PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Legion and the MoCU

Grimaldus
12-12-2005, 18:52
I'm looking for people's opinions on whether or not my Alpha Legion should have the MoCU. In all the background I've read(basically the Index Astartes article and what's in the Codex), there is nothing really regarding anything related to the piety of the AL...which leads me to believe that they aren't really all that devout. They don't tend to dwell in the Eye of Terror, saving them from madness and mutation(for the most part), furthering my belief that they would be far less prone to worshipping the Dark Gods. They seem much more interested in subversion and havoc in the name of their own superiority and to cause the downfall of a weakling Imperium, rather than in the name of the Chaos Gods. So I'm thinking my Alpha Legion will be without the MoCU...unless, of course, anyone can point me to some background or even vague idea that might make me think otherwise.
I'm not saying that the AL don't use Chaos to further their own goals, in fact, of course they do. Anything put in the hands of the AL becomes yet another weapon of many in their huge and eclectic arsenal. They spread the belief of Chaos(in the form of cults, for example) not specifically for the furthering of the Dark Gods, but to further their own agenda, etc.
So, what do you guys and girls think? MoCU on the Alpha Legion, or not?

TWB
12-12-2005, 19:19
I think it's a preference thing, there is certainly nothing to suggest that they are habitual Chaos worshippers.

Being a worshipper of chaos isn't like being religeous in our scociety, there is actual proof, tangible, spiky proof that the gods of chaos exist so the Alpha legion would deffinitely use any chaos powers they can in their war against the Imperium.
The Alpha Legion tend to live in real space or at least are not based within the eye of terror or other warp/real space overlaps, this means their uses for chaos might be different to those of the other legions (who essentially bathe in the raw stuff of chaos) they would have less access and would probably use it more sparinly, they may prefer to use the scrying opportunities that the Warp offers to further their own agenda.

From a Gameplay POV, the MoCU could easily represent dedication and determination to the Cause. It certainly wouldn't be compulsory though.

Grimaldus
12-12-2005, 19:48
hmmm good point, TWB. Thanks a lot! Right, looking at the MoCU as what you stated, rather than fanatical, religious devotion makes it much more understandable for the AL to have the MoCU. And, in the end, it is worth it for the points:)

warhammerkid
12-12-2005, 19:54
sounds real good, but i still like my army......reagades :P

Mikari
12-12-2005, 20:49
Alpha legion are much like the Nightlords. They're not Chaos persay, they're traitor legions (Black legion, Word bearers, Sons, World eaters, Deathguard and EC being the TRUE Chaos marines). Neither of them truely worship the Chaos gods, but they'll use any weapons in their arsenals.

If you notice old fluff says "Alpha legion cultists", never Chaos cultists. These cults would worship the gods to cause havoc but generally act more like a genestealer cult., Infiltrate the power houses and when the AL arrive cause as much delay as possible in fighting them.

It's up to you if you want to take MoCU but personally I wouldn't on anything but Black legion/Word bearers.

TWB
12-12-2005, 20:53
I would imagine the Alpha Legion supporting local rebel and dissident factions, training, arming and supporting them. Chaos worship may be the initial hook though.