PDA

View Full Version : UK import tax and miniatures

Sleazy
22-03-2009, 15:17
Hey, quick question to you knowledgable types.

I just bought an armorcast reaver from a fella in America. Am I gonna get stung by import duty? Has anyone here done anything like this before?

Griefbringer
22-03-2009, 16:27
For import duties, you might want to check your national customs office.

However, since you are inside EU and the product is coming from outside, expect to pay at least VAT (AFAIK 15% in UK at the moment).

richred_uk
22-03-2009, 17:01
http://tinyurl.com/c8sfta

HM Revenue & Customs link

zedeyejoe
22-03-2009, 17:24
Certainly do it all the time.

As a private person you should expect to pay

VAT (on the shipping as well as it is a service)
Import tax (perhaps)
and a charge for charging all the above.

Generally I cost duties and shipping to be +40% of the item I am buying from the USA.

Sleazy
02-04-2009, 13:45
Just a quick post to say the reaver arrived today, no customs/duty/vat or anything was charged.

Hurrah I have a reaver!

Angelwing
02-04-2009, 14:02
It's pot luck if they pick out your package to charge or not. It's also pot luck if it arrives in good time. It can get stuck at the Mt Pleasant sorting office for some time. I've had two packages from the USA get stuck there for 6 months each...!

Azhrarn
02-04-2009, 14:39
Technically you don't pay duties under a certain value, atleast for the Netherlands this is 100 I believe.

Above that, count on full VAT, duty fees and a nice surcharge for the rendered service. Although I have received those charges on packages under this value. (28 duties and fees on a $50 pack of Army Transport trays for example)

StraightSilver
02-04-2009, 14:51
Under current Import rules anything which is considered a "toy" is exempt from duty for some reason.

So as long as they believe the items are for children, or are classified as toys you should be ok.

Have no idea why though, but that's always been my experience in any case.

zedeyejoe
02-04-2009, 15:08
Under current Import rules anything which is considered a "toy" is exempt from duty for some reason.

I don't think so.

For a more long winded discussion see

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=79989

Dom Skelton is the man on this. Basically if it comes into the UK from outside the EU be prepared to get hit on all except zero-rated items (food, books etc).

The threshold that an item can come into the UK without attracting duty is 18 - so perhaps the Netherlands value is similar (not 100 euros).

TheBigBadWolf
02-04-2009, 15:15
http://tinyurl.com/c8sfta

HM Revenue & Customs link

loving that link :D

I don't think so.

For a more long winded discussion see

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=79989

Dom Skelton is the man on this. Basically if it comes into the UK from outside the EU be prepared to get hit on all except zero-rated items (food, books etc).

The threshold that an item can come into the UK without attracting duty is 18 - so perhaps the Netherlands value is similar (not 100 euros).

Yeh, I have stopped ordering from play asia due to the customs unless its under 18 (usually sale items, older console games etc). The only reason the OP got it through for nothing is they way the poster from america has sent it, i.e. told them it was something else/valued the package low.

StraightSilver
02-04-2009, 15:18
Fair enough, but I have never paid import duty on any kits, miniatures etc whether from the EU or the US and I am based in London.

When I queried it once with the post room where I work they told me it was because they were considered "toys", which are exempt from Import Duty.

However I have paid import duty on paints and tools.

I understand that "toys" are not zero rated in terms of UK VAT, but I don't think that's the same as import duty is it?

Maybe I have just been very lucky up until now but I've only ever paid postage.

Korras
02-04-2009, 15:34
netherlands:
by mail:
up to 22 euro's: no VAT, no 'import taxes', or whatever it translates to.
between 22 and 150 euro's: no 'import taxes', but VAT is applied.
http://www.douane.nl/particulier/internetaankopen/internetaankopen-01.html

if taking the items along during travel:
max 430 or 300, depending on the method of travel. if you have more, then VAT applies. rule of thumb: plane is 430, by land is 300.
http://www.douane.nl/particulier/reizigersbagage/reizigersbagage-05.html

note that this depends purely on luck. even when arriving at the airport, there's only random checks. also, don't use the exit closest to where the Jamaican flight is offloading their luggage, for example. ;)

BLZBOB
02-04-2009, 16:05
Fair enough, but I have never paid import duty on any kits, miniatures etc whether from the EU or the US and I am based in London.

When I queried it once with the post room where I work they told me it was because they were considered "toys", which are exempt from Import Duty.

However I have paid import duty on paints and tools.

I understand that "toys" are not zero rated in terms of UK VAT, but I don't think that's the same as import duty is it?

Maybe I have just been very lucky up until now but I've only ever paid postage.

Lucky indeed, I get hammered quite often, within the EU its not a prob as all duty is paid in country of origin outside the EU its a minefield depening on value of goods sent, customs declarations and which sign is in rising. In general you'll get 15% VAT on your declared value, often you'll be exempted customs duty if its only a toy which means you don't need to pay the extra 3.5% you will however get a clearance fee which varies from carrier to carrier.

I took exemption to one couriers 15 GBP prompt clearance surcharge to get it through customs quicker, I didn't want it quicker and it took them two weeks to get it to me as well as a 100 mile round trip to their office to collect only to find out it wasn't there. Not happy bunny, at all.

Sleazy
02-04-2009, 16:57
he marked it "Toy Robot" and didnt actually put a price on it. I guess customs figured it wasnt worth much (how wrong they were! MWAHAHAHA).

zedeyejoe
02-04-2009, 22:10

I am in Preston and pay duty all the time. Could be that Customs hate me or the fact that I import wargames stuff from the USA for my living. A nice big box full of figures must seem like a soft target for the Customs. But sometimes, just occasionally my parcels get missed. Its never going to happen with decent couriers likie FedEx, they are geared up to doing the job properly.

Lordy
02-04-2009, 22:26
Your allowed a maximum of 36 to be imported into the UK tax free, anything after that they can tax you, even if it has been sent as a gift.

Found this out after getting a really good trade deal from the trading post. Ended up costing 8 handlers fee + about 30 tax i think it was, i was not amused!

Like others have said though it's just pot luck if your item gets through or not.

zedeyejoe
03-04-2009, 07:25
Yes I think thats the point of this discussion, if you know what can happen then you are covered. I reckon that about 2/3rds of the time Joe Bloggs will 'get away with it' provided it has been sent normal post.

machine_recovered_meat
03-04-2009, 08:41
Certainly do it all the time.

As a private person you should expect to pay

VAT (on the shipping as well as it is a service)
Import tax (perhaps)
and a charge for charging all the above.

The charge for calculating it all will be from the shipper - fedex/parcel farce/ups et al, it's their handling fee for ticking a few boxes.

Generally you're more likely to get charged on the higher the value & weight.
If you're freight handler phones and asks, tell them it's samples ;)

RFT
03-04-2009, 11:43
I used to import quite a lot of toys from japan and hong kong: Binaltech transformers, micro RC cars and the sort, and the only thing that ever got hit for import duty was a 1/48 scale Macross VF-1 Valkyrie toy valued at about 75, though that was huge.

So in my experience, generally it didn't happen, but you should always allow for the fact that it can. on the Valk, I had thought it was quite likely to attract VAT and taken that into account, what I had not accounted for, and made me rather annoyed, was the large handling charge Royal mail added on top of the VAT, for effectvely putting the thing on a shelf and sending me a letter demanding money.

daemonkin
03-04-2009, 15:44
Get him to mark the parcel 'Gift' and it should get through fine. Unfortunately the guy in US that I bought some Epic knights from didn't and I have to pay 13 custom duty on top of 33 on the item and postage.

D.

t-tauri
03-04-2009, 16:46
Get him to mark the parcel 'Gift' and it should get through fine. Unfortunately the guy in US that I bought some Epic knights from didn't and I have to pay 13 custom duty on top of 33 on the item and postage.

D.

If Customs discover that it's a sale, for example, by finding included printed ebay or paypal invoices then you and (most likely) the seller could end up in trouble for falsifying the customs declaration.

HM Customs have more powers than the police to seize goods and can really mess up your day if they think you're breaking the law.

selone
03-04-2009, 17:03
I've never had to pay tax on stuff I've won from outside the U.K :o

zedeyejoe
03-04-2009, 19:38
Get him to mark the parcel 'Gift' and it should get through fine.

Naughty. Not good to tell lies on official documents - did you know that customs officials have more power to enter your home than the police do? They can even seize your computer as evidence. So you got to choose, do you feel lucky?

DartzIRL
04-04-2009, 13:58
I never volunteer my tax, whether or not I should legally pay it or not. If they want it, they can ask me for it. Then I'll pay it. If they don't ask, I don't pay.

9/10 with things shipped via Fed-ex, they don't.

By all means, people will say you should be a good citizen, or you should always fallow the letter of the law, but quite frankly, it's a load of bollox.

Just make sure they mail the receipt seperately. And yes, I do feel lucky.

zedeyejoe
04-04-2009, 18:43
I never volunteer my tax, whether or not I should legally pay it or not.

Absolutely. Never give more than is asked for. But lying to evade tax is a different matter. Its just a choice of if you want to be a criminal or not. And I would never become a criminal because someone asked me to do it.

venus_redscar
07-04-2009, 22:20
A 15% Tax just to buy something from another country? And Europe has the balls to call itself a Free place? Disgusting. I wish more people in more places would rebel against these absurd high tax governments....

Netherghoul
07-04-2009, 22:23
mwrehf , received a package from the US....was required to pay extra 50 dollar taxes! why?! :(

TheDarkDuke
08-04-2009, 01:21
Here in Canada and I would guess a lot of it would carry over. Its for starters random. Depending on where you shop they will automatically flag it for customs to allow there company to ship anywhere with ease and security. The only way I have been assured no duty is if it is marked off as a gift. As in someone is sending it to me and I may not know its coming, hence to charge that person a price to accept it would be rather poor business.

zedeyejoe
08-04-2009, 07:23
A 15% Tax just to buy something from another country?

Oh no, its not just other countries its more or less everything you buy. It varies round the EU (Denmark 25%?).

But in exchange we get social services and a healthcare system.

Korras
08-04-2009, 08:33
Oh no, its not just other countries its more or less everything you buy. It varies round the EU (Denmark 25%?).

But in exchange we get social services and a healthcare system.

and a lot of abuse of those systems, but that's an entirely different discussion.

I do find it odd, though, that you can take quite a lot more with you when you are traveling along with the package, then if you receive it through mail. I know, it is for people returning with souvenirs from holidays, but still I'd rather have it all at the same level.

then again.. that would mean less money for the healthcare system. ;)

zedeyejoe
08-04-2009, 08:46
I do find it odd, though, that you can take quite a lot more with you when you are traveling along with the package, then if you receive it through mail.

I think its because its easier to get something in the mail than go abroad, pick it up and bring it back yourself. Trick there is to use it (open the bottle of aftershave, wear the shirt..). But of course we don't get to make the rules, we just live with them.

BLZBOB
08-04-2009, 09:34
Yup traveling with the item is one way round it of you're smart. My friend many moons ago was trying to import a high spec MTB from the states, it cost a lot to do this as ontop of VAT & shipping the exclusive dealer arrangement meant Mr local wanted his cut for just telling the manufacturer where to send it.

In the end he took a weeks holiday to the states and bought it over there, now as it ran to over 4000USD he would have had a large tax bill. However being savvy when he flew over he also took a much, much cheaper bike and it was declared on his luggage, coming back it was still a bike with the luggage and still approximately the same colour just worth a lot more. Even with flights and accommodation he still saved on buying it in the UK. Naturally he posted the warranty information home along with the receipt, wouldn't do to have that on you. Yes a little naughty but if all they do is write Bike-yellow on the form, well...

zedeyejoe
08-04-2009, 12:20
MTB

Motor torpedo boat?

of course if it were

MBT I would imagine main battle tank.

Fredox
08-04-2009, 13:14
MTB - Mountain bike I guess. A few mates did the same a couple years ago and the last couple nearly got charged as they were picking up on the fact it was a different bike. I've ordered a fair few things from the states and always found it to be hit and miss (more miss in my case) but it's normally items I can't get in the uk so I didn't mind.

zedeyejoe
08-04-2009, 13:37
Ah, thank you. As a wargamer I have a fairly one track mind.

Templar Ben
08-04-2009, 14:39
Main Battle Tank? Now Justin you don't honestly think our weapon laws are so lax you can buy tanks here.

Well you can online but that is different.
http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm

Edit:

They even have a Rhino. http://www.armyjeeps.net/XM734M113/1961_m113.htm

Angelwing
08-04-2009, 15:16
Main Battle Tank? Now Justin you don't honestly think our weapon laws are so lax you can buy tanks here.

Well you can online but that is different.
http://www.armyjeeps.net/armor1.htm

So, If you marked a tank as 'gift' on the parcel would you get taxed? :p

BLZBOB
08-04-2009, 16:27
So, If you marked a tank as 'gift' on the parcel would you get taxed? :p

Better make sure its a classic marque so you don't get hit with road tax too ;)