PDA

View Full Version : What to get next?

bocaj
22-03-2009, 13:47
I'm going to get the BFSP goblins off my mate for £18 to start a orcs and goblins army i'm new to fantasy so i have no idea what to get but i like the look of goblin wolf riders, orc boys amd fanatics.

From BFSP
40 Night Goblin Spearmen
20 Night Goblin Archers
10 Forest Goblin Spider Riders
1 Night Goblin Big Boss
1 Night Goblin Shaman
1 Troll

But what shall i get next?

SuperArchMegalon
22-03-2009, 13:55
I'm no expert on O&G but I'd get some Boyz. If you like Orcs and not just Goblins, you should get some Boyz. A Black Orc general and a couple bolt throwers will go far as well. If you like trolls you may invest in them, but make sure you're absolutely certain you want them.

Disciple of Caliban
22-03-2009, 14:45
If thats what you like, then go for it!

Wolf riders are pretty useful fast cav (as are spider riders), and cheap too, so you can field a fair few if you choose.

Orc boys are a nice cheap way of getting T4 troops, and because of their choppas they can be counted on to have a reasonable damage output regardless of equipment.

Fanatics can be very useful, though against things like eagles and fast cav you'll need to be careful about where you put them.

I really like black orcs (heck, they're what my horde is based around), so i'd suggest a nice meaty unit of them, there armed to da teef rule means they can hurt most things, and if accompanied by a big boss they should be able to handle most units.

If your friend is keeping the dwarfs from skull pass you'll definately want a little bit of shooting, bolt throwers are cheap and effective, so always worth considering, and you can never have too much fast cav! (probably best to stay away from chariots though if you up against cannons + runic bolt throwers)

OldMan
22-03-2009, 16:10
I'm not an expert either, but for what i know you should add some boyz and some machines.

Boyz, because goblins alone can no longer win a battle. Don't count on million of fanatics winning a game for you, as many players do. Fanatics in current edition aren't cost-effective enough to be more than a support (disputable one).

Machines, because the most effective builds in O&G are those that cut down on animosity and other random factors. The biggest problem with this army, is that unlike Skaven the risks aren't justified by rewards. By going machine heavy ( or rather - non animosity heavy) you limit the risks. And the greenskins can actually be suprisingly good in defence.

O&G'sRule
22-03-2009, 16:28
Black orcs are essential if you don't want the complete horde army of goblins imo, they are your only reliable troops (no animosity) and hit hard with their choice of weapons. All I'd really say is make sure ALL units are large and have some night goblins without fanatics just to keep your opponents guessing to which one has them so they can't prepare for them so easily. Whilst I don't agree with everything written this (http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/index.php) website is worth a read to get you started. Giants are fantastic too on their day, they are either awesome gamewinners or completely useless, very rarely anything in between.Orc shamens are alot better than goblin ones, squigs if you play fear causing enemies alot, same for trolls (but keep your general nearby else they do nothing).Spear chukkas, whilst they don't hit often, 70 points for 2 bolt throwers is hardly bad value. Standard Orcs are good but I only take 1 unit, N goblin spearmen are more cost effective imo, if you have a large unit (over 30) go with nets as they effectively turn your goblins into orcs toughness wise. Boar boys are massivly over pointed so Id advise against those at the moment. But mainly play with the armies spirit, don't take anything too seriously, accept things will die and troops won't do what you need them to do at critical moments

Stuffburger
22-03-2009, 16:36
As far as I know ( I casually play O&G and spend too much time on the forums) the mainstay orc units are Boyz with Shield or extra choppa, wolf riders, spear chukkas and fanatics. Really can't go wrong with any of those. Boar chariots are also a good choice against just about every army besides gunline dwarves.

Black orcs are somewhat questionable in their points price but the models are gorgeous so I got them anyway.

What I did to start my O&G army was Skull pass, 2 6th edition starter sets (they give you a general on boar, boar chariot, 16 dual choppa boyz, 16 arrer boys and a musician and standard for either unit) then converted all but 10 arrer boyz to choppa & shield with bits I got on ebay. The 6th ed. starter sets are cheap, and although fairly static 1 piece models they are easy to convert.

selone
22-03-2009, 17:11
Oldman has it right :) Get yourself some orc boyz next and 2 spear chukka's. Whilst I'm no fan of black orc's I can undertsand some are, I seriously suggest you leave them for later if you do decicide to get them though.

phoenixlaw
22-03-2009, 17:22
Your next purchase should be an Orc Character of some type (I'd go Black Orc). Get some more Ld in there !

I'd maybe be thinking about a giant and a couple of bolt throwers too. Just to get something in there to be a threat to big things.

Anardakil
22-03-2009, 18:42
I'd suggest some wolf riders :)

Leogun_91
22-03-2009, 18:54
Orc boyz, wolfriders and fanatics have two good advantages, 1) They are good units that will fit in that army 2) You like them.
In addition I would suggest an orc bigboss (savage, common or black is just up to what you prefer) to lead the orc unit for two reasons 1) they come in packs of 19 so you´d want a chartacter to make them 20, 2) It gives you´r army a decent Ld.