PDA

View Full Version : What is your take on Special Characters?

Baron Von Rotten
18-03-2009, 23:22
What is your take on Special Characters? Do you use them? Do you like to play against them?

Personally, I find that almost all of the SC are overpowered/underpriced. Even the supportive SC's are a little over the top. Especially, the most recent updated armies. Demons - Mask, Epidemius, VC - Mannfred, DE, etc.

In the future, I will probably not use another SC, they just seem to unbalance the game. However, I will always play against them. There is nothing more rewarding than killing a Special Character when you don't have one.

What do you guys think?

Aurellis
18-03-2009, 23:33
I only like playing Special Characters when I've known in advance that I would be fighting them. Some require prior knowledge to be able to deal with them in a balanced manner... Thorek, Teclis, Kroak...

Then again, some are highly balanced such as Lokhir Fellheart and The Mask whom I don't mind coming up against by surprise.

I think the area is pretty subjective and does require some common sense when fielding in a pick up and play environment

DarkTerror
18-03-2009, 23:45
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187892

Searching is your friend!

*This was only on page 3*

sulla
18-03-2009, 23:50
What is your take on Special Characters? Do you use them? Do you like to play against them?

Personally, I find that almost all of the SC are overpowered/underpriced. Even the supportive SC's are a little over the top. Especially, the most recent updated armies. Demons - Mask, Epidemius, VC - Mannfred, DE, etc.

So you think Shadowblade, konrad, Isabella andLokhir Fellheart are too powerful? Even Malus Darkblade only has a 3+ save. Other than skulltaker, all the hero level SC's seem fine to me. Other than kairos and Teclis, all the lord level SC's in the game seem fine too. I'd hardly call Malekith or Vlad overpowered.

But if you don't like facing the same guy all the time, how about a polite word to your opponent asking them to try out their own hero instead for a change?

Malice&Mizery
18-03-2009, 23:55
Using SC is fine by me. I use Archaon in 3k+ games.

The way I see it; it's your money and you can spend it on what you like :)

TeddyC
19-03-2009, 01:13
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187892

Searching is your friend!

*This was only on page 3*

Damn you got there first.... I was thinking 'surely its not THAT long ago since we had a good multi page thread on this exact subject'

W0lf
19-03-2009, 02:08
Banning SCs is silly.

Bloodthirsters are just as broken as any SC and im more scared of custom vamp lords then the SC ones, DE dont even have any broken SC.

Tbh id just as soon tell my opponent how many pts they must spend on core then i would tell them to not use SCs. I write my list, you write yours.

Then let the dancing begin ^^

Foegnasher
19-03-2009, 02:10
i think they are fun in special occasions, but mostly, they need to be opponents permission only. or at least let them knpow you are brining a gamebreaker.

just like when you lay out the rules for the game.

pitched battle
4 x 6 table
no special characters.

like so.

AlphaLegionMarine
19-03-2009, 02:41
If its in the book, you can bring it to play against me unless my opponent and I decide on certain things before the game: no magic, no lords, no sc, something like that.

Its not fair to Lord over someone elses army book.

Einholt
19-03-2009, 05:06
So you think Shadowblade, konrad, Isabella andLokhir Fellheart are too powerful? Even Malus Darkblade only has a 3+ save. Other than skulltaker, all the hero level SC's seem fine to me. Other than kairos and Teclis, all the lord level SC's in the game seem fine too. I'd hardly call Malekith or Vlad overpowered.

But if you don't like facing the same guy all the time, how about a polite word to your opponent asking them to try out their own hero instead for a change?

Yea but Thorek, Archaon, Karl on a Dragon, Masque are all either too good and can't be balanced by points or are underpriced.

Masque, Archaon = Underpriced
Thorek, Emperor (no hero slot Dragon) = Priceless and stupid.

I think SC have a place both game wise and business but they have for the most part been very poorly executed, either on the too good side or pretty bad side of things.

Most notably is the stupidity when book designers decide SC will be an armys primary option for a certain role. (Wulfrik to hunt Artillery/Gunlines)

Baron Von Rotten
19-03-2009, 22:29
I apologize if I offended this board, because a very similiar thread was just posted. I had no Idea.

I don't come to this site very often,( Gee, I wonder why?). I don't think that I have ever started a thread myself. I'll be sure not to do it again! So this was my first time. I am SORRY that I didn't know how to "search".......

Thanks to the people who actually took the time to answer my post. I really do appreciate it.

As for TeddyC and Dark Terror, If you are just going to berate me, because I don't know proper protocol, don't bother replying to my post. Pretty Simple.

That way you don't waste your time, or mine......

BTW, has any undead players fought against Harry the Hammer?

phoenixlaw
19-03-2009, 22:33
Someone got annoyed in a game locally as they tend to play no SC's. I brought Josef Bugman. I was shocked to see people get upset about me bringing him !

isidril93
19-03-2009, 22:35
dont really like them

great models though

Conotor
19-03-2009, 22:43
Why the hell didn't u include a poll!?!

Grimtuff
19-03-2009, 22:45
Why the hell didn't u include a poll!?!

Same reason he didn't do a search first perhaps....? :rolleyes:

Also, please don't use "txt speek" as it's against the rules and makes you incomprehensible to many people.

Malice&Mizery
19-03-2009, 22:47
What the hell is wrong with some people? That they would publicly get annoyed and cause a fuss over a game is just rediculous and they look worse than the player bringing the SC.

No one has a say in what you take in YOUR army list.

W A L 5 H Y
19-03-2009, 22:53
I dont mind people using them, but i much prefer having a game with two lords that have been made from scratch. Just makes the game more fun IMO

Some SCs are a little too powerfull, i just feel a cheap win if i was to use tyrion and 10 dragon princes.

But thats just me.

Kalec
20-03-2009, 04:25

You are utterly inept at judging whether or not something is "balanced" if you are going to call all the DE SCs overpowered. Mannfred isn't that much of an improvement over a pure caster lord, and costs plenty more without options for magic items except arcane items. Daemon SCs are, by and large, too good, I agree. So are their regular characters.

Overpowered non-daemon SCs: Thorek and Teclis. No, Karl isn't overpowered. Kurt isn't overpowered. Konrad isn't overpowered. Skrag isn't overpowered.

Einholt
20-03-2009, 05:29
No Karl is legit, but his free slot dragon is pretty stupid.

Orcboy_Phil
20-03-2009, 06:09
SC's add a nice flavour to the book. Some are over coasted, some are overcoasted and some are so cheap dor there abilities that GW is cutting its own throat. I use them every so often but normally so that I can make up points where I've got a short fall.

Nicha11
20-03-2009, 07:16
I am enjoying using sc's, and having them used against me.

Some are off course overpowered, but not to a higher degree then many other options in the game.

I believe the general hatred directed against them is a result of the over popularity of the over powered sc's.

When all you see is the likes of Thorek and Kairos you naturally assume that all sc's are overpowered.

If the only sc's you played against were Isabella and Settra i'm sure you would have a different opinion.