PDA

View Full Version : Clarification requested

Growler67
20-03-2009, 10:26
So I'm reading up and gaining some background on Inquisitor. My quandry is this: Is there character progression (gaining experience and "leveling" for lack of a better term) as in D&D, or is it just characters vs the senario?

I've seen at a local gamestore a "Character Folio". Does one build a character and engage/employ it in a career of sorts to eventually gain new abilities or improve stats via some kind of leveling? Once *amount* on experience points are gained roll *amount* of dice to increase *amount* of stats or choose as an alternative from a list of abilities? Or does the GM declare what: Wargear, Weapons, Abilities or Stat Increase(s) are available for success during the scenario?

I played some D&D many MANY years ago and I though it was cool and all, but there was a core group of players so a "campaign" of sorts could be endeavored as a party even if at a given game a member or two was absent. If it is THAT detailed I think I'll just back off and stick to modeling as pick-up games seem not to fit in with what I think this is all about.

Thanks in advance.

Xelloss
20-03-2009, 11:33
Check the 2nd pdf of the rules (GW site : inquisitor ressources) on page 43. The experience system isn't base on Xp but on realisation/performance during the game.

D&D system is good for a computer game, but very bad IMO for a pen & paper RPG.

Growler67
20-03-2009, 12:37
Okay so it depends on where the GM impliments it and generally only an optional facet in "campaign" style play. So basically the general gameplay is characters (as built and equiped) try to meet/beat the scenario with what they have then, right?

precinctomega
20-03-2009, 14:30
Is there character progression (gaining experience and "leveling" for lack of a better term) as in D&D, or is it just characters vs the senario?

Rules were written for this but they suck. Character development is best left in the hands of the player. If you want to have a character "move on", then let him. If you don't, then don't.

I've seen at a local gamestore a "Character Folio".

You're looking at material for Dark Heresy, which isn't Inquisitor. DH is a conventional - and very good - roleplay game. INQ is a skirmish wargame. If you want to play an RPG, I cannot recommend DH highly enough. But if you want to play a skirmish wargame, then play INQ. And stop worrying about experience.

I played some D&D many MANY years ago and I though it was cool and all, but there was a core group of players so a "campaign" of sorts could be endeavored as a party even if at a given game a member or two was absent.

INQ campaigns are great and I heartily recommend them. The best thing about a good campaign is that you can play out the whole game in a day or over two or three gaming sessions, as a typical games lasts 45 mins to an hour (unlike a session of an RPG, which usually takes 3-4 hours). You can find some examples at http://www.darkmagenta.co.uk/ and at http://www.geocities.com/precinctomega/inquis/inquis.htm .

That said, most of the time, I prefer to play pick-up games which I then slot into the narrative of my characters' lives - what's sometimes referred to as a "narrative campaign".

R.

Growler67
20-03-2009, 15:05
Okay, I see where my confusion is. I'm crossing information from DH and Inq. Thanks. In regards to that model on the right, what is it? Is there a database of what models people have used to mod characters from (regardless of range)? For example, if you are looking to make an IG soldier or SM Scout use *model* legs, *model* torso and so on. Customization for weapons like knives and such can be anything from anywhere, but base structural parts are what I'd like more info on.

kaled
20-03-2009, 15:32
Is there a database of what models people have used to mod characters from (regardless of range)?I'm not sure what use such a thing would be - there are tons of different character types that it would be impossible to catalogue all the different possible combinations. For example, in my collection I have about five miniatures that represent the 'stormtrooper' archetype, but they are all very different in appearance and the next time I build a 'stormtrooper' he might be completely different again. Or look at the Sgt Stone model - he's an IG veteran, but he looks nothing like the IG you commonly see in 40k.

Your best bet, if you're stuck for how to build a character is to ask the advice of people on here (or better yet on the Conclave - see my sig) - they'll no doubt supply you with tons of ideas and are always willing to explain how they built their characters.

- Dave

RichBlake
20-03-2009, 16:44
In my local club someone invented an experience system that rewards certain actions with experience points to relevant skills (to avoid the Necromunda "OH look, my sniper gained +1 weapon skill..." syndrome). The more complicated system also made character picks a sort of "archtype" and these skills would go up quicker.

Some examples:

Survived the game: +1 exp to nerve or leadership
Killed an enemy: +1 exp to nerve
Shot a weapon: +1 exp to BS
Fought in close combat: +1 to WS
Used a psychic power: +1 to WP

And stuff like that. Each exp point represents a dice roll however the dice used differs depending on level:

Skill:
<50 = D10
50-74 = D6
>74 = D3

It's important to not though you only get exp for the action once. For example if I kill 3 enemies I only get +1 to WS for it.

It works quite well, but Inquisitor was never really designed to be a roleplaying game.