PDA

View Full Version : Light armour? Is it? Isn't it?

SuperBeast
12-12-2005, 12:50
Hi folks...
Have just availed myself of Army Builder 3 after having it recommended it to me.
Messing around, I discovered that you cannot buy the Helm of the Hunt for a Wild Rider Kindred Noble.

Under the Wild Rider kindred rules, it states that the character is provided with a spear and light armour, but [you] may replace either with magical armour or a magical spear.
I'm presuming the idea behind it is that the character doesn't risk breaking the golden "5+ save maximum" for fast cavalry units.

In the Helm of the Hunt's description (and fluff-wise, it's a no-brainer for a wild rider) it describes it as "provides a 6+ save that may be combined with other armour as normal".
To me, a 6+ save is a 6+ save. If it replaces the original light armour, then the helm cannot be combined with any armour, so it provides a standard L/A 6+.
I was going to report this as a bug, but then I wondered whether or not I was simply reading what I wanted to read first...

Wickerman71
12-12-2005, 13:02
The Helm of the Hunt is a helm it no where describes it as a Light Armour. A Wildrider Kindred is only able to take Magic Armour that counts as light armour; in the same manner they can only take Magic Weapons that count as a spear.

Avian
12-12-2005, 13:16
I'm presuming the idea behind it is that the character doesn't risk breaking the golden "5+ save maximum" for fast cavalry units.
There really is no such rule in 6th edition and Hobgoblins, for example can get 4+ saves and still be fast cavalry. In the same manner, you could have a 2+ armour save Goblin Big Boss in a Wolf Rider unit and he would still count as fast cavalry.

As the poster above me said, the helm is not light armour and can therefore not be taken by Wildrider characters.

SuperBeast
12-12-2005, 13:32
Thought as much.
Chalk another one up to "misleading fluff"...:rolleyes:

oma
12-12-2005, 14:18
Under the Wild Rider kindred rules, it states that the character is provided with a spear and light armour, but [you] may replace either with magical armour or a magical spear.(...)

i does not say that the wild rider kindred must have a light armour magical armour, so he may take the helm, but as it say: replace the light armour with the helm..

Wickerman71
12-12-2005, 17:25
No it must be magic Light Armour; which the helm of the hunt is not.

SuperBeast
12-12-2005, 18:36
Yup, specifies "Magic Light Armour" in the limitations, and the Helm's description does not describe it as "counts as light armour" which all the others do.
I suppose it is arguable, but I'm certainly not going to try.

So a helm infused with the power of a god is unusable by the bodyguard of his avatar.

You wait until I get my hands on you, Mr. Thorpe... :wtf: