
20-03-2009, 06:38
Well, I think the best thing to do is look towards a few other sources which have already envisioned some brilliant concepts for definitely alien yet still cool looking Xenos. Take the Space Empires series for instance, best shown in #5. Here's some concept art:

http://www.spaceempires5.com/en-US/image/tid/26

An idea that I've toyed with a little bit is a super-hyper advanced race that comes from another galaxy. They'd either be here to conquer, to help, or because they're fought the Tyranids before and they really don't like them. However, they ended up roughly humanoid in shape, looking like the Protoss from Starcraft. I didn't realize that untill it was too late. =(

souljaking09
20-03-2009, 07:59
I just thought of the gorgonites from small soldiers. But I guess whoever it was would consider them "humanoid".

TimLeeson
20-03-2009, 17:38
you're talking about these guys (http://ca.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.ca?do=Individual&code=99119915020&orignav=13), right? They look pretty Humanoid to me. the body orientation is pretty much the same, They've got something close to a head, they seem to walk on two legs, the only oddity is the random extra arms and tentacles. now Screamers are a much better example of non-humanoid models that look gorgeous. The problem with non-humanoid aliens is that it's harder for an audience to identify with them. Ever wonder why the vast majority of science fiction novels have human protagonists? and those non-human protagonists that exist are almost always humanoid, or a parasite on a humanoid? With novels you can't say it's because of the "visual appeal" or because of the cost of makeup/special effects. rather it's because audiences have less ability to relate to something alien than something human.

That said I think there's room for a lot of cool "non-humanoid" aliens. My personal favorite is the "gasbag" archetype - aliens evolved in Gas Giant atmospheres that are essentially living blimps. it's got a lot of potential in terms of looks, unique gameplay, and fluff. I'd also love to see an AI race. Not metal humanoid shells like the necrons, but actual AI - self aware programs able to customize their bodies at will.

The ones I was thinking of more were these guys :
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1252334_99119915032_DaemonsFlamers3Main_873x627.j pg

I agree most people seem to ned something to relate to, but there are many of us who dont and instead go on shape and form instead - ill know we'ere a minority - but I think if GW sold something to fit that niche it would sell well - the best way would be to do an all-metal release similar to the necron raiders in second edition and codex in WD, so it doesnt eat up too much resources.

I agree on the Gas Giant idea, a friend of mine is developing a really cool gas based race and so far the sculpts look amazing, better than anything I could do too! apparently they use their gasseous bodies to go inside their prey and destroy them from the inside-out, and are more protectors/defenders of their small empire rather than a "major" threat (which I also like).

Heres some sculpt iv been working on, not finished yet, and im well aware some areas look rough - but it gives you the basic idea : http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/Greens/P1060972.jpg
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa207/embodiedscrew/Greens/Tolathianstuff_new01.jpg
elemental lovecraft creature that sucks air in through its bottom limb at tremendous speeds so it can float slowly just above the air.

Bookwrak
20-03-2009, 17:51
Oh dear god, please tell me it's are not the Pan'fo.