PDA

View Full Version : Which IG faction has the best models? (Including the newest ones)

souljaking09
20-03-2009, 20:48
Make sure you consider the new command squads and stuff.

Sorry for closing everything. Last time since 10 is the limit. No more can be added.

POST AFTER YOU VOTE SO THIS WILL BE AT THE TOP OF THE LIST TO GET MORE VOTES.

Hrw-Amen
20-03-2009, 20:55
What about the Attilans? They may not have many actual models but they are rather good looking!

Laser guided fanatic
20-03-2009, 20:56
What about the Attilans? They may not have many actual models but they are rather good looking!

Don't say that he'll create yet another thread of the same nature.

souljaking09
20-03-2009, 20:58

The poll has a limit of 10 options so I think I got the main ones. Plus, Atillans are just for rough riders. I think those are all of the main ones though.

Obviously, I voted CATACHANS.

Mordagos
20-03-2009, 21:00
I love the vostroyans, they look really cool in their armour and wearing those respirators and furry hats. But I absolutely hate the command standard bearer, it looks so out of place half naked.

Mannimarco
20-03-2009, 21:05
he's proving his toughness! looks at a marine sargeant running around with no helmet points and laughs, says watch this then gets half naked!

still voting death korp

souljaking09
20-03-2009, 21:13
he's proving his toughness! looks at a marine sargeant running around with no helmet points and laughs, says watch this then gets half naked!

still voting death korp

I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I really think the whole oldschool look with gas masks on those vostroyans looks stupid. the hats are oversized. if you like em though, that's what the poll is for.

Mannimarco
20-03-2009, 21:19
you misunderstand, im voting death korp, its the classic ww1 german look, its very dark and imposing

i was gently poking fun at the half naked russian knock off vostroyan

souljaking09
20-03-2009, 21:34
So far it's pretty even except for death korps pulling out in front.

Somerandomidiot
20-03-2009, 21:36
Gonna go with Elysians, considering I've got ~2000 points of them (and I wouldn't have chosen them if they didn't look darn good). Also, their Sentinel is by far the best looking. I think the more modern troop style attracts me, as I was always a little put off by the WW1 look and tactics of the guard.

souljaking09
20-03-2009, 21:37
Don't death korps and steel legion have very similar models.?

souljaking09
20-03-2009, 21:39
Gonna go with Elysians, considering I've got ~2000 points of them (and I wouldn't have chosen them if they didn't look darn good). Also, their Sentinel is by far the best looking. I think the more modern troop style attracts me, as I was always a little put off by the WW1 look and tactics of the guard.

Which kind of guard? Cadians and Catachans have a modern look.

Seargent K
20-03-2009, 21:41
I voted Cadians.Many people understimate their look but I like their "modern" look.
PS they are plastic too..

Vaktathi
20-03-2009, 21:42
Death Korps of Krieg, by far.

There's a reason I sunk all that money into those models :D

Somerandomidiot
20-03-2009, 21:42
Which kind of guard? Cadians and Catachans have a modern look.

I find Cadians to be more of a WW2 look, and Catachans are definitely Vietnam.

souljaking09
20-03-2009, 21:44
I voted Cadians.Many people understimate their look but I like their "modern" look.
PS they are plastic too..

I'm a catachan guy, but I find the metals somewhat easier to paint. I do have some of the old metal ones in my army.

I thought this would be a cool poll because everyone is always biTchin about each other's models.

Light of the Emperor
20-03-2009, 21:45
Still Vostroyans for me. Then again, what else would you expect?

beerdrinker
20-03-2009, 21:46
Steel Legion...Im biased.

Seargent K
20-03-2009, 22:00
I like Cadians for these reasons:
1)I like their look
2)plastic(Heavy and Special weapons options)
3)easy for convertions
4)cheaper(!!)
5)variety of models and units in Codex
Catachans have tha same advantages with the exception that I don't really like them.

Vostroyans,DKoG etc may have really nice minis and backround but they have a high price and are difficult to convert.

Legionary
20-03-2009, 22:03
I voted for the Praetorians. They are an absolutely beautiful army on the table, and a very characterful one. I wish they still did them.

souljaking09
20-03-2009, 22:05
I voted for the Praetorians. They are an absolutely beautiful army on the table, and a very characterful one. I wish they still did them.

praetorians are probably my second choice to catachans. too bad it is nearly impossible to get an army now.

DarkMatter2
20-03-2009, 22:09
1. Death Korps of Krieg
2. Armageddon Steel Legion
3. Mordian Iron Guard
4. Elysian Drop Troops
5. Cadian Shock Troops
6. Catachan Jungle Fighters
7. Tallarn Desert Raiders
8. Praetorians
9. Valhallan Ice Warriors
10. Vostroyans

Thats how I would rank it.

Rangerrob
20-03-2009, 22:10
Mordians...

All the talk about the upcoming Codex has me FINALLY painting mine. 10+ years on a shelf is long enough don't cha think. ;)

Hypaspist
20-03-2009, 22:10
There can only be one.....

Resin gold, the Death Korps of Kreig are just beautiful, by FAR the best Imperial Guard models in existence ever.

Mannimarco
20-03-2009, 22:15
not a lot of love for the cadians, i see them as close to modern day military (look at iraq, just lose the funnu shoulder pads and your not a million miles away)

Captin Korea!
20-03-2009, 22:16
Tallarn because there something awesome about them.

bert n ernie
20-03-2009, 22:18
Until I saw this poll I didn't realise that I actually prefer Valhallans to all others.
I have quite a few of them, and they were the first box I bought back in the early 90's.

Shangrila
20-03-2009, 22:26
Cadians have the most customization, with aftermarket heads and all.(and the most affordable thanks to Apocalypse Infantry box!)

Krieg has the coolest standard models though.

tuebor
20-03-2009, 22:30
not a lot of love for the cadians, i see them as close to modern day military (look at iraq, just lose the funnu shoulder pads and your not a million miles away)

Not necessarily. I was supposed to wear these the last time I was over there.

http://www.garrettcontainer.com/body_armor/deltoid_protection.html

I have Cadians but I absolutely love the Tallarn. If they weren't so hideously expensive I'd have an army of them.

RampagingRavener
20-03-2009, 22:35
Vostroyans, easily; they actually look properly Imperial, something that many of the other Guard infantry lines lack. As well as the fact they're wonderful looking, detailed models. The Cadian and Catachan sets are as ugly as sin, IMO, I'd honestly rank the Dark Eldar Warriors set above them...

They day GW do plastic Vostroyans, or even better, plastic Savlar Chem-dogs, I'll be all over the Guard in moments.

EDIT: But I still feel this is one of the best looks for the Imperial Guard I've ever seen.

Raxmei
20-03-2009, 22:37
Aside from the silly helmets and the greaves Cadians actually have less armor coverage than current US Army. Our vest covers from chin to waist and has a really silly groin flap. DAPS cover the shoulders and arm down to a bit above the elbow. Of course this discounts the construction of the uniform itself. I understand that IG have flak armor incorporated into the weave of their uniforms, while our armor is only the obvious armor bits.

captainramoz
20-03-2009, 22:37
I vote elisian cause they look like stormtroper and have awsome helmets
Still if i play guard iīll use catachans(and i anxiously wait to see their new command squad for sale).

Sir_Turalyon
20-03-2009, 22:43
I partialy agree with RampagingRavener, the "Codex Imperialis Guard" is best you can get *opens image again just to take another look*. (Partialy because I can't believe you mention this guy and Vostryans, who look like his cheap imitations, in one post ;) ).

As of "factions" with models, that would be classic metal cadians, but that vote would be confused with solid but uninspired plastic ones.

So I vote on third best, the mordians.

Kurisu313
20-03-2009, 23:20
Strange...I left a comment earlier, it must have got eaten.

I voted catachans, because I like the rough and ready look as opposed to the more uniform and regimented feel of the other regiments.

Also, because of that badass artwork of the catachan flamer in the guard 'dex!

djinn8
20-03-2009, 23:40
Well I'm going to avoid the FW models since they're obviously going to be better than the GW models and vote for both Catachan and Cadian (they have a nice look when bashed together)

sigur
20-03-2009, 23:43
I partialy agree with RampagingRavener, the "Codex Imperialis Guard" is best you can get *opens image again just to take another look*.

Seconded.

Generally speaking, I like all regiments really. DKoK are a bit annoying because they are so darned popular and Cadians are boring in every respect but the metal ranges are very good in my opinion.

DarkMatter2
20-03-2009, 23:44
EDIT: But I still feel this is one of the best looks for the Imperial Guard I've ever seen.

Thats a bit too bulky and OTT IMHO.

The Greatcoat Guard thing has officially been done to death at this point. I would like to see a new model range that branched off in a new direction.

robnixon
21-03-2009, 00:09
first imperial guard army i ever saw were praetorians, i still have the white dwarf where they do a battle for rorkes drift scenario, and they show the isandlawana scenraio pics aswell, its was such a good looking army, and i loved the models and paint scheme, i mean thin red line, always one of my favourite things in history

Triggerdog
21-03-2009, 00:25
Krieg, no contest

Darkane
21-03-2009, 00:31
For me, there is no question about it. The best models are easily Forgeworld's Death Korps of Krieg. They also have one of the most complete and easily attainable (if you've got the money that is) ranges there is out of the current guard offerings.

Second to that, I'd say the Elysians. I love the high tech look they have going on. My least favorite would be the Vostroyans.

40kdhs
21-03-2009, 00:40
Death Korps of Krieg is the final answer. They look awesome even though they are expensive to buy.

boogle
21-03-2009, 00:47
Elysian for me, they like the Kreig ar properly proportioned

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
21-03-2009, 01:25
Steel Legionnaires, by a long head. My love also extends to all the (somewhat) in-scale metal Guard- Vostroyans are pretty alone, but make my Legionnaires look like skinny midgets.

blackroyal
21-03-2009, 01:27
Elysian Drop Troops are very "pretty". I like Mordians just a little bit less. The thing is I can afford the Mordians. I voted Elysian.

JCOLL
21-03-2009, 01:43
I gotta say Vostroyans, as I've spent too much money on them anyway and it would be a shame to not to admit it :) I find something I like with all of them though. That's my problem with this blasted game, I like a little of everything. My game room is a testament to this. Just don't trip on the boxes when you walk in ;)

souljaking09
21-03-2009, 01:50
I gotta say Vostroyans, as I've spent too much money on them anyway and it would be a shame to not to admit it :) I find something I like with all of them though. That's my problem with this blasted game, I like a little of everything. My game room is a testament to this. Just don't trip on the boxes when you walk in ;)

I sort of guessed by your signature quote.;)

pwrgmrguard
21-03-2009, 01:54
My first IG infantry were Armageddon, and they remain my favorite, the mix of Soviet/WWI/German WWII/ is amazing to me, and i love playing vehicle heavy companies.

I do not have them painted as armageddonites though, Bubonic Brown, Bleached Bone, Catachan Green w/scorched brown and black details.

souljaking09
21-03-2009, 02:02
Death Korps of Krieg is the final answer. They look awesome even though they are expensive to buy.

I think that is interesting that a forge world army won. I figured it would have been between cadians and catachans. As much as I like catachans, I figured cadians would win. Death Korps won in a landslide. I will have to look them up. I have actually never seen one. I thought they looked like steel legion. I guess I'm wrong.

T_55
21-03-2009, 02:04
Hate the death korp. Praetorians for me.

souljaking09
21-03-2009, 02:09
Hate the death korp. Praetorians for me.

I like praetorians better than death korp as well. Catachans are my first choice. Praetorians take second for my personal opinion.

death korp reminds me of helghast or something. Just not my preference. Clearly I am in the minority though.

Laurela
21-03-2009, 02:11
Catachans for sure 8).
Rambooo

T_55
21-03-2009, 02:18
I like praetorians better than death korp as well. Catachans are my first choice. Praetorians take second for my personal opinion.

death korp reminds me of helghast or something. Just not my preference. Clearly I am in the minority though.

I quite like the catachan's theme myself but i've never been able to paint their large amounts of skin properly :p

souljaking09
21-03-2009, 02:24
I'm just trying to figure out how tallarn deser raiders and valhallans are better than catachans. You have got to be kidding me.:wtf:

T_55
21-03-2009, 02:46
I guess great coat models are pretty high on demand, hence the few valhallan votes?

Serg. Lynchbox
21-03-2009, 02:51
death korp rules... you gota love the gasmasks and their uniform. I wish I could afford them though.... :/

souljaking09
21-03-2009, 03:09
death korp rules... you gota love the gasmasks and their uniform. I wish I could afford them though.... :/

Isn't that the same as steel legion?:confused:

I'm surprised with even the new command squad, not that many people voted catachans.

Fafner_Ni
21-03-2009, 03:17
Death Korps of Kreig, Cadians with respirators, and steel legion.(faceless guard ftw)

souljaking09
21-03-2009, 03:39
Even with the beret and soft cap guy in the catachan command squad, catachans are still getting no votes.:(

Nexus Trimean
21-03-2009, 03:52
Steel Legion, which will be painted as mechanus skitarii.

Oberst Viktor Morte
21-03-2009, 03:55
Death Korps are my favourite (hence an army of them), followed narrowly by Elysians (who I plan I starting an army of).

Behind that I'd say that the 3rd edition Stormtroopers and Kasrkins are some of my favourites, which can be used as their own army, and then gasmask/veteran Cadians (with shotguns).

Beyond that there's a lot of good lines of miniatures, but it's hard to choose between them. The one I dislike the least is likely the Moridians. And while I really like the new Catachan command squad, the rest of the line really brings them down. If they all looked like those five new guys, they'd be a great looking army.

If you don't like the Death Korps, you should take a look back at the Engineers and Death Riders, some of my favourite models. Also, the heavy weapon teams and artillery crewmen are some of the best sets I've seen, even if they're just standing there doing nothing.

souljaking09
21-03-2009, 05:45
I'm shocked catachans have only 4 votes so far. Luckily the poll continues for a week so we can get everyone's opinion.

HK-47
21-03-2009, 05:46
I voted Krieg manly for the reasons Oberst Viktor Morte already stated. Its the models that draw me in, if another regiment had such well done models I would vote for them to.

souljaking09
21-03-2009, 06:06
I voted Krieg manly for the reasons Oberst Viktor Morte already stated. Its the models that draw me in, if another regiment had such well done models I would vote for them to.

well, that was the point of the poll. so since you like death korp models, you voted for them.

Explodingboy
21-03-2009, 06:28
For the poll I put Elysians, I would love to have the cash to put together an army of them, (admittedly with the plastic Valk, I may well stoop to buy a squad or two soon.)

Otherwise I would go for Cadians, seeing as I have 2 Cadian armies on the go at the moment, one of the old metal models (by far some of the best in my opinion) and one with the new plastics, (heavily hacked and greenstuffed, because I'm abit meh towards the American Footballer armor look)

souljaking09
21-03-2009, 06:42
For the poll I put Elysians, I would love to have the cash to put together an army of them, (admittedly with the plastic Valk, I may well stoop to buy a squad or two soon.)

Otherwise I would go for Cadians, seeing as I have 2 Cadian armies on the go at the moment, one of the old metal models (by far some of the best in my opinion) and one with the new plastics, (heavily hacked and greenstuffed, because I'm abit meh towards the American Footballer armor look)

I think it looks cool to mix the old metal ones and plastics. I'm doing that for my catachan project.

Hicks
21-03-2009, 06:55
It's no surprise, my vote went to the Steel Legion.

laudarkul
21-03-2009, 07:14
I have a lots of Cadian, also 3 squads of SL and a squad of Valhallan; but the DKoK looks damn well...Too damn that SL are from metal and converting them is beyond my skills:(.

Explodingboy
21-03-2009, 07:15
I think it looks cool to mix the old metal ones and plastics. I'm doing that for my catachan project.

The Cadians old and new don't really match up too well, I've considered putting them all into one big army, but I really don't see it working too well. Not that I mind, the metal force is going to be fairly standard, big platoons and battle tanks, while the plastic Cadians are becoming a smaller elite infantry with close air support, with an Urban color scheme.

eek107
21-03-2009, 11:50
Steel Legion for sure. They were released just as I got into the hobby, and they got me hooked on the IG. I've been collecting them ever since. I think both the infantry and tanks look fantastic in the studio colour scheme - better than any I've seen since for any regiment.

Laser guided fanatic
21-03-2009, 13:51
Tbh catachans only look good when it's a deathworld army and painted like the camo guy in the codex.

Crazy Ivan
21-03-2009, 14:52
Vostroyans! Moustaches, greatcoats, big furry hats and the coolest rebreathers in the entire range, what's not to love? Although the relative lack of variety can be a bit of a pain, unfortunately.

If I could have voted twice I'd have included Cadians just for the modelling potential (especially with the new Command Squad). The new Catachan Command squad is nice, but if I buy some Catachans it'll be for Penal Legionnaires (wearing bright orange flak vests... :) ) and to convert some Veterans.

carldooley
21-03-2009, 15:17
ever since I watched Jin Roh I've been a fan of that armored look, and while I would probably use praetorians for the core of my force if I was to go IG, I'd definitely use the krieg models with underslung autoguns and autocannons for kill and sweeper teams.

Kelderaith
22-03-2009, 00:22
I would say

1st) Death Korp of Krieg (a by a fair amount)
2nd) Praetorian
3rd) Tallarn Desert Raider (the FW ones at the very least)
4th) Elysian
5th) Cadian (which can look nice if painted right)

After that I just wouldn't really imagine me playing any other IG regiment. They are not bad in themselves, it is just that I prefer the five above so I would probably start an army of the above before anything else.

Fire Harte
22-03-2009, 00:37
Vostroyans! I like snow so I like these guys a lot. I'd make an army of them but I then see the price. :cries:

Shield of Freedom
22-03-2009, 00:49
Why does everyone like the greatcoat Guard? I just don't get it. As far as Forgeworld guard units go I prefer the Elysians over the Deathguad. I just don't think they look very cool or Sci-Fi. I like my "future soldiers with laser guns" look. So, I prefer the current plastic Cadians (that's who I voted for) and the Elysians were my second pick as far as Imperial Guard regiments go.

Bleh on greatcoats. WWI trenchers in space are not for me.

blackroyal
22-03-2009, 01:41
Tbh catachans only look good when it's a deathworld army and painted like the camo guy in the codex.
They look pretty good in an orange/white prison uniform scheme as well.

MrP
22-03-2009, 02:12
Why does everyone like the greatcoat Guard? I just don't get it. As far as Forgeworld guard units go I prefer the Elysians over the Deathguad. I just don't think they look very cool or Sci-Fi. I like my "future soldiers with laser guns" look. So, I prefer the current plastic Cadians (that's who I voted for) and the Elysians were my second pick as far as Imperial Guard regiments go.

Bleh on greatcoats. WWI trenchers in space are not for me.

Answering only for myself, I'm a WWI freak. So I like the Krieg chaps. I doubt that explains everyone else, though. Unless lots more people have started watching Blackadder of late.

Nym
22-03-2009, 02:22
I voted Death Korp, the details on those minies really put them forward any other army.

On a side note, if you're trying to boost your post count Souljaking, you're not being very subtle. 20 posts so far in this thread alone, sometimes consecutively...

MadJackMcJack
22-03-2009, 02:24
I've always liked Cadians myself. They've got an air of professionalism that I like. Plus Kasrkins are probably my favourite non-ork model.

Codsticker
22-03-2009, 02:24
Hey!!! Where is the 'Attilans' option???:mad:

;)

Oberst Viktor Morte
22-03-2009, 02:35
Answering only for myself, I'm a WWI freak. So I like the Krieg chaps. I doubt that explains everyone else, though. Unless lots more people have started watching Blackadder of late.

Well, that's my excuse too. I've always overly romanticized trench warfare, and find it rather facinating. Aside from that, I prefer my troops to have their faces covered, being those faceless evil henchmen.

Brotheroracle
22-03-2009, 02:58
I love both the steel legion and Krieg, and seeing as the new 'dex has some tasty new tanks (well not new I just dont have to donate plasma to order them from FW) I will finally start the guard army I've dreamed of.... though because I'm poor I'll be doing cadians unless some how they actually make some great coat guard in plastic in the near future. Gonna wait to go full bore till all the new tank kits get released, as much as some are complaining about the new book I for one am kinda looking forward to it.

Gen.Steiner
22-03-2009, 03:00
In order:

1) Tallarn Desert Raiders
2) Valhallan Ice Warriors
3) Metal Cadian Shock Troops
4) Armageddon Steel Legion
5) Mordian Iron Guard
6) Praetorian Guard
7) Rogue Trader Imperial Army
8) Metal Catachan Jungle Fighters
9) Death Korps of Krieg
10) Plastic Cadian Shock Troops
11) Plastic Catachan Jungle Fighters
12) Vostroyans

souljaking09
22-03-2009, 03:00
hey!!! Where is the 'attilans' option???:mad:

;)

there are only 10 options possible options for polls. So i think it would be stupid to waste a slot for atillans when all they have is rough riders.

- Human
22-03-2009, 03:23
Frankly I don't think DKoK should be in this poll. They're FW and much more expensive than most other IG model, and as such their quality and detail are far superior to most IG models.

DKoK aside, I like Vostroyans. They're such a unique looking model line.

CommissarTanith
22-03-2009, 03:34
I'm going for the Vostroyans. Complete money sink if you plan to start an army of them, but I like how they look.

Desalbert
22-03-2009, 06:02
Cadians for me. Obviously Death Korps has mad appeal, and I do believe that they are awesome as well, but, I just like the standard look of Cadians. I think its more fitting for the majority of guard as the IG standard equipment, and it's because of that, that I like them.

Though, for my own army purposes,my "Wermacht inspired" guard would be better off with Death Korps. But they're just not financially viable for me.

Anyway, Cadians for me.

Ddraiglais
22-03-2009, 08:24
Based purely of looks from the miniatures I've seen here's my top 14 (I couldn't get it down to ten):

1-DKoK
2-Genswick Rifles
3-Cardalian Swamp Stalkers
4-Reinecke's Raiders
5-Tallarn
6-IV Skudd "Swamp Rats"
7-Helghast Corps
8-Vahalla
9-Kharaxian Guard
10-Steel Legion
11-Vostroyan
12-Sparticus Primus
13-Cadians (new plastics)
14-Cadians (old metal)

I also like the Pig Iron Kolony and Kolony rebels heads. They work well with Cadian plastics. Though not technically IG, I love FW's traitor guard. I also wish GW would do a Savlar army.

As a side note, I couldn't convert half of these. I also think that the flavor of the armies/rules would influence what I'd choose. That being said, Tallarn would probably be my first choice since I wouldn't have to convert much and they could take valkyries. DKoK and Genswick don't fit with valkyries IMO. I don't know if I could convert some of the others.

Drone
22-03-2009, 09:16
Well, I adore DKoK as well as Mordian Iron Guard. But seeing as the Krieg models are FW I feel it is a bit unfair to include them so my vote goes to the Mordians.

zoggin-eck
22-03-2009, 09:23
I love the Valhallans most, could never afford a whole metal guard army though.

The same with the Tallarn.

I find these two ranges are figures I have only learned to love once I owned some, or saw some exceptionally painted ones. When they were first released I really didn't think much of them until I bought a few blisters on sale.

However I voted for Cadians, simply because of the modeling opportunities. If you don't like them, it's pretty easy to sculpt your own torsos, remove the shoulder pad armour, add extra armour, sculpt extra helmet detail, change the weapons, heads etc. etc. etc. :)

- souljaking09, while I like your enthusiasm, I find starting a poll and carrying on about how you don't like/are surprised at the results while pushing your own choice with little more than repetition is a little obnoxious. I get it, I have both metal and plastic catachan squads. I find that with a little extra care, painting and avoiding the ugliest parts, they deserve more credit than they receive. I love them done up in urban colours personally.

Forget the lack of atillans, where is the option for the plastic and metal rogue trader guard? I loved the navy crew in the land speeder :)

The Grey Guy
22-03-2009, 10:08
I voted elysians, however my favourite models ever from the imperial guard line is the older storm troopers, they don't really come under any particular category though

RichBlake
22-03-2009, 10:30
Frankly I don't think DKoK should be in this poll. They're FW and much more expensive than most other IG model, and as such their quality and detail are far superior to most IG models.

DKoK aside, I like Vostroyans. They're such a unique looking model line.

To be fair you could just as easily say "I don't think Vostroyans should be in this poll as they were recent and entirely metal meaning their quality and detail are far superior to most IG line troops".

The Vostroyans are nice models, but thats partly due to the fact that model design has moved on so much and because they are metal not plastic they'll have more detail anyway.

If you go off pure detail then Krieg by far, if you go off general ascetics then I really like the Mordians and the Steel Legion. I used to love the Cadian models as I'm a "real" cadian player (i.e I actually play Cadians and use the Cadian doctrines as I played Cadians rather then before Eye of Terror) but Cadians have sort of become "geberic guard" rather then "Cadian Shock Troops".

- Human
22-03-2009, 10:38
To be fair you could just as easily say "I don't think Vostroyans should be in this poll as they were recent and entirely metal meaning their quality and detail are far superior to most IG line troops".

I was thinking this as I pressed "Post"... By my own logic the whole system of comparison breaks down.

So I'll go back and be more clear. DKoK ASIDE ;), I like the vostroyans the best.

The Highwayman
22-03-2009, 10:42
I voted Mordian Iron Guard as I do like their colourful dress uniforms. Although to be honest I like all the older metal versions of guard. The only range I don't personally like are Catachan, their oversized muscles make them look too silly for my eyes.

Oberst Viktor Morte
22-03-2009, 19:24
7) Rogue Trader Imperial Army

I absolutely love the old models. From now on when I order from Forgeworld I'm going to request this.

StarshipBOb
22-03-2009, 22:10
I voted for the Death Korps.

Then again, I do have some sort of weird trenchcoat fetish.

Col.Gravis
23-03-2009, 12:37
Praetorians - I just like em that's all ;)
Valhallan - Lovely models and I like the theme behind them alot.
Tallarn - Lovely models and I like the theme behind them alot.
Death Korps of Krieg - Beautiful models, but not quite as keen on Trenchers as the previous three.
Cadian Shock Troops - Good models, reasonable detail, multipart goodness.
Mordian Iron Guard - Dress uniforms are still cool.
Vostroyans - Really icely detailed models but can be a little 'over crowded' with detail if that makes sense.
Armageddon Steel Legion - On the other end of the scale to the Vosy's, a little too plain for me.
Elysian Drop Troops - Beautiful models, I just don't like them.
Catachan Jungle Fighters - Less said the better I'm afraid.

Well thats a no brainer for me :)

Jerrus
23-03-2009, 12:47
I think the Death Korps of Krieg are amazing.

Plastic Parody
23-03-2009, 13:40
Vostroyans, easily; they actually look properly Imperial, something that many of the other Guard infantry lines lack. As well as the fact they're wonderful looking, detailed models. The Cadian and Catachan sets are as ugly as sin, IMO, I'd honestly rank the Dark Eldar Warriors set above them...

They day GW do plastic Vostroyans, or even better, plastic Savlar Chem-dogs, I'll be all over the Guard in moments.

agreed on all counts. Vostroyans are the most 'Imperial' themed Guard models they have ever done. And the fact that they have never done models in the style of the pic makes me wonder what the hell they are on.

Jerrus
23-03-2009, 13:47
agreed on all counts. Vostroyans are the most 'Imperial' themed Guard models they have ever done. And the fact that they have never done models in the style of the pic makes me wonder what the hell they are on.

That's just.. like.. your opinion, man

TheOverlord
23-03-2009, 14:59
The Death Korp, quite simply because FW did an incredibly wonderful job on them.

Which kinda makes it unfair for the others, I guess.

Other one would be Vostroyans and Valhallans, for me. Love them.

Netherghoul
23-03-2009, 15:14
Voted steel legion.

had them once but had to sell them due to irl circumstances:(
Love the krieg stuff as well, but somehow I enjoy the steel legionaires better.
must be that german paratrooper thing thats all over them imho.

Chem-Dog
23-03-2009, 15:24
Actually, I really like the Vostroyans, they are some incredibly well detailed models and they lend themselves tremendously to a painter who wants to stretch themselves and show what their capable of technique wise.

PapaDoc
23-03-2009, 19:47
Durka Durka Emperor Jihad. Just love the "IN THE GRIM DARKNESS OF THE FAR FUTURE THERE IS ONLY ... lol arabs?" feel they give.

My vote went for tallarns.

tartarus1222
23-03-2009, 21:00
Death Korps models are fantastic!

GuyLeCheval
23-03-2009, 21:05
Vostroyans forever. (Not that I play IG...:D)

Laser guided fanatic
23-03-2009, 21:09
Who dared to revive 'souljaking's' thread. Heresy!

sydbridges
23-03-2009, 21:10
I voted for the Elysians, although the DKoK are a good close second. Elysians really look like some sort of future human space army, whlie a lot of the other armies look more like an army from from the past two hundred years given a slightly more futuristic weapon and told, "Welcome to 41000. You are boned."

Cane
23-03-2009, 21:45
"Welcome to 41000. You are boned."

LOL! That was pretty funny and I agree about the majority of IG armies however a historical look is part of their appeal I suppose.

I voted for the DKOK. They look outstanding and I believe is the only line with fully enclosed masks which is a plus for me since I hate painting faces especially with some of the..interesting scuplts GW has in their line.

Nostro
23-03-2009, 22:15
Who dared to revive 'souljaking's' thread. Heresy!

It's pointless comments like that that got the previous one deleted. Here a sound discussion has taken off, please don't derail the thread with unjustified remarks.

On topic: I voted Tallarn, but I like Cadians (old one too). While I didn't like vostroyans at first, they grew on me and look suitably dystopian/gothic compared to the others that could star in historical games without too much adaptation. That's a reason why I think pretorians are way over the top, they look too much straight out of India.

Krieg are a world apart, they shouldn't even compete. :cries:

souljaking09
23-03-2009, 22:19
It's pointless comments like that that got the previous one deleted. Here a sound discussion has taken off, please don't derail the thread with unjustified remarks.

On topic: I voted Tallarn, but I like Cadians (old one too). While I didn't like vostroyans at first, they grew on me and look suitably dystopian/gothic compared to the others that could star in historical games without too much adaptation. That's a reason why I think pretorians are way over the top, they look too much straight out of India.

Krieg are a world apart, they shouldn't even compete. :cries:

Praetorians are actually my second favorite. watch the newer four feathers movie or zulu. vostroyans is an odd attempt to try to blend old and new. i.e. gasmasks + tall hats = :wtf:
just my opinion. does anyone know what happened to the thread. it just disappeared. I couldn't find any of my posts.

Nostro
23-03-2009, 22:30
Yeah but that's what I like in 40k, it a "future" that takes a lot from the "past": swords and axes compete with lascannons, gravtanks compete with rusty WW2-like tanks and so on.

For me Pretorians could too easily fit in a historical reenaction of english colonial wars, whereas it's more difficult to pinpoint Vostroyans to any particular war of our own history, hence their appeal. That said, the other IG regiments are also quite tied to history (arabs, soviets, vietnam, etc) which diminishes their originality.

I think this is why the picture (cf beginning of the thread) of this guard outside a hive city is being regularly hailed as one of the best depictions of IG: it looks 40,000, not XXth century.

EDIT: the other thread got deleted or moved to the wastes, as - as I feared - it was deemed full of insults and useless comments by a mod.

souljaking09
23-03-2009, 22:43
Yeah but that's what I like in 40k, it a "future" that takes a lot from the "past": swords and axes compete with lascannons, gravtanks compete with rusty WW2-like tanks and so on.

For me Pretorians could too easily fit in a historical reenaction of english colonial wars, whereas it's more difficult to pinpoint Vostroyans to any particular war of our own history, hence their appeal. That said, the other IG regiments are also quite tied to history (arabs, soviets, vietnam, etc) which diminishes their originality.

I think this is why the picture (cf beginning of the thread) of this guard outside a hive city is being regularly hailed as one of the best depictions of IG: it looks 40,000, not XXth century.

EDIT: the other thread got deleted or moved to the wastes, as - as I feared - it was deemed full of insults and useless comments by a mod.

I like mixing stuff like swords with the future, and it's not necessarily all old/new blends that I don't like. It's just the whole tall hat +gas mask thing looks stupid to me.

1) Catachans
2) Praetorians
3) Cadians
4) Mordians
5) Death Korps
6) Elysians
7) Steel Legion
8) Valhallans
9) Tallarns
10) Vostroyans

my rankings are based on how much I like the look of the line of models. nothing else.:) I realize I am gonna take a lot of heat for this list, but it's my opinion.

captainramoz
23-03-2009, 22:48
I think that both the love for dkok and red scorpions is just cause they are fw.
But in background every single guard army is better than the dkok. Come on they are just a darker version of the steel legion fw has the worst background(exceptuatin elysian).
Too bad there ainīt plastic mordians or even better harakoni warhawks(very flashy name there).

souljaking09
23-03-2009, 22:52
I think that both the love for dkok and red scorpions is just cause they are fw.
But in background every single guard army is better than the dkok. Come on they are just a darker version of the steel legion fw has the worst background(exceptuatin elysian).
Too bad there ainīt plastic mordians or even better harakoni warhawks(very flashy name there).

finally, someone agrees with me. Death Korps is the same as steel legion. the only reason I put them higher on my rankings is because I think their helmets are a little cooler.

Magelite
23-03-2009, 22:57
The praetorians. Utterly silly and awesome to boot.

Vaktathi
23-03-2009, 22:59
finally, someone agrees with me. Death Korps is the same as steel legion. the only reason I put them higher on my rankings is because I think their helmets are a little cooler.

They are not the same. They have different coats, different helmets, different masks, different guns, and different boots.

The DKoK are an amalgamation of WW1 French and German uniforms, the Steel Legion are patterned on WW2 German Fallschirmjaeger.

I think that both the love for dkok and red scorpions is just cause they are fw. I don't think it has anything to do with the fact that FW produces them. It's the fact that the models look amazing, regardless of who produces them, and they have a very intense visual.

But in background every single guard army is better than the dkok. Huh? It's hard to call any Guard army better than another. They specialize in different things. The DKoK is not made for the fighting that the Catachan's engage in, while the Catachan's would break if forced to engage in the warfare the DKoK engages in.

Come on they are just a darker version of the steel legion Again, Other than having coats and gasmasks, they aren't very similar, and do not operate in any similar manner. The Steel Legion operates as a mechanized Blitzkrieg type force. The DKoK fields only a few such forces, most of the DKoK's armies are artillery heavy footslogging infantry forces.

captainramoz
23-03-2009, 23:01
They are not the same. They have different coats, different helmets, different masks, different guns, and different boots.

The DKoK are an amalgamation of WW1 French and German uniforms, the Steel Legion are patterned on WW2 German Fallschirmjaeger.
Come on they are equal with the difference that the steel legion has much more chimeras and doesnīt have spiky helmets.
Still mordian iron guards(they look like comissars some times) and praetorians

Nostro
23-03-2009, 23:05
my rankings are based on how much I like the look of the line of models. nothing else.:) I realize I am gonna take a lot of heat for this list, but it's my opinion.

------
Off topic: You didn't take flame in the other thread for liking Catachans, it's just the way you kept posting a lot of threads, short comments irrelevant to your question asked, etc; and how you reacted to people telling you they didn't like Catachans as much as you did.
Nobody is going to flame you for your list, they may say why they have another order but not try to tell you you're wrong for ranking Catachans 1st.
------

I for one dislike Catachans as they are now, I like the fluff an imagery but the models have muscles that are way too oversized for me to find realistic. Even in the context of wrong-scaled WH40k.

I agree Krieg and Steel Legion look similar, but it's the realisation that differs. I hate SL, I feel like they wear skirts and have weird-shaped helmets. Krieg is the same general look but sculpted ten times better. captainramroz, yes I think the love comes from FW, because havng so good looking minis is what made a lot of people like them so much in the first place, it's not the background or the rules.

EDIT: Vaktathi: I think they mean visually only. Long coats and gas masks give them a broadly similar look.

Vaktathi
23-03-2009, 23:08
Come on they are equal with the difference that the steel legion has much more chimeras and doesnīt have spiky helmets. Did you actually look at the models? Really?

The Steel Legion have bowl shaped helmets and coats that stop at the mid-thigh, tall jackboots, and bowl-like biker helmets, and gasmasks that don't cover the eyes.

The DKoK does no have spiky helmets (at least on their models). They have coats that go down to mid-shin, they have low boots with puttee's, Stahlhelm like helmets with a french helmet crest, and gasmasks that cover the whole face.

Similar styles, but *NOT* anywhere near the same thing.

captainramoz
23-03-2009, 23:09
------
Off topic: You didn't take flame in the other thread for liking Catachans, it's just the way you kept posting a lot of threads, short comments irrelevant to your question asked, etc; and how you reacted to people telling you they didn't like Catachans as much as you did.
Nobody is going to flame you for your list, they may say why they have another order but not try to tell you you're wrong for ranking Catachans 1st.
------

I for one dislike Catachans as they are now, I like the fluff an imagery but the models have muscles that are way too oversized for me to find realistic. Even in the context of wrong-scaled WH40k.

I agree Krieg and Steel Legion look similar, but it's the realisation that differs. I hate SL, I feel like they wear skirts and have weird-shaped helmets. Krieg is the same general look but sculpted ten times better. captainramroz, yes I think the love comes from FW, because havng so good looking minis is what made a lot of people like them so much in the first place, it's not the background or the rules.
Agreed i love elisians

Akuma
23-03-2009, 23:09
"The Steel Legion have bowl shaped helmets and coats that stop at the mid-thigh, tall jackboots, and bowl-like biker helmets, and gasmasks that don't cover the eyes."

Kind like Germans in the world war II :D ?

Vaktathi
23-03-2009, 23:12
"The Steel Legion have bowl shaped helmets and coats that stop at the mid-thigh, tall jackboots, and bowl-like biker helmets, and gasmasks that don't cover the eyes."

Kind like Germans in the world war II :D ?

With the exception of the gasmasks, just like WW2 Fallschirmjaeger, yes (as I explained earlier).

DKoK are based off WW1 French winter uniforms with German helmets and gasmasks.

Different wars, different armies, different uniforms.

jstalker
23-03-2009, 23:38
I will agree. Dkok are not the same as steel legion,
both are different, both are cool, but i prefer Dkok

MEanBOb12
23-03-2009, 23:41
Well since DKoK have the greatest (in my opinion) forgeworld range to date, they win automatically in my mind. You CANNOT beat Krieg models from forgeworld.

Vaktathi, I am still extremely jealous of your mechanized Krieg and hope to have something comparable someday.

Vaktathi
23-03-2009, 23:54
Vaktathi, I am still extremely jealous of your mechanized Krieg and hope to have something comparable someday.

If you're gonna go for it, buy them now, the exchange rate makes it cheaper than when I bought them :cries:

souljaking09
24-03-2009, 00:49
------
------

EDIT: Vaktathi: I think they mean visually only. Long coats and gas masks give them a broadly similar look.

I think they wouldn't get the whole badass catachan feel without the muscles. so we disagree.:)

Corrode
24-03-2009, 00:56
I think they wouldn't get the whole badass catachan feel without the muscles. so we disagree.:)

The muscles aren't really the problem. Everyone expects them to be muscular. The problem is that the muscles are ridiculous - Catachan arms in many instances look like they're made from half-melted putty. Orks don't seem to have this problem, despite having even more Arnie-like proportions - the Catachan sculpts are just bad. An updated set of Catachans with arms that look a little more muscular and a little less flabby ex-roider would do wonders for the image of the range.

souljaking09
24-03-2009, 00:59
The muscles aren't really the problem. Everyone expects them to be muscular. The problem is that the muscles are ridiculous - Catachan arms in many instances look like they're made from half-melted putty. Orks don't seem to have this problem, despite having even more Arnie-like proportions - the Catachan sculpts are just bad. An updated set of Catachans with arms that look a little more muscular and a little less flabby ex-roider would do wonders for the image of the range.

I think they are fine. Except some of the triceps on the trigger arm are a little hard to highlight. Other than that, they look fine to me. the best arms are the ones that hold the gun straight out in front of them. Those paint real good.

Netherghoul
24-03-2009, 11:17
With the exception of the gasmasks, just like WW2 Fallschirmjaeger, yes (as I explained earlier).

DKoK are based off WW1 French winter uniforms with German helmets and gasmasks.

Different wars, different armies, different uniforms.

mate I think you have to tell them that FSJ means german paratroopers;)
think not all peeps are familiar with german troops :p

But they def look different from the DkoK.

anyway I have made my decision with the return of the IG, made a whooping order from the states (love that nerfed dollar;)) for tons of steel legion buggers.
now to get some armor and lets bring on the war..er paint...then war :rolleyes:
guess the little buggers are coming back to me:D

ehlijen
24-03-2009, 11:51
It's cadians for me. Plastic is always superior as far as I'm concerned as it holds onto its paint better and allows for more conversions. And the cadians are just better looking than the catachans (at least as long as the arms stay that way).

totgeboren
24-03-2009, 12:04
I think its abit unfair to include the DKoK in the poll, since they are sculpted to a much much higher quality than the others.

I voted for them, but of the official GW-ranges, I would most like an army of tallans.
or vostroyans with Pig Iron helmets.... hmmm.... but then they would not be offical GW models. :)

Tallans it is.

Col.Gravis
24-03-2009, 12:17
Plastic is always superior as far as I'm concerned as it holds onto its paint better and allows for more conversions.

I'm gonna have to disagree there, metal models offer just as many converion opportunities, you just need to have a different set of tools and techniques.

Grand Warlord
24-03-2009, 13:11
Well since I was limited for only 1 choice I picked Valhallans, but I am also interested in collecting tallarns and death corp

Lord-Caerolion
24-03-2009, 13:53
I'm going to have to say Krieg.

Forge World... it calls to me... But my lack of money prevents me answering...