PDA

View Full Version : Have your buying habits changed?

Moralein
21-03-2009, 11:04
Every time you turn on the TV or read the paper, you hear how terrible the economy is. Has this affected your hobby spending? Are you more careful with your money? Has your hobby budget shrunk or are you blotting everything out with mad spending sprees?

I'm just interested in whether or not people are tightening their belts or whether niche hobbies aren't bothered by recessions.

I can't really judge for myself as I haven't spent money on any hobbies for about a year (money needed for more important projects, which would have happened whatever the economy was doing).

What are your experiences?

EmperorNorton
21-03-2009, 13:07
I haven't been negatively effected by the economy at all.
In fact I have been spending a lot more, because of the weak pound, which means I can get my minis with almost 50% discount compared to the normal MSRP.
This has not led to savings, though. Quite the contrary.

Radium
21-03-2009, 13:17
No change whatsoever, I don't really notice any difference in my surroundings either.

Godgolden
21-03-2009, 13:30
yup, cant touch models atm which sucks as the guardsmen are coming.

you guys must have secure jobs then lol.

Marovian
21-03-2009, 13:31
Well, my mortgage has fallen by a HUGE amount, I'm still in work and they're chuking overtime around at work like it's going out of fashion - Forge World here I come!

Before anyone says anything, I do know I am very lucky in many of these respects.

scolex
21-03-2009, 14:33
Honestly, the effects seem reversed on me. I have more money than usual, and my job is handing me overtime like they hate money. 122 hours of the good stuff this month. Got very lucky. I was unable to find any decent work for over a year after graduating college.

But it has hit some of my friends hard. 6 friends have lost jobs and/or are in a bad way atm. 4 of them have even had to relocate.

Coasty
21-03-2009, 15:25
Buying like crazy- I want to get my WAAAGH! built before anything untoward happens to the company...

:D

badgeraddict
21-03-2009, 16:22
I've spent next to nothing since the Dark Elf book was released. Partially due to lack of cash, but mainly I don't actually need to buy anything else from GW. My paints still have a good while before they need replacing. I think they'll be the only thing I buy from GW for a good while.

Maybe when the new Bretonnian books is released in the distant future, I'll need to buy more stuff.

Earthbeard
21-03-2009, 16:43
About the same, though recently losing my job, may very change this!?

Angelwing
21-03-2009, 17:07
I've had a change of job thats lead to a 35%ish pay cut. I was only buying hobby stuff before out of the interest gleaned from my savings. Now, I haven't bought anything hobby related for almost a year. I've skipped the latest space marine codex as a result. I'll be looking to get the Guard book though when I see what this years ISA payout is.

dancingmonkey
21-03-2009, 17:16
Been out of work for six months, getting by on selling all my excess models.
Anything I have bought has been PP and bought from any Paypal credit earned through selling.

Its now getting very tight and even harder decisions about what to keep are being made. I may well end up with very little left at all...

Getting fed up of rejection letters from job apps that's for sure. Still, my two of my Cryx armies are fully painted and I've got some commission work to help pay the bills...

CapitanGuinea
21-03-2009, 17:51
I stopped all GW related buys, but not at cause of the crisis... They stopped to support my games... And I disliked their will to pull me forced into core games I'm not intended to follow, like LoTR and WHFB.

Expecting best time and product worth of expense...

kairous
21-03-2009, 20:23
well, after getting made redundant at woolies, i was slightly worried, but i was reemployed within the following week, and on a better pay rate for the same minimum hours.

Economy wise, i don't think its that bad, ends are meeting:p, i would love to buy more stuff, but im refusing to until i have at least finished painting all the bits that i want to game with, meaning i can ignore alot of the stuff i got in impluse mystery box buys, and alot of LOTR stuff which i got from a friend who got bored with the system.

Set myself a challenge though, if i can get it all done by GD09 maybe i will let myself buy a chaos warhound :D

Rossco
22-03-2009, 00:49
I'd have to say the current economic crisis hasn't affected me at all, I was skint before and I'm skint now, I have little doubt that skint I shall remain ! I save for what I want, get it MONTHS after release but on the plus side I don't have tons of mini's sitting around unpainted !

Aurellis
22-03-2009, 01:13
To be honest, in this recession, my hours have gone up , my pay has stayed the same and generally prices have fallen leaving me with a larger disposable income than I had before, because of this I've been able to afford the new Hydra and a Mordheim warband.

I've been saving alot more though, which has seen me trying to finish painting my Beasts of Chaos to make sure everything of mine is painted and i'm getting my full moneys worth.

starlight
22-03-2009, 01:31
As a contractor/consultant I've found a slight downturn in the number of contracts, but an increase in what they pay, so overall it's balanced out so far...

As far as hobby spending, no real change. I'm a little behind in my purchases, but due to lack of space and an addiction to high-end camera gear, not lack of cash. I very seldom (almost never) buy directly from GW anymore, so their prices don't bother me as much as they used to.:) As always, I buy what I like and avoid what I don't.

Khornies & milk
22-03-2009, 04:33
I'm thankful that my Parents instilled in me the wisdom of saving a part of the weekly paypacket, and the other pearl was to only buy what you could pay for in cash. Sadly these are concepts totally out of step with many People these days...to their detriment.
Having a stash of cash in the bank means that my habits haven't changed one bit, so I'm looking forward to buying quite a few of the new IG models in May.

As the entire World has found out...Greed is not good.

mweaver
22-03-2009, 05:17
I've put myself on a more restricted budget this year, but that is a consequences of unexpected expenses and some new financial commitments (we retired Number 10 Ox, our Jeep Cherokee, after 14 years and bought a new car). The slump in the economy has not affected my hobby purchases.

souljaking09
22-03-2009, 05:31
Oh, it has definitely affected me. Let me tell you, it is very hard to start this hobby with the economy over here in the U.S. I'm determined, but my army is growing very, very slowly. I can admit that I'm jealous of the people that have bins full of bits.

thinkerman
22-03-2009, 11:36
I think is affected us all - Ive not spent on GW in quite a while, the new guard stuff looks awefully tempting and good.

Then i think of travel, food, paying the bills etc. It would be nice to spend a little on GW stuff again. Im probs going to buy from an Indie thou, makes cash for them and GW and everyone needs a little help here and there at the moment

Hlokk
22-03-2009, 11:47
oddly enough, im actually dependent on other people giving me stuff at the moment, one of the side effects of only having a part time minimum wage job and a young daughter to look after.

obviously when things pick up in a couple of weeks, which they will do, im going to buy myself an arseload of marines.

The Grey Guy
22-03-2009, 12:05
I've been very lucky in comparison to some of the other guys who've posted. I'm studying but have been able to recently pick up a good casual job giving me a steady number of hours a week at a great wage to allow me to pay any bills I may have as well as to indulge in any models i feel i need to acquire (none at the moment though too many sitting here waiting to be done)

Hicks
22-03-2009, 15:07
Well the only things I really need now apart from some bitz would be Valkyries and drop pods. I buy less than before, but it's only because I already have way too much stuff to paint and build already.

scarletsquig
22-03-2009, 21:02
I've had a big payrise, due to the weak pound and the fact that I work for Americans.

No change to spending personally, but what I will say is that the effect of the recession is going to vary wildly between person to person, depending on whether they're able to keep their job or not.

brightblade
23-03-2009, 11:05
I buy same as before. When i want it and can afford it, I buy it. :D

Keep spending! It is your duty to keep the economy moving! LOL. :p

Korras
23-03-2009, 11:37
my buying habits have changed: I now buy more mini's.. must have something to do with the pound being so low. :)

Bloodknight
23-03-2009, 11:41
So do I. Saving almost 50% on my purchases made me buy twice as much stuff on the same budget. :)

Azhrarn
23-03-2009, 11:57
low pound = mail-order bonanza

Having a semi-steady job that pays reasonably well: more money to spend on minis. Sizable tax-return coming too.

Result: ton of minis in need of paint sitting at home, so stopped buying more for the time being but not out of economic reasons. Been looking into things like weathering and such, so I've bought a fair amount of paints, pigments and such lately. Can't wait to try it out tbh.

syrme
23-03-2009, 12:17
low pound has meant more mail order shopping less at my local GW.

Although financially nothing has really changed for me I am been more cautious and trying to self-fund my hobby through selling off some of my old stuff/armies that have been gathering dust in the attic the last few years and I know will never see the gaming table again.

OLIVERASO
23-03-2009, 12:24
Hummmm... No.

But there is less unreleased stuff for sale since some month... so if anyone in UK got something unreleaased/limited released for sale.... I'm interested :-D

Marlow
23-03-2009, 14:26
My job finishes next week, so I will not be buying anything new until I get a new job. However I am hoping to have a month or two off so I have time to paint my Tyranid army...

burtnernie
23-03-2009, 15:40
Have to say that I try to box clever now, trading is something I now consider even more as you usually get more for your money and both parties get something out of it, this is mainly down to the fact that GW prices whilst some new releases like chaos knights and stuff are reasonable, things like blood knights are, well, just a weiny bit absurd.

I lost my job a month back, have a baby due in 1 weeks, yet I am still happily swanning around picking bits up here and there for relatively little despite the reduced income, I think when the income goes back up again i will stick to this method of working as I will have more funds to play with should the FW urge arise.

I have to say this much that I was very unsure of the trading community before I stumbled in this direction and I am now very glad I have taken that chance as warseer has some great, honest members...

I recommend giving it a look.

Alfie
23-03-2009, 21:59
Financially nothing has changed for me so far. I work for the council, as does the mrs, so pretty saafe job (fingers crossed).

The only change on the horizon is that the mrs is pregnant. So need to start saving for all the baby gubbins.

But recently...spent a bit on Black reach, orc codex, some burnas and some trade stuff from here. Should keep me going for a while, as also have some empire to finish and some eldar.

In fact got enough unpainted stuff to open a small shop ;).

BLZBOB
24-03-2009, 14:21
Yes, its fair to say my spending habbits have changed. From significant spends with GW&FW over the last few years often to the tune of significant portions of a grand in the last six months I have spent nowt, not even on paint. The reasons for this are related to the current economic climate, last year my employer went under and I ended up out two months wages plus the extra pay for 'helping them through difficult times'. I got another job within a couple days but lets just say its not secure and the pay is no better than I was on with worse hours.

My missus has worsening health issues and is now about to be registered as disabled mostly arising from a misdiagnosis last year, so we may lose her income. In light of this frivolous spending stopped I have spent maybe 50 GBP total on leisure since the start of the year and most of that went when an old friend came down for the weekend and we went to the pub.

I had intended buying three valks now that they are coming out, this time last year I'd have bought the three and the hit FW for another vulture and some tanks without too much to worry about. Now though no matter how much I juggle I can't justify buying one let alone three.

Pacific
24-03-2009, 15:38
I think I'm in a fairly fortunate group - not a house owner, don't have any financial investments which can suffer, and work in primary food production (anything happens to this, then I think we're beyond the point of worrying about it!)

So no, speaking selfishly the financial crisis hasn't mattered a damn to me so far. As for the larger picture, GW survived the recession of the early 90's here in the UK (which was on top of the 'video game explosion' which killed off so many similar hobbies at the time), so I doubt very much if they will go out of business entirely.

daemonkin
24-03-2009, 15:53
Since I have now exchanged everything in the attic at my local GW I no longer feel the need to support them. After a stupendous ******-up last year with a mail order** I placed in store I have sworn to never order to the store again and instead I'll wait until I can hit the 50 free postage to my door.

Online retailers - Wayland games, ND miniatures, Arcane Miniatures offer great prices and a range of discount and postage options.

Ebay, trades and bits are where I'm at now.

D.

** - Mail ordered ticked for Games Day 3 weeks before the event only to have it not show up. I had already booked flights out and back and hotel accommodation so I was not going to be outdone by Mail Order trolls. I managed to get to WHW where the staff gave me a ticket and the GD model in a matter of minutes.

Foolish Mortal
24-03-2009, 15:57
I too have the benefit of not been a house owner & have no major bills to pay (except a loan I took out to pay of credit cards - but that's another story!!), and so far the recession has not effected me yet - I work for a government funded charity and we have just been told that as long as we keep doing what we are doing, they will keep paying (well, at least up to the next election!)

My buying habits have been changing for a while - I used to buy tons of stuff direct from GW, then I took a long, hard look at the giant pile of metal & plastic I had, and severely cut back on my spending.

Recently though, having been introduced to the delights of on-line retailers and their delicious discounts, my spending has crept up slightly - no where near my previous levels, but been cheaper makes it easier to justify........right?

I will never, NEVER go back to spending what I used to on GW stuff, and I am putting away money I used to spend - just in case.

ozzyboy
24-03-2009, 16:14
I haven't seen much change. Granted i live with my parents, and i have job, so i can usually make it to the gamestore every so often. Much to my dismay i haven't been going to the weekly game nights at the store, so i guess i don't make any smalls purchases. A bottle of paint here and there or that blister, but on a larger scale, no.

Seville
26-03-2009, 18:42
Absolutely my spending habits have changed. I am self employed in the US. In real estate. Yep. Last year I made 1/3 what I made in '07. I've made *zero* year to date in '09.

I spent several thousand dollars on GW product in '06 and '07. I've cut back to no more than $50 a month now. Times are hard. But I still consider myself blessed.

Fingers crossed that things pick up soon!

JLBeady
26-03-2009, 19:02
As I got back into the game a couple of years ago, my spending has been making up for lost time what with me rebuilding my space marine army and now head long into Orks, but also supporting my teenage son's habit.

My spending has slowed down in the last 3 months but not because of the recession (though I was nervous about my job for a couple of months), but because I have a backlog of models to build and paint, WD going up to $9 US has cut that out because it is just not worth that price. So other than picking up the odd blister, bitz, or paint I'm not buying much. I'll reward myself with a new model (Likely a Battlewagon) when I finish up at least a 1000 points of my Orks (Got nearly 1700 to build and paint).

Of course I am eyeing a battlefoam bag and some other hobby accessories, but GW won't be the benefit of those purchases.

Morathi's Darkest Sin
26-03-2009, 19:29
Not really changed tbh, hasn't for two years, still clearing old debts, although there is a distant light at the end of the tunnel now, but still looking at another three years before I have any ability to buy figures by the month again.
I will still pick up the odd thing though, plan on grabbing a Imp Guard codex and some limited figs this year, but little else.

Fortuantely a swath of bits and such from previous armies and the liberal use of Green stuff has allowed my Chaos marines to keep growing on the sly, so not all bad. Plus its forcing me to actually paint my figs which is never a bad thing. :)

Hellfury
26-03-2009, 19:59
I haven't purchased anything in almost two years.

I realize that the recent trendy thing to say is that the economy is bad but it has been on a steady decline for a few years now.

I am just glad I was not among the many who spent beyond their means because I only buy what I can pay for with cash. I still am no better off than the people who got greedy though and I am sorely pressed.

But my buying habits are not because of bad economical issues, but more to do with GW not having anything I wish to buy. Re-releasing space hulk is about the only thing that will bring me out of my GW buying dormancy.

Zephro
26-03-2009, 20:04
Well i've not been spending much for years, but that's being a student rather than the economy.

Though when I tried coming back to GW the prices were so much higher than I was used to that I thought **** it and started collecting Historical instead. Spending alot less than I would have done on GW and getting more models for it. Plus the rules are better, and I'm a gamer primarily.

Deamon-forge
26-03-2009, 20:06
i spend not as much now but do like to spend on FW stuff.

xowainx
26-03-2009, 20:34
I realise i'm very lucky as i've just got a new job where i'm going to be earning 5,000 a year more, so my spending habits are definitely going to change.. Realm of Battle Board here I come!

evilsponge
26-03-2009, 20:50
between my job getting rid of my position, price hikes within the hobby, and enrolling myself back into college I won't be buying anything from GW for a long time

Gareth Lorn
27-03-2009, 00:54
My spending habits haven't changed, but then, being fourteen and all, the economy hasn't really hit me. I got started on the hobby with money I got from my birthday and Christmas, built up a decent-sized Ork army.

Now that the new Guard are coming out and I realised I don't like Orks, I'm selling some of my Orks to a friend getting into the game, and also selling all my old collectibles - when I was younger, I used to collect Star Wars action figures. About eighty of them still boxed sitting on my shelf.

Aso, really, my spending habits are the same: scrounge money where I can, then blow it all on the monthly trip to the hobby shop.

Speed Freek
27-03-2009, 01:06
I find that I only want to purchase models at the two local hobby shops. I really want them to stay in business. Even if ebay is tempting, I want to buy locally so that I support continued gaming in the area.

nanktank
27-03-2009, 01:36
My spending habits have certainly changed, not becasue of my job or anything like that, its just I have far too many unpainted models so I am concentrating on finishing everything rather than getting new stuff.

Spyral
27-03-2009, 03:00
I wanted to get a new army and I noticed that my succesful armies are one I've bought battle boxes for and spent a bit of money on. The less successful ones are where I dont buy it all togeher , loose sight of the pie, and say sod it as I don't finsih it. So my latest army, Tau, I spent about E200 online (a full sized 'proper' army is about E300 to buy in GW) but I researched various places before commiting. So more research, buy from cheaper suppliers. I have no loyalty to GW stores as they make loads of money and are here to serve, us , their customers.

Marshal Sinclair
27-03-2009, 10:27
It's not affected me at all. I still buy what and when I want, but I had a mostly disposable income before the "crisis" and I still do, so it's all good.

Chainsofsigil
27-03-2009, 18:31
I'm immune to the negative energies of recession.

Not because of incredible economic foresight or fiscal flexibility, but 'cos I've been so broke for the last three years that I couldn't afford any GW stuff anyway :D

Captain Micha
27-03-2009, 18:44
Every time you turn on the TV or read the paper, you hear how terrible the economy is. Has this affected your hobby spending? Are you more careful with your money? Has your hobby budget shrunk or are you blotting everything out with mad spending sprees?

I'm just interested in whether or not people are tightening their belts or whether niche hobbies aren't bothered by recessions.

I can't really judge for myself as I haven't spent money on any hobbies for about a year (money needed for more important projects, which would have happened whatever the economy was doing).

What are your experiences?

I used to buy in bulk whenever possible. Since I have considerably less money to work with these days I only buy what I absolutely will need for my armies and other hobbies. A unit here or there. But no more large scale purchases of 100 usd or more for me.