PDA

View Full Version : Rules Questions - Advice needed!

Levett
20-03-2009, 13:44
Hi All,

Myself and a few buddies have taken to Inquisitor and created a Deathwatch Kill Team led by an inquisitor. We've got the balance set now for our opponents, and each mission is generally very challenging, resulting in at least 1-2 out of the 5 of us going unconcious a few times throughout the game, and we've even had 2 marines perma die!

The problem we're coming up against is resolving mass firing. If you could please read the below example, and then see my questions, I'd be grateful for some advice.

Example:

Billy the Dire Avenger has 5 actions, and decides he is going to do the following:

Rest his Weapon
Aim at one of the Marines
Fire on full Auto
Fire on Full Auto
Fire on full Auto

By some fluke, he passes all of his action tests, and manages to fire 3 times on full auto. This would mean a whopping 60 shots!!! This takes a rediculous amount of time to resolve, or am I missing something here??

I'm trying to speed this up for my gamers, as we each control one character, so when you have 4 players and 1 GM, its boring to watch the GM chuck dice around for 5 minutes per Xenos that decides to shoot. So onto my questions:

Am I doing this correctly as per the example above?
Is there a logical way I could speed the process up?

Thanks in advance guys n gals :)

precinctomega
20-03-2009, 14:24
This takes a rediculous amount of time to resolve, or am I missing something here??

You're not missing anything. Except, of course, the chance to playtest the INQ2 rules for full auto, featured on the Conclave... ;)

Am I doing this correctly as per the example above?

Yes you are. Full auto takes a helluva long time to resolve in the current rules.

Is there a logical way I could speed the process up?

Yep. Hang on, I'll cut and paste:

Firing on full auto (usually just referred to as “full”) means squeezing the trigger and letting rip in a pretty random fashion. This works in a very different way to normal firing, to represent its particular advantages and disadvantages. To fire on full, nominate a target group. All characters in the target group must be within 5 yards of at least one other character in the target group, and they must all be within the character’s arc of vision. If you wish, you may elect to fire at ‘spaces’, in which case the empty space counts as another character in the target group, but obviously if the space is hit, the shots are wasted.

Important Note: The firing character cannot choose to ignore other models in his line of fire. Any character who is to the right of the leftmost target in the group, to the left of the rightmost target and within 5 yards of at least one target in the group must automatically be included in the group.

Once the target group is established, determine the hit roll score as normal (including all modifiers for range, movement etc) and then reduce the hit roll score by -10. Then add +5 per target (including spaces) in the target group. Firing on full never benefits from aiming.

Full fire will always make a number of shots per shooting Action equal to the weapon’s full value and cannot fire more or fewer shots.

Once the target group has been determined, make the hit roll. One hit is scored for each part of 10 the hit roll beats the hit roll score.

All targets in the target group, whether hit or not, must take a pinning test. If at least one target in the target group (including spaces) was hit then all targets count as having been hit for the purposes of causing pinning and all other modifiers apply as normal.

Hit location and damage are calculated normally, but shots fired as part of a full salvo can never be placed shots.

Example: Inquisitor Shyloque (BS 81) fires an autogun on full(10) at a target group of three characters and one space. Range, accuracy, movement and the standard -10 modifier incur a total modifier of -30, but Shyloque gets a +20 bonus for firing at a group of 4. In total, therefore, he has a hit roll score of 71. He rolls a 37, hitting with four of ten shots. The target group is: character – space – character – character. Randomly allocating the hits, we find that he hits the nearest character twice, the middle character once and one hit is wasted on the space. Meanwhile, the last guy dives for cover!

The rules for automatic misses still apply to full. A roll of 96-00 will mean that all shots have missed, regardless of the hit roll score. An automatic hit (01-05) will mean that all the shots hit, regardless of the hit roll score. The only exception is if the character can only hit will an automatic hit, in which case only one shot from the salvo has hit – he’s already pushing his luck!

Of course, if you roll an unmodified 01-05, you still have a lot of location rolls to make. But that's life.

Also, with all shooting it's worth remembering that each salvo (i.e. Action of shooting) is resolved entirely (including all damage and pinning) before moving on to the next one. So when firing on full, it's entirely likely that the second or third Action of firing may never be resolved as all targets have dived for cover or gone down to a previous burst.

R.

RichBlake
20-03-2009, 16:36
Also, with all shooting it's worth remembering that each salvo (i.e. Action of shooting) is resolved entirely (including all damage and pinning) before moving on to the next one. So when firing on full, it's entirely likely that the second or third Action of firing may never be resolved as all targets have dived for cover or gone down to a previous burst.

R.

I think thats the biggest point to remember. Anything left standing after you've shot at them with full auto is either stupid or really tough (or both).

Also remember stuff like this is what the GM is for. If you're supposed to roll for the 60 shots then the GM can always do something inventive to prevent the game getting bogged down.

kaled
20-03-2009, 16:52
I think thats the biggest point to remember. Anything left standing after you've shot at them with full auto is either stupid or really toughOr miraculously unharmed - a fairly common result given the inaccuracy of full auto fire using the LRB rules and the generally high Nv stats that people tend to give their characters.

Ynek
21-03-2009, 02:36
I've always found that multiple-dice rolls can be sped up infinitely by buying multiple sets of colour-coded D100s. I found mine on Ebay, but I'm pretty sure you could find plenty of them in game-stores and related websites.

(To clarify: I have a blue D100 with a corresponding blue D10, and a white D100 with a white D10. In fact, I have nine different coloured D100+D10s, so I can therefore roll nine percentile dice rolls simultaneously, as I will always know which D100 corresponds to which D10.)

This is a very simple and easy way to speed up any repetitive dice-rolling - Be it injuries, old-school full auto, or something that I can't think of at 1:40 in the morning....

However, I would like to voice my support for PO's full-auto rules. They really do speed things up immensely, and make the game run a lot quicker and less complex.