PDA

View Full Version : Question on Codices/Armybooks

Sonny Liston
21-03-2009, 12:35
A lot of people seem to think that GW should release trial versions of these books on the intrenet, so that they can be playtested worldwie and loopholes discovered etc. GW does not do this. I do not believe GW are idiots so there must be a reason why they do not do this. Is it because they do not want to give anything away, they want to have surprises? Sorry I'm in a rush so this is poorly worded

Legionary
21-03-2009, 14:12
They don't want to give away their stuff for free. You can't make the testers un-see their PDFs. When it's released those people will probably quickly find out what's changed and amend their version to be current.

Playtesting in general I think they feel is done adequately in-house.

Bookwrak
22-03-2009, 05:25
Allright, they release trial versions of the rules for all to download and play with.

How do they collate and analyze the results and get something useful out it? Do they have to sift through internet forums and see what everyone is saying? How do they identify useful information from crap. If you look back at the threads following codexes leaks for armies like Eldar and Orks, there was a whole lot of stuff flying around, a lot of it noise, very little of it signal. For just about anything you could single out, there were people decrying it was broken/cheese/nerf/suck. Really, it wasn't until months after the actual codex release that opinions started settling down into identifiable patterns, especially with the surge of 'new codex is over-powered argh!' complaints that follow every release).

Godfiend
22-03-2009, 08:05
Really, it wasn't until months after the actual codex release that opinions started settling down into identifiable patterns, especially with the surge of 'new codex is over-powered argh!' complaints that follow every release).

Uh... yeah, that's the whole point. You let out a trial version online, for free, and players test it for a few months. After the initial noise of the book, you can get useful feedback on the book, correct the multitude of mistakes that seem to crop up (and typos!), and release a new one.

I'm not a big fan of the 'testing' idea, but I do believe books should be released more often - about once per 3 years (for each army) would be good.

yabbadabba
22-03-2009, 10:21
Because it hasn't worked for GW. If it did, they would be doing it now.

IJW
22-03-2009, 10:24
I do believe books should be released more often - about once per 3 years (for each army) would be good.
Now sit down and do the maths...

That would mean a 40k or Warhammer army release a month, every month, PLUS rulebooks, expansions and of course LotR/WotR. Their release schedule is a bit slow now, but every three years turnaround simply wouldn't be sustainable.

It's not the the speed of releases that's a problem, it's the uneven distribution.

On the subject of playtest releases I have mixed opinions - on the one hand it could be a good bit of marketing and possibly result in a few less typos/lashes, on the other hand the logistics side is a nightmare - even waiting a few months for the noise to die down would still mean wading through huge numbers of threads and evaluating all the opinions. It would also mean extending the design process by, say, three months per beta version released. Release three versions and you've suddenly added 50% to the length of designing a book, meaning that you're trying to deal with 50% more books at once.

Combine that with a three year turnaround and the studio would potentially be attempting to work on all factions all the time.

Cane
22-03-2009, 15:40
GW would need to have an effective forum system in place before they could release beta rulebooks for the public. Otherwise there'd be no way to track the potential problems. A realistic timeframe and preparation in general needs to be squared away.

Once that is established then it would be a great asset, mainly for us customers. For GW, it'd make them look like a game company that actually gave a damn about their community. However GW shutting down their forums and their overall anti-internet stance suggests that their current business model doesn't focus on long standing customers instead they care for kids with mom's and dad's $$$.

As for the whole paying for the crap argument, anyone with a computer and internet connection can easily get nearly every GW publication made through a single file yet people still buy rulebooks. In the case of the beta rulebook scenario, I doubt GW would let an entire official codex be available free on their site but having just the core rules for free would be awesome.