PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Hammer Unit

CaliforniaGamer
19-03-2009, 17:34
In terms of overall effectiveness, and I know that is a big basket, which do you most people prefer/fear in terms of Vampire Count "Hammers".

Please add an explanation.

Kalist
19-03-2009, 17:39
A solid grave guard unit is a perfect place to plop your fighty/magic hybrid vampire lord. The individual guys are strong enough to do some damage on their own (don't forget killing blow) and tough enough to take a punch. They aren't easy to kill and you won't usually see them beaten by enough CR to make a significant number of them crumble.

Add a mounted wight king BSB with the drakenoff banner and you see a unit that you want to avoid at all costs.

Keller
19-03-2009, 18:18
Grave Guard are a terrific unit for the job.

I find myself using skeletons/ghouls w/ character instead, though. My Wights tend to operate on their own, characters adding punch to the core infantry for the most part to make all units a bit more dangerous. With uber-units, I find it becomes more difficult to get anything done, since opponents will just out manuever them and pick on your weak stuff. Atleast that's what I do against such players.

mattschuur
19-03-2009, 18:22
Black Knights with the right combo, Barrows banner, and a Vampire Lord on steed with dreadlance and redfury can and will beat pretty much whatever they charge, and most likely they will get the charge.

matt schuur

skuller
19-03-2009, 18:23
The retarded combo of 20+ grave guard with the bsb w/ regen banner and 3 corpse carts behind it. :P
A huge unit of GG is more difficult to cut thru that either the BD or BL
Some armies dont have the necessary tools to deal with this like my O&G, WE and CD

CaliforniaGamer
19-03-2009, 18:25
the fact that you can ION back D6 GG vs. only 1 BK/BloodK is fairly huge IMO, but the big drawback is the M4. What Matt above mentions is the main reason why the GG are definitely not THE choice when building VC lists. I can see very skilled generals taking huge advantage of potential M8 ethereal moving steeds in a big black knight unit with the wight king/regen banner.

W0lf
19-03-2009, 18:45
Grave guard myself. But i much perfer infantry to cavalry for feel/look wise (cav are no doubt better).

I voted GG before i considered you asked for 'optimal'.

In that case 10 Black knights with Drakenhof banner and a lord is silly effective/scary.