PDA

View Full Version : Need some Advice for choosing a new Army...

Leonyn
19-03-2009, 20:55
Hello guys,

so i think im going to retire from my Dark Eldar and try something new, but the biggest issue is, that iam not able to find a new army. So i thought you might want to jump in and help out.
So what IŽam looking for:
-Competitive
-Quality oriented army (dont like horde Armies)
-Tactical, adaptive gameplay
-No slowpokes... i really hate slow armies :/

you guys got any Ideas? I thought about Demons but after a few tries... I came to the conclusion they are boring as hell.

Thanks in Advance

Spyral
19-03-2009, 22:17
Pod marines - 3 ironclads 3 normal dreds, melta gun and assault guns on them. 3 squads of sniper scouts with missile launchers. Master of the forge. Drop pod the lot.

Leonyn
19-03-2009, 22:18
Well that sounds even more boring than Demons :/

stroller
19-03-2009, 23:47
Try.....the NEW Dark Eldar (patience child...)

Raxmei
20-03-2009, 00:16
There's also Eldar. Fast skimmers, eldar jetbikes. They're mostly tougher than Dark Eldar but more expensive, and pretty mobile. After that, it's pretty easy to make mobile Space Marines. They aren't as fast as Eldar, but can still move and are a good bit tougher.

victorpofa
20-03-2009, 00:37
I don't know how competitive they are, but Ravenwing fits your bill.

demicanadian
20-03-2009, 01:36
If "tactical" means to run around like chickens in big armored speeders, blasting away at everything that moves & squealing like a frightened pig if anybody gets too close, then Tau might be the army for you! ;)

Newer Powered Armor armies also have a lot of inexpensive mobility with the dirt-cheap Rhinos. Chaos has a lot of neat Troops choices, Loyalists get drop pods and all manner of other goodies.

If you're a treadhead, you may want to wait for the Imperial Guard revision.

Gimp
20-03-2009, 01:42
Well that sounds even more boring than Demons :/

Thats because it is more boring than Demons :/

Frep
20-03-2009, 01:59
All drop pod marines is boring, mechanized with some drop pods on the other had really is fun. Especially If you can squeeze in a landraider with terminators and a chaplain. Anything that hits is gonna die, and if they kill the raider (which is fairly difficult) the rest of your army remains unmolested, I don't reccomend this at less than 2000 points though. It's bloody expensive but very mean. Avoid going all out on some of the new gimmicks though, sternguard and vanguard are very dangerous, but very expensive and fragile (well for marines that is).

Sacrednature
22-03-2009, 05:14
Try a tryanid army. 5 Carnifex, a hive tyrant with some guards, 9 warriors, a broodlord with some genestealers. Nids never get boring and nids never turtle! :evilgrin:

Ddraiglais
22-03-2009, 07:41
Though not exactly "quality" I am very tempted to start a Ride of the Valkyries army. I'm sure that will be the flavor of the month real soon. Nine valkyries with three twin linked LC (at only 130 points a pop) deepstriking troops (360 points before heavy/special weapons) might just be too much to resists. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" and MP3 players playing Wagner's famous tune might become commonplace at gaming stores. If the rumors are true, then a fast moving/air cav IG force might not be as laughable as one might think.

Explodingboy
22-03-2009, 08:01
Though not exactly "quality" I am very tempted to start a Ride of the Valkyries army. I'm sure that will be the flavor of the month real soon. Nine valkyries with three twin linked LC (at only 130 points a pop) deepstriking troops (360 points before heavy/special weapons) might just be too much to resists. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning" and MP3 players playing Wagner's famous tune might become commonplace at gaming stores. If the rumors are true, then a fast moving/air cav IG force might not be as laughable as one might think.

2 Valks and 1 Vendetta is my current shopping list. Each carrying a Veterans unit with demolition specialization, swoop in fast grav chute insertion, and then lob demo charges at what ever is in range..

probably not competitive, but demolition charges make me smile.

souljaking09
22-03-2009, 08:07
Some type of space marines fits your description since you only care about the tactics I guess. If you cared about models or background, that would be different. So marines are strong, decent speed, tactical and competitive.

Ddraiglais
22-03-2009, 08:31
2 Valks and 1 Vendetta is my current shopping list. Each carrying a Veterans unit with demolition specialization, swoop in fast grav chute insertion, and then lob demo charges at what ever is in range..

probably not competitive, but demolition charges make me smile.

Who needs demo charges when you can have three TL las cannons on the upgunned valk?

The Grey Guy
22-03-2009, 10:37
I think i'll echo a previous post about chaos space marines, they are able to adequately fulfill all your set criteria quite easily.

- Strong troop choices in either cult troopers (plague marines, berzerkers) or standard chaos marines

- Army is rather elite in nature making them lean towards being quality orientated

- Has the potential be be very mobile via cheap rhinos, access to jump packs/wings, infiltration, deep striking, etc

- Can be very adaptive, most units can be made to excel in a single role however can fulfill other roles to a satisfactory degree (i.e. unit of standard chaos marines armed with double meltas. Ideal tank hunters yet equally able to hold their own in a charge or close combat with their base 2 attacks)

As an aside though just interested to know what you found boring about daemons. I have an army of them myself and find their general randomness as well as being able to pop up from anywhere to be quite fun :)

At any rate good luck making your choice and hope you find something that keeps things exciting for you

isaac
22-03-2009, 12:02
Buy AoBR, you get the starting points of two armies along with all the other stuff (Mini rulebook, dice, templates, whippy sticks). It is probably the cheapest way of trying the two forces and if want to expand them, just add another starter box and/or a battleforce.

Cythus
22-03-2009, 12:50
SM army with shrike:

all units have fleet and on top of that you have rhinos, drop pods etc