PDA

View Full Version : forgeworld stuff

Simo429
18-03-2009, 11:24
has anyone else been disappointed with the quality of what you get from forgeworld?

id orederd 60 quids worth of stuff and im pretty upset with the majority of it, i got it all for my new renegade guard army but ive not ordered 60 heads off of pigiron

ChrisMurray
18-03-2009, 11:29
I've found Forgeworlds stuff to be extreamly high quality and (to me) worth every penny.

If your stuffs mis-cast\missing parts just phone them up and they'll most likely happily sned you replacements, they have excellent customer service.

Marshal Sinclair
You have to do a lot of cleaning up of FW stuff, but that's not a drama as you expect it. Also, from my experience you tend to get better quality from them when you put in a sizable order. Next time you want something, try waiting until you want a few hundred pounds worth, then you get free shipping and they seem to take more care with your order.

Chem-Dog
What are you unhappy with? if there's a fault with the product, let the FW boys know, if you just thing they're kinda ... meh... then maybe you need to paint some, see how they look painted.

Michael M.
18-03-2009, 12:01
Normally iīm very pleased with the quality. But it could happen that a product is miscast. Like the others said, just phone them (donīt try Email, they will not answer). The customer service is really exellent.

chromedog
18-03-2009, 12:07
Last couple of issues were miscasts and spongey/very flexible resin (undercured).

They wouldn't replace without shipping the originals back AT MY COST. So I stopped buying from them.

StarFyre
18-03-2009, 12:12
That is strange....I had a miscast on my GUO....there was a slip in the mold it appeared and on it's back, one side was 'higher' than the other side. couldn't really fix it without resculpting part of it's back. They sent me a new one without sending that one back (since I was in canada, they said it be too costly to send it back to them).

Sanjay

Bregalad
18-03-2009, 12:38
I am happy with FW quality and orders, for years. If there is a miscast, call them (no email, please) and experience a good customer service with no questions asked.

Radium
18-03-2009, 12:58
I've had no problems whatsoever, except for simple things like flash and vents (but those are expected).

Foolish Mortal
18-03-2009, 13:06
Most of the stuff I've got from FW has been reasonably decent, a fair bit of cleaning up required, but, as already stated, it goes with the territory.

There have been some things, mainly epic stuff that has been less than brilliant, with poor/thin casting (especially around tracks), and one strange one where an Ork vehicle was virtually perfect, except one wheel which was mangled to hell!

All told I don't by that much from them these days, except the IA books.

Mannimarco
18-03-2009, 13:48
i live in scotland and when the sent me the wrong item (a dreadnought left arm missle launcher instead of 3 imperial guard thunderer siege tanks) they just sent out the right items after one phone call, didnt argue or anything

they didnt say anything about returning the item to them and when i asked about returning it i was given a freepost address to send it to

Lungboy
18-03-2009, 14:22
Last couple of issues were miscasts and spongey/very flexible resin (undercured).

They wouldn't replace without shipping the originals back AT MY COST. So I stopped buying from them.

Really? I had an undercured Rex and they gave me a freepost address to send mine back to. I've no idea if freepost works outside the UK, but it does seem a harsh penaltyfor living somewhere non-UK if it doesn't.

Michael M.
18-03-2009, 14:22

I canīt second that. I ordered IA2: SM and Forces of the Inquisition, but i got IA1: IG and IN. One call and they told me to keep the book and they send me the other for free.

Frontier
18-03-2009, 14:27
I should have told my friend to call FW and get new wings for his Marauder Destroyer. Words cannot convey how much I hate this model right now. I am having to use green stuff in conjunction with my glue, just to hold stuff in place.

Anyone have a good recommendation for a glue that works best with resin?

Lungboy
18-03-2009, 14:33
Use epoxy resin, Araldite or similar, and pin the bejesus out of all the joints.

Hashshashin
18-03-2009, 15:45
I have always had good luck with forgeworld's stuff. A few years ago I ordered cammander Cull'n adn they didn't include the bare head, I called them and they sent me one right out, no big deal. So I guess I am curious as to what your problem with your order is? Poor molding quality, or do you justy not like what you ordered?

Earthbeard
18-03-2009, 15:48
Only issue I've ever had was my DG sroceror's halberd was snapped when it arrived, so I contacted them and got a replacement straight away.

Of course a little bit of buyers remorse always slightly affects us over values spent :D

kaimarion
18-03-2009, 15:53
I phoned FW up the other day to ask them to send out the heads for my Khorne Lord as for some reason they never came with him in the first place, they asked for my oder details and that was that ,they weren't even bothered by the fact I ordered him in December lol.

The Orange
18-03-2009, 15:55
I have gotten mis-castes before, but FW always replaced them.

greenbull
18-03-2009, 16:33
They indeed have a good service. Unfortunately I needed that service a lot! Miscasts, broken pieces, missing item. Lots of phonecalls, but until now they fixed everything. No wonder their stuff is expensive considering how much shipments they have to do to get everything right...

Frontier
18-03-2009, 16:43
Use epoxy resin, Araldite or similar, and pin the bejesus out of all the joints.

Pinning. Time to learn it.

Binky
18-03-2009, 23:33
has anyone else been disappointed with the quality of what you get from forgeworld?

id orederd 60 quids worth of stuff and im pretty upset with the majority of it, i got it all for my new renegade guard army but ive not ordered 60 heads off of pigiron

Why haven't you ordered 60 heads off of Pig Iron?

Pacific
19-03-2009, 00:01
I was waiting for a topic like this to start..

First of all, I would just like to say that FW's customer services are excellent. They've never been slow to replace damaged things for me, and I know from reading both here and on other forums that its the same for others in the majority of cases. But, this is not the argument I want to make here.

It was when trying to bend a twisted razorback turret (basically the only bit in the pack, and it was bent almost 45 degrees) a thought occured to me: Not long ago, I was making a Dragon plastic kit of a Panzer II. This thing must have had 300-400 components, which fit together absolutely perfectly. I think there was like 1 exhaust bit which had a mismould - thats 1 piece out of so many. The kit included bronze etched components, a wonderful transfer sheet and overall I had to say it was a joy to build.

So next the normal argument about the problems inherent in resin, "Well, it costs thousands to make plastic moulds lol". So how come a company like Dragon (or in fact any other plastic kit builder for that matter) can afford to regularly build new sculpts? reading about this particular kit, it was completely original kit, made after a bunch of japanese engineers had travelled to germany and studied a Panzer II in massive depth, measuring its components down to the cm in scale. They had then created the design through to the inception of the model. All this for a Ģ27 kit. Suddenly that Ģ50 for a pre-heresy land raider where the warped components won't physically fit inside the tank, and then collapses under its own weight unless you've smothered it in araldite doesnt seem like such a good deal.

I'm sorry I find it hard to swallow that FW can't afford plastic moulds given the above example. I feel like the FW kits are the equivalent of the Nike trainer - you're paying for 20% quality, 80% for the name on the side of the box. Model making is supposed to be a pleasure, not trying to twist Ģ20 components in a tub of water and then plasticarding them because they are too small and fall through the gap they are supposed to fit.

The resin was perfectly understandable when FW was a new company and trying to find its feet and make a small return - now a pretty high percentage of hobbyists buy from them, and to say that FW isn't creating enough revenue to go plastic with some of its kits in my opinion is a bit of a cop out!

gamer2456
19-03-2009, 01:06
i've boughten a few hundred bucks worth of stuff from them and the only problem I ever had is they put two left hulls in with my hades drill. I left for mexico the next day so I didnt get around to calling until a few weeks later, when I did though, everything went fine.

Khornies & milk
19-03-2009, 02:09
I've bought quite a bit of FW stuff and it's all been great except for 'bubbles' in pain-in-the-ass places to fix, but overall good.

The thing that's gets me is that why should the really misformed pieces that some people have received even leave FW in the first place. Don't they have Quality Assurance Policies in place that would catch/stop sub-par product from even making it to the packaging/postage stage?

Thoth62
19-03-2009, 02:22
I've never had a problem with FW before, and I've ordered anything between Rhino doors and a full Chaos Warhound.

Some (extremely) slight warpage, but no miscasts or serious problems. And from what I've heard of FW's customer service, I've never had any worries that problems would be fixed if they did occur.