PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide on a Good army

Pertinax
12-12-2005, 21:12
I have two contenders. I know that both the armies are pretty similar, but I can't decide which one to do. Can anybody help me make up my mind, and can anybody help improve the lists?

Faramir (heavy armour, lance, horse)
Captain of Gondor (shield, lance, horse)
Captain of Gondor (shield)
5x Knights of Gondor
12x Warrior of Gondor (shield, spear)
12x Warrior of Gondor (shield)
14x Ranger of Gondor

596 points
46 figures
14 bows

Or, translating that into a film-based Helms Deep...

14 Elves (armour, bows, spears)
27x Rohirim Warriors (shield)
Captain of Rohan (Heavy armour, shield)
Captain of Rohan (Heavy armour, shield)
Eomer (heavy armour, shield, horse)
4x Riders of Rohan

595 points
45 figures
14 bows

Ash599
12-12-2005, 21:37
I personally prefer the Gondor army. In the end it is your decision though.

The Black Knight
02-01-2006, 19:09
probably helms deep as elves are the best infantary in the whole game and can beat some enemy heroes. I would personally drop Eomer and take Haldir as he can fire two shots every turn and can take out enemy captains in combat

Baggers
02-01-2006, 19:20
It depends on what you are taking as your evil army. I would go with the Rohan Elven army. as it looks the best on the field.

Pertinax
06-01-2006, 21:59
Well, I'm opting for the Gondor army, with a small change.

5x Knights of Gondor
13x Warrior of Gondor (shield, spear)
13x Warrior of Gondor (shield)
14x Ranger of Gondor

600 points
48 figures
14 bows

This is based primarily on the cost of the project. I've had the MT warriors lying around for a while, but never gotten to the stage of doing anything about them. But I would have to buy up the whole army if I was to do the Rohan army.

I've dropped the captain's horse, and upped the figure count with two more warriors.

I'm pretty confident about it being a solid list.

Brandir
07-01-2006, 23:47
I would be tempted to replace one of the Gondor Captains with Beregond and Damrod. For a total of 45 points one gets 2 Might (same as one Captain), but splits this up to perhaps allow more options during a battle. It also helps your theme by having a ranger captain.

Additionally, the 10 points you save could be used for an extra spear and shield warrior of Minas Tirith.

Another option is to drop a Captain and replace with Damrod (20 points) and a warrior of Minas Tirith with a banner (32 points).

Banners can be very useful if you use a tight formation - as I suspect you will with all those spear supporting the swords.

Pertinax
09-01-2006, 22:38
I'll take that into consideration. I see some benefits of it, but then again, I don't know...

Anyway, in the mean time, here is my WIP LOTR things for my GT armies.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v300/pertinax/LOTR%20Wip/
I'm not taking the Balrog! It's just there in the gallery.

Lord Gordonis
10-01-2006, 11:50
Those are really really nice painted MT warriors and faramir on horse, i will take pics of my force when they are all painted and stuff. I really liked how u painted faramirs horse :)

foehammer
19-01-2006, 22:22
i would chose the gondor army in my opinion

Pertinax
19-01-2006, 23:26
Well, I'm opting for the Gondor army, with a small change.

5x Knights of Gondor
13x Warrior of Gondor (shield, spear)
13x Warrior of Gondor (shield)
14x Ranger of Gondor

600 points
48 figures
14 bows

This is based primarily on the cost of the project. I've had the MT warriors lying around for a while, but never gotten to the stage of doing anything about them. But I would have to buy up the whole army if I was to do the Rohan army.

I've dropped the captain's horse, and upped the figure count with two more warriors.

I'm pretty confident about it being a solid list.

Er, I have. Along with the Harad army, since you need both an Evil and a Good army.

foehammer
20-01-2006, 01:15
gondor is the better choice in my opinion

Pertinax
20-01-2006, 07:04
I have chosen the Gondor army!

Brandir
20-01-2006, 07:27
No, really. Use Gondor as your Good force.

;)

Pertinax
20-01-2006, 08:45
I think I'll change my mind. Not yet, but about 2 days before the GT. I think I'll probalby plump for something really expensive.

Like Dwarves. ;)

Brandir: On other issues, I have played around with the list a bit, and I have tried putting a banner in the main block of infantry. And although it hasn't really provided a vast difference, it has gooten me some vital wins in fights that would otherwise have been fatal. So I guess it is in....

Brandir
20-01-2006, 14:11
The banner can be superb when uded with tight blocks of troops. Much better than an extra captain in your original list.

Of course, as a potential entrant in the tournament I may be playing a cunning trick on you ;)

Pertinax
20-01-2006, 22:14
Ah! The cunningness is so thick that you could cut the air with a knife....

Are you going to go to the GT? It would be great to get a game in that one of us could have bragging rights on! ;)

Brandir
23-01-2006, 13:12
Don't know yet. I start a new job in a couple of weeks and haven't yet had chance to see if I will be working that weekend.

Makaber
23-01-2006, 15:26
Well, there's always trading shifts.

Pertinax
26-01-2006, 20:48
Arf!! I've done my knights of MT.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v300/pertinax/LOTR%20Wip/?

bungeetoad
26-01-2006, 20:55
Your Minas Tirith look awsome(i have an M.T army) but what made u paint the armour green in places. it looks really cool.

Pertinax
26-01-2006, 22:14
Is the armour green? The armour is a basic laquered chainmail. It has a slightly "used" look to it.

The clothes are green, yes. Because I chose to make an army that can pass off as a patrol Faramir, in Ithilian. Hence, it all carries the colours that I picked for him.

Any green on the armour is probably a reflection from the banners or clothes.

Lastly, the flash on the camera was not working at the time of the pictures, so it could be a residual colouration from the ambient light.