PDA

View Full Version : The IG looks like a great army

a squig
20-03-2009, 18:42
I was in my local store when they got there next back box and in it was the new IG book

Alot of the new things looks compleatley devasating with new Russ varients special rules.

i think this codex will change IG from Beating boys to a Very scary and i mean Very. i love the idea of 9 valkrys flying around the board ro the tune of ride of the valkarys.

anyway Ig stuck convert aside, apart from the bandwaggon rush for a few months do you reckon that IG will now become one of the most used and verstaile forces out.

has anyone else seen the new book and what do you think

Latro_
20-03-2009, 18:56
Some pts costs have started filtering through, all the pimped up stuff seems to get a medium price hike, so its not gonna be the overpowered affair everyone thinks.

:)

Mannimarco
20-03-2009, 19:07
i dont think they will become overused, remember the guard need a lot of troops, this will put them outside the price range of lots of kids and bandwagon jumpers

look at it like this: your basic guard army usually has 100+ infantry, thats now £12 for 10 when the prince increases or £18 for 20 now

A.S.modai
20-03-2009, 19:25
I think certain low model count/competitive lists will emerge and those may be the bandwagoneers.

most of us dream of having an air cav force but financially it's not feasible for a lot of people.

Mannimarco
20-03-2009, 19:29
personally i have over 6000 points worth of them and im still not done, im going to use the new codex to represent the narmenian 1st as they appeared in the necropolis book so need more mars pattern tanks, chimeras and kasrkin (at least another 70+)

Marneus Calgar
20-03-2009, 21:54
I was in my local store when they got there next back box and in it was the new IG book

Alot of the new things looks compleatley devasating with new Russ varients special rules.

i think this codex will change IG from Beating boys to a Very scary and i mean Very. i love the idea of 9 valkrys flying around the board ro the tune of ride of the valkarys.

anyway Ig stuck convert aside, apart from the bandwaggon rush for a few months do you reckon that IG will now become one of the most used and verstaile forces out.

has anyone else seen the new book and what do you think

If you can achieve using 9 Valkyries on a reasonable sized table effectively, more props to you. A Valkyrie is bigger than a banebade and floats on a 6 inch tall base. I am having trouble imagining what it would take to hide a single Valkyrie behind cover. I have come to the realization that anything short of a personal computer would not be suffice.

I am going to be looking forward to using Ebay a month or two after the Imperial Guard Codex comes out. ;)

Bunnahabhain
21-03-2009, 03:41
Painted, I'm sure it will look like a great army.

In gaming terms, if all the recent bits of news are true, I think the power level will not increase significantly, and the number of 'nice sounding, but nigh-on useless' units and option in the codex will scarcely fall.

My plan is to take the weekend off from checking rumours, and then on monday, walk into my local GW, ask to see the new book, with the simple reasoning I will pre-order it if it's OK, but want to know what I'm buying.

The Gothic Me
21-03-2009, 03:49
Looking at the latest rumors, I don't see there being much of a risk of Guard becoming an overly competitive army, seems like they are more likely to remain the underpowered whipping boys they are now. But I don't want to jump to conclusions there either.

laudarkul
21-03-2009, 07:26
IG is a great army...It's fun playing now and with the new codex/models will be much more interesting (a lot of army lists to test:) ). It will not be overpowered I think.

Devil Tree
21-03-2009, 08:19
Besides a few oddball builds that get past the writers I don’t think they’ll be over powered either. While GW seems to gleefully give other armies all kinds of cheap crazy stuff, they are always very careful and conservative when it comes to the Guard. It’s almost like they don’t want to grant too much power or influence to someone they’ve abused in the past, because they’re afraid they’ll have the tables turned on them. :eyebrows:

Anyways, at least they had the decency to lower the point cost of basic troops. That alone will go a long way to addressing some of the balance issues, even if some of the special units, equipment and options are still quite expensive.

a squig
21-03-2009, 17:49
also the idea of scouting hellhounds vs a horad army will be very funny to watch.