PDA

View Full Version : Human Wave Imperial Guard



Awilla the Hun
21-03-2009, 12:03
From the Rumours, I can see that there is a certain officer called Chenkov, who gives you endless human waves of conscripts.

Are there any Guard players out there who have a bristling moustache and a mad urge to shout "baah!", order bayonets to be fixed, and hurl men in until the enemy machine guns run out? And are there any successful ones?

hemogoblin
21-03-2009, 12:21
Yes i am definatly one.
i am working on a krieg army so it would definatly fit the fluff, but my wallet would hate it, and my misses would really HATE it. :P

Arador
21-03-2009, 12:39
Barring extraordinarily unlikely circumstances, that order will not be at all useful. It costs 75 points, which is quite probably more than the actual Conscript squad. So why not simply field more troops?

Dominus_Serui
21-03-2009, 12:39
I've seen it done, not the most reliable of strategies, given that your average guardsman doesn't make the best of assault troops, but with that ammount of dice beeing rolled your bound to win OCCASIONALLY, barring of course when the enemy rolls out a horrible anti-infantry tank, and the sensible opposing commander has seen fit to deal with the units that have capabilities of taking it down...that said the answer to that is fielding allot of cheap anti tank in every squad and hoping for sheer luck on AP.

Depending on how you structure it (i.e. whether its just a consript wave or you've actually taken some additional support, as a player who loves fluff I love armies purely made from maximisation of sheer human bodyweight) its a luck army 90% of the time is what I think I'm trying to say, leaving 10% for playing against equally squishy foes, and people with incredibly bad dice luck see: Grots bringing down Terminators as the classic example

boogle
21-03-2009, 15:38
Well i think it will make for an interesting tactical choice, whether the thought of removing them and bringing them back on will force the enemy to either:

- Ignore them as they don't want them coming back to re-enforce your own objective/take back your own objective late on in the game

- In KP games, take them out so that they do come back again for another KP beating

- Take them on as 50 (100) Rapid Fire lasgun shots is simply frightening

Deadmanwade
21-03-2009, 16:42
I can see this being useful in preventing first turn assaults and so forth.
e.g.
String out the 50 guys in a huge line across your deployment zone
Enemy assaults them and either A) kills them, resulting in you bringing them back on to gun the enemy down or B) doesnt kill them, resulting in you removing them and then bringing them back on to gun the enemy down.
Both situations will leave your opponent's assault unit stuck out in the open with lots of double shooting lasguns pointing at it.

kultz
21-03-2009, 20:19
Free tarpit? Like it. Cram the enemy full of bodies, everywhere they go they get assaulted by useless hordes of guardsmen. Only a portion of the enemy can engage the actual killy part of guard.

The rule seems to be able to remove a conscript squad without giving up KP.

Laser guided fanatic
21-03-2009, 20:20
guard should get a shoot into assault rule.

Axel
21-03-2009, 22:20
guard should get a shoot into assault rule.

Assisted. At least for ordonance weapons. Perhaps normal teams gain that ability if a commissar is in their commandline :-)