PDA

View Full Version : Does 'The Wolf Hunts' auto-rally a unit?

Major Defense
03-05-2005, 17:25
I guess the title says it all. You can cast it on "any friendly unit of cavalry, a chariot, a ridden mosnter, a monster on its own, or a swarm" but doesn't indicate any issue with casting it on a broken unit.

Selsaral
03-05-2005, 17:32
I don't understand your misunderstanding. The spell says it can only be cast on that specific list of targets.

Snoozer
03-05-2005, 17:40
I think it would say if the spell could auto-rally units. It doesn't.

Major Defense
03-05-2005, 18:04
So I guess I'll ask this another way. Why couldn't you cast this spell on a broken unit? If there is no reason why you can't cast this spell on a broken unit and doing so puts it in combat then wouldn't it no longer be broken?

Festus
03-05-2005, 21:32
Hi

You can cast this spell on a broken unit...
..if you want to lose it very quickly.

If a broken unit ends up in contact with an enemy, it is destroyed.

Why you want to do such a thing is beyond me, but you can do so...

Greetings
festus

mageith
04-05-2005, 04:28
If a broken unit ends up in contact with an enemy, it is destroyed.

Where do you find this rule? It is impossible for a fleeing unit to make contact with an enemy. Autodestroys on them are rare, maybe impossible. It is possible for an enemy to contact a fleeing unit, however.

The application of the Wolf Hunt's on a fleeing unit creates some contradictions.

A fleeing unit avoids enemy units if possible.

A fleeing unit doesn't have ranks.

Since there is no mention of rally in the rule, I'd agree with everyone who says they don't.

I suppose that the spell could be cast and the unit moved but ordinarily it wouldn't do much good. I don't think I'd readily agree to allow a fleeing unit to charge, even magically.

Ith

Darius Rhiannon
04-05-2005, 05:16
Or simply put. Rally it using the first spell from the Lore of Beasts (I forget the name) then cast the Wolf Hunts on it for a charge.

This magical movement is legit.

Also the Wolf Hunts can be cast on to bring a unit that rallied in your movement phase into combat.

To me the best use of the Spell I have ever pulled of was when I put up a unit of Silver Helms to Tempt some IC knights to have a failed charge.

I fled, I rallied, I used Wolf Hunts to bring that unit of Silver Helms into Close Combat with the other IC knights unit to ensure that I had all four sides of that unit engaged.

With the increase of Cavalry Armies, the lore of beasts should become a more attractive option.

Festus
08-05-2005, 17:32
well, to my understanding, a unit which is not able to fight in h-t-h, but finds itself in such a situation, is getting the really short end...

A fleeing unit may not fight in h-t-h, as stated in the rules. and in all other cases that an enemy unit is able to connect with a fleeing unit, it automatically is destroyed.

Greetings
Festus

gortexgunnerson
19-05-2005, 18:26
A fleeing unit will not within 4" of an enemy unit unless it has no choice (page 71 of Big red book subsequent actions of fleeing troops) As the wolf hunts is an optional spell it counters the unless it has no choice point. And hence I would say then unless rallied by 1st spell then charged the move is illegal.

However you may use it to move a unit to 4" say if you wanted to put distance between them and the table edge. In the case of a charge the unit should halt 4" away