PDA

View Full Version : A Tale of Three Gamers- which army to choose?

sturguard
19-03-2009, 17:43
Hey folks,

I am primarily a 40k player, however, given my age and three young ones I don't get to venture far from the ranch so to speak and play 40k much. I do know two guys who live in my area and have no problem coming over the house to play but they only play fantasy. So... I am debating getting into warhammer so I can play.. these would all be fun games (no tournies) but one of the guys does play pretty hard lists. Please feel free to steer me towards the army which would be right for me... the three I am considering are Bretonnia, Dark Elf and Wood Elf.

First and foremost I am very model driven- even if a unit is good, if I don't like the model, I either convert or don't use it.
Next, of the two players, one uses High Elves and Empire and the other uses a Lizardman Steggy list with 2-3 steggies and a unit of Kroxigor with skinks (at least that is what he told me) so I would like my army to match up well against the others.
Does anyone know if another wave of Dark Elves is coming out... I really dislike the dark rider, warrior and harpy models, so that just leaves me with corsairs.
I am looking for an army that can be effective in all three phases and I can swap out. I don't want to play the same list over and over and would prefer flexibility- winning every game isn't as important as being able to use different units and having fun with different tactics.

My thoughts- I like the idea of Bretonnians (I was always big into paladins during my early stint with D&D) but they have fewer unit types than either elves. I also don't know how well I could paint the heraldry- it kind of spooks me. I actually like the models that aren't the backbone of the army (men at arms, questing knights, grail reliquay? sp?) so could I play effectively with them?

Dark elves, again, I have never seen the new book so don't know their strengths relative to high elf, empire and lizardmen. I do like the corsairs, the nobles, assasins, hydra and cold one knight models- I hate the harpies, warriors and dark riders. As dark riders and harpies seem to be integral to the army play, I'm not sure how this fares.

Wood elves. Like the big monster models, wardancer and spell singers and wild riders- however, I am a bit concerned with the learning curve on them and how they play against lizardards, high elves and the some of the power armies.

Oh, I also wanted to point out I wanted to play an army that would be fun in small games and larger games- so the quality of the army wasn't dependent on the size of the game.

Finally, I play eldar in 40k, so I was thinking I might want to get away from elves.

Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

Edit
19-03-2009, 17:50
I know a few people that convert the corsairs into warriors, and dark riders can be made with glade riders and corsair bits and look nice. But if your army is going to use alot of them it could get pricey.

Wood elves have some wonderful models, and are a good army as well, with good options.

I am not familiar with bretonnians, as we don't have a local player of them, but I like the peggy riders models and rules, though I am not very good with knights yet (played Skaven for 14 years and recently started some DE)

W0lf
19-03-2009, 18:37
You can convert warriors out of corsairs and nearly everyone converts DR as they are currently 30 a unit of 5.

DE are able to be competive at any phase you wish with a powerful list and plenty of options for themes.

isidril93
19-03-2009, 22:01
models=wood elves
gamewise=dark elves but wood elves will be good when you practise more with them

sturguard
19-03-2009, 23:00
What makes the dark elves good? I know they have universal hatred but other than that why would you say gamewise they are better than wood elves?

Edit
20-03-2009, 14:48
hatred is insanely good (yes I play DE as well) as you don't have to worry about WS stat basically, they have some very good magic items for defense, which happens to be their weakness.

I guess what it boils down to is they have a presence in every phase of the game, they can have a good melee, magic, and ranged list. People are figuring out their tricks imo, so they are not super overpowered like people thought, but are a very solid army with lots of options. and they can make a silly dual hydra, unkillable lord list if they want to be silly.

Charistoph
20-03-2009, 17:26
Since you play 40K:

Why do you play Eldar?

Do you want to continue using the Eldar playstyle, or try something completely different?

swarmofseals
20-03-2009, 20:38
What makes the dark elves good? I know they have universal hatred but other than that why would you say gamewise they are better than wood elves?

Dark Elves have some seriously undercosted options both in terms of magic items and in terms of units (hydra, for example).

CaliforniaGamer
20-03-2009, 21:45
Personally DEs are my favorite army in all WFB.

They have great/viable range, magic, infantry and cavalry builds.

They have cool monsters.

They have many excellent banners you can really feel good about spending lots of time detailing/modeling (vs. say spending time modeling the crappy BSB selections available to the Tomb Kings..).

sturguard
21-03-2009, 03:48
I think I have decided to go with Dark Elves (although the evil thing is gnawing at me).

Having looked through the book, it seems to me they could be successful at ranked units, could play MSU, have monsters as well as decent shooting and magic. Plus given my two opponents are high elves and lizards, I think all the armies should match up well- which is my main concern.

I really like the idea of taking Hellebron and doing an all witch cult with assasins.

Does anyone know if they are planning a second wave of dark elf models in the near future? Personally, I have a problem with alot of the figures- namely the shades, warriors, dark riders and even the witch elves look like they could use an update. Realistically, they spent way more effort on lords and characters than on units this time around- what just the corsairs, cold one knights and a hydra. I am bummed they didnt even do a plastic lord set like the high elves and empire.

sturguard
21-03-2009, 04:14
Being a rookie at this, is a pretty common lord build

Dreadlord
Dragon Cloak
Cold One Mount
Crimson Death
Armor of Eternal Servitude
Pendant of Khaeleth?

1+ armor save, regenerate and a ward save plus striking at intiative with str 6? Seems pretty good to me.

Also, as the witch elves attracted me, I was thinking several things

Death Hag- BSB w/Standard of Hag Graef and Rune of Khaine and Manbane
11 witch elves
stnd- banner of murder
Hag with witchbrew

2x7 formation, strikes first with lots of armor piercing attacks and opponent gets no bonuses for ranks etc, or is that a waste of the strikes first banner which should go with the executioners? Do people still think that executioners are overpriced or underarmored? Just having heavy armor seems like missile fire would just annhiliate them before they saw combat.

Finally, what are peoples thoughts on the cauldron? First, does it actually move with the hags? Second, it seems awfully hard to protect given it just has 3 hags working it. Thoughts?

swarmofseals
21-03-2009, 04:40
Being a rookie at this, is a pretty common lord build

Dreadlord
Dragon Cloak
Cold One Mount
Crimson Death
Armor of Eternal Servitude
Pendant of Khaeleth?

1+ armor save, regenerate and a ward save plus striking at intiative with str 6? Seems pretty good to me.

Also, as the witch elves attracted me, I was thinking several things

Death Hag- BSB w/Standard of Hag Graef and Rune of Khaine and Manbane
11 witch elves
stnd- banner of murder
Hag with witchbrew

2x7 formation, strikes first with lots of armor piercing attacks and opponent gets no bonuses for ranks etc, or is that a waste of the strikes first banner which should go with the executioners? Do people still think that executioners are overpriced or underarmored? Just having heavy armor seems like missile fire would just annhiliate them before they saw combat.

Finally, what are peoples thoughts on the cauldron? First, does it actually move with the hags? Second, it seems awfully hard to protect given it just has 3 hags working it. Thoughts?

Yes, that is a very common lord build and thought of by many to be cheesy, mainly because of the pendant. Generally speaking, your witch elf idea looks fine although if you are just going for pure power you should stick the Standard of Hag Graef in a unit of black guard (you will be called cheesy if you do this). Coincidentally, the reason why most people don't take executioners is because black guard are basically just plain better.

sturguard
21-03-2009, 05:07
Why are the Black Guard so much better? They have the same save and have stubborn granted, but if you put the ASF banner with the executioners, what is going to be left in the unit you are fighting? I can only imagine a Hag BSB in a unit of executioners with manbane.