PDA

View Full Version : Fastest army/list to paint?

Dranthar
19-03-2009, 07:58
I have a friend planning to do a 24-hour painting challenge one day, and so in my idle thoughts I was thinking of how it might be possible to paint an entire 2000pt army in that space of time.

So, my question to you folks is, which sort of army/list would such an endevour be feasible for, given that...
1. Assembly and undercoating is not an issue
2. Little thought (but not none) is given to the list feasibility.
3. It doesn't look like total pigs crap at the end. :rolleyes:

(BTW, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. It seems to straddle the line between painting/modelling and general FB discussion). :rolleyes:

mr.kislev
19-03-2009, 08:02
just upgrade orgres to the max then you only have about 30 or 40 models to paint

lparigi34
19-03-2009, 13:15
Yep... Ogres came fast to my mind.

Also expensive elite organic units... I can paint daemons pretty fast. Just weird I say so since I really HATE the army.

Or Dark Elves. A nice Black Spray coat (I'd recommend Krylon Semi-Flat), then just paint on some skin and add some metal, finish up w/ touchs of purple

Preacher
19-03-2009, 13:28
Nurgle Dameons I would think are the fastest to paint. You can get great results with a couple foundation paints and washes. Green, brown, a little flesh color for maggots heavy devaln mud wash and your done. All the highlights can drybrushed, tie it together with one more wash base and your done.

I've seen a few threads in the painting and modelling section of speed painted nurgle daemons. So a serach and you can see some of the results.

Mercules
19-03-2009, 14:07
Wood Elves - Treeman Ancient(chock full of Spites), 3x Branchwraiths(Lvl1 Wiz with various Spites), 3x 8Dryads with Branch Nymph, 8 Dryads, 2x 3 Tree Kin, Treeman.

Most of the army can be base coated, dipped/washed, highlighted and then have specific details filled in. Some foliage and a nice basing and you could have a good looking army on the board in 24 hours and it wouldn't be horrible to play as a list. 3 terror causers, 6 Dispel Dice, 5 Casting Dice with 4 bound spells, and a lot of CC potential. Fast moving and hard hitting.

Keller
19-03-2009, 14:34
Skeletal or Ghoul based VC list. Skeletons are super easy to do quickly; just spray em white, wash em over and paint the weapons/bases.

I've not painted the new ghouls, but I'd expect they'd be easy too, but not as easy for flesh and the like. Atleast they don't have weapons/armor.

Direwolves, spirit hosts and wraiths are all very quick to paint as well.

Get a couple characters, which are fun to paint, to break up the monatany, and you could have a ton of models done by the end of the day.

fastcarfreak
19-03-2009, 15:43
horde skaven for the win!!! lol. jk. I would say deamons would be the quickest, then a forest spirit wood elves army. Next would probably be ogre kingdoms.

Bac5665
19-03-2009, 16:03
Khemri. Spray white, brown ink, drybrush Bleached bone, pick out details to taste, game.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
19-03-2009, 16:16
Khemri, use the Bone Army Painter, ink and highlight 90% done very quick

Stuffburger
19-03-2009, 16:27
I heard of a 5 model army somewhere, forget who does that though.

Mercules
19-03-2009, 16:34
I heard of a 5 model army somewhere, forget who does that though.

Chaos used to pull this off.

orkz222
19-03-2009, 16:38
consider OK?

Tokamak
19-03-2009, 16:41
Lizardmen.

Coat white, dip in a blue wash. And define details.

slingersam
19-03-2009, 17:09
A Minators army, would be pretty small, and is a feasible army

Da_Viking
19-03-2009, 17:11
Slann
3 Engine of the gods with Skink Priests
15 Skinks
2000 Points

dooms33ker
19-03-2009, 17:51
Slann
3 Engine of the gods with Skink Priests
15 Skinks
2000 Points

Good idea but skins are a 10+ per unit so you would need at least 30.

Tokamak
19-03-2009, 17:53
Thirty isn't much either. You can either pick 6 from the engine and only need one box of skins. Cheap!

nosferatu1001
19-03-2009, 17:53
15 skinks doesnt give you enough core.

min is 30 skink, around 210, slann plus 3 engines can easily fill the rest (roughly 400 per engine and up to 600 for the slaan) - would make for a hell of a magic phase, and not bad in combat if you can combine charge

Desert Rain
19-03-2009, 18:13
I supose that Khemri are quick and easy to paint. Spary white, brown wash and if you want to give them a drybrush of bleached bone. Then most of your units are 99% done :D
Khemri has a rather low model count too so you won't have to paint a lot of them either.

I would probably do them if I were in such a constest.

fluffystuff
19-03-2009, 19:27
Mounted Chaos Warrior list.
Low model count, just paint them chainmail followed by a generous wash of badab black.

badgeraddict
19-03-2009, 19:59
Bretonnians.

Heh, no seriously I reckon Tomb Kings. Most of the models can be undercoated black then dry coated Bleach Bone. Touch up any other bits with whatever colour you please.

Quite fast I reckon.

Netherghoul
20-03-2009, 02:19
well, being an utter bastard realist;

it can't be done, it'll still look as utter crap.
why'd bother?
best the bugger gets some decent sleep & rest, and pays the amount of input the miniatures deserve imho.

Aurellis
20-03-2009, 02:20
Beasts of Chaos are really easy to paint if you fancy using some dip.

Basecoat all of your models and use the dip to shade them. It's that simple!

Nephilim of Sin
20-03-2009, 02:41
This reminds me of the WD article that promoted using plastic knives to glue bitz (heads, arms, etc...) on, and leave just the torso and the bodies. They reported that one guy painted 100 gobbos this way to a decent standard, so I imagine it could be done, even with semi-horde armies.

Although I am tempted to do a TK army in 24 hours (not counting assembly), without the use of a dip, just to see what I can produce. Hmm....

Lord0rcus
20-03-2009, 03:06
Undead are very easy to paint. My friend and I did about 1600 points of vampires in 6hrs on a Saturday.

We Spent an hr doing assembly, and then primer black in shifts. Dry brushed skeletons with first brown then white with a thinned brown ink wash. Zombies were dry brushed a mix of gray, green, blue, flesh colors, added some detail finished with a black ink wash. Ghouls were done with black primer and ghoul gray dry brush. Wolves & bats were primered black dry brushed brown & grey. Wraiths, banshees & spirit hosts were primered white, then slime green then a white dry brush. For black knights we used empire plastic knights, with some of the heads left off for a "headless horsemen" theme. Again primered black, for the horses dark brown/grey, dry brush a mix of copper & steel paint for a rusted look on the armor. We did an assembly line for details like the weapons, red for the mouths, white detail on the teeth. For the bases we used a mixture of black craft sand and grey talus (gravel) and it gave "dungeon cobblestone" look. He had a collection of gruesome decals/stickers for the banners that we just applied after clear coating.

Fortunately we vampires/necromancers that had previously been painted to a respectable standard.

sabre4190
20-03-2009, 03:07
TK is easy for this. At the very least, drybrush everything. Two, maybe three coats and it can look pretty too knotch.

Ogres might work because of low model count, and they are pretty easy to paint.

So, undead or ogres are the easiest.

Dranthar
20-03-2009, 05:30
it can't be done, it'll still look as utter crap.
why'd bother?
best the bugger gets some decent sleep & rest, and pays the amount of input the miniatures deserve imho.

You make a good point Netherghoul. :D

For the most part, I'm interested in doing something like this purely for the fun/challenge. I already have a fully painted VC army and I'm well on my way to having 2000pts of painted Night goblins (which will look great once I'm done with them!).

The idea of painting 2000 pts in 24 hours just appeals to me, however.

Ogres, Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts are certainly the obvious choices. Unfortunately I already have a VC army so I'm not really keen on getting another "wall of bones". I also find Tomb kings really hard to get excited about. :(
As for Ogres, they're certainly on the 'short list', but if I ever do an OK army I would really want to theme it with a strong gnoblar presence. So I either need to man up and get over the gnoblars or pick another army. :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head, the lists I'm thinking are;

Ogre Kingdoms: Probably 2x Batallions supplemented with characters and a Giant that I already have (unpainted as of yet). As above, the ease of painting may be compromised by my insistance that gnoblars must be everywhere. :rolleyes:

Daemons of Chaos: A Slaneesh or Khorne theme would be cheap to build and with liberal use of the wahses, fast to paint to a respectable standard. Nurgle would be ideal, but unfortunately I'm not made of money. The negative is mostly one of gameplay, but given the primary reason is to paint the army within a day, I'm not ruling them out yet.

Wood Elves: Drybrushed forest spirits would be fast, but I can't help but feel it'd be a bit dull on the table top (yeah, sorry, gaming does come into my decision :rolleyes: ). I could incorporate wood elves, but then I need to find a fast way of painting those too, which is somewhat more of a challenge.

Warriors of Chaos: These are my favorites at the moment. A mounted army would have a very low model count, although I may be able to go for a more infantry-based approach without uping the model count to something unfeasible (avoiding maraulders, of course). There's also the potential for some variety in painting - I could divide the list into 4 parts, one for each God, with appropriate colour schemes for each.

Other than that, I'm warming to the idea of stegadons + Skinks, and I have had the idea of doing Dwarves painted up as animated stone statues for a little while too.

lparigi34 is right though - the army would really need to be elite and/or organic.

Da_Viking
20-03-2009, 13:56
I ooopsed! Yeah need 30 Skinks (3 units of 10)

(what the _____ was I thinking???)

But base coat and dry brush does not take long and they are small.

Monkey
20-03-2009, 18:53
Do an empire army of Nuln ....they wear black and you can max out on bug guns :)

QuasiEvil
20-03-2009, 20:35
I've read and heard a lot of good things about using the Army Painter dipping system. Definitely look into dipping your models if you are looking to paint fast.

If you dip your models I would say you could paint just about any army pretty quickly.

forthegloryofkazadekrund
20-03-2009, 21:06
Army Painter Website about Undead Painting, very quick very easy

http://www.thearmypainter.com/gallery_presentation.php?GalleryId=17&page=1

use the spray, add the basic paint on weapons and then dip (using the darkest dip makes them look really good))

soots
20-03-2009, 21:12
Skeletons - quick to paint, nightmare to glue together

skuller
20-03-2009, 21:19
Ill agree with WE and all treemonic legion 36 dryads, 6 treekin and 1 treeman (this should be around 2k of points converting 3 dryad into branchwraiths and/or drycha if your not using the treeman ancient) basecoat them black apply light coat of bestial brown, highlight with snakebit leather, extreme highlight with camo green and add some gryphon sephia ink or DEVLAN MUD (the God of all inks ) just paint some small details in goblin green (sprites, eyes, some leaves) and some bleach bone for the skulls
it took me around 5-6 days to have everything painted

sorry didnt see the WITHIN 24HRS but i normally have to work or take care of my kiddos so no more than 4 hrs per day for painting/assembling

Disciple of Caliban
21-03-2009, 19:27
lizardmen are certainly worth a little consideration.

I'm gonna be putting most of a day (8 ish hours, with a couple of meal breaks) into painting some of mine and honestly think i can paint the majority of the models (1000pts+) in that time, and thats with a fairly balanced list.

Saurus take very little painting (basecoat, ink wash, pick out details, apply a single layer of highlights to everything) to look reasonable. And of course you can easily keep the model count down by fielding a slann and a sack full of stegs/engines

Tokamak
21-03-2009, 20:57
A zombie/ghoul horde.

White base coat, greens and browns applied randomly, devlan mud wash and then slap blood splashes on it with a brush dipped in a red wash.

lparigi34
23-03-2009, 16:14
I did few lizzies like this

1.- White Primer

2.- Clear base colour (I used Sky blue), evenly applied with airbrush / paint gun -- This step is important as washes do not run well over primer... not at all, so be careful to cover all nicely.

3.- Dark Ink Wash (I used Dark Blue).

Those minis came out really well and I can see this working with many color schemes. i.e:

Dark Green wash over Jade Green basecoat

Orange + Red wash over Yellow basecoat

salut...

Tae
23-03-2009, 20:07
Daemons of Chaos: A Slaneesh or Khorne theme would be cheap to build and with liberal use of the wahses, fast to paint to a respectable standard. Nurgle would be ideal, but unfortunately I'm not made of money. The negative is mostly one of gameplay, but given the primary reason is to paint the army within a day, I'm not ruling them out yet.

I have a 2k Slaanesh army and I painted it in a couple of hours. Sprayed everything white, then painted the claws purple, the hair pink and then washed everything over with the purple wash. I hand painted it all (60 'nettes, 3 fiends and a KoS), but if you used the spray gun it would be even quicker.

MarcoPollo
23-03-2009, 23:14
Yup the lizzie army with 30 skinks, and a slann and some engines should do the trick. But I wouldn't want to own such a one dimensional army for the long run. Not a good investment all things considered.

winkypinky
24-03-2009, 00:07
If you are going for pure speed I would say tomb kings.

Spray the whole army white, a little boltgun, maybe a little red/black.
A dip and 95% of your army is done. And actually looks rather good.

You could also do it with a vampire army. But they tend to have a bit less bone and a bit more "something else" which would add a lot to the overall paint time, when looking at the total time. But probably not a lot of time for each unit.
So if its a one day sitting tomb kings is the way to go.
If it is more like doing a bit at a time, but doing it fast and get a decent result. Then it can be done with ANY army.
It is just about practice and knowing which short-cuts are usefull on what.
like it is not every army that can be dipped and look good. And it is not even every army were dipping them would actually reduce the total construction time.)

Chimera
24-03-2009, 01:13
I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the High Elf Double Dragon army...

Lord on Dragon
Wizard on Dragon

That's your characters done and you've spent over 1,000 points, so...

2x20 Spearmen
2x5 Dragon Princes
Eagle and/or Bolt Throwers depending on points.

Could be done in 24 hours easy. And look good. And not be boring for the 24 hour painter!

landingshortly
24-03-2009, 01:23
i've painted my fair share of 40K minis now and i just started WHFB last saturday with a box of VC ghouls. seriously, never had a simpler unit to paint: those 10 ghouls were assembled and painted within a few hours to a really good standard so that they actually really please my very perfectionist eyes.

the thing you should do is: prime them black, then prime them white (i swear by priming it black first because the skull white will hold much better), then just brush over some thraka green wash and while the wash is still wet, put some gryphone sepia in it. then make the fuzzy hair on their backs in the purple wash and add a thin layer of devlon mud over the whole mini .... if you're one of the awesome kind, just set a few highlights in rotting flesh and off you go ...

the wolves are as simple as the ghouls: you just need the red (for the muscles), purple (for the hair), ogryn flesh (to mix),devlon mud and gryphone sepia (bones) and off ya go ... easy as that.

skellies are easy as well, the corpse cart is also washes only, so are zombies ... just with some minor drybrushing beforehand.

very very very easy.