PDA

View Full Version : Araby-Empire

w3rm
18-03-2009, 22:09
OK, this is kind of a dumb idea but I think it would be kind of cool. Could you proxy a Empire army as an arabyan one? I was thinking-

Captains/Generals- Sheiks

Camel Riders- IC Knights

Horse Raiders- Core Knights

Elephant- Stank, or Shiek Riding Elephant- WAlter

Cant think of ways to use warmachines. Anyone else got ideas?

slingersam
18-03-2009, 22:24
I was thinking of doing something like this to, but I
was going to proxy a different army, obviously it would
be mostly empire models but would use them as say
dark elves or high elves, maybe even lizardmen.
Wood elves would be good because of how they're
play style is, but Arabs have a very strong calvary,
and were able to fight in CC very well, with so so
shooting

mrtn
19-03-2009, 00:37
I think it would work good.

Cypher, the Emperor
19-03-2009, 03:07
Some advice for a Araby army

Watch The Four Feathers (the newer version, with Heath Ledger) and then read up about the Madhist War (on which the film is based) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahdist_War.

OK, so you don't HAVE to watch the movie, but its pretty inspirational as far as movie examples of Empire styled combat go.

Then look at http://www.perry-miniatures.com/index2.html
the perry miniatures for the time period (The Sudan - The Madhists)

You will find Arabian troops armed with Empire weapon equivalents for the most part, plus generals and all that jazz.

Then you can dip back and go add some Crusades era stuff for your heavy cavalry and all.

The problem with empire is that it exists pretty much in two time periods with weapons from both, so in order to assemble a counts-as army with the right weapons you need to get miniatures from different time periods. The war in the Sudan is a good place to grab models because you have Arabian style guys armed with Handguns and you have a wide variety of "arabians" to choose from (More tribal africans since its Sudan, and also more Middle Easterner looking fellows from Egypt). These guys have a style of dress that (if similarly painted) will blend in with other styles of "arabs" like say, Saracens and other Muslim armies from the Crusades.

I also suggest using Great Cannons and the like (but go the Steam Tank = Elephant route to avoid breaking cannon TOO much) just because a big *******' cannon or some such non-sense is exactly the kind of thing an over rich sheik-type would put in his army to terrify people.

Foegnasher
19-03-2009, 03:22
pegasus = flying carpet?

DoW Ogre conversions could be ***** awesome

slingersam
19-03-2009, 04:10
You guys know a sheik is a muslim priest, so they don't
ride elephants, and are not rich (, Kings are rich. Also the
people that ride elephants, are stupid Aladin) Persians and
Indonesain. Arabs ride camels, and ARABIAN Horses.

dannyfave
19-03-2009, 04:23
You guys know a sheik is a muslim priest, so they don't
ride elephants, and are not rich (, Kings are rich. Also the
people that ride elephants, are stupid Aladin) Persians and
Indonesain. Arabs ride camels, and ARABIAN Horses.

This seems to be a problem that a lot of people have whenever a new human race in warhammer is proposed by someone. You need to not look at it as a single race from the region and more as an amalgamation of the regions different races.

I have seen folks complaining about kislev because it contains real word types such as polish, russian and ukrainian. I say it is a fantasy game and who cares.

Honestly as far as the army goes, I would say use dark elf rules.

Khaeron Baoth
19-03-2009, 06:41
Are we talking about our world´s araby, or WH`s araby. If we talk about WH´s araby you should look at Warmaster´s Araby army list.

Cypher, the Emperor
19-03-2009, 06:43
Thats why I suggested the Perry Sudan ranges, because they have everything that people think of when you say "araby". Like guys in Fez AND guys in turbans, and horses/camels/elephants.

Thats whats fun about WH, otherwise Irish people might be a little offended at their portrayal in the game.

@Khaeron - I don't think calling the Mid-East "Araby" is politically correct anymore?

slingersam
19-03-2009, 06:53
lol araby is a language not a race. Arabs is a race.

darkace77450
19-03-2009, 08:47
OK, this is kind of a dumb idea but I think it would be kind of cool. Could you proxy a Empire army as an arabyan one? I was thinking-

It isn't a dumb idea.

BigRob
19-03-2009, 09:02
Have a search of the fantasy project logs archive. Last year there was a guy doing an Araby army with Perry miniatures and it looked fantastic. Very easy to use the rules for them as well.

Good luck.

Panzerkanzler
19-03-2009, 09:28
lol araby is a language not a race. Arabs is a race.

I'm very new to fantasy (like...3 weeks) but Araby is not a language neither in the WHFB lore, nor i real life. There is a country called Araby in the WHFB world I think, and the language in real life is called Arabic (at least on simple english.). If you were refering to the guy who was talking about the amalgamation of camels, elephants and whatnot, then he was refering to Araby as a region, not as race.

Lord Malorne
19-03-2009, 09:38
Fakirs as wizards.

slingersam
19-03-2009, 17:12
Araby is a language thats how you say Arabic in Arabic. Thats
what I thought everyone was saying, didn't know people were
actually talking about a province in WHB, my bad sorry.

Coram_Boy
19-03-2009, 18:31
Look at the Podhammer site, Jeff Carroll did this, it looks very nice, but for DoW. It's in his Flickr gallery (scroll down) I think.

rodmillard
19-03-2009, 19:51
I'm working on an araby force as a mix of Empire/DoW: the addition of dervishes (Duellists), a Genie (converted DoW Giant) and flying carpets (count-as Birdmen of Catrazza RoR) really makes the army stand out. I tend to stay away from the whackier imperial "technology", although I do fill out my special slots with pistoliers and a couple of cannon.