PDA

View Full Version : I tried to leave, I really did...

Luthor
20-03-2009, 23:27
Well I'm back, I sold off most of my WFB stuff a while back and decided I wanted nothing more to do with GW since I didn't like the way they were headed. Anyways, my friends peer pressured me into getting back into Fantasy, but I have no idea where to start. So its the great "You pick my army!" thread so to speak. I'm looking for something that is competative at smaller points values as I'm going to college soon and won't have a lot of room and cash to spare.

The only regulations are as follows:

1 - Good at smalls points games.
2 - Won't have everyone hate me.
3 - Aren't Dwarves or Ogres (My friends play those)

So what do you recommend?

Lord Malorne
20-03-2009, 23:30
Dark Elves, they avoid the hate the most out of the 'better' armies.

SuperArchMegalon
20-03-2009, 23:52
Well, I read the first two points and thought to myself, "Ah! Dwarfs or Ogres will be good for him!" Then I read the third.

I'd stay away from Wood Elves (too easy to beat Ogres and too difficult to beat Dwarfs) but High Elves/DE should may be a good choice, but clearly more powerful than Dwarfs/OK.

Also VC is a good choice, Ogres do abnormally well against them despite being a low power/high power matchup.

You could consider using any of the lower power armies, such as O&G (historic matchup against Dwarfs, and a good battle against OK). They're a fun army at low points - lots of fast cav.

Either WoC, Skaven, LM and Empire are all safe bets, though at low points I'm not sure about Skaven, or WoC (it has very few models!!). Bretonnia will make for some extremely predictable games against the Dwarf player (the guns work and you lose, or they don't work and you win), and might be too much for the OK player to handle.

For some reason I can't modify my post. Sorry for the double post. I said that HE/DE may be a bit too powerful to match the other armies in your group, but for HE if you don't take a dragon I think they would be a great choice. Ogres can't stand up to a dragon, and Dwarfs can shoot it down all too easily.

When picking an army consider that since someone is playing Ogre Kingdoms, you may want to choose an army that isn't immune to fear, simply so that it isn't over-represented in your gaming group. For a while our entire group was causing fear except for one poor Empire player... changes up the meta-game a bit too much.

The Red Scourge
21-03-2009, 00:44
How about any other army but dwarves and ogres. One you like the models for, so you can get them painted and looking good :)

Aurellis
21-03-2009, 00:46
I'd vote Dark Elves, they perform particularly well at small point games with access to cheap core choices and magic that can be cast at quite low power levels.

Skaven is another option, they perform well at low points costs too and will be updated soon so if you get some models now you will have made a headstart.

Horus38
21-03-2009, 00:50
For the Old Ones, LM for the win!!!

Jokes aside I'd go with a race you like the look/models of and just tailor it around a force of that nature. That's what I'd do if I ever hit the reset button.

Yautja
21-03-2009, 01:03
Lizardmen are pretty good. Buy the new starter box, another regiment of saurus warriors, and a few skink priests and that got to be pushing 1k points.

Ultimo ninja
21-03-2009, 01:33
since youve played high elves, ill suggest the opposite of a highly organised, well trained force fighting for good:

the evil, gibbering hordes of the skaven. They have a new book coming out this year, it might be worth the wait. Empire is cool too, since they have the most flexible list in the game.

Luthor
21-03-2009, 01:57
Never played High Elves, lol, I have played both Bretonnia and Lizardmen at one point. Although that is only because they came in the starter box, ah what a good one it was.

The problem is every army I don't like the look of has a good back story, I love the Tomb Kings, but compared to VC the models are dreadful. I really like the VC but don't want to steam roller the competition, although when possibly two more people get peer pressured in we may have an O&G army and Daemons of Chaos (sigh). I've read most of the army books, although I have no idea how effective most of the stuff is because what I think is cool, everyone else thinks is not worth it. I've been out a while so I'm a bit behind.

slingersam
21-03-2009, 02:06
Lizardmen would be great, go for a pure skink list, then when you decide
to go full force, and get around 2000 points, get a couple of saurus
Blocks, some rare units, then maybe a stegadon (War Spear Chief, or ETOG).

Conotor
21-03-2009, 02:43
Dark Elves, they avoid the hate the most out of the 'better' armies.

Thats bc they deserve to go on a good rampage after 6th ed...

Neknoh
21-03-2009, 02:56
Or go original?

Tomb Kings, although they might well struggle at games at less than 1000 points, they're still one damned fun army to play, just make sure your dwarfen friend doesn't bring overtly much magic defense so that both of you will have an enjoyable game. Also, at 2k, they are good, not immensely devastating, but good, and much like dwarfs and ogres, they are rather unique when compared to most other armies out there.

Otherwise, just pick Dark Elves or Vampires, can't really go wrong no matter the points, just don't bring two hydras, a hydra at 500 points or the Pendant of Khaeleth. Same goes for VC, don't spam invocations or build a deathstar.

Do something fun with the army instead

Baron Von Rotten
21-03-2009, 06:02
Avoid the horde armies like O+G, Skaven, and to some degree Empire. They cost too much for a poor college kid to afford..... Besides, you'll need money for partying.

"We'll need Hookers, Booze, drugs, and FireTrucks." - Bachelor Party.

Good Times. Good Times.

imweasel
21-03-2009, 06:30
Lizardmen all the way!

dannyfave
21-03-2009, 06:43
Empire rocks at small point games, and you can make the army any way you want (almost anyway)

Slaaneshi Ice Cream
21-03-2009, 06:59
I vote for Skaven. They can rock at any points level and currently have the one of the best battalion boxes out there.

Though if you wait you *might* get new clanrats with tails already attached to the models.

The Red Scourge
21-03-2009, 10:40
I really like the VC but don't want to steam roller the competition..

VC doesn't mean auto-win. They have some powerful options, but they do have some crippling weaknesses too. So don't be afraid to go there. Also if your build is too strong for your opponents to handle, there is nothing wrong with trying out a less min-maxed build :)

Personally I play Wood Elves, VC and WoC, and I can recommend them all – though WE is probably my favorite (they're my auto-win button ;) ).

mrtn
21-03-2009, 12:04
Go for the coolest army.
You might think about Warriors of Chaos; they have some very new plastic cavalry that's looking great and will give you a small army for a cheap price.

stonehorse
21-03-2009, 12:43
Pesant Horde... it is the 'new way' to play with Bretonnians.

Braad
21-03-2009, 14:27
Give in to your feelings. Join the green side!

Is say: Orcs & Goblins is the way to go!

Ri-xthoal Lord of Lustira
21-03-2009, 15:55
LM for sure.

Despite the changes, they are still a hard hitting army and the slann is still da bomb, baby. :)

If you decided to choose any armies, then I recommand no SC for just too broken and ridiculous.

mweaver
21-03-2009, 15:58
First, if you are not completely happy with WH these days, try to lure your friends into Mordheim. It's a highly replayable skirmish game because of an excellent campaign system, and it is much easier on a college student's budget. (For one thing, the rules are a free download now).

For WH, given what you have written, I recommend an Empire army. They have a large number of units to choose from, most of which are now or will soon be in plastic, and are thus fairly cheap. Given the interchangeability of the bits in the plastic kits with the limitless painting possibilities for uniforms, it is easy to create a very personal, impressive-looking army. They are not generally considered a power army, but they are flexible and competitive.

Gaargod
21-03-2009, 21:37
I personally would recommend against Tomb Kings - at low points value they struggle quite a bit.

I'd say look at:

Lizards (saurus blocks + skinks + some heroes + sallies/razzies)
High Elves (unless you have a dragon/spam mages it won't be over powerful)
Dark Elves (avoiding certain lists like massive unbreakable black guard unit with unkillable hero and a hydra, should be fine)

If you want something with a little more bite:
Chaos Mortals (if you're having problems, knights+wizards are harsh)
VC (can be made into really harsh or can be an actual fair list)
Brettonians (Will annihilate ogres and probably just fair win against dwarves if you take a knights list)

If you have the cash:
Orcs and goblins (anything really, orcs are very hard to make overpowered)
Empire (don't take a true gunline)

Try to avoid:
Tomb kings (as above, have problems below 2k)
Wood elves - harsh against ogres, dwarfs will annihilate them unless you take evil lists)
Daemons - horrendously broken unless you deliberately take a bad list
Beasts - Getting redone soon, so wait until they're fixed.
Skaven - same as beasts

eshinkid
12-04-2009, 07:47
Skaven are Da bomb. The plague list is great in lower points. Hoard upon Hoard of toughness 4 rats (good luck dwarfs) and 3 attacks if you give them extra hand weapons (sucks for you ogre kingdom). Skaven for the win :evilgrin:

Kaid
12-04-2009, 09:11
Well it sucks that your friend plays Dwarfs because there goes your best bet for success right there.

But, I must concur with the majority and say Lizards or DE's.

The only downside however would be that everyone else is doing it, and I don't know about you but I hate playing the same army as other people in a game.

nasty_little_hobbit
12-04-2009, 10:17
Join the darkside... the less than dark, dark side... Beasts Of Chaos=]

Yes they aren't very powerful, yes they are getting redone but damn they are a fun army to play.
Even with them getting redone ( which will still be a fair few months, enough time to make a core army) you can still use many of the units and aim to build an army from the current book.
I cant see the herds, chariots, centigors, hounds models changing and you can easily make a force out of those models alone. Even from the rumours chariots will be swapping with centigors so you wouldnt be loosing out on specials.
This also would give a variety in your gaming group; slow ranked blocks (dwarfs), elite-ish army (ogres) and a skirmishing one.

Lordsaradain
12-04-2009, 15:31
Warriors of Chaos. You wont have to buy alot of models to get a sizable army, and they are cheap too as most is plastic. Awesome looking models and a pretty potent army (without being cheesy).