PDA

View Full Version : Best Backround Army

Seargent K
18-03-2009, 19:46
In your opinion,who is the army with the best backround?

Cuda
18-03-2009, 19:53

For me it's the Marines/Chaos Horus era.

Best Army would be Iron Warriors, Night Lords & the Tragic Magazine detonation of the Crimson Fists Home World.

But I would have to say that the Sisters of Battle 2nd Ed. Codex was well written.

Necrons remind me of H.P. Lovecraft (Let's clear the planet and take back what's ours).

Cuda...

Aurellis
18-03-2009, 19:55
I love Tyranids and Marines most background wise but I voted for tyranids because they're more unique in my eyes and I love the rapid evolution which they are subject to. Also, Genestealer Cults are really cool

susu.exp
18-03-2009, 20:07
Varyngr - but Im enormously partial there...

My vote went to the Orks. Enormous depth to a Kulture that seems to lack it on first glance.

Lord Damocles
18-03-2009, 20:14
I, LIKE... Necrons

Yeah. I know I'm a Pariah as far as Warseer is concerned.

Somerandomidiot
18-03-2009, 20:19
I, LIKE... Necrons

As the poll looks now, you're not the only one! Tossing in my support for the Necrons too, I'm a sucker for the "ancient, buried civilization" theme.

Mannimarco
18-03-2009, 20:25
voted chaos, if it wasnt for them 40k as we know it would be very different indeed and nowhere near as much fun

odd that nobody voted space marines

sycopat
18-03-2009, 20:29
My vote went to chaos.

I enjoy them, as philosophically chaos has great depth. They're all bad guys, but they can range from uber-evil scumbag to tragic anti-hero to comedy madman, and anything in between depending on how you want them to be. That's a lot of thematic range before we get anywhere near choosing which great power to follow.

I also like the imperial guard (for being ordinary men fighting a galaxy hell bent on eating them) and most others. But chaos are my favourite.

Cocaloch
18-03-2009, 23:23
Eldars culture is in my opinion the most unique background in 40k. I have yet to find anything being even mildly close to it. Though Orks also have a great and quite unique kulture.

Valharik
19-03-2009, 00:05
Eldar background has the biggest potential, and its the most wasted too.

Closely followed by Necrons and Imperium (in general). I dont buy marines personally, theirs is the most extended background for comercial purposes, true, but one of the less deep.

TheCelestialbard
19-03-2009, 00:31
Guard was always one of my favs. There story is something I can relat to a small but better.

Mealstrom
19-03-2009, 01:10
I'm a big fan of Eldar. A dying race that was once the un-challenged rulers of the universe and created Chaos (especially Slan'eesh).

Plus I like subtlety, and that is what Eldar are great at.

CommissarKlink
19-03-2009, 01:12
Best Army would be Iron Warriors, Night Lords & the Hilarious Magazine detonation of the Crimson Fists Home World.

Fixed it for you :p

I voted Imperial Guard... they have well developed, often quite interesting fluff in their own right. In a way, however, every bit of background for each exotic alien or mutant superman only enhances the appeal of Joe Lasgun; his are the eyes through which we see the 41st Millenium.

W0lf
19-03-2009, 01:21
Space marines.

HH era, though i like the traitors so that could be concived as chaos, no?

mooserehab86
19-03-2009, 01:31
If Sisters of Battle means Codex: Witch Hunters, then that would get my vote. Otherwise, I'd say IG.

DarkMatter2
19-03-2009, 01:36
Imperial Guard. They don't have a background per se, except what you want to make up for them.

Really out of left field fluff for say, Space Marines or Eldar always seems forced and lame, but it makes sense for the IG which has millions of worlds.

They give you more freedom for development than any other race in the game.

Doppleskanger
19-03-2009, 01:53
Well I voted sisters, but would have gone Black Templars if it had been there (guess I love the religous fanatic angle!) Otherwise i do have a soft spot for the hopelessness of the IG Infantry man. Poor beggar.

CommissarKlink
19-03-2009, 02:14
I'm pretty sure most people will just choose their army, so the poll is flawed.

I don't see it that way. More like: most people will choose the army they honestly think has the best background, and they may very well own that army because the background appealed to them so much.

Mealstrom
19-03-2009, 02:19
I don't see it that way. More like: most people will choose the army they honestly think has the best background, and they may very well own that army because the background appealed to them so much.

Exactly, I voted for Eldar even though I am a Black Templars player :P

Filthy O'Bedlam
19-03-2009, 03:02
I, LIKE... Necrons

You're Not Alone, I love them too

samiens
19-03-2009, 03:03
Tau- as I think their way of life is the only one I could cope with in all of 40k, plus it allows a certain level of morality that I find hard to reconcile with other races

Valharik
19-03-2009, 03:15
Tau- as I think their way of life is the only one I could cope with in all of 40k, plus it allows a certain level of morality that I find hard to reconcile with other races

Prepare to be flamed! :D

But in some way youre right, in such a ****** place like the 41 millenium universe, a lobotomized existance is the best way to be completely happy, if not the only way.

Pooky
19-03-2009, 03:17
I play SM but I voted for Chaos.

I love the idea of being a tragic hero; the zeal in which they fight, the passion which they feel, the bitterness if they fail and the sudden realisation when they turn... Look at some of the tragic heros we have now, MacBeth, Anakin Skywalker, Arthus (from WoW III), and I'm sure there are others...

If I were to do a Chaos army it would be based on a character that finally gave into a flaw in their personality. If I were the character it the fatal flaw would either be
- giving into jealousy of someone better than me (probably my best friend for the added tragedy of the situation)
- rage/ disappointment/ shame at failing at something I was meant to do but failed
- not being content with the constraints given to me, i.e. bondage of service

ehlijen
19-03-2009, 03:25

I'm afraid I will need more info before I can answer. By backround, do you mean upper or lower back? Or actually the proverbial backside?

Most upper backround:
Necrons: those shoulder blade plates are pretty round.

Most lower backround:
I feel tempted to say marines, as they have that torso holding barrel thing going in that region.

Most proverbial backround:
I think I have to give it to the eldar guardians there.

Sorry, but that lack of 'g' forced me to do this :p

As to the original question: I don't think any race has truly better background than any other. Do I like some more? Yes (Tau and most Imperial things), but that's no indication of what is 'better' in absolute terms, nor do I feel like just picking one of them.

Starchild
19-03-2009, 05:15
Eldar background has the biggest potential, and its the most wasted too.

Sad but true, a veritable gold mine of Black Library fiction eclipsed by primitive mon-keigh stories. :eyebrows:

I'd say Dark Angels come in as a close second. For Space Marines, they have an interesting history, even if their army list doesn't currently live up to what they should be able to do.

However, I think the Sisters of Battle codex had the best Imperial back story in 2nd ed. It was the best thing Gav Thorpe ever wrote, IMO. Hopefully GW will reprint Gav's background in the next Inquisition/WH book.

Valharik
19-03-2009, 05:31
Indeed, The Inquisition stuff is undoubtely the best piece of current imperial background by FAR. Love the Sisters of Battle and the subtile differences between Inquisitors beliefs, and their modus operandi, sometimes working allied with aliens or heretics, sometimes chasing them, always about cross the line. If the best writer of BL (Abnett) wrote his best stories based on it, is for something...(also, he usually threat marines as the gullible arrogant dicks they really are, with several weakness...and kills them for their faults!)

Imperialis_Dominatus
19-03-2009, 06:13
I think all armies have the same potential to be awesome. It's just that some is better executed than others.

For example: Dark Eldar (or any Eldar). Most people don't even know what their background is (read: the recent thread about how they should be Chaos Eldar to avoid confusion).

Or Space Marines. They probably have the most volume of good fluff to their collective names, but as far as percentage of it being good, the fact that they're so prolific works against them. And the new SM Codex brought their average decent-to-crap fluff ration way down. ******** Ultramarines.

Or Necrons. Too over the top. Same with Nids. Otherwise cool.

Or Tau. Needs just a pinch MOAR GRIMDARK. No, I don't care if you have ideals. You're in a nasty, awful galaxy that will eat you alive in the most horrible fashion possible and roast your tiny little souls in the Warp if you continue to be so naive.

Hell, every army has wasted potential.

Overall my favorite is Space Marines.

LOL GOOD GUYS IN 40K!!!111!!1111!!9!!fish! /absolutely necessary response

Gen.Steiner
19-03-2009, 06:19

Heresy! Treason! Xenos-sympathy of the worst kind! Have that man shot, burnt, shot again, and then atomised!!

*ahem*

Obviously the Imperial Guard, as foremost defender of the Human race, has the best background to draw upon - humanity's 140,000 year plus history!

Dranthar
19-03-2009, 06:35
Pound for pound, it's gotta be Dark Eldar.

There are some exceptional pieces for most races, but not other army has the sheer concentration of great and intriguing background as the Dark Eldar. They don't have much, but what little you can find is excelent, particularly "The Torturers Tale" (which is arguably half of the current available DE background to start with). ;)

Even ignoring relative 'quality of background', the Dark Eldar are still arguably the most interesting. This is because they have chosen to be evil out of pure hedomism. They don't care about other's feelings or anything else, for that matter, aside from their own whims and desires. Thus their every action, from the regular slaughters to the stubborn refusal to cub their behaviours in the face of absolute annihilation (via a God they inadvertently created themselves) is borne out of a single mindset. That the only thing that's important in the universe is their own desires.

To me, that's far more interesting than a horde of rampaging monsters (tyranids), some unstoppable death-bots (Necrons) or in particular, a band of religous fanatics who still hold a grudge over some war 10 millenia ago (Chaos).

09Project
19-03-2009, 06:40

Brain washing an entire population... Nice =D

As for me Orks, they finally getting back to where they should have been background wise after being forgotten after 2nd edition badly.

Great fun, well thought out and... Squigs!!!!!!!!!!

Vaktathi
19-03-2009, 06:47
Personally, I'd have to go with the Imperial Guard and Chaos, which isn't surprising since that's what drew me into those armies.

Orks are a close runner up though, especially older background.

With Chaos, you have a huge plethora of background material and varied groups to choose from. You have raving lunatics, mutants, daemons from an alternate hell dimension, bitter traitors etc. The Legions are what really get me though. I just love their background, the idea of an ancient and dark enemy, born from humanities distant past as its once greatest protectors, driven by hatred and a need for vengeance in collusion with dark powers, willingly damning themselves, proving a dire threat time and again that cannot be ended or dismissed, constantly keeping the universe on its toes.

And as for the Imperial Guard, well...It's the Imperial Guard.

RichBlake
19-03-2009, 07:37
I voted IG but I'd have voted for the Inquisitorial armies too if I could.

The IG should clearly win, it has potnetially any number of background stories and has spawned such stories too. Look at Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt and Commissar Ciaphas Cain. There is no way you could get any more polar opposite to each other and yet both fit perfectly into the Guard, and thats only for one specific job!

Also there is the fact everyone can relate to Guard. No-one can relate to an 8ft tall super giant who can eat spinach without even taking it out of the can (irons good for the blood right?). However, a young adult male whos been conscripted into the Guard to fight wars he's never heard of, visit place's he's never imagined and never reutrn home, if he even survives?

I'm pretty sure most people will just choose their army, so the poll is flawed.

Thats a problem with the voters then, not the poll ;)

Blackmoor
19-03-2009, 08:04
Thousand Sons

onnotangu
19-03-2009, 08:21
Shouldn't this be in the background forum?

Hellfury
19-03-2009, 08:28
Currently, I would say necrons because they lack the ambiguity found in most other xeno codices like dark eldar, etc. due to GW's unwillingness to delve into that xeno frame of mind.
While I understand the reasons behind always telling a story from a human perspective, so that humans reading their fluff can better understand it, it shouldn't be assumed that their readers are idiots and that their readers cannot grasp a Xenos perspective.

Again, I vote necrons. It tells their story adequately from a third person perspective to at least attempt to explain not only the necrons hoary origins, but that of the rest of the 40k universe as well.

Lothlanathorian
19-03-2009, 09:29
I haven't read anyone else's post, but I will after I say my piece:

I voted Orks and anyone who didn't is silly and needs to be beaten about the head.

Seriously, I like most of the race's and their background, but the Orks, they're something special (that works on at least two levels lololol)

EDIT BITS FOR QUOTING AND STUFF:

I, LIKE... Necrons

You did not seriously say you like Necrons and then immediately call yourself a Pariah?! Do you realize how funny you are?

Griffin
19-03-2009, 10:11
Chaos in general and the Horus heresy is fun too.

Corruption in both body and soul, Freedom to do what you want, freedom for other to do onto you.

Acheron,Bringer of Terror
19-03-2009, 16:28
Pretty obvious that Chaos.

Mojaco
19-03-2009, 16:34
Thousand Sons and Eldar. I went for Eldar.

Orks have an unconvincing method of space travel, otherwise they'd be higher up my list too.

Desalbert
19-03-2009, 16:39
Exactly, I voted for Eldar even though I am a Black Templars player :P

I follow a similar logic. I'm an Imperial Guard player, and even though I picked them because I absolutely LOVE (adore, admire, worship) their fluff, I voted Tau, because, I still love aliens, their look, the semi-peacefulness, the propaganda, the athiest-quality of no warp knowledge.... the nationalism.

Essentially, I love and believe the Tau Fluff to be the best, despite my IG love, because they remind me of Russia or China-- and... I only don't play them because my best buddy sniped them first :p

But I am more than content to claim as my main motif, the sacrifice of thousands of men of the gain of 10 inches of dirt!

"Glory for the First man to die!"

(I also like Ork fluff too-- always have)

/endrant

Lord Damocles
19-03-2009, 17:10
You did not seriously say you like Necrons and then immediately call yourself a Pariah?! Do you realize how funny you are?
Yeah, it's hard work being this witty / sarcastic / awesome [delete as applicable] all the time :cool:

Messiahnide
19-03-2009, 17:19
I chose Eldar, I love the galaxy spanning empire that fell foul to decadence idea, and Orks second

Grazzy
19-03-2009, 17:20
I went for marines, but am now thinking eldar. They have some pretty cool stories and are a pretty cool idea.

Ubermensch Commander
19-03-2009, 17:32
All armies have their good bits of background and their bad overall I would vote for Eldar or Space Marines. I love the mythic feel of the Eldar's tales, especially with their Gods and their fight against Chaos, both within and without. Yeah, thanks for that whole "cosmic obscenity that is Slaanesh" thing guys. Jerks! haha.

Space Marines are just awesome for the most part. I may not like all the Chapters but over all it is good stuff. Especially the Horus Heresy. Although some of the Primarchs justifications for going Chaos are...well...stupid. Two dimensional or illogical perhaps would be more fair. Daddy did not buy you a pony for christmas so let the galaxy burn? Well, whatever floats your boat...or floatilla of warships...however the case may be. =)

Voted Eldar, probably would have voted Space Marines as well. And yes, I like the Ultramarines stories since the important bits are straight from the 2nd ed codex and no more ridiculous than any other codexes stories. Looking at you, Daemonic Slayer of Great Many Grey Knights bossmen or Ork flying through Space on a Bike or you Bjorn the fellhanded who did the same thing as the Ultramarines ancient yet no one gives him flak for it. =)

NearsightedFarseer
19-03-2009, 17:37
I voted eldar, because their fluff is galaxy spanning and epicly tragic.

weissengel86
19-03-2009, 18:30
My vote goes for the Inquisition. Except they're not up there so i didnt actually vote :). Love The Ordo Malleus. Which is why my first army I wanted above all else to be the Daemonhunters with the grey knights.

Seargent K
19-03-2009, 19:14
Sorry for forgeting Inquisition dudes..

Cythus
19-03-2009, 19:28
SM

they take a lot of flak but there is some real gems of background out there, the joint white scars/raven guard stroy was good and acceptance by GW the fact that SM chapters will die (crimson fists - well nearly - astral swords) removes my second biggist quam (spelt right?)

Wolflord Havoc
19-03-2009, 19:48
I voted Imperial Guard - once you Guard you never go back!!!

Basically I can just about relate to a Guardsman!

Of course I will laways hold a special place in both beating hearts for The Space Wolves!

But I couldn't vote for them.....

Seargent K
19-03-2009, 21:21
Ok dudes,poll closed.It 's a minor victory for the Imperial Guard,thanks for voting and posting. ;)
PS Forgive me for forgeting Inquisition forces.

K