PDA

View Full Version : WYSIWYG for magic weapons on characters

MisterHeavy
12-12-2005, 19:34
I'm curious how strict the WYSIWYG requirements are for fantasy characters' weapons. I'm wanting to put a magical great-weapon on my ogre butcher. It's an all metal figure, and there is no official bit produced to represent the magic weapon in question. I could get my jeweler's saw and go through a pretty huge conversion project, but it seems unlikely that people in general go to that much trouble.

So I put it to the boards:
1) How strict are you / how strict is your club with WYSIWYG for characters' weapons?

2) In general, how strict are tournaments with WYSIWYG for character's weapons?

Thanks for any replies.

SuperBeast
12-12-2005, 19:40
As long as it looks like the mundane equivalent, I'd say you were fine.

Certainly in our gaming group we have a concord that we do not declare magic items until they are used, and you go by the model's armament.

m1s1n
12-12-2005, 19:44
Since I only play with friends we do not enforce the WYSIWYG guidelines for equipment. I think this actually allows for a lot more fun and creative armies.

Lady's Champion
12-12-2005, 19:45
i never represent because i often change my list and i can't keep changign my models. I will usually tell my opponent what items they have that should be represented if it is silly tho!

Drasanil
12-12-2005, 20:03
There are no WYSIWYG requirement for magics items, because GW realised that to enforce such a policy would require extentsive amounts of conversion work and no doubt result in many complaints from gamers who think GW didn't produce character models appropriate for their particular item combo.

There are just far too many combinations and possibilities when it comes to Magic Items that WYSIWYG is impracticle at best...

Selsaral
12-12-2005, 20:19
1) For our gaming group, a movement tray with a post-it on it saying "21 clanrat slaves with musician" is entirely adequate, so to have the actual model (regardless of specific armament) would be so glorious as to overshadow whether the model is even painted or not, much less carrying the right magical weapon.

2) You can see why we don't play in many tournaments hehe.

Keller
12-12-2005, 20:28
My philosophy is that its nice to have the model armed with whatever he actually carries, but it isn't nessecary. I like to equip my captains with halberds, so I got halberd models for them. However, I occasionally use a greatweapon on my count, instead of the usual pistol, but have no such model for that. Should I decide to use a GW, or even a magic weapon, I just tell my opponent in advance that the model is not 100% accurate. Since I am not a fan of lances on my models, but rarely take magic weapon, my pegasus captain has a sword and shield, though I generally play it as a lance.

Frankly, units are of bigger concern than characters. Characters vary so much, but they are always somehting to be reckoned with. But letting a unit go by cause you thought they had spears, but they really have great weapons, is a real problem when they get the charge on you.

We don't have any policies on requiring units/models to be shown with all of the right gear, but we tend not to be too secretive over anything either.

Mad Makz
12-12-2005, 20:38
I agree, especially as Magic Items don't usually carry over their Mundane abilities. You could just replace the name of the great weapon magic item in question with something else (e.g Borguts Ruinous Cleaver) With all the same rules and you're fine (i.e if it does count as a great weapon, rather than just being named along those lines, come up with some rationalisation as to why the weapon strikes last and requires two hands? Perhaps one hand has to be free for ingredients for it to work.)

This sort of 'counts as' practice for magic items is often done to add flavour to characters, especially in tournament armies (where the best combination available might not quite reflect the look you are going after) or heavily 'themed' armies where no official rules exist for the theme (I had a unit of plague monks in count as 'Mechanical Monstrosities' in a clan skryre army, they were converted our of Necrons and Clanrats, the Plague Priests 'bands of power' was a 'Warp Strength Magnifier' same name, same rules, clearly identifiable models, but completely different theme)

MisterHeavy
12-12-2005, 21:36
Thanks for the responses. I'll do a weapon swap for a great weapon, but I won't bother trying to make it look exactly the way that particular great weapon is described in the book. That should do the trick.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
13-12-2005, 18:35
Converting Magic Items isn't really an issue in my club. Although my general has a big club to represent either a great weapon or fumpa's club of fumpin. Etc.

Gorbad Ironclaw
14-12-2005, 10:47
So I put it to the boards:
1) How strict are you / how strict is your club with WYSIWYG for characters' weapons?

2) In general, how strict are tournaments with WYSIWYG for character's weapons?

Thanks for any replies.

That would be not at all and, not at all.

As was pointed out, there are no WYSIWYG for magic item, it's explicitly excepted in the rulebook.

The name of any given item doesn't really mean anything. It could be anything you want it to be, with the given properties in the rules.

A magic weapon that takes two hands would of course be nice if the model was given a two-handed weapon, but it's not required.

WYSIWYG is more of a guideline anyway. As long as it's not confusing it doesn't really matter IMO.

I use a unit of Executioners as a unit of Grave Guards with shields. The models got great weapons they don't have in the game, but lack the shields they do have. I never had anyone object or even question it at all.

MadJackMcJack
14-12-2005, 17:28
The only hard and fast rule here is that you MUST have an army list with magic gear written down, to prevent new equipment magically appearing out of thin air. Or at the very least, write it down somewhere.