PDA

View Full Version : Can GW models actually get any better?

Luthor
20-03-2009, 23:06
With Empire going 100% plastic I was wondering that since all their models look up to par with the current quality of other plastic kits, what GW plans to do when another Empire release rolls around. Will they just update the books? When compared to other editions, the models now are far superior, but I don't think that they could get any better. What exactly will GW do? Rehash units that don't need it? Who would actually buy units that look as good as the current ones, but in different poses?

Hypaspist
20-03-2009, 23:12
If you consider how far the models and plastics have come over the past years, to suggest there is nowhere for GW to go is probably folly.
There is no reason to expect that they can not make significant improvements to moulding over the coming years, so expect more armies to become mor eplastic based, and then expect the plastics themselves to get better as well.

in terms of another Empire update; Innovation (of new units) and or/ greater detailing leading to new model ranges for similar slots would be possible.
ultimately GW are a business and if they did not improve their product they would cease to be a viable company.

neXus6
20-03-2009, 23:22
Making sure ALL the drilled and trained Empire State Troopers have shoes would be a good start... I was really looking forward to starting an empire army, was converting halberdiers, didnt have a problem with them updating the State Troops...till I saw that 1 in 5 of them have forgotten their shoes. :rolleyes:

I'm really not sure about GW quality wise. It is still pretty mixed depending on personal taste. There is a lot of stuff they need to update, but a lot of the stuff they have been updating or switching to plastic they haven't done a very good job of in my opinion.

Not to mention these days the smaller miniature producing companies have seriously upped their game so there is much more "better" models to compare GW stuff too.

Templar Ben
20-03-2009, 23:35
GW could get to the level of Tamiya.

Aurellis
20-03-2009, 23:58
GW could get to the level of Tamiya.

But their plastics are really thin and not suitable for tabletop gaming, it would be amazing to get to that quality and still maintain the product durability though.

Templar Ben
21-03-2009, 00:11
Well they have started using slide molds so that is a great step but I have not had any problems with them breaking. I normally don't consider myself gentle. They could get cleaner and have lines sharper.

jullevi
21-03-2009, 00:23
With Empire going 100% plastic I was wondering that since all their models look up to par with the current quality of other plastic kits, what GW plans to do when another Empire release rolls around.

I admit that GW has released some serious quality plastics lately (Giant, Baneblade, 40k Orks, Skeletons, Marauder Horsemen to name but a few). However, I wouldn't say that 2007 Empire releases were nowhere near the quality of certain latest releases. They were certainly an improvement over the previous ones in many ways, but they also had many flaws both in design and appearance. It's a shame, really, as I was really looking forward to revisit my Empire army. Mediocre models and poor army book made me drop out from Warhammer for a long while.

The forthcoming Empire releases look quite promising, though. I'll have to get my hands on some of them before I can make a final judgement.

Will they just update the books? When compared to other editions, the models now are far superior, but I don't think that they could get any better. What exactly will GW do? Rehash units that don't need it?

There are always models in need of updating. I have no doubts that GW will find a way to make us buy something in every release.

Who would actually buy units that look as good as the current ones, but in different poses?

Well, Empire State troops have exactly one pose...

ehlijen
21-03-2009, 00:58
What you have to keep in mind for models that are meant to be tightly ranked up, is that any great variation in pose can cause serious troubles getting them to line up or removing casualties without models getting entangeled.
Yes, many people would prefer more poses, but there is a practical limit for all non skirmishers (and even those can have trouble; ask any bretonian player why he keeps lining up his pegasi sideways when charging :p).

Temprus
21-03-2009, 16:51
When GW can ship out all Bolters and other guns pre-drilled, then I might say they can stop trying to get better! ;)

teh_soldier
21-03-2009, 17:09
When GW can ship out all Bolters and other guns pre-drilled, then I might say they can stop trying to get better! ;)

They can, the Baneblade has slide-core bolters, i.e. bolters with the holes already there, and the Marine Devastators' weapons come with the nozzle in two parts to give you the holes in them. Its not that GW can't, its just that its currently uneconomical for them to do it, the first method is very expensive compared to a normal mould, and the second method takes up alot of room on the sprue.

badgeraddict
21-03-2009, 18:06
I can only look forward to what GW do with any new Bretonnian models if they continue with their quality of design in plastic, I could be in for a treat!

*crosses fingers for plastic Trebuchet and Grail Reliquae*

souljaking09
21-03-2009, 18:21
of course they can get better. I'm sure people are saying the same thing with all the iphones and stuff. Eventually we will have holograms. Technology will advance exponentially in the 21st century.

Bahir
21-03-2009, 18:49
Eventually we will have holograms. Technology will advance exponentially in the 21st century.

But I don't know how to paint a hologram! ;)

Harry
21-03-2009, 21:06
Yes, they can get better.

Look how far they have come in the last 5 years. you can almost see the development with each release.
No reason to suppose that this will not continue. In fact every reason to suppose the rate of improvement will be exponential.

The last 5 years have been aquiring/developing the technology and learning how to use it. The next 5 years will be about seeing just how far they can push it.

One sculptor recently said to me that they (The sculptors) were just starting to push the boundries of what the technology could do and starting to lead the development of the technology to do what they needed it to do. Which is as it should be.

As for the Empire. Well having seen the steam tank we have to look forward to them having a crack at a plastic war alter kit with all the options that could have.

But then there are the Empire Knightly orders. (The horses being one of the oldest plastics in the entire product range). Having seen some of David Galhagers concept sketches for the Empire Knightly orders ... I just can't wait for them to have a crack at these with what they can do with plastics now. if you look at the knights of Chaos and imagine that level of emperial decoration on the horses armour ...
... ooooh sir. Suits me sir.

But more exciting than that is imagining what the next kit could be. What will the empire equivelent of the High Elf Lion Chariot be?

Bring it on!

I keep saying 'it can't get any better than this' ... and it keeps on getting better.

Temprus
21-03-2009, 22:18
They can, the Baneblade has slide-core bolters, i.e. bolters with the holes already there, and the Marine Devastators' weapons come with the nozzle in two parts to give you the holes in them. Its not that GW can't, its just that its currently uneconomical for them to do it, the first method is very expensive compared to a normal mould, and the second method takes up alot of room on the sprue.
Heavy Weapons don't count since they can come in multiple pieces/sides. ;) I said Bolters, you know, the 1mm sized holes. :angel:

crandall87
22-03-2009, 16:09
There's no reason that GW cannot improve. If you look at 40k the likes of the space marine tactical box, csm box and the ork boyz box were not completely remade but they did include an extra sprue to improve the variety in the box.

I think once GW are at a stage where the plastics don't need improving we will most likely see brand new units instead.

In regards to fantasy I think we'll see a lot of the plastics being replaced. There are still a lot of boxes that contain 20 models, 16 models etc but very little variety and it wouldn't surprise me if they were replaced with 10 men boxes with more variety and options which seems to GWs new trend.

Cane
22-03-2009, 16:40
GW definitely has been improving over the years but as said earlier Tamiya has still proven to be superior. Tamiya kits feature more detail, a better overall design in terms of putting the damn thing together, and overall a superior and higher quality feel of plastic than their GW counterparts.

As for tabletop durability, I field my converted Tamiya tanks and have yet to encounter a problem.

Coasty
22-03-2009, 20:55
They could be in true scale... :angel:

scarletsquig
22-03-2009, 21:12
It'll be many, many years before the 40k and fantasy ranges can be considered "complete". There are armies that currently need new units to be introduced, armies that need a complete new model range etc. Long way to go yet, but the speed and quality of GW's releases over the past couple of years has been impressive. After 2020, potentially? Our armies should all be looking wonderful by then.

I see plenty of potential for the next wave of Empire releases.. I think it would be nice if they were able to release a box of new halberdiers, the current set of state troops has arm grips and body poses more suitable for spearmen. That would then free up the spearmen/swordsmen box for a retooling that would get rid of the current awkward-to-glue spear shafts, and maybe allow for a few more bits on there. Accompanied of course by new halberdier rules that makes everyone want to buy 100 of 'em. I'd bite, love the look of big empire infantry armies. :)

If anything, I would say that LotR is the system closest to having a complete set of very nice models, I look at the range and see no major sculpting flaws, it's very well done and has nothing hanging around from 18 years ago.

Suicide Messiah
22-03-2009, 23:25
Course they can get better. They could all look like Tom Meier sculpts. Of course then no one would buy them because theyd break but thats just the nature of wargaming minis.

As for general deatail and quality yes they can get A LOT better.

Crazy Harborc
23-03-2009, 02:28
IMHO, the minies and or models that GW makes can and very likely, will continue to get better/ to improve.

Very detailed plastics with sharp clean details are not new. I was buying very high quality, detailed, etc. buildings and accessories when I was a model
railroader in HO scale starting in 1968. All of the plastics I used then were European style by the by.;) AND made there and in the UK too.