PDA

View Full Version : War of the Ring Infantry trays makes 40k hordes viable?

SabrX
18-03-2009, 23:06
There's no doubt that horde Ork Boyz is competitive and extremely hard to beat in any of the three missions. 180-190 models in 1500 points with 8KP and 6 scoring units are hard to beat.

However, a huge deterrent to playing horde armies is moving each model. Moving 188 models in one single turn takes a freakishly long time, which is why they are uncommon in tournaments with time restrictions.

But now that War of the Ring and introduced some nifty movement trays, much better suited then the conventional trays, do you think horde armies (Tyranids, IG, and Orks) will be more popular?

Bigbot
18-03-2009, 23:09
depends 40k often has the difficulty of multiple levels in the scenery.

Also due to the fact that combat works with the 2 inch range and the fact you have the orks so spread out, it would severely limit their CC capability.

Getting out of trucks within 2 inches would also be an issue

Overall: Can you do it, yeh go nuts, so long as you're not moving scenery in the process. Should you do it? Probably not if for no other reasons than the ones above

misterboff
18-03-2009, 23:10
It will make movement a lot easier, but will also mean more casualties against flamers and blast weapons. I plan to pick up some for my Grotz, but I'll probably do without for my Ork Boyz.

misterboff

Bodysnatcher
18-03-2009, 23:12
A player at the GT used them for his enormous guard army. Combined with close order drill balanced out ok.

ehlijen
19-03-2009, 01:49
There is no need to fill up each tray if you fear flamers and blasts. Leaving every second socket empty will still ease movement.

sigur
19-03-2009, 01:51
I don't really understand why would not be "viable" at the moment?

sydbridges
19-03-2009, 03:36
I imagine if you're at a game where there's a time limit for a player turn, having to move a hundred to two hundred orks could be a disadvantage.

Occulto
19-03-2009, 04:38
I imagine if you're at a game where there's a time limit for a player turn, having to move a hundred to two hundred orks could be a disadvantage.

Depends on the army.

An Ork army might have 100-200 models, but in reality at any one point some will be in transports, some will be in reserve, there'll be the casualties etc. Unless it's a completely footslogging army that's deployed from turn 1, it's pretty rare to have all the models on the table.

The one piece of advice that my regular Ork opponent (who does not fall foul to time limits) swears by is this: make sure you know what you're going to do by the time you have to start moving.

In a game with time limits, and using an army that can be slow to move, you can't afford to spend five minutes a turn thinking what you're going to do.

Jellicoe
19-03-2009, 10:00
could be handy for an apocalypse tyranid force, particularly if you are runing an endless swarm of 150+ gaunts - none of whom benefit from transport options

Crube
19-03-2009, 11:32
Some tournaments actually resrict the amount of models to get all the turns in. I'm thinking of the Latest Carnage tourney, where armies of over (i think) 120 models aren't permitted...

ReveredChaplainDrake
19-03-2009, 12:37
As a Tyranid horde player, using WotR movement trays for hordes won't work because it denies you the ability to pull freaky shenanigans with your hordes (i.e. the two interlocking squads covering each other). Besides, anybody with a Lash will tell you to move out of your movement trays anyway.

The real winners with the WotR movement trays are 40k Chaos Daemons. With creative use of the WotR trays, you could make a single 4x6 tray out of three WotR infantry trays, allowing a 40k Daemon army to be fielded in WHFB.