PDA

View Full Version : Matt's Fantasy Campaign

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
18-03-2009, 06:31
Hello, Warseer! I've been writing, reading, arguing, and enjoying this website for years now, and I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who makes this such a great place to participate, learn, and teach. I have spent so much time on here communicating with all of you that I've really come to appreciate your input and ideas.

So, with all that in mind, I am planning a campaign for a few of my friends and I want to share everything I schedule and how my players react. This way I can have the fluff experts, gaming masters, and the odd assortment of hooligans that call Warseer home aid me in keeping the game close to the background and a challenge to play. Heck, maybe I'll even encourage some others to create their own campaigns. Or maybe the mods will just close it.

The campaign is ultimately story-driven. There are no trees or set guidelines to determine where the story will go, but a general arc that I'll use as a guide based on the outcome of the individual games played. For the first few scenarios, I'll be creating the lists for them and setting the stage, and then they will have full reign to decide to do whatever they want to do in order to fulfill their ultimate goal. Each player can be as involved as he or she desires, I realize that not everyone will be able to play every single week or simply may not want to. The game will continue to progress no matter what, with each real life week equaling a month in game time, with each season lasting 3 months. Weather, baggage trains, recovery rolls, and all other such things will be added in later as the players grasp the first concepts of play and are ready to deal with the intricacies of running an empire.

We will be using the Mighty Empires tile set (well, two of them) to create a large map. It is based on the Warhammer world, but changed slightly to involve all of the player races. As soon as I get the map tiles painted, I will post a picture. Most of the players are new to Warhammer, so we'll be starting out using the Skirmish rules from the 6th Edition rulebook (modified slightly for 7th Edition) so that everyone can ease into moving, shooting, close combat and all the rest. Also, it'll be easier to get 10-15 miniatures painted and ready to game than finishing a 1000 point army.

So here are the plans thus far:

1. Bretonnians - Ryan - Ryan's character will be the second oldest son of a Bretonnian noble. Since his older brother will inherit the lands and holdings after the death of his father (who has fallen ill), Ryan's character has decided to take the path towards becoming a Grail Knight. He will start out as a Knight Errant and through the course of the campaign will eventually become a Grail Knight. He also learns that his brother poisoned and killed his father and is in league with Chaos. The culmination of his story arc will be defeating his brother's army and becoming the ruler of his father's fiefdom.
- Ryan's first scenario will be defending a small village of peasants from a Beastman raid

2. Dwarfs - Scott - Scott's character is a Dwarf whose ancestors used to reign over an important hold in the mountains. They were overrun by a tribe of Night Goblins, with Skaven allies, and almost every member of the hold was killed or captured. Somehow Scott's character survived, still an infant, and was raised in another hold by distant relatives. Upon coming of age, he swears an oath to reclaim the hold and repay the Night Goblins and Skaven for the grudge they inflicted upon his family, clan, and hold. The culmination of Scott's story arc will be ousting the Night Goblin tribe and reclaiming the hold and relics of his forefathers.
- Scott's first scenario will be an ambush in the mountains by Night Goblins

3. Empire - Pat - Pat's character is a former state soldier who has returned to his province to find it in chaos. The elector count ignores the cries of his people while orcs, beastmen, and other foul creatures burn and pillage small outlying towns. This soldier will take up arms against the invaders and the people of the province rally to him. He will find himself a target of the count, jealous of his victories and the adoration of the populace. The culmination of Pat's story will be the defeat of the corrupt elector count and his own crowning by the people of his province.
- Pat's first scenario will be protecting a small farm from orc raiders

4. Lizardmen - Anna (my wife, huzzah!)- Anna's character is a venerable Slann Mage Priest, who has awoken from communing with the other Slann and interpreting the will of the Old Ones with a vision - a fallen temple city, hidden in a valley between impenetrable mountains, overgrown and decrepit but built with an incredible power for those that have the knowledge to unlock it. By transporting itself to this city, Anna's character will raise and command an army to rebuild the city to it's former glory, and reclaim the stolen artifacts to unleash the amazing magic planted within it by the Old Ones.
- Anna's first scenario will be fighting the lost and misguided skinks who have hatched and raised themselves, leaderless, for generations in the ruined city

5. Warriors of Chaos - Shaun - A champion of a mighty northern tribe, Shaun's character travels with his tribe south to raid and pillage the soft lands beyond the snow-covered north. But after a disastrous failure by their chieftain, the leadership of the tribe is now in question and Shaun's character hears the voices of the gods calling him to greatness. His story arc involves gaining control of the chieftainship of the tribe, surviving all of the tests and trials that the four great powers can throw at him, and finally being blessed and receiving their highest honor - daemonhood.
- Shaun's first scenario will be the fight against the failed chieftain and his followers to see who will rule the destiny of the tribe and lead them to greatness

6. Wood Elves - Randy - The forest home of Randy's character has been changing, beginning with the strange sickness that has befallen the ancient tree at the center of the wood, the Heart of the Forest. Now some of the forest spirits are being driven mad and turning on their Wood Elf allies, and Rany's character must rally his people and search for the cure before the forest tears itself apart or crumbles and rots into nothing. Randy's story arc will entail searching for items of power to combine into the cure, and finally a confrontation with the true cause: the dreaded Morghur, Master of Skulls!
- Randy's first scenario will be the beginnings of the troubles, a confrontation with a group of Dryads, driven mad by the warping powers of Chaos

At first the players will be mostly gaming against me, as I control all the races who will be antagonizing them. Orcs and Goblins, Beasts of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, and even a few Vampire Counts units are at my disposal to keep things interesting and introduce them to the varying races of the Warhammer world. I will create items and goals that intertwine for two, three, or maybe even all of the players later on to encourage them to fight, barter, or scheme against their fellow players.

This is all I have so far, but I will be continuously updating this as the campaign progresses. Suggestions, comments, criticism, donations (it's hard trying to buy core units for all these different armies!), slander, witty remarks, everything and anything is welcome. I hope that you will all enjoy this project as much as I already do. Thank you for your time and here we go!

WAAAGH!!

ChaosVC
18-03-2009, 07:04
Hi, this is really an ambitious project! Keep us updated if you manage to pull it off. I always like a narrative campaign.

Leogun_91
18-03-2009, 07:26
Couldnīt shaun be the elder brettonian broder in league with chaos....his secret meeting with chaos warriors is interupted by a witchhunter band....they must be killed to keep his secret....well secret...then they must find and kill the yeoman that sold them out having some peasant revolt battles....it would be fun to have one player be the others antagonist having them fight each other in the final battle.

just an idea

Gaargod
18-03-2009, 11:29
Very ambitious. I think for your own sanity you will probably need to get them fighting each other as quickly as possible, even if they're not even using their own armies.

mweaver
18-03-2009, 15:10
Sounds like a lot of fun - and something like I would like to try some day (I am sneaking my D&D players into WH slowly - I have "Mordheimized" their PCs and snuck a couple of biggish fights in using the Mordheim rules rather than D&D rules - they seemed to like it, so I will do it again every so often... and then make WHF versions of their characters...).

My wife is also a huge fan of the lizardmen. What is it about women and lizzards?

We had a campaign a few years back (sadly, it died an early death due to a divorce between two of the players - oops) where we started with Mordheim warbands, and slowly started shifting warband members over to WHF. Not sure how it would have worked out, but it seemed to be going OK. Mordheim characters become WHF characters with more skills (balanced by cutting back on magic items), and Mordheim henchmen become unit champions.

Which brings me to a couple of suggestions: have you looked at the Mordheim rules and the Warhammer Warbands rules? The Warhammer skirmish rules are a slightly simplified version of the Mordheim rules, without the campaign rules. Might be worth looking at them, and they are free downloads on GW's site. Warhammer Warbands was an interesting set of rules designed to let players build up their armies slowly - perfect for what you need with new players building new armies. If they are not currently available online, someone around here will have them. (I think I have the pdfs, for one).

Anyway - the campaign sounds like a lot of fun. Keep a blog. Encourage your players to contribute to it. Take lots of pictures. Keep us posted!

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
18-03-2009, 18:28
Couldnīt shaun be the elder brettonian broder in league with chaos....his secret meeting with chaos warriors is interupted by a witchhunter band....they must be killed to keep his secret....well secret...then they must find and kill the yeoman that sold them out having some peasant revolt battles....it would be fun to have one player be the others antagonist having them fight each other in the final battle.

That's an interesting idea. However, Shaun plays Warriors of Chaos, not Bretonnians. Even an evil Bretonnian noble would fight a lot differently than a northern tribesman. There is still a possibility that they will fight each other in the final battle, that's why I'm leaving things open.

Very ambitious. I think for your own sanity you will probably need to get them fighting each other as quickly as possible, even if they're not even using their own armies.

Also a great idea. I think that if there are a couple of people who want to come over and play and one of them want to use the "NPC" warbands, that would be fine. To be honest, because I'm the campaign manager and without an army in the campaign, I want to take every opportunity to play a game I can!

My wife is also a huge fan of the lizardmen. What is it about women and lizzards?

I really think it's the bright colors. Anna says, "They're not gross-looking like all the other armies."

Which brings me to a couple of suggestions: have you looked at the Mordheim rules and the Warhammer Warbands rules? The Warhammer skirmish rules are a slightly simplified version of the Mordheim rules, without the campaign rules. Might be worth looking at them, and they are free downloads on GW's site. Warhammer Warbands was an interesting set of rules designed to let players build up their armies slowly - perfect for what you need with new players building new armies. If they are not currently available online, someone around here will have them. (I think I have the pdfs, for one).

I have the Mordheim rules, although I have yet to read through them. I'm worried they'll be too in depth. The whole reason behind the Skirmish rules is to keep things simple so the learning curve isn't as steep. But I do like your Warbands idea. I have played a couple of Warbands games with some of the guys, so after we move up from Skirmish we'll probably move to Warbands.

Thanks for the questions and encouragement so far, I'll be posting some more things later.

Nicha11
18-03-2009, 20:49
Trurly an ambitious project, wishing you the best of luck.:):):)

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
25-03-2009, 04:53
Alright, I've made some more progress. Using the General's Compendium, one of the most amazing books that Games Workshop has ever produced, I have created an outline for the campaign, giving a general (ba dum, ching!) idea of the rules and guidelines.

Map Tracking - categorize each tile (from the Mighty Empires set) as to what terrain pieces can be chosen for battles fought there. Note tiles with season-specific effects or conditions.
Defining a Player's Realm - landmarks will be the plastic markers from Mighty Empires (old and new boxed sets) and the metal markers from the online store. Armies on the map will be designated by specifically painted banners.
Army Banners and Size - banners will be from 500 - 2000 points.
Turn Sequence - turns will be divided into Campaign Turns and the Season's End Phase:
- Campaign Turn: Move army banners, special actions (scouting, raiding, assassinate, etc.), schedule and play games, roll for casualty recovery. These turns will last one week and represent one month of in-game time.
- Season's End Phase: Collect Supply Points, roll for random events, cast campaign magic, spend Supply Points and update rosters, place new banners and landmarks, reroll priority for next season. Each season lasts three in-game months, or three weeks.
*Priority is determined by rolling 2D6, rerolling ties, and players will act in descending order.*
Real-Time Plan - there will be set game nights when gaming facilities will be available (my house, game boards and terrain), and each person will make an availability schedule to help with matches.
- Staying in Touch - individual players will be e-mailed portions of the entire map (the areas where their troops, cities, and other landmarks are) and private information about their army and going-ons. Everything else will be updated and displayed on the gaming blog (www.whfbgroupblog.blogspot.com). Also here, but they have been told to stay away from this thread, lest they learn all the dirty little secrets.
Movement - for simplicity's sake, army banners will be able to move one hex per turn.
Terrain - the only terrain that can block movement are the river tiles. They can only be crossed at bridges, or by special actions/abilities (building temporary bridges, magic, boats/ferries, the Lizardmen Aquatic special rule, etc.).
Battles - battles will be fought whenever two armies come into contact on the map. For the first few weeks, I will be determining all the point values, scenarios, enemies, and other particulars about the battles, just until everyone has gotten their feet wet. Scenarios will be used when appropriate or characterful, and battlefields will be formed with terrain pieces that match the tile it is fought upon.
Allies - players do not have to fight if they are normally allowed to be allies (see General's Compendium chart).
After-Battle Actions - the winner will claim/keep the tile, and the loser is driven back one hex.
Casualties/Troop Recovery - as per the GC rules, pg. 72
Prisoners - only characters may be taken prisoner, see GC rules pg. 73
Fleeing from Combat - GC pg. 73
Scouting Enemy Banners - GC pg. 74
Baggage Trains - we will not be using baggage trains for this campaign except for individual special scenarios (raids, capturing missions, freeing prisoners, etc.).
Economics and Supplies - GC pg. 76-77. These are excellent rules and will really help to keep things flowing. I'm glad I don't have to start from scratch.
Random Events - the Games Master (myself) will select events that are characterful, fun, or further the campaign at his discretion.
Magic - Season's End spells as per GC pg. 80

Well, those are the framework for the campaign so far. Please, let me know if there are any improvements or suggestions you may have. I have never run a campaign before, so any of you beardy veterans out there should feel free to critique and assist. And now, to post the first of many pictures. This is a goblin-crewed cannon that I based on the Dogs of War rules. I'm definitely going to be using them in a game versus Scott and his Dwarfs. Anyway, enjoy the pics and leave me some feedback!
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/Living4him5534/warhamer002.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/Living4him5534/warhamer008.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/Living4him5534/warhamer006.jpg

Edit: By the way, if anyone can teach me how to post images directly into my thread, I'd appreciate it.

Leogun_91
25-03-2009, 07:27
That's an interesting idea. However, Shaun plays Warriors of Chaos, not Bretonnians. Even an evil Bretonnian noble would fight a lot differently than a northern tribesman. There is still a possibility that they will fight each other in the final battle, that's why I'm leaving things open.A little tweaking (not to much) of an exalted to make it a little bit more brettonian and youīr set, the chaos warriors would be in league with him and he can ofcourse not have men at arms or other knights fight at the same time as them so his army would be unchanged, thinking aout it a mounted exalted with the purebred warhorse rule would represent the evil knight very well, during those battles he would not need to hide his chaosself (actually heīd better just hide his real self and look as a normal chaos warrior making him need no conversions at all. It was ofcourse just an idea, itīs youīr campaign, and itīs all up to you.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
30-03-2009, 04:01
Small update here. I have created the three Skirmish scenarios for the Warriors of Chaos player and fleshed out his story some more.

Shaun's character (the Warriors of Chaos player) is a blood thirsty Marauder of one of the northern tribes (he hasn't picked one yet, or a name, lazy bastard). His chieftain claims to have received a vision from the gods, demanding that the tribe venture south and plunder the soft, rich lands of the Empire. All the other warrior leaders pledge themselves to the task and give their support to the chieftain, but Shaun's guy has had a disturbing vision of his own: the tribe in tatters, fleeing from a dark foe and a blood covered plain, strewn with the bodies of the northmen. He is accused of cowardice, and reluctantly goes along. On their way down, the tribe is ambushed by a Dark Elf raiding force from the coast. The tribe is nearly completely destroyed, and before Shaun's character is felled by a blow from behind he watches his fellows retreating and being cut down, just as he saw in his dream.

Mission One: Bones to Pick - page 12 in the Skirmish book. In this scenario, the remnants of the tribe must regroup and attempt to vacate the battlefield. This won't be easy, however, because Ghouls have been drawn to the corpse-strewn clearing. If everyone is killed, he'll start the next mission with less guys, some other survivors having carried him to safety. If he can make it off with more than half of his men still alive, he'll receive extra Marauders for the next mission.
Mission Two: Slave Train - page 26 of the Skirmish book. After having survived the ill-fated battle, Shaun's character has convinced the other tribesmen that he deserves to lead the tribe and they must cast down their chieftain to regain the favor of the gods. But to do this, they will need help. A Dark Elf slave caravan has been spotted heading back towards the coast, filled with more tribesmen. If they can be rescued, they will certainly join the fight against their dishonored chieftain. Any Marauders that are rescued will be available to fight in the next battle free of charge. Also, there will be a shaman available to be saved. He can't fight in the next game unless the main character dies, in which case he will become the main guy. (Just trying to hedge my bets here.)
Mission Three: Civil War - page 17 in the Skirmish book. Finally the survivors have arrived back at the camp and confronted the chieftain. Not surprisingly, he refuses to give up leadership of the tribe and his bodyguards are available to back up his claim to the position. While the remainder of the tribe stands by watching to see what the gods will, Shaun's character and the chieftain will battle for control of the tribe.

So this is what I have so far. I have five more races to plan, but I would like some feedback for this first one.

Leogun_91
30-03-2009, 11:36
Small update here. I have created the three Skirmish scenarios for the Warriors of Chaos player and fleshed out his story some more.

Shaun's character (the Warriors of Chaos player) is a blood thirsty Marauder of one of the northern tribes (he hasn't picked one yet, or a name, lazy bastard). His chieftain claims to have received a vision from the gods, demanding that the tribe venture south and plunder the soft, rich lands of the Empire. All the other warrior leaders pledge themselves to the task and give their support to the chieftain, but Shaun's guy has had a disturbing vision of his own: the tribe in tatters, fleeing from a dark foe and a blood covered plain, strewn with the bodies of the northmen. He is accused of cowardice, and reluctantly goes along. On their way down, the tribe is ambushed by a Dark Elf raiding force from the coast. The tribe is nearly completely destroyed, and before Shaun's character is felled by a blow from behind he watches his fellows retreating and being cut down, just as he saw in his dream.

Mission One: Bones to Pick - page 12 in the Skirmish book. In this scenario, the remnants of the tribe must regroup and attempt to vacate the battlefield. This won't be easy, however, because Ghouls have been drawn to the corpse-strewn clearing. If everyone is killed, he'll start the next mission with less guys, some other survivors having carried him to safety. If he can make it off with more than half of his men still alive, he'll receive extra Marauders for the next mission.
Mission Two: Slave Train - page 26 of the Skirmish book. After having survived the ill-fated battle, Shaun's character has convinced the other tribesmen that he deserves to lead the tribe and they must cast down their chieftain to regain the favor of the gods. But to do this, they will need help. A Dark Elf slave caravan has been spotted heading back towards the coast, filled with more tribesmen. If they can be rescued, they will certainly join the fight against their dishonored chieftain. Any Marauders that are rescued will be available to fight in the next battle free of charge. Also, there will be a shaman available to be saved. He can't fight in the next game unless the main character dies, in which case he will become the main guy. (Just trying to hedge my bets here.)
Mission Three: Civil War - page 17 in the Skirmish book. Finally the survivors have arrived back at the camp and confronted the chieftain. Not surprisingly, he refuses to give up leadership of the tribe and his bodyguards are available to back up his claim to the position. While the remainder of the tribe stands by watching to see what the gods will, Shaun's character and the chieftain will battle for control of the tribe.

So this is what I have so far. I have five more races to plan, but I would like some feedback for this first one. Seems good but I would have it be just his tribe that has been mustered for the war the ability to have him conquer other tribes later on is too good to ignore.

what about having Randy first play a skirmish finding mad dryads with the main character and a few scouts and if he gets away from the dryads in time he warns a slightly larger band of the threat in time otherwise he arrives mere seconds before the dryads attack. If the first is won the second scenario is a pitched battleish scenario as the elfs have prepared themselves otherwise itīs an ambush (dryads as ambushers) as the elfs are unprepared. After this the number of survivors decide how many elfs he can take with him to find the cure and investigate the cause. just an idea.

Zachary
31-03-2009, 20:55
You must not forget that IF you plan on pitching these armies against each other you will have to make all the armies of the fairly same size or give one a fortification. To make the chaos tribe bigger again you could have his men meet up with another tribe and your warrior challenge their leader in one on one combat. Whoever wins rules the tribe.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
12-04-2009, 04:10
Alright, I've been pretty busy. But that doesn't mean I haven't been working on this project as well!

Seems good but I would have it be just his tribe that has been mustered for the war the ability to have him conquer other tribes later on is too good to ignore.

Well, as far as "tribes" go, I think that's where I was leading. I'm not actually going to put other tribes on the map, simply have new recruits available when he can buy units. I imagine that when word of his successes reach the north lands, warriors will come streaming southward to join his horde.

what about having Randy first...

Thanks for the input, but I actually came up with the first three scenarios for all the players. I'll post them as I finish some models for them.

You must not forget that IF you plan on pitching these armies against each other you will have to make all the armies of the fairly same size or give one a fortification. To make the chaos tribe bigger again you could have his men meet up with another tribe and your warrior challenge their leader in one on one combat. Whoever wins rules the tribe.

These initial scenarios will be all separate, and the player will not be fighting each other until further in the campaign. After the first three games, everyone will be able to make a 200 point warband. Then we'll go up from there. The players should always be around the same level as far as numbers.

Alright, so I'm pretty sure I posted Shaun's scenarios above. I've just finished assembling the six captured Marauders for the Slave Train scenario. Here are some photos:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/Living4him5534/100_3793.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/Living4him5534/100_3794.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/Living4him5534/100_3795.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/Living4him5534/100_3796.jpg
I do need some more help. I'm trying to figure out how to make some Chaos camp tents and Dark Elf wagons/slave carts, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. Any suggestions about anything else in the campaign would also be great!