PDA

View Full Version : Beers i should try?

NaT
12-12-2005, 16:15
Althought i'm not new to the drinking scene, i am new to drinking beer. Having a few quiet ones with some mates over a BBQ or something isn't exactly the best time to bust out the JD shots ;).

Beers ive tasted so far:
Boag's St. George: Well, im currently drinking it. First bottle tasted nice, but the lemony after taste is starting to get to me...
Crownies: Love them. The after taste is amazing, reminds me of some kind of toasted nut.
Carlton Mid-Strength: My parents drink them, hence they are free. Can't complain really.
Strongbow: Not really a beer, but a bit too sweet for my tastes.

Anyway, ive finished my Boag's and i require a new drink, so im not going to keep listing what i like and why. Instead you are going to tell me what YOU like and why. And i am going to try my best to check them out! (please don't list things that i am never going to be able to find in australia :( )

Tenoch
12-12-2005, 16:23
Guinness - like a meal in a can
Budvar (sp) - best. lager. ever. although availaility in aus is doubtable, it's hard enough to get reliably in the uk

Prince_Tyrion
12-12-2005, 16:23
Try Magners as far as Cider goes, it's not sweet; it's TEH WIN!!!!

Warsteiner, Cobra, Orangeboom, Miller all good too.

EDIT: Forgot Hoegarden!

C. Langana
12-12-2005, 16:26
All of them :)
Except tennants. Bleh.
Budvar: Nectar of the Gods.
Try Baltika, flipping rare in the UK, but amazing stuff.
Courage: I remember nothing of several nights after saying 'I'll have another courage' but I'm always covered in the most interesting stains the next morning.

Flame
12-12-2005, 16:27
Heineken, all the way.
Or failing that, grolsch or kronenbourg.

TK421
All of them :)
Except tennants. Bleh.

Beat me to it :p

Wez
Grolsch
Guinness (more of an aquired taste I think)
Fosters (I know it's ****, but at least they don't make any false pretences about that: "The amber nextar":wtf: )

-Wez

Crube
12-12-2005, 16:29
Bit of a long shot as you're in Oz, but I believe they do them by Mail order...

anything from the Tirril Brewery (http://www.tirrilbrewery.co.uk/) They're a small independant brewery in the lake District, with some gorgeous beers (not lagers..)

May be worth investing if you're feeling flush / adventurous...

Yorkiebar
12-12-2005, 16:31
*Drools over the thought of a cold pint of Guiness*

Apart from that, I recommend Super Bock Green, only available in Portugal. Mmm...

NaT
12-12-2005, 16:33
Keep them comming guys, im making a list. Hopefully ill remember where this list is when im not ~10 beers worse for wear ;)

C. Langana
12-12-2005, 16:40
If you ever get a Baltika you need to freeze a pint glass first or its just not the same.
Skullsplitter ale. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

I was once told of this bizarre beer of 14%, I cannot remember where this came from, what it is, but I want some. Please tell me Warseer.

Melchor
12-12-2005, 16:57
Heineken

Blegh! ;)

Try Hertog Jan. It's dutch, and it's the best! :cool:

thommo
12-12-2005, 17:00
Try some Hoegarden...or any Belgian blonde beers - not as gassy as "normal" lager and a very sweet taste.

A continental gentlemans choice :)

Melchor
12-12-2005, 17:02
I second the Hoegaarden...
Blonde beers of any kind (or white beers as we call them here) are very tasty indeed.

Yog Sogoth
12-12-2005, 17:05
I know of a beer called The Reverend thats about 14%. I have no idea if its any good or how hard it is to get but I want some!

Anthalas
12-12-2005, 17:29
For ciders, try Stowford Press or Black Rat. Neither is as sweet as Strongbow.

I'm not much of a beer drinker.

samael
12-12-2005, 17:45
For quick but quality refreshment: Hoegaarden
For a good night in an unnamed hotel bar: Guinness
Good for parties: Grolsch, Hertog Jan

For the very best Beer in the world: Westvleteren 12, no contest.

Oh and Heineken should not be present in any thread concerning GOOD beers/pilsners.

Arnizipal
12-12-2005, 17:55
For quick but quality refreshment: Hoegaarden
For a good night in an unnamed hotel bar: Guinness
Good for parties: Grolsch, Hertog Jan

For the very best Beer in the world: Westvleteren 12, no contest.

Oh and Heineken should not be present in any thread concerning GOOD beers/pilsners.
Scratch up another one for Hoegaarden. One of our finest beers. :)
It has a quite distinctive taste though, so it might require getting used to.

Westvleteren (http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/index2.html) is nice if you can get it, but it's one of the rarest beers in the world as it's still brewed exclusivly by monks.

How about some nice Duvel? (http://www.de-appel.nl/images/Duvel_glasfles.gif) A very nice (if somewhat heavy) blonde beer.

EDIT: Nice to see you again Anthalas. Now join the Guild and return to the Wastes :D

Ludo
12-12-2005, 18:05
Take it from an Irishman, Guinness, Smithwicks and Stella. Just don't mix them all in the same session. Trust me, you will not like the side affects. No-one does.

C. Langana
12-12-2005, 18:17
I can't believe I missed out the Mighty stella. Shame on me, nothing says curry and a fight like a case of Stella.

Verergoca
12-12-2005, 18:32
Blegh! ;)

Quoted for truth.

Also, see if you can get your hands on some Pauwel Kwak, or one of the differing Chimey's :)

Belgian beers = teh bomb

MacB
12-12-2005, 19:05
Smithwicks
definetly!

As for Belgian Beer, try Grimbergen dubbel (not the blonde or the triple!)

-Ed
12-12-2005, 19:18
Tui = cheapwin.

Prince_Tyrion
12-12-2005, 20:51
Stella doesn't really count, due to the fact it can be filth sometimes, however I do hold 'Wifebeater' quite close to my heart.

Adlan
12-12-2005, 21:25
I recommend going and drinking these beers in their local areas. Otherwise you just don't get the best out of them.

When I'm in Ireland I drink Guninness or a local stout. When I'm here in norfolk I drink Local cider (Sweeter than other ciders, made from dessert apples rather than cider apples.). Or Wherry Ale, which is good.

Adnams is nice.

But Drink Local, much nicer. go on a world wide pub crawl.

Rik Valdis
12-12-2005, 21:29
Wherry Ale, which is good.

I'll second that, was a guest ale at my local a while ago (I think- I know I've had it somewhere...). I'll also second the rest of Adlan's post, a good local ale is (almost) always a better idea than a commercial lager.

McMullet
12-12-2005, 22:29
I'll second that, was a guest ale at my local a while ago (I think- I know I've had it somewhere...). I'll also second the rest of Adlan's post, a good local ale is (almost) always a better idea than a commercial lager.
Amen to that.

The response to the question, "What beers should I try?" is, "Ideally, all of them." However, this isn't always prctical. You probably can't get most of the decent pommie ales, as the stuff we export is probably as bad as the stuff that gets sent over here from Oz. ;)

If you have the chance, I recommend Old Speckled Hen, it being one of my most favouritist brews, widely available (comparatively) and likely to appeal to most palates (unlike, say Hobgoblin, which is also nice, but a little like drinking tar).

Kittah
12-12-2005, 22:53
How about some nice Duvel? (http://www.de-appel.nl/images/Duvel_glasfles.gif) A very nice (if somewhat heavy) blonde beer.

You have excellent taste, sir. While it is particularly heavy I find its pretty much unparalleled by anything else I've had.

Other beers that I particularly enjoy are Amstel and quite recently I'm developing a taste for Heineken, though New Zealand Heineken doesn't seem to compare to Holland-imported Heineken.

He Who Laughs
12-12-2005, 22:57
Ahh, beer - my favourite hobby.

Okay, well I'm glad you're an Aussie, cause it'll make finding these beers easier:

For arvos at the local pub with your mates, try Carlton Draught (that Carlton Midstrength you Westralians lot drink is okay, but the full-strength Draught is better). It tastes better than Tooheys New and VB. If you have a hankering for darker beers - try Tooheys Old or Carlton Black, both should be on tap at your local. Tasmin Bitter is also pretty good, and I know its readily availble in Perth.

If you want something fancier, but also normally available on tap - go for anything Coopers (normally Pale Ale or Sparkling Ale) - these are both great beers.
Don't be put off by the sediment in the bottom, it's the way they brew them - and unlike nomal commercial beers, they actually get better with age and don't go off eventually (normally only applicable if you've bought yourself a slab and forget to drink it - in which case you're not Aussie and should report yourself to Immigration ;) ). They also do a range of really heavy stouts (dark beers) and ales, which are truly wonderful but not for the faint hearted.

If youve tried all those and want something really schmick and expensive (to impress chicks in Subiaco), try and get hold of some of the Cascade Premium range - or better still, the Cascade Seasonals. This Taswegian mob make short-run batches for each Season (blondes in summer, ales in autumn, stouts in winter etc) and damn do they taste good. And although nothing special, Carlton Empire beer is a good alternative to Extra Dry (which grates on the tastebuds after a while) or Carlton Premium Dry (not a bad drop either).

If you can get hold of them, there are many amazing micro-brewery beers in Australia. Beez Neez is a nice subtle honey-blend beer, Blue Tongue Lager is a very, very smooth lager that even Cruiser drinking chicks will enjoy.

Little Creatures Pale Ale is a very interesting and flowery beer (tastes like you've gone tits up into a rose garden with your mouth wide open), I'm not too sure on it but seeing as though the brewery is just round the corner in Freo (on the docks), check it out for yourself. Also, if you're up near... err... near where the Belview/Belmore(?) Amphithetre is, near the wineries - check our Feral Brewing Co. - they make some interesting cross-over beers (strawberry blondes, coffee stouts etc)

Although Westralians seem to love it, avoid Redback Bitter - the hops they use are a bit weird, I'm not a fan if the taste.

NaT, your lucky to be in the country that makes the best beer in the world. Enjoy it.

P.S - And despite what it says on the bottle, Budweiser is not the King of Beers.

Verergoca
12-12-2005, 23:04
Other beers that I particularly enjoy are Amstel and quite recently I'm developing a taste for Heineken, though New Zealand Heineken doesn't seem to compare to Holland-imported Heineken.

Heineken is pure and utter cat-pee... The export thing is sweetend beyond belief, to give foreighners the impression that "the dutch" know how to brew beer... Believe me, the people that know how to brew, do not work for Heineken...

thunderwolf
12-12-2005, 23:08
Real ale all the way! If you're ever in Edinburgh, go to the farmers' market and pick up some stuff from the Traquair House brewery (http://www.traquair.co.uk/brewery.html). (Alternatively, I'm pretty sure you can visit the brewery if you're in the Borders.) Quality stuff, though not much use I suppose unless you ever make it this far!

Northern Ireland: you probably wouldn't feel complete unless you tried Guinness and the other assorted Irish stuff. Though not exactly beer, I can recommend the water of life from the Bushmills Distillery (http://www.bushmills.com/). Better than the Scottish stuff any day ;)

mfv
12-12-2005, 23:33
Ok Lets Get To It
Land Of The Free Home O`da Brave(USA Baby)
Sam Adams:justcheck the web sight sooo many(ok like 18) tochoose and
all are grrr8.
YUINGLING:JUST ADAM GOOD LAGER!
BROOKLIN BREWERY:any thing these guys make is GOLD!
Now I`m ashamed toadmit but yes the country that I love is toblam
for that urine called budwiser acrime far worse than thatwhole
IRAQ thing now lets never talk of(OR DRINK) it again.
OH CANADA OH CANADA WHY CAN`T YOU MAKE GOOD BEER?
well ok one MAUDITE and most of the stuff from UNIBROUE BREWERY
see I gave ya gay marige allowin pot smokin hippies some love:evilgrin:
DENMARK:CERES is my fave.
FINLAND:even though your gov.seems to H8 alcohol(wow 30 years of prohibition that sucks) now theyve started to make up for it,and if y ask me
you should try SINEBRYCHOFF PORTER STRONG andBITTER.

cpl_hicks
12-12-2005, 23:35
REAL ALE ALL THE WAY

wifebeater is total and utter ****

GOOD BEERS

Spitfire (http://www.spitfireale.co.uk/) (dont mention the war)
Bishops finger (http://www.shepherd-neame.co.uk/beers/index.php?bishops_finger)
Theakstons Old Peculier (http://www.theakstons.co.uk/LA/OldPeculier.htm)
Newcastle Brown Ale (http://www.newcastlebrown.com/)
Crag rat (http://www.jenningsbrewery.co.uk/crag_rat.htm)(only found it in the lake district local variety)
Guinness

any thing by

Shepherd Neame (http://www.shepherd-neame.co.uk/)
or
Theakstons (http://www.theakstons.co.uk/Theak_HOME.htm)

the best british beers are actually called ale's and have really stupid names
and they can mostly be found in oldworldy british pubs

Arnizipal
12-12-2005, 23:53
You have excellent taste, sir. While it is particularly heavy I find its pretty much unparalleled by anything else I've had.

Why thank you.
Duvel is one of those beers that makes me proud to be Belgian. :)

Fun fact: Duvel is Dutch dialect for devil and the brewery's name (Moortgat) means murderhole. :p

mfv
12-12-2005, 23:57
AH UK MY BABY MOMA(dont ask):
BALLARDS 'DIVINE' is just that
CRIPPLE DICK (WELL IT WASN`T)see above.
DOGS ******** hey its sweeeeeet (the beer ya sickos)
IMPERIAL STOUT wow dam tasty.
OLD NICK
OLD THUMPER
SUMMER LIGHTNING
AND MY FAVE ANY ST.PETER`S
IRELAND:no potatoflavered beeryet huh?
GUINNESS DUH!
BLACK DOUGLAS
Oh **** it any IRISH OR GERMAN BEERS! what no sour kraut flavored beer!HA
but the FRANZISKANER HEFE WEISS IS THE ****!:D
REINHEITSGEBOT= GOOD BEERya gotta love it astandard of brewing fromthe15th century;)

Tyra_Nid
13-12-2005, 00:12
HOEGAARDEN.

Best. Beer. Ever.
Although difficult to obtain in Australia. Only place Ive found it out my way is Dan Murphy's, although a couple of bars have it closer in to the city.
Another 'bottled' beer that I like is Boags Strongarm. Nice, full flavour.

As for drinking whilst out, Guiness is my preference if the place has it, although not as many places have it that should.

Ack, never VB though if i can possibly help it :disgusted:

NaT
13-12-2005, 00:17
Man, half the things you guys suggested are like super rare imports that cost $8 a schooner.

He Who Laughs, i've had pretty much all of those beers, i just wasn't in the state to remember them ;). Also i used to be in the frame of mind that beer is beer is beer is beer, but now i find that i can enjoy the subtle flavor differances i'm going to have to try them all again.

(this list is really god damn long now)

cpl_hicks
13-12-2005, 00:24
Also i used to be in the frame of mind that beer is beer is beer is beer, but now i find that i can enjoy the subtle flavor differances i'm going to have to try them all again.

Varieties of beer
Main article: Beer style
There are many different types of beer, each of which is said to belong to a particular style. A beer's style is a label that describes the overall flavour and often the origin of a beer, according to a system that has evolved by trial and error over many centuries.

A major component of determining the type of beer is the yeast used in the fermentation process. Most beer styles fall into one of two large families: ale, using top-fermenting yeast, or lager, using bottom-fermenting yeast. Beers that blend the characteristics of ales and lagers are referred to as hybrids. Alcoholic beverages made from the fermentation of sugars derived from non-grain sources are generally not called "beer," despite being produced by the same yeast-based biochemical reaction. Fermented honey is called mead, fermented apple juice is called cider, fermented pear juice is called perry, and fermented grape juice is called wine

[edit]
Ale
Main article: Ale
An ale is any beer that is brewed using only top-fermenting yeasts, and is typically fermented at higher temperatures than lager beer (1523C, 6075F). Ale yeasts at these temperatures produce significant amounts of esters and other secondary flavor and aroma products, and the result is a flavourful beer with a slightly "flowery" or "fruity" aroma resembling but not limited to apple, pear, pineapple, grass, hay, banana, plum or prune. Stylistic differences among ales are more varied than those found among lagers, and many ale styles are difficult to categorize.

[edit]
Lager
Main article: Lager
Lagers are the most commonly-consumed category of beer in the world. They are of Central European origin, taking their name from the German lagern ("to store"). Lager yeast is a bottom-fermenting yeast, and typically undergoes primary fermentation at 7-12C (45-55F) (the "fermentation phase"), and then is given a long secondary fermentation at 0-4C (30-40F) (the "lagering phase"). During the secondary stage, the lager clears and mellows. The cooler conditions also inhibit the natural production of esters and other byproducts, resulting in a "crisper" tasting beer.

Modern methods of producing lager were pioneered by Gabriel Sedlmayr the Younger, who perfected dark brown lagers at the Spaten Brewery in Bavaria, and Anton Dreher, who began brewing a lager, probably of amber-red color, in Vienna in 18401841. With modern improved fermentation control, most lager breweries use only short periods of cold storage, typically 13 weeks.

Most of today's lager is based on the Pilsner style, pioneered in 1842 in the town of Plzeň, in the Czech Republic. The modern Pilsner lager is light in colour and high in carbonation, with a strong hop flavour and an alcohol content of 36% by volume. The Pilsner Urquell or Heineken brands of beer are typical examples of pilsner beer.

[edit]
Spontaneous fermentation
Main article: Lambic
These are beers which use wild yeasts, rather than cultivated ones. All beer before the cultivation of yeast in the 19th century were closer to this style, characterised by their sour flavours.

[edit]
Hybrid beers
Hybrid or mixed style beers use modern techniques and materials instead of, or in addition to, traditional aspects of brewing. Although there is some variation among sources, mixed beers generally fall into the following categories:

Fruit beers and vegetable beers are mixed with some kind of fermentable fruit or vegetable adjunct during the fermentation process, providing obvious yet harmonious qualities.
Herb and spiced beers add herbs or spices derived from roots, seeds, fruits, vegetables or flowers instead of, or in addition to hops.
Wood-aged beers are any traditional or experimental beer that has been aged in a wooden barrel or have been in contact with wood (in the form of chips, cubes or "beans") for a period of time (Oak is the most common). Oftentimes, the barrel or wood will be treated first with some variety of spirit or other alcoholic beverage--usage of bourbon, scotch and sherry are common.
Smoked beers are any beer whose malt has been smoked. A smoky aroma and flavour is usually present. The most traditional examples of this style are the Rauchbiers of Bamberg, Germany. However, many brewers outside of Germany--most notably American craft brewers--have been adding smoked malt to porters, Scotch ale and a variety of other styles.
Specialty beers are a catch-all category used to describe any beers brewed using unusual fermentable sugars, grains and starches.

Beer article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beer)

types of beer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Types_of_beer)

Ophidicus
13-12-2005, 00:29
Anything from the Kelham Island Brewery in Sheffield. Course you're a bit sucked if you live in Australia, but then you are on the other side of the world :p Kelham beer wins awards all the time, especially Pale Rider, to which thou shalt bow. Course if you bow to it too much, you bow somewhere else, and at 5.2% that's not hard. I used to work at the pub whose gaffer owns the KIB, the Fat Cat, which is most definitely worth a visit if you're in Sheff.

Kohhna
13-12-2005, 00:31
As long as it isn't Harp......

mfv
13-12-2005, 00:32
AH YES DUVEL good stuff ,and yougot hoegaarden,youknow come to think of it every beer Ive had from BELGIUM has been above parexcept
that PARANOIA crap.
SCOTLAND: SKULL SPLITTER THE BEST
CZECH REPUBLIC: BUDWEISER BUDVAR THE REAL DEAL
PILSNER URQUELL,REBEL.if you like bitter beer go CZECH.
AUSTRALIA: THOMAS COOPER`S,DB BITTER,MAKO`S a good light.
AFRICA: The only one Ive had is TUSKER from KENYA I think?
SINGAPORE: TIGER sweet and flower its not a light beer but it goes down like1
JAMAICA(POT)OH DRAGON STOUT ,RED STRIPE SUCKS!
MEXICO:DOS EQUIS THE only good mexican beer(invented by AUSTRIAN immigrants) sothat is the short list of my fave beers.Hope it helped
OH and remember drinking and driving is one thing but drinking and knockin up
a crazy British chick is some thing you could regret for the next 19 years.:cries:

Alco Engineer
13-12-2005, 00:50
I know how you feel NaT, any imports are hard to get around Aus (well they're expensive anyway)

If you want something semi-premium I like Becks. It's nice, easy to drink, but I never pay more than $42 per carton.

For arvos at the local pub with your mates, try Carlton Draught (that Carlton Midstrength you Westralians lot drink is okay, but the full-strength Draught is better). It tastes better than Tooheys New and VB. If you have a hankering for darker beers - try Tooheys Old or Carlton Black, both should be on tap at your local. Tasmin Bitter is also pretty good, and I know its readily availble in Perth.
All pretty good advice from He Who Laughs. Definately go the Carlton Draught over the mid-strength, similar beer but midstrength is for girls, fairys and designated drivers.

Tooheys Old (if you can get it over there, its hard to get down here in SA) is good mixed 50/50 with Tooheys new. Makes an interesting change.

If you want something fancier, but also normally available on tap - go for anything Coopers (normally Pale Ale or Sparkling Ale) - these are both great beers.
Don't be put off by the sediment in the bottom, it's the way they brew them - and unlike nomal commercial beers, they actually get better with age and don't go off eventually (normally only applicable if you've bought yourself a slab and forget to drink it - in which case you're not Aussie and should report yourself to Immigration ;) ). They also do a range of really heavy stouts (dark beers) and ales, which are truly wonderful but not for the faint hearted.
Coopers are a real man's drink. My pick is the sparkling Ale (it's slightly more expensive but has the higher alc content) normally about $42 a carton down here. Also look for the Coopers heritage ale. It's a bit of a premium beer (it's even hard to find in the state of Coopers!) but its very smooth and tastes damn good. Pale Ale goes down way too easy for my liking (mainly because I find myself drinking too much of it!) It tastes good and the method of drinking it is to upturn the bottle before opening it. that makes the beer go "pale" and means you don't have to take in all the nurtients in the bottom all in the final mouth full ;) . Also look for Dr Tim's Ale. It comes in a can and is a similar style to the pale ale. Tends to be the drink of choice in the Barossa (well the beer of choice anyway:D).

There's also in the dark range on top of the extra stout and Dark Ales, you can get a pre-aged stout (12month IIRC) that will make your toes curl with excitement.

Steer clear of the West End Draught tho. It's the same as you Carlton draught but just not as good. Southwark have some nice beers tho, but IMO, not in the same class as the Coopers.

If youve tried all those and want something really schmick and expensive (to impress chicks in Subiaco), try and get hold of some of the Cascade Premium range - or better still, the Cascade Seasonals. This Taswegian mob make short-run batches for each Season (blondes in summer, ales in autumn, stouts in winter etc) and damn do they taste good. And although nothing special, Carlton Empire beer is a good alternative to Extra Dry (which grates on the tastebuds after a while) or Carlton Premium Dry (not a bad drop either).

I'm not much of an extra dry fan. It's more like the training wheels of beer IMO for people getting used to the taste of beer. Don't get me wrong, I'll enjoy it if its free but I won't spend my own money on it.

The Cascades 4 seasons are lip smacking good. I've had the spring and the autumn and they were two of the best beers I've had in my life! unfortunately at $70 odd a carton, they're not in my regular rotation.

If you can get hold of them, there are many amazing micro-brewery beers in Australia. Beez Neez is a nice subtle honey-blend beer, Blue Tongue Lager is a very, very smooth lager that even Cruiser drinking chicks will enjoy.

I've had Beez Neez on several occasions, good for 1 or 2 but after that they get a bit sickly. Fine for starters (or just before dessert to get your taste buds warmed up) but I wouldn't drink too many.

The final thing I want to ask is do you like fortified wines? I find they're a great way to cap a night off. Stick with your well known brands like Penfolds Club (Gradfather if you can afford it), Hardy's and Peter Lehmann make good Ports too. If you like Muscat, you can't go past the old brown cap Seppelt Muskat.

Good luck and may you be blessed with many slight hangovers.

P.S. Another Good thing about Coopers is bacause they are brewed naturally they give very little hangovers. Especially when compared to Beers like Tooheys Red!

Kittah
13-12-2005, 00:55
Why thank you.
Duvel is one of those beers that makes me proud to be Belgian. :)

Fun fact: Duvel is Dutch dialect for devil and the brewery's name (Moortgat) means murderhole. :p

And indeed, you should be very proud sir. Here in Auckland we have the 'Belgian Beer Cafes' - De Post, The Occidental, De Fontein and The Ponsonby. I've only ever been to The Occidental, but I intend to make trips there at least twice a week while I'm at University in the city next year. There's nothing like a Duvel on a hot day with a bowl of frites and mayonnaise.

I want some now, but I'll be contented with my Amstel Light in front of the computer :)

Alco Engineer
13-12-2005, 01:12
I guess the other point of veiw we should consider is light beers (for those that have to drive home)

I must say I'm a big fan of Coopers Light (Big surpirse there!!) I hadn't seen it before moving to SA but its a top drop.

Cascade premium lights not bad either. Probably my preference if Coopers is unavailiable.

Hahn Premium light. Well it has funny ads, but it leaves a mess in the bowl the next morning. I still drink it tho.

Tooheys Blue pretty average really. It's ok but the premium lights are better.

Stirling. Not bad. I've turned off it lately. It seems like its trying to be more than it is (i.e. a light beer ;) )

That's about all the lights I'll usually drink.

C. Langana
13-12-2005, 01:36
Another randomly nice ale is Badger Ale, fine fine beer, really nutty I can't drink lots of it but in small doses (say with a steak and ale pie, roast potatoes and a belch that blows out windows) its ace.

Kittah
13-12-2005, 02:15
I guess the other point of veiw we should consider is light beers (for those that have to drive home)

Amstel Light. 'Nuff said.

He Who Laughs
13-12-2005, 02:21
Well NaT, you've got a pretty comprehensive list so you know what to drink when you go overseas. Unfortunately, as you've already guessed - you can't get 90% of them down under - I think out of five whole pages of excited poms, scots, irishmen, dutch and the odd seppo getting barred up over their favourite local beers, (and rightly so, you guys make a good drop) I've only ever seen about 4-5 of them in Australia.

Alco speaks the truth. Carlton Draught, Coopers Pale/Sparkling Ale, Tooheys Old should be your staple beers. Try Extra Dry again, but if your going to drink that style of beer often - stick to Premium Dry or Empire. Even though everyone from the British Isles raves on about Guiness (rumour has it many British Isle mothers feed their newborns with Guiness) - and it is an amazing beer - if your're only just starting out on your newfound beer adventure, stick with the lighter stuff and move up to it. Otherwise you'll probably be put off. Unless you're one of those Aussies that puts Vegemite on their Weetbix for breakfast.

P.S - Alco, did you realise the the Cascade 4 Seasons are different every year? So go back and find this years summer beer and try it! I was stoked when I worked that out!

Alco Engineer
13-12-2005, 02:38
P.S - Alco, did you realise the the Cascade 4 Seasons are different every year? So go back and find this years summer beer and try it! I was stoked when I worked that out!

Sweet! no I did not realise that! Pity its so bloody expensive. I might have to go hunt some out somewhere.

P.S. You'll get to try some Dr Tim's on the 28th cos I'm bring up a case of that and a case of sparkling for the party so we can have some South Aussie beer.:evilgrin:

Jonathan =I=
13-12-2005, 02:52
NAt your very lucky to live in Perth as you have an ample supply of one the Best beers in Australia Little Creature pale ale (It got voted as one of the best I’m not jut making it up). Little Creature pale ale and Beez Neez are my two main beer staples with Beez Neez making it onto the top of my list. The slight honey aftertaste is very nice at the start but fades after the first six or so. If you pop into the flying Scotsman across the road from Planet Video they have both beers on tap as well as many others (one of the widest selections around and some great food).

But I do agree with all the Europeans that Duvel is a quality beer and I always buy a bottle when I see it.
Im also a fan of Tooheys Old for somthing a little more common.

Delicious Soy
13-12-2005, 04:19
Lowenbrau isn't too bad, although you can only get the draught in stores, their Dunkel dark beer kicks all kinds of ass, though that maybe because I was in their bar in the Rocks and was drinking it by the litre. :p

m1s1n
13-12-2005, 05:03
Not that I expect very many people outside of the US to know it--but does anyone drink stuff by Rogue Brewaries or Deschutes Brewaries?

devolutionary
13-12-2005, 05:11
I have to slip Bravara in to the mix. It's Brazillian, and pretty much my prefered drink. Ranks in at prices similar to Stella over in NZ, and I imagine you'll be able to find it in OZ without too much issue. It's a lager and very clean. You can taste it, it's not water, but it is a bit more subtle. Bloody good when ice cold, it's a beer you can drink with ease.

He Who Laughs
13-12-2005, 08:53
Lowenbrau isn't too bad, although you can only get the draught in stores, their Dunkel dark beer kicks all kinds of ass, though that maybe because I was in their bar in the Rocks and was drinking it by the litre. :p

The Uber Bar!! That place rocks (no pun intended) - if a little small. And I agree with you on the Dunkel - though I could only afford a pint of it at the time.

redemptionist15
13-12-2005, 10:04
I also put one up for Hoegaarden it is a rather fantastic beer.

cpl_Hicks list of real ale i also agree with and will add to it White Wyche which is rather good. I also enjoy Special Brew and Gold Label both very nice extra strong beers.

Xisor
13-12-2005, 10:30
Deuchar's IPA. Lovely. http://www.caledonian-brewery.co.uk/acatalog/Beers.html

Batemans XXXB. Lovely. http://www.bateman.co.uk/Beers/btxxxb.htm

I shouldn't imagine they're easy to get in Australia, best order a crate or two of each. Expensive, probably, worth it: definately.

Xisor

berzerka
13-12-2005, 10:59
Im glad to see that some english people like grolsch. does suprise me however because the only really known beer from the neterlands is heineken. Myself, Im sold to grolsch.(Right now im 100m from the brewery where is comes from :D) if you like grolsch you should also try warsteiner.

Crube
13-12-2005, 12:05
Grolsch is very nice. When i was in Germany a couple of week s ago, it was the only beer available on the ship (hey it was a Dutch ship)

As for Stella - Its the only beer that makes me physically sick...or gives me a hangover...strange that...

nikolai7
13-12-2005, 12:22
Well, I presume ales are being included in this list.. so stella, guiness are the obvious favouites and widely available, budvar.. wonderful if you can find it.. but also bombadier, newcastle brown ale, london pride, spitfire. And for any one who live near swindon.. the archers ale is pretty damn good aswell

talos935
13-12-2005, 16:37
Oz Fosters and Castlemain XXXX is suposed to be good. Remeber beer doen't travel well or may be brewed in Oz and thus different Fosters and XXXX is a prime example (uk brew of them is like ****). Newcastle Brown Ale is good if ya can get it. Tusker is supposed to be good too

WLBjork
13-12-2005, 18:03
Surprised not to see Dragonheart or Waggle Dance mentioned.

As stated, if you ever come to England, the best way to choose your beer is to visit a supermarket, find the bottles and find the unusual names. They have a tendedncy to be extremely good.

Now we can get proper Guiness, from Dublin, it's far better than it used to be :D.

Opus T. Penguin
14-12-2005, 03:47
Yeah, I don't know what you can get down there. Some good stuff not mentioned:

Spaten Oktoberfest (Germany)
Beamish (Britain)
Kostritzer (Germany) -- a black lager
Bohemia (Mexican -- the brewery was founded by German immigrants as are many of the good Mexican brews).
Old Foghorn (12 percent+ alcohol -- USA).
Caffrey's Irish Ale (which you can't find in the states any more in the keg :( )
Samischlaus (another high alcohol beer -- German)

And unlike some I happen to not mind Harp -- there are far worse beers in the world.

But yes, Hoegaarden, Budvar (which thank the gods we can now get in the states) and Warsteiner are quite good, as is fresh Pilsner Urquel (but I've had a couple of baaaad batches -- be careful)

Lindeman's Lambics (Belgian) are an interesting diversion -- tastes like a flavored soft drink, but they are *really* good if you're in the right mood :p

Samoth
14-12-2005, 13:42
Having recently turned the magic age (18) and not dabbled much with beer, this thread is darn useful. From my limited experience and older friends wisdom: Becks, Stella's, and almost anything from belgium. One particular friend wouldn't stop raving.

Oh, and avoid VB and XXXX in any incantation. Unless you've smoked a pack a day for the last 40 years and lack any sense of taste or smell. The price tag is alluring... And that's it. Meanwhile, can any Bris vegas citizens reccomend good pubs? People always ask me where to go, like I'd know or something.

Crube
14-12-2005, 13:45
Actually a really nice lager (and dont hurt me for this) is Aldi's own brand...

Its eally cheap (about 8 for 24 cans) but is normal strength (about 4.5%) and tastes really cool and crisp.

It's won a couple of awards too (Good Housekeeping / Food retailer monthly kinda thing)

BlazeXI
14-12-2005, 13:46
Polish: Zywiec, Tyskie,Zubr
Czech: Radegast, Staroplamen, Budovar
German: Franziskaner (Weizenbier - wheat beer), Paulaner (Weizenbier as well), Becks

Ludo
14-12-2005, 22:59
Surprised not to see Dragonheart or Waggle Dance mentioned.

As stated, if you ever come to England, the best way to choose your beer is to visit a supermarket, find the bottles and find the unusual names. They have a tendedncy to be extremely good.

Now we can get proper Guiness, from Dublin, it's far better than it used to be :D.

Of course Guiness from Dublin is better. Everything from Dublin is better: the beer, the exits, everything.

He Who Laughs
15-12-2005, 09:19
Having recently turned the magic age (18) and not dabbled much with beer, this thread is darn useful. From my limited experience and older friends wisdom: Becks, Stella's, and almost anything from belgium. One particular friend wouldn't stop raving.

Welcome to the wonderland land of Drinking Age. No more sneaking into pubs for you my friend!

The thing you gotta realise about all the Belgium (and generally all the other European) beers is that are generally sweeter, on behalf of the hops and other ingredients they use (and the process). Hence easier on the palate and thus consumed in great numbers by young drinkers (hey, everyone has to start somewhere).

Aussie beer, however is a lot rougher - and and is scientifically proven to promote the growth of handlebar "Boonie" moustaches, keg-sized beer guts and the preference to wear blue wife-beaters* everywhere. Hence, they take a while to get used to - but are a lot richer and stronger in flavour. And better at quenching hard-earned thirsts. Matter of fact, I got it now. :D

Oh, and avoid VB and XXXX in any incantation.

VB yes, avoid it (no-one actually knows what VB stands for, many believe it could be Visitors Beer, Very Bad, Von Butch or even the name of the master brewers best Nigeria mate - Veebee... marvel at the mystery :rolleyes: ) but try the new VB Orignal Ale, it's actually a good bitter. And XXXX Gold isn't too bad.

*Truckers singlet

samael
15-12-2005, 09:41
The thing you gotta realise about all the Belgium (and generally all the other European) beers is that are generally sweeter, on behalf of the hops and other ingredients they use (and the process). Hence easier on the palate and thus consumed in great numbers by young drinkers (hey, everyone has to start somewhere).

Hmm I don't know what you've been drinking but I guess it was some kind of Kriek beer, they taste fruity.

Most Belgian beers that I know have a well rounded and sometimes slightly bitter taste (that's the effect of hop btw)and are not reccomended for neophyte beerdrinkers, since, sorry to say this, they usually won't get the full enjoyment out of the experience.

These beers are drunk for taste and enjoyment, not for a match of 'who can drink the most in the shortest time'.

Try that with a Duvel a Gulden Draak or a Kasteel beer and you'd have one of the shortest matches ever.

He Who Laughs
15-12-2005, 09:49
Fair enough. But realise that some of the European beer sold in Australia is actually brewed in Australia under license. Not all, just a few of the more common ones.

Not trying to despute your knowledge of them (hey, they're YOUR local beers :D ) -but I suggest you try them against Aussie beers (not Forsters, which is probably all you can ge over there unfortnately) and then you'll understand where I'm coming from. European beer tastes sweet compared to Aussie beer. Tis all.

Oh, and I would not waste a Duvel in a drinking contest. They are to be enjoyed slowly, not sculled.

samael
15-12-2005, 09:55
I was on holiday in ozz 3 years ago and of course I tried the local brews.

There are some shining stars there but beers like VB and to a lesser extent Forsters are vile, they make Heineken look like a good alternative ;)

He Who Laughs
15-12-2005, 09:59
Ha! :D Believe it or not, there is worse beer in Oz than VB and Forsters. Redback Bitter, Blacksmith Bitter and Emu Bitter are just a few.... hang on, I see a pattern emerging...

Adept
15-12-2005, 12:10
Ha! :D Believe it or not, there is worse beer in Oz than VB and Forsters. Redback Bitter, Blacksmith Bitter and Emu Bitter are just a few.... hang on, I see a pattern emerging...

Hey, I actually like Redbacks...

In case anyone hasn't mentioned it yet (and I can't be bothered checking over fifty posts of beer names) make sure you try Coopers pale ale, and Toohey's old ale. Well, they're my favourites any way.

Kittah
15-12-2005, 12:46
I don't think I'd ever say European beers are sweeter than Aussie beer. All the Aussie beer I've tasted has been, by comparison, "sweeter" (or at least less bitter) than European beer. Kind of sucks because I can't drink Aussie beer because most of it is crap (no offense, but thenagain I am a Kiwi ;)) yet a lot of the European beer is quite bitter.

Of course, I still enjoy Amstel and Duvel, and occasionally a Guiness if I'm in the mood :D

TomKamakazi
15-12-2005, 15:01
Listen to He Who Laughs, his beer-fu is obviously strong.

An Australian warning for the rest of the world: Do not judge us by Fosters, the reason we export that swill is because they can't convince any one here to drink it.
As for Samoth and NaT, I have a standing recommendation for anything produced mister J. Boags and his sons. Coopers produce some very very nice brews, as mentioned a few times before; sparkling and pale ales. I'm personally a fan of Cooper's Extra Stout, but it's quite a meal of a beer, perhaps not a good entry level.
Beezneez is excellent in the unlikely event you can get your hands on it. It's a honey brewed beer and has a lovely sweet aftertaste. It's from a small brewery in WA somewhere, it's worth looking around for.

I'd recommend staying away from anything in a red can or label, Carlton draught (Some will disagree here) Tooheys red, Melbourne bitter, nothing good comes from a red can. Nothing.

A special warning for Samoth, being in Bisnyland and all, DO NOT DRINK FOUR X in any form! (or XXXX if that's how you want to spell it). It's one more X than the international symbol for poison! The only reason they call it XXXX is because they couldn't write ***** on the can!
I feel strongly on this one...

Adept
15-12-2005, 15:16
It's one more X than the international symbol for poison!

But if we use the porno scale instead, then XXXX must be the ultimate hawtness. I mean, XXX is the good smut, right? And more is better, right? So four X's must mean it's better than hot smut, right?

Right?

He Who Laughs
15-12-2005, 20:16
Listen to He Who Laughs, his beer-fu is obviously strong. Sigged mate, thats pure gold. You're a deadset legend!

An Australian warning for the rest of the world: Do not judge us by Fosters, the reason we export that swill is because they can't convince any one here to drink it.
As for Samoth and NaT, I have a standing recommendation for anything produced mister J. Boags and his sons. Coopers produce some very very nice brews, as mentioned a few times before; sparkling and pale ales. I'm personally a fan of Cooper's Extra Stout, but it's quite a meal of a beer, perhaps not a good entry level.
Beezneez is excellent in the unlikely event you can get your hands on it. It's a honey brewed beer and has a lovely sweet aftertaste. It's from a small brewery in WA somewhere, it's worth looking around for.

I'd recommend staying away from anything in a red can or label, Carlton draught (Some will disagree here) Tooheys red, Melbourne bitter, nothing good comes from a red can. Nothing.

TomKamakazi also speaks the truth - a couple of people have mentioned it already, so therefore you shouldn't go past Coopers. Glad you like the Extra Stout too TomK, I enjoy it when I get the chance (and don't need to get up early in the morning :D )

Kind of sucks because I can't drink Aussie beer because most of it is crap (no offense, but thenagain I am a Kiwi ) yet a lot of the European beer is quite bitter.

Next time you're on this side of the lake, look me up and I'll show you what good Aussie beers taste like. Well, I must admit you Kiwi's do a good drop - Speights is one of the nice ones I can remember - different again in flavour to Oz beers. Must be your pure glacier water of some crap like that ;) Either that, or all the Hobbits you've got pressganged into service making beer...

NakedFisherman
15-12-2005, 20:31
Great Lakes!

All of them! Get the sampler!

And some Christmas Ale! Amazing stuff!

MacVurrich
15-12-2005, 20:45
Real Ale,
George Gales - HSB

cpl_hicks
15-12-2005, 21:27
the only aussie beer i had that was good was called TED (touthys extra dry?? i think) its a bit sweet but it okay

Apollyon
15-12-2005, 21:41
It's either EKU28 or Samiclaus (both are as strong as a lesbians lunchbox on herring day and taste like a fart smells.)

If you ever get a Baltika you need to freeze a pint glass first or its just not the same.
Skullsplitter ale. Does exactly what it says on the tin.

I was once told of this bizarre beer of 14%, I cannot remember where this came from, what it is, but I want some. Please tell me Warseer.

Apollyon
15-12-2005, 21:52
Nothing worth drinking that is made in the US reaches overseas. Labbatt's Blue is ok from Leafland (Canada..I can call it that because we're tight like that) Double Spatten, Carta Blanca and Samuel Smith's are the only glaring omissions that I notice...I will and this that opinions on women and beer are subjective. Beside why drink beer when there's BOURBON!

TomKamakazi
15-12-2005, 22:40
Nothing worth drinking that is made in the US reaches overseas.

Good. I should hope the yellow watery crap Budwiser isn't the best you can come up with. I won't judge the county on it, see my earlier comment about fosters

Beside why drink beer when there's BOURBON!

Why drink Bourbon when you could drink break fluid :p

You're a deadset legend

Why thank you, I'm glad some one shares my opinion :D
Yesss.. Extra Stout is a very good thing.

RGB
16-12-2005, 00:07
Unibroue is great.

Maudite, Fin du Monde and the rest of the line.

Big Rocks stuff is also good (Mmhh Grasshopper)

In general beer in Canada is good if you don't drink the cheap stuff. Well, other than that, the others have given guides on European beer probably.

NakedFisherman
16-12-2005, 00:59
Nothing worth drinking that is made in the US reaches overseas. Labbatt's Blue is ok from Leafland (Canada..I can call it that because we're tight like that) Double Spatten, Carta Blanca and Samuel Smith's are the only glaring omissions that I notice...I will and this that opinions on women and beer are subjective. Beside why drink beer when there's BOURBON!

Great Lakes is downright amazing.

It has no preservatives, so I'm not sure if you can reliably get it outside of the Northeast Ohio area. If you can, try some. It's great stuff.

Apollyon
16-12-2005, 03:00
There are a lot of great regional products here in KC we have Freestate.

Great Lakes is downright amazing.

It has no preservatives, so I'm not sure if you can reliably get it outside of the Northeast Ohio area. If you can, try some. It's great stuff.

NakedFisherman
16-12-2005, 03:10
There are a lot of great regional products here in KC we have Freestate.

Do they compare to Great Lakes, though?

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/beerOurBeersRG.php#

Click on the beers and check out those awards. :)

Samoth
16-12-2005, 07:05
VB yes, avoid it (no-one actually knows what VB stands for, many believe it could be Visitors Beer, Very Bad, Von Butch or even the name of the master brewers best Nigeria mate - Veebee... marvel at the mystery :rolleyes: ) but try the new VB Orignal Ale, it's actually a good bitter. And XXXX Gold isn't too bad.

Actually, qld Victoria's Bitter is made in queensland. :wtf: Apparently it's better down there. (iirc)

Apollyon
16-12-2005, 15:16
Awards are like hemorrhoids sooner or later every *sshole gets them :p

Do they compare to Great Lakes, though?

http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com/beerOurBeersRG.php#

Click on the beers and check out those awards. :)

anarchistica
16-12-2005, 15:39
Brand and Dommelsch are good but Grolsch is definitely nr.1, which is probably why it's the beer you get in Bugmans Bar.

Exterminatus
16-12-2005, 15:50
Hertog Jan is a good, nice solid beer.

Palm is nice on a summers night, and Guinness is also good.

Basically I like all beers :)

NakedFisherman
16-12-2005, 16:59
Awards are like hemorrhoids sooner or later every *sshole gets them :p

Trust me then -- Great Lakes is amazing stuff.

TomKamakazi
19-12-2005, 02:37
Before this thread drops compleatly off the radar, are there any Americans out there (or Mexicans) that can tell me about some good Mexican beers?

I ask because I work in the bar of a Mexican resturaunt and not a single member of staff has so much as been to mexico. Currently we stock the ovious Corona, Dos Equis Larger and Amber, and a few different kinds of Casta. I want to look into some other beers that we could hit our suppliers up for. Hopefully ones that don't tast like crap or like Sol.

Cheers

LordPestilence
19-12-2005, 07:50
Goblin Beer!!!!

Its german...and delicious

Apollyon
19-12-2005, 16:26
Carta Blanca , Modelo Negro and Tecate are all good

Before this thread drops compleatly off the radar, are there any Americans out there (or Mexicans) that can tell me about some good Mexican beers?

I ask because I work in the bar of a Mexican resturaunt and not a single member of staff has so much as been to mexico. Currently we stock the ovious Corona, Dos Equis Larger and Amber, and a few different kinds of Casta. I want to look into some other beers that we could hit our suppliers up for. Hopefully ones that don't tast like crap or like Sol.

Cheers

Apollyon
19-12-2005, 16:29
I'll be passing through there this summer and I'll pick some up.

Trust me then -- Great Lakes is amazing stuff.